• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky |OT2| Maths Effect

Koh

I'm still loving this game. I spend about 1 night on each planet.

I'm the type of person that just wants to walk to new places in minecraft, so this isn't even close to a disappointment to me.

magawolaz

I can confirm that Extreme Survival is fixed with 1.7
Landed on a extreme planet and waited until the sols started to increase, went into space, went back and it started where I left of.
To be sure I left the planet again and traveled to another planet and went back, still working.

dM2xuxnJCg4H6.gif
Really? I'm doing that trophy right now, 6.4 sols in and I'm already bored

Aenima

Does the patch 1.07 still let you stack vortex cubes and other ships parts when u dismatle them?
Going to install the patch soon.

What is the Vortex Cube glitch?

Dismantle a ship upgrade that gives you a vortex cube back. After that you can stack 100 vortex cubes on top of that one. Is the best way to gather and sell vortex bubes as u can carry alot of them in one go.
It works for other materials too.

Raist

Banned
Found a pretty cool looking small cluster of stars.
I'm going to explore the shit out of it.
Watch it be a collection of toxic/radioactive/frenzy sentinel nightmare

letsago248uor.png

CackleAndHide

Neo Member
I can confirm that Extreme Survival is fixed with 1.7
Landed on a extreme planet and waited until the sols started to increase, went into space, went back and it started where I left of.
To be sure I left the planet again and traveled to another planet and went back, still working.

Another very sensible change! I can't believe they thought the first was was the right was to go from launch... If it was a bug it was a big one to miss.

pompidu

Still cannot find that one last animal. This is really frustrating now, they need to give you some of attempting to find the last animals. It's fucking obnoxious.

Really? I'm doing that trophy right now, 6.4 sols in and I'm already bored

I did the first 2/3 of that trophy the "right" way. Running around the planet, collecting resources to sell, scanning stuff, etc. For last 1/3 my character stood inside a building while I napped.

HoodWinked

Is there some kind of threshold to how extreme the planet's conditions have to be to count towards "Extreme Survival"-milestone? Is it always bad enough if your suit's Hazard Protection units are being exhausted?

It will say extreme on your UI next to your hazard protection bar. Also your suit will say its a extreme hazard planet. As long as you're outside your ship it counts even standing inside any building even though it doesnt drain your protection inside

Raist

Banned
Still cannot find that one last animal. This is really frustrating now, they need to give you some of attempting to find the last animals. It's fucking obnoxious.

Are you just running around hoping for the best, or using the visor properly?

Scrooged

Totally wronger about Nintendo's business decisions.
Has anyone noticed that the crafting menu has a Curiousity tab? Has anyone found a blueprint for one of the curiosities?

There's also a scanner tab in the ship crafting menu. The game wasn't finished and they most likely were scrambling at the last minute pulling out features that weren't ready.

Unai

I've just finished the Atlas path after 43 hours playing this game. I think I'm ready to wait for more content in order to not get burned. I still have to find a better ship and get to center of the galaxy.

Obviously this is a huge spoiler but question about getting to the center of the galaxy

I know that you unlock a new galaxy to explore (which is what I always guess would happen), so its like a new game plus in effect. But thats all I know. Is that literally all that happens or are there story elements, cut scenes or other cool stuff apart from just starting again in the new galaxy?

N° 2048

Obviously this is a huge spoiler but question about getting to the center of the galaxy

I know that you unlock a new galaxy to explore (which is what I always guess would happen), so its like a new game plus in effect. But thats all I know. Is that literally all that happens or are there story elements, cut scenes or other cool stuff apart from just starting again in the new galaxy?

It's the
same crap over and over and over again.

There is nothing in this game
that hasn't been discovered/data mined already.

Raist

Banned
How do you not use it properly?
There some kind of trick?

Something I figured out not that long ago (as in, today >.>). Tagging just in case people want to figure it out themselves. Or maybe everyone else figured that one already, I'm just being slow...

Within view distance more or less, it shows you either green dots or red ones, for discovered/undiscovered species. That one's obvious.

However for longer distances - which from my tests seem to be a LOT - if you hold still you'll notice tiny white dots phasing in, "blip" (as in, emitting an expanding circle), and then vanishing. It basically works like a sonar.

They'll show back up, and the amount of time between each cycle is directly proportional to the distance. I'm not entirely sure what the exact ratio is, it's hard to judge with the messy landscapes etc, but I did a lot of testing and while going for the extreme survival trophy (which didn't really help) and it looked like 1-2s between cycles would be like, maybe something like 30s away, walking.

The unfortunate bit, is that it won't just show undiscovered species. I was expecting it at first, because when you compare green vs red dots within view distance, the red ones "blip" while the green ones don't, so I'm not sure why they made it that way. So you may end up finding an animal you've scanned already. Still, sometimes you can spend a lot of time not even seeing any at all, so it's better than nothing. On average it made things a lot easier for me

Slayven

Has anyone noticed that the crafting menu has a Curiousity tab? Has anyone found a blueprint for one of the curiosities?

I think you're using the signal scanners, the boxes with orange lasers shooting out the top that you use bypass chips on. Transmission towers have one of the round consoles inside and usually an alien sitting inside, interact with the console and you get a simple math puzzle. It always directs you to a ship if you solve it.

For the signal scanner, just keep crafting bypass chips and selecting transmission. Eventually you'll get a transmission tower.
Did not know this thanks

0racle

fucking literally thats it. Select the center....which is just a bigger light. It plays some emo music and just zooms you back out to the edge of the galaxy.

Aenima

Just noticed that patch 1.07 fixed the Photon Cannon of my ship. It used to say 0% and had to target recticle when fighting enemies, now it shows at 100% and the correct target recticle appears again.

Also scanning all animals is faster, not just the flying ones.

Guess just the dudes wanting my shit. I have a grave up in space I'm reluctant to go and get until I spruce up my ship. What are the best upgrades and what order for max (math's?) effect?

All I have ever done to defeat pirates is to add a couple of permanent shield upgrades to my ship (I only have blueprints for two shield upgrades), and build a couple of the best shielding plates available to me before I venture into space. While fighting them, once I have 50% shields or so then I quickly get into the inventory menu, recharge my shield back to 100% (that's what the shielding plates are for) and then continue with the next one. That's literally all I do. I keep a big stack of iron available to build more shield plates during the fights as I'd rather sell titanium and would rather keep my zinc stack intact for other reasons.

I've taken on as many as 4 or 5 pirates at a time using this method and I only recently added a weapon upgrade to my photon cannons to increase the rate of fire (I think). Also, using phase beams are practically an "auto hit" but I've recently started using the photon cannon as I like the rate of fire.

If you are getting really hammered, then boost back down to the planet as quickly as you can - enemy ships seem to have a much harder time fighting you on the planet's surface (and that's if they even follow you there to begin with).

Guess just the dudes wanting my shit. I have a grave up in space I'm reluctant to go and get until I spruce up my ship. What are the best upgrades and what order for max (math's?) effect?

The TAU and/or THETA Shield is a MUST HAVE if you plan to have ship battles.

You also need a supply of titanium/zinc at all times in case something happens. If you have the receipe for the shield parts recharge that you can make with iron , then just fill a 500 ship slot with iron and you will be fine. Otherwise kill some sentinels untill you get the same but with titanium . Out of the 3 , zinc also works but is harder to get ( than titanium or iron )

Raist

Banned

They'll be gone, you can return to your grave safely.

Here's what I do:

As soon as I get the 2nd message "valuable cargo found" or whatever, I stop the pulse drive (if I'm currently using it) and just fly at normal speed in a straight line. They'll ALWAYS get out of their warp right in front of you (you'll see giant concentric red circles flashing).
That gives you a window to blast at least one or two of them, depending on your gear.

General dogfighting tips:

- The most efficient I found is to basically imitate them, so not accelerating constantly. Particularly if you just directly cross path with them (as in, front-to-front encounter), slow down with L2 and turn around immediately. You can even troll them and keep holding L2 once you have them in view (preventing them to close the distance too quickly).

- The most efficient and quickest way to turn generally, by far, is to roll and pull up, not merely use the right stick, which you should mostly use to adjust your view. It takes some practice, but when it becomes natural, it's damn efficient.

- As for upgrades, I absolutely hate the mining beam thing, but a lot of people think it's better. Up to you I guess. Better shield is obviously a must have. I put all three upgrades as soon as I could, but now I only kept tiers 2 and 3 because I need it less and less. Last time I joined a 30+ spaceships battle, I recharged 3 times. I'll probably get rid of them progressively and see how that goes.
Otherwise I have a +2 damage on the photon cannon, and the +1 and +2 accelerated fire. They go down pretty fast with that only already.

Aenima

What i have in my ship is all Laser upgrades on it, and all the 3 shield upgrades too. Laser is really good as it auto locks in the target and u can just melt them. Sometimes i defeat around 7 pirates without even needing to recharge my shield.
Only when pirates also use lasers on me i have to recharge the shield and only once.

labx

Banned
The TAU and/or THETA Shield is a MUST HAVE if you plan to have ship battles.

You also need a supply of titanium/zinc at all times in case something happens. If you have the receipe for the shield parts recharge that you can make with iron , then just fill a 500 ship slot with iron and you will be fine. Otherwise kill some sentinels untill you get the same but with titanium . Out of the 3 , zinc also works but is harder to get ( than titanium or iron )

Question: If I want to get full buffs from my shields, lasers, etc., do I have to put them in strict order? Beta, Theta, Tau? Or which order do I have to place my upgrades?

Septimius

Question: If I want to get full buffs from my shields, lasers, etc., do I have to put them in strict order? Beta, Theta, Tau? Or which order do I have to place my upgrades?

If upgrades touch, you get a small bonus. Longer chains, bigger (but still small) bonus. Mac bonus is about 5%. Order isn't relevant.

Aenima

No. But you get a extra bonus if u place them next to each other in the slot grid. They will get a yellow outline around them when they are "conected".

Wow, thank you all for the comments and tips. I realize my issue was simply holding L2 and firing away as they continuously fired at me. I never stopped to patch my shield or anything. Just sprayed and prayed. Guess I need to learn to micromanage.

You know what would be cool? Second screen play. Having your inventory open on your vita or smart phone and managing it that way (or getting someone else to do it for you).

Vindicator

Hated those pirate invasions at first but now with upgraded cannon damage & fire rate it's payback time.
In the moment they materialize they're getting annihilated lol

All Hello Games needs to do on PS4 at this point to make me completely happy with this game (after fixing any remaining bugs/crashes) is to simply add a freaking option to disable the HUD completely and *ideally* add a button that lets me take a screenshot (without having to do it through the PS4 itself) that would remove the iconography and other HUD elements from the resultant screenshot. Then their 1970's sci-fi book cover generation program will be complete and I can get back to taking more screenshots.

And for those people who are not enjoying this game.... well, I can understand getting frustrated with the crashes and bugs, but besides those annoyances, the amount of enjoyment that a person gets from this game is based on how much imagination they have and what they make of the game. This is definitely a sandbox game - you are given this playground and the amount of fun you derive from it is limited on what imagination and creativity you bring with you. I find that refreshing in a world where too many games want to limit what you can do and tell you that you have to do certain things in this way and you always have to do things "their" way. This game.... if you see a location you can go to it. If you see a planet, you can go to it. If you see a solar system - you can go to it. And (besides the slightly obnoxious message about "Your destiny lies in the stars...") there is nobody telling you what you have to do, giving you a time limit to do it in, or telling you how to do it.

Here's an example of a "log" I put together of my adventures in just one single system in this game - and there are at least billions of systems in this game. (I calculated that there are about 2.5 billion planets/moons per human on our planet so.... yeah).

1) After arriving in-system, I jumped right into a battle happening around me between a group of pirates attacking a small group of freighters. The freighter group put out a distress signal and I decided to help.

2) After carefully picking off the nine pirate attack ships I performed an in-depth system scan that picked up an abadoned outpost on a large planet. I headed to it.

3) The planet had mostly a light brown coloration with dark brown areas. After arriving on the system I realized that the light brown color was from a large ocean that covered most of the planet and the few dark areas were small continents and islands. I named the brown planet "Mud" due to its brown coloration and brownish water.

4) I did not conduct a very intensive survey of the planet and touched down on a small island near the waypoint for the abandoned outpost - which I found to be completely submerged in the ocean waters. I exited my craft and found Mud to be slightly cold but with no hostile Sentinels, little flora and some fauna.

5) I departed Mud to survey another planet in the system to acquire iron ore to add water filtration tech to my Exosuit to prepare for the long swim that I would encounter underwater.

6) After choosing a nearby planet I arrived without incident and found the planet to be a "Verdant" class and very lush with a lot of trees and even the animals were mostly gentle herbivores except for small crab-like creatures that were a little bit of a menace but they were not too prevalent. I spent a fair bit of time on this planet that I named "Dryad" due to the green colors, the trees, and the overall gentless and peacefulness of the planet and its wildlife.

7) After mining for the resources I needed and upgrading my Exosuit I travelled back to Mud where I landed in the same spot I had previously landed and headed into the muddy, murky waters. Although hesitant at first, because I did not know if there was going to be any hostile water creatures, I relaxed a little bit and made my way to the abandoned outpost. The only animals I encountered on the way were groups of harmless fish.

8) After investigating the outpost I headed back to my ship and flew around the planet of Mud to perform a more detailed survey. I found that several of these islands ended up being very tall mountains. I landed on a flat mesa that was home to several buildings (including a landing pad) and made friends with a single bipedal dinosaur-looking creature that had a friendly dragon face that I named "Friendly Fred". My analysis said his age was "Perpetual" so he must be immortal or at least centuries or thousands of years old. After feeding him iron ore, he dug up some plants that I could harvest platinum from and he eventually excreted gold for me!

9) After playing with my new friend it was starting to get dusk and I wanted to see what the view looked like from on top of one of those tall mountains. I flew up and landed as near the top as I could but had to finish the climb on my own. When I finally reached the top I was amazed at the view. As the atmosphere was so thin so high up I could literally see all across the horizon where I could see a couple of other high mountains and I was even able to slightly make out the curvature of the planet.

10) After admiring the view from the mountain top until daybreak (beautiful sunrise by the way) on Mud I boarded my ship and hunted for a few resources. I found a cave not too far that promised plutonium and other rare elements. As I walked up to the cave I very unexpectedly encountered a cat with two pairs of wings (it had four wings) but, thankfully, it was peaceful and it simply mewed at me and ran off. After gathering my needed resources and refueling my ship and refitting my exosuit and multi-tool, I said goodbye to Mud and headed out to visit the third planet in the system.

11) This next planet was a a reddish color and was closer to the sun. After landing and conducting an initial survey I found it to be a desert planet with a varied amount of plants resembling various types of Earth cacti (cactus) and between the cactus, the desert terrain, and the mountains in the distance it reminded me of the old American southwest so I named the planet "Albuquerque".

12) After tooling around on Albuquerque I decided to finally head for the most intriguing looking planet I noticed in the system when I first arrived - a very large Earth-looking blue planet with two small moons orbiting it.

13) I headed to this new planet and decided to visit its two moons before landing on the planet itself. The first moon I selected ended up being a very frigid planet with an almost constant snow storm and frigid winds blowing all of the time. After waiting for a paticularly bad storm to pass I ventured out into the wilderness and found it to be very rocky with trees and small lakes. The lakes were filled with carnivorous fish and steam was constantly being released from the lake so I did not enter the water. I was attacked by a couple of various beasts while roaming around but thankfully not this nightmare monster which I saw walking around and luckily avoided. This thing was an absolutely scary-looking horned bipedal carnivorous "meat-eating" demon that I chose to just completely avoid.

14) One particuarly creepy, but interesting, item of note on this moon was the abundance of hovering spheres with a few tentacles hanging below them. They did not move at all but were definitely alive as their bodies were pulsating. My analysis tool would not pick them up at all - even after trying on several different ones. I shot one of them - and then others - just to see what would happen and was surprised that
I had received an amount of the incredibly rare radnox isotope but they did not retalitate.
I wonder if they were from some other dimension or some kind of very weird experiment? Due to the overall hostile nature of this moon I only stayed long enough to
gather a decent amount of radnox
and then left to visit the other moon orbiting the large planet.

15) The second moon proved to be more like a typical moon as it had no atmostphere and no life. I gathered a few resources but soon left due to the hostile Sentinels.

16) Now it was time to visit the main planet. I lifted off from the moon and flew in. After landing at an unpopulated encampment of two shelters I found, my planet scan uncovered that the planet was full of aggressive Sentinels - even more hostile than the ones I encountered on the second moon. The planet itself did not impress me overly much although I was able to catalog a single herbivorous animal on the outskirts of the shelter. I was attacked numerous times by Sentinel drones even while just walking around the shelters so I decided to say "good bye" to this obvious Sentinel haven and its two deadly moons.

17) I lifted off from the planet and after conducting some trade on the system's space station, it was time to discover what the next system would hold for me.

I keep thinking there's a lot of upgrades missing.i have an Omega level something for my multi-tool, but no Omega anything on other stuff. Also some of the rare elements seem to have no function other then to sell.

Probably get patched in later.

I keep thinking there's a lot of upgrades missing.i have an Omega level something for my multi-tool, but no Omega anything on other stuff. Also some of the rare elements seem to have no function other then to sell.

Probably get patched in later.

Thinking that too. Have had no need for either Radnox or Murrine but I keep a 500 stack of each for future recepies.

Seiniyta

After they fixed stuff.

We could get his stuff next week who knows

We could get the base building sooner then later..all the files for it, menu, building blocks seem to be in place. Might just need bugfixing/some redesigns if they deem necessary to actually activate it.

Top Bottom