• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky |OT2| Maths Effect

Flandy

Is there any way to check version number on PC? It didn't update when I downloaded it just now. Or are patches downloaded along with the game?

Arkham

The Amiga Brotherhood
If you find a planet with Albumen Pearls, never leave.

Early on in my playthrough I found a planet with a ton of these and an outpost with a portable GTT. I was able to completely fill up my inventory and sell them all for about 900K every 5 minutes, and this was before I had maxed out inventory.

I just finished loading up on materials and making Terumin (3 passes with about 20 per pass) -- the system's station was buying 1 piece for +103% (about 98k}! During my 0-10 Survival marathon I did the same thing with Graviton Balls and a local outpost that bought them for about 35k each.

Guess just the dudes wanting my shit. I have a grave up in space I'm reluctant to go and get until I spruce up my ship. What are the best upgrades and what order for max (math's?) effect?

With all three shield upgrades linked, they barely do any damage to you. With a fully upgraded photon cannon, you can basically one shot them. They're really just a nuisance once you're fully upgraded. You can fly in a straight line for a few minutes before you're in any real danger if you're getting attacked by 3-4 pirates, which is the number I usually see

But if you're just trying to get to your grave, do the shield upgrades. The order doesn't matter, just have them all touching each other and the base shield unit, although I have mine linked Sigma, Tau, Theta with Sigma touching the base unit. If your base shield unit happens to have a slot open to the right or left, set it up in a square.

Alternately, load up your ship with resources to recharge the shield. You can keep the shield up indefinitely if you keep shoveling the resources in.

r1chard

So I don't know if it was ever proven or not that "small" butterflies exist but I totally believe they can after running into these things on this planet I ended my session on right now.

The butterflies things is interesting - I read a sci-fi story last year whose premise is that an extra-dimensional (ascended?) being created our solar system to see what interesting things it would produce, and it turns out the most unique thing it produced is butterflies. So one day it turns up and harvests *all* the butterflies. Humanity is utterly powerless in the face of it.
And then "turns out the light" as it leaves.
. Can't remember the name of the story or author though, dammit.

Raist

Banned
So my exploration of that neat stars cluster is not off to a great start.
One of the most barren planets I've seen for sure. Even Zinc/Plat etc flowers are super rare. Oh, it's mildly radioactive too, but after spending hours on a planet with 320C storms this seems like a walk in the park.

Still, 10 species to scan. Once I'm done we'll see what the next one has to offer.

Mossybrew

It's pretty funny that pirates attack you because they want your "valuable cargo" but even if you die they don't take it. "Nah changed my mind that's all trash let's bail"

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
It's pretty funny that pirates attack you because they want your "valuable cargo" but even if you die they don't take it. "Nah changed my mind that's all trash let's bail"

they never said the Pirates wanted it, they just want to make sure no one else has it

Remf

Lol, is it bad that I've spent over 20 hours playing without warping to another area? I've ended up just flying around on each planet in my area trying to locate all marker locations. Those question marks "?" are like crack to me.

Damn the hate, I love this game!!

Loudninja

Lol, is it bad that I've spent over 20 hours playing without warping to another area? I've ended up just flying around on each planet in my area trying to locate all marker locations. Those question marks "?" are like crack to me.

Yeah I do try not to follow everyone though If I do I never leave a planet lol.

Raist

Banned
So, what are you guys' stats?

On-foot travel: 514,982u
Alien Encouters: 85
Words collected: 642
Most units: 7,227,078
Ships destroyed: 267
Sentinels destroyed: 305
Extreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeme survival: 32.5 sols
Space exploration: 95
planet zoology: 22

Why would it be bad? The whole point of the game is to do whatever is fun for you. Which seems to have confused a lot of people.

Not bad at all. I haven't run into a system I'd want to spend that much time in, though, and I'm still trying to find that comforting snow planet I've been looking for since the beginning. I came across a moon that was close but not close enough.

Raist

Banned
Did 1.07 make the extreme survival not reset if you leave the planet? I can't find an extreme planet to test.

Yes.

Here's a list of changes (non-official, but I'm fairly confident it's accurate, please correct me if I'm wrong):

- Extreme ticker thing doesn't reset

- Scanning is faster

- Some actions are faster (crafting, transfer for instance) while others, likely more "sensitive" are still the same (discarding, selling)

- flying creatures are now easy to scan

- weight/height typo fixed

- LOD issues / pop in reduced

- Gek tower glitch fixed

- Uploading planets with no animals fixed

Can't say if the game crashes less, I've had 3 total, all during hyperdrive warps, and none ever since patch 1.04.

E92 M3

Yes.

Here's a list of changes (non-official, but I'm fairly confident it's accurate, please correct me if I'm wrong):

- Scanning is faster

- Some actions are faster (crafting, transfer for instance) while others, likely more "sensitive" are still the same (discarding, selling)

- Gek tower glitch fixed

Can't say if the game crashes less, I've had 3 total, all during hyperdrive warps, and none ever since patch 1.04.

My pop in has become a lot worse after the patch. Grass just appearing as I walk and other things. Also, animals aren't spawning.

So weird.

Aenima

Yes.

- Scanning is faster

- Gek tower glitch fixed

Also fixed Photon Cannon that showed 0% and didnt had a target recticle during fights. Now Photon Cannon shows at 100% and the correct combat rectile appears.

Not everyone ships was afected by this, mine was one of those that was and is now fixed after the patch.

PowderedToast

All Hello Games needs to do on PS4 at this point to make me completely happy with this game (after fixing any remaining bugs/crashes) is to simply add a freaking option to disable the HUD completely and *ideally* add a button that lets me take a screenshot (without having to do it through the PS4 itself) that would remove the iconography and other HUD elements from the resultant screenshot. Then their 1970's sci-fi book cover generation program will be complete and I can get back to taking more screenshots.

And for those people who are not enjoying this game.... well, I can understand getting frustrated with the crashes and bugs, but besides those annoyances, the amount of enjoyment that a person gets from this game is based on how much imagination they have and what they make of the game. This is definitely a sandbox game - you are given this playground and the amount of fun you derive from it is limited on what imagination and creativity you bring with you. I find that refreshing in a world where too many games want to limit what you can do and tell you that you have to do certain things in this way and you always have to do things "their" way. This game.... if you see a location you can go to it. If you see a planet, you can go to it. If you see a solar system - you can go to it. And (besides the slightly obnoxious message about "Your destiny lies in the stars...") there is nobody telling you what you have to do, giving you a time limit to do it in, or telling you how to do it.

Here's an example of a "log" I put together of my adventures in just one single system in this game - and there are at least billions of systems in this game. (I calculated that there are about 2.5 billion planets/moons per human on our planet so.... yeah).

1) After arriving in-system, I jumped right into a battle happening around me between a group of pirates attacking a small group of freighters. The freighter group put out a distress signal and I decided to help.

2) After carefully picking off the nine pirate attack ships I performed an in-depth system scan that picked up an abadoned outpost on a large planet. I headed to it.

3) The planet had mostly a light brown coloration with dark brown areas. After arriving on the system I realized that the light brown color was from a large ocean that covered most of the planet and the few dark areas were small continents and islands. I named the brown planet "Mud" due to its brown coloration and brownish water.

4) I did not conduct a very intensive survey of the planet and touched down on a small island near the waypoint for the abandoned outpost - which I found to be completely submerged in the ocean waters. I exited my craft and found Mud to be slightly cold but with no hostile Sentinels, little flora and some fauna.

5) I departed Mud to survey another planet in the system to acquire iron ore to add water filtration tech to my Exosuit to prepare for the long swim that I would encounter underwater.

6) After choosing a nearby planet I arrived without incident and found the planet to be a "Verdant" class and very lush with a lot of trees and even the animals were mostly gentle herbivores except for small crab-like creatures that were a little bit of a menace but they were not too prevalent. I spent a fair bit of time on this planet that I named "Dryad" due to the green colors, the trees, and the overall gentless and peacefulness of the planet and its wildlife.

7) After mining for the resources I needed and upgrading my Exosuit I travelled back to Mud where I landed in the same spot I had previously landed and headed into the muddy, murky waters. Although hesitant at first, because I did not know if there was going to be any hostile water creatures, I relaxed a little bit and made my way to the abandoned outpost. The only animals I encountered on the way were groups of harmless fish.

8) After investigating the outpost I headed back to my ship and flew around the planet of Mud to perform a more detailed survey. I found that several of these islands ended up being very tall mountains. I landed on a flat mesa that was home to several buildings (including a landing pad) and made friends with a single bipedal dinosaur-looking creature that had a friendly dragon face that I named "Friendly Fred". My analysis said his age was "Perpetual" so he must be immortal or at least centuries or thousands of years old. After feeding him iron ore, he dug up some plants that I could harvest platinum from and he eventually excreted gold for me!

9) After playing with my new friend it was starting to get dusk and I wanted to see what the view looked like from on top of one of those tall mountains. I flew up and landed as near the top as I could but had to finish the climb on my own. When I finally reached the top I was amazed at the view. As the atmosphere was so thin so high up I could literally see all across the horizon where I could see a couple of other high mountains and I was even able to slightly make out the curvature of the planet.

10) After admiring the view from the mountain top until daybreak (beautiful sunrise by the way) on Mud I boarded my ship and hunted for a few resources. I found a cave not too far that promised plutonium and other rare elements. As I walked up to the cave I very unexpectedly encountered a cat with two pairs of wings (it had four wings) but, thankfully, it was peaceful and it simply mewed at me and ran off. After gathering my needed resources and refueling my ship and refitting my exosuit and multi-tool, I said goodbye to Mud and headed out to visit the third planet in the system.

11) This next planet was a a reddish color and was closer to the sun. After landing and conducting an initial survey I found it to be a desert planet with a varied amount of plants resembling various types of Earth cacti (cactus) and between the cactus, the desert terrain, and the mountains in the distance it reminded me of the old American southwest so I named the planet "Albuquerque".

12) After tooling around on Albuquerque I decided to finally head for the most intriguing looking planet I noticed in the system when I first arrived - a very large Earth-looking blue planet with two small moons orbiting it.

13) I headed to this new planet and decided to visit its two moons before landing on the planet itself. The first moon I selected ended up being a very frigid planet with an almost constant snow storm and frigid winds blowing all of the time. After waiting for a paticularly bad storm to pass I ventured out into the wilderness and found it to be very rocky with trees and small lakes. The lakes were filled with carnivorous fish and steam was constantly being released from the lake so I did not enter the water. I was attacked by a couple of various beasts while roaming around but thankfully not this nightmare monster which I saw walking around and luckily avoided. This thing was an absolutely scary-looking horned bipedal carnivorous "meat-eating" demon that I chose to just completely avoid.

14) One particuarly creepy, but interesting, item of note on this moon was the abundance of hovering spheres with a few tentacles hanging below them. They did not move at all but were definitely alive as their bodies were pulsating. My analysis tool would not pick them up at all - even after trying on several different ones. I shot one of them - and then others - just to see what would happen and was surprised that
I had received an amount of the incredibly rare radnox isotope but they did not retalitate.
I wonder if they were from some other dimension or some kind of very weird experiment? Due to the overall hostile nature of this moon I only stayed long enough to
gather a decent amount of radnox
and then left to visit the other moon orbiting the large planet.

15) The second moon proved to be more like a typical moon as it had no atmostphere and no life. I gathered a few resources but soon left due to the hostile Sentinels.

16) Now it was time to visit the main planet. I lifted off from the moon and flew in. After landing at an unpopulated encampment of two shelters I found, my planet scan uncovered that the planet was full of aggressive Sentinels - even more hostile than the ones I encountered on the second moon. The planet itself did not impress me overly much although I was able to catalog a single herbivorous animal on the outskirts of the shelter. I was attacked numerous times by Sentinel drones even while just walking around the shelters so I decided to say "good bye" to this obvious Sentinel haven and its two deadly moons.

17) I lifted off from the planet and after conducting some trade on the system's space station, it was time to discover what the next system would hold for me.
I haven't played the game yet, but this was so fun to read. thanks :)

Loudninja

these changes and more are inbound for Steam, GoG and PS4 in an upcoming patch :)
https://twitter.com/hellogames/status/769673487686504448

UPDATE: Experimental Branch
Objectives and stuck without Hyper-drive Issues
  • Player no longer able to redeem your pre-order ship at a point which would then prevent you learning the hyper-drive blueprint (and if you have done this, we save you).
  • Player no longer able to bypass being sent to find hyper-drive tech by reloading a save in game at a very specific point.

Getting Stuck in the world
  • Fixed a couple of low repro bugs that could result in you falling through the world and getting stuck underground.
  • A raycast in some space stations could hit a very specific point that would put the player inside the floor.
  • Fixed an issue that would cause your ship to be thrown in the sky at high speed when taking off (in rare cases could in turn lead to getting stuck).
  • Fixed an issue that would cause your ship to get stuck in terrain and prevent you from taking off, if the player managed to out run generation of terrain LOD 1, and land inside an overhang.

Gameplay
  • Some players were unable to achieve the extreme survival journey milestone, this has been resolved.
  • Fixed an issue where some players had some technology types being reported as "already known" when they weren't actually known.
  • Under some circumstances a message was sometimes misinforming you that you learnt a blueprint when you hadn't, this has been fixed now.
  • It was possible you could use up all available slots for waypoints on the galaxy map and be unable to set new waypoints. This is much better now.
  • There was a bug that could cause objective markers to disappear when you loaded a previous save. This is fixed now.
  • Fixed a rare issue when scanning creatures that would cause all planets to show as 100% complete even if you had only completed one.

Save / Load
  • Fixed a bug what could cause some corrupt save games to not be loaded, this is now fixed.
  • Fixed an issue where saves made with the system clock set in the future could cause problems.

Crash Fixes
  • Fixed a crash that would sometimes happen when warping into a system with a space battle in progress.
  • Fixed a crash that could happen when interacting with an NPC.

Tweaks and Improvements
  • It is now easier to scan flying creatures.
  • Fixed height and weight stats being the wrong way around for creatures.
  • Gek towers can no longer be interacted with repeatedly.
  • The 'You have unredeemed items' message will now only show for the first 5 minutes.
  • Fixed getting 0% charge on Photon Cannon when buying a new ship and constantly being prompted to charge it.
  • Reduce Suit VO for life support warnings and only do life support VO on 25% and 50%.
  • Fixed grave being transferred to the new star system after you warp.
  • Fixed toxic protection 3 (theta) from having the wrong name.
  • Fixed incorrect marking of sea caves under floating islands.
  • Turning down music and SFX volume in the options will now work correctly (mutes the VO also).
  • If you change ship or multi-tool and then revert to previous save the ship should now be the one you had at the time.
  • Atlas station collision improvements to prevent you from bumping into them too much.
  • Fix for the stars not being discarded during load/warp (causing duplicate stars).

PC Only Issues
  • Editing the settings file and corrupting it could cause the game to crash. Instead of crashing it will now revert back to the default settings.
  • The inventory screen now works correctly regardless of resolution.
  • Added error message for older CPUs without SSE3 support.
  • Synchronise frame capping with the first vsync (removes some framerate issues).
  • Added steam id to login call to help track down some login issues.
  • Fixed the X key size on the galaxy map.
  • If you press Tab+P in quick succession, the game paused and didn't let you out of it.
  • Fixed a performance issue by defaulting your texture resolution to a sensible value based on available GPU memory.
http://steamcommunity.com/app/275850/discussions/7/360672383121166985/

I'm torn between wishing this game had a quick-save option and wishing this game would be crash-free, since the only reason I need a quick-save at all is because of crashes. Especially ones that happen as your ship is landing, second away from making a new save.

Raist

Banned
OK, I've tested this several times, it seems they fixed the bug where mining a good chunk of deposits closest to the ground wouldn't yield anything. Anyone confirm?

OK, I've tested this several times, it seems they fixed the bug where mining a good chunk of deposits closest to the ground wouldn't yield anything. Anyone confirm?

Oh thank god I hope so!!!

I'm out running errands I'll check tonight! I fucking hated that shit!

I had this still happening today, it actually seemed worse. I came across un-mineable chunks. Lead to some very weird looking deposits where sections were untouched

E92 M3

This patch has made the dithering/pop in better than the last update. Lot better than before which made it really, really noticeable for me. It was my biggest complaint from the last update.

So weird why it looks worse for me. Just my luck lol.

Was perfectly happy before the patch.

VARIA

My current ship:
M560RHk.jpg

Possibly spoilery (Atlas Stations):

http://i.imgur.com/xgXah5B.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/kh4oEbp.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Vk77VV7.jpg

SenkiDala

Ok I had no problem with the patch 1.06 (ps4) but now with this 1.07 the game is crashing again, and worst, now it made freeze my PS4 (it's freezing since 20 minutes now I guess I'll turn it off manually...)... Great.

Also I had a bug, I did scan all the animals on a planet, I was at 100% but it wouldn't upload at all... It kept saying "press X to upload and receive XXX units"...

I love the game overall, I stay away of the bad shitty things that I hear about the game, but it's getting annoying.

noomi

For those playing on PC....

Do you notice when flying around the mouse controls just seem totally weird and floaty (this is with amoothing at 0).

Sometime i cant turn the way i want or move up or down... Very frustrating

Slay

It was possible you could use up all available slots for waypoints on the galaxy map and be unable to set new waypoints. This is much better now.
You still cannot remove them, but yeah this patch fixed my game. Because of this i had to travel 90000LY only using the still crappy 1600LY (we mean 400) warp reactor theta. I got rid of 2 out of 3 of the waypoints. The last one it was saying "path to atlas interface" but it too was pointing way way back.

So I've made a few jumps, and an anomaly apeared. I chose the Atlas path, it edited the waypoint, to point at a near atlas interface. I've reached the Atlas station, failed the objective, but still got the view black holes in the galaxy gift.

I'm now only 45000LY away from the center

Ok I had no problem with the patch 1.06 (ps4) but now with this 1.07 the game is crashing again, and worst, now it made freeze my PS4 (it's freezing since 20 minutes now I guess I'll turn it off manually...)...

I have played probably about 30 hours and only had two crashes. I am about 10 minutes into playing with 1.07 and it has already crashed twice for me. It seems to crash whenever I fly my ship. Definitely regret updating...

SenkiDala

I have played probably about 30 hours and only had two crashes. I am about 10 minutes into playing with 1.07 and it has already crashed twice for me. It seems to crash whenever I fly my ship. Definitely regret updating...

Yeah... The worst patch for me was the 1.04 or 05 (can't remember sorry...) I was crashing like every 5/20 minutes... It was awful.

I think I've 100h+ in the game, I'm reallyyyyy taking my time and I am very slow at scanning planets... I takes me between 1h to 5h to scan one... I've no problem scanning them when I see them, it's just... Sometimes I CANNOT find them, wherever I go, on the ground, under the water, in the sky, in caves... I think it's kinda too hard to 100% scan a planet (at least to me). Is there any GOOD upgrade to get to help? I can see green/red dots, I think I can scan more far away things than before but... Still it's sooo slow. Or I just suck. :D

pots555

Hi guys,

I've been pretty let down by the game but still played for 20 hours before getting burned out. Almost all of my planets were the same and I never saw really high mountains or very deep oceans. My creatures were almost all similar in design and never saw a really big one.

From what I'm reading lately, it seems I'm not lucky. But I have not seen things in screenshots that convince me those things exists. I've read about them but never saw screens actually showing them.

So, could you please share those awesome moments or planets? It would give me reason to keep going.

I'm on the Atlas path by the way. Thanks!!!

noomi

Just read that they fixed the gek tower thing, glad i got my 48 when I did.

Just need a multi tool and atlas v2 now

I thought that was just part of the game, some areas of the deposits have more resources than others. Scanning creates a grid around the parts with resources, the parts without resources aren't highlighted... They are still destructible, but you won't get anything. Use your scanner to see what's worth mining and what isn't.

Or are you talking about something else that I haven't experienced?

Raist

Banned
I had this still happening today, it actually seemed worse. I came across un-mineable chunks. Lead to some very weird looking deposits where sections were untouched

That's a different thing. Some deposits (especially the large ones) have a core made of rock. It's not a bug. I'm talking about actually mining stuff but not getting resources from it. It worked fine originally and that issue showed up at some point after a patch.

SenkiDala

Hi guys,

I've been pretty let down by the game but still played for 20 hours before getting burned out. Almost all of my planets were the same and I never saw really high mountains or very deep oceans. My creatures were almost all similar in design and never saw a really big one.

From what I'm reading lately, it seems I'm not lucky. But I have not seen things in screenshots that convince me those things exists. I've read about them but never saw screens actually showing them.

As I said before I really have a lot of hours into the game and I can tell you that as much as I like the game (I hadn't godlike expectations I was pretty realistic about an indie studio producing a game like that), there is no really HUGE animals or mountains or abyss... I was telling myself the same thing 1h ago, after more than 120h into the game I still didn't find any big mountain, the biggest mountain I've seen takes maybe 3 minutes to climb... And under the sea it's worst. It's a dissapointing thing for me since at least I expected that. About animals I haven't seen anything taller than 3 or 4 meters high (sorry I dunno anything about inches...), so it's like the double of the size of a basketball player at max(pretty cool comparison point right? :D).

Raist

Banned
Hi guys,

So, could you please share those awesome moments or planets? It would give me reason to keep going.

I'm on the Atlas path by the way. Thanks!!!

Sorry, can't provide a ton of examples, busy with the game and that would require transferring a lot more new screens, but from the first batch I copied over here's one:

nomanssky_20160813211cjxdv.png

It's not a LOD issue or whatever, it's "fog". It's that relatively thin layer you can keep flying through, let's say half way on the way out of the atmostphere. I'm obviously on foot here though. And there's a mountain probably as big in the far distance.

Top Bottom