• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky |OT2| Maths Effect

Someone on Reddit says a user got a refund at 72 hours. I agree that's a little extreme. If I was a dev and someone played my game for 72 hours then got a full refund I'd be pissed.

To be fair, some of those people are experiencing bugs which prevent them from continuing to play the game in any capacity whatsoever. I agree that someone who plays a game for 50+ hours and then asks for a refund seems to be making a mockery of any common sense, but if that person legitimately wants to continue but a game-breaking bug makes them unable to even launch the application, yeah, I'm putting that on the developer. I'm loving No Man's Sky and it doesn't deserve anywhere near the hate brigade it's currently getting, but people who are experiencing constant crashes or bugs that completely wipe progress deserve some manner of resolution. Being unable to access a product is a pretty solid reason for a refund, no matter how long it was working correctly for you previously. I'm having a blast with the game as it is, but if it breaks for me tomorrow and I can no longer play? Yeah, I'm going to want my money back. So I bear no ill will to those people.

Now the people who played it to completion and then decide, "meh, didn't like, getting refund"? That's some bullshit. Those are the people who sit through the entire movie at the multiplex then demand their money back because it wasn't to their expectation. Get out of here with that nonsense.

Enforcer

The closest thing was when I warped into a system and got jammed in a space station. I just shot the space station until the sentinels killed me.

Can you shoot anywhere?

If all else fails you can always get a refund ;)

Yeah I've had that happen at the solo landing pad buildings. I was able to interact with my ship to get myself out, another time I shot grenades at the ground and it ended up flinging me out. I believe I read that the latest experimental PC build squashed the bug so we should be getting it soon on PS4.

The game thinks I'm inside a structure, so weapons are disabled. :'( Good to know about that experimental build. Hopefully that makes its way to the PS4 soon. I guess I'll have to console myself by playing my PC copy while I wait. Yes I have a problem and bought it twice. No ragrets! Mods make it a whole new experience! I'm running immersive space (realistic space that's black with sparse nebulae for accent color), low flight (I can fly as close to the surface as I want) big creatures, big plants and rocks, no scanlines or CA, higher quality icons that look better on a 1440p display, and I turned my ship icon into a picture of the ship from Rick and Morty. I say to you again, no regerts!

Also, LOL @ getting a refund. I checked out that thread earlier today and had a good laugh at all the people who apparently hate played a game for 30+ hours and don't feel like frauds themselves for demanding their money back. I rolled my eyes so hard I almost pulled a muscle! It was a good reminder to stay the hell out of other NMS threads!

To be fair, some of those people are experiencing bugs which prevent them from continuing to play the game in any capacity whatsoever. I agree that someone who plays a game for 50+ hours and then asks for a refund seems to be making a mockery of any common sense, but if that person legitimately wants to continue but a game-breaking bug makes them unable to even launch the application, yeah, I'm putting that on the developer. I'm loving No Man's Sky and it doesn't deserve anywhere near the hate brigade it's currently getting, but people who are experiencing constant crashes or bugs that completely wipe progress deserve some manner of resolution. Being unable to access a product is a pretty solid reason for a refund, no matter how long it was working correctly for you previously. I'm having a blast with the game as it is, but if it breaks for me tomorrow and I can no longer play? Yeah, I'm going to want my money back. So I bear no ill will to those people.

Now the people who played it to completion and then decide, "meh, didn't like, getting refund"? That's some bullshit. Those are the people who sit through the entire movie at the multiplex then demand their money back because it wasn't to their expectation. Get out of here with that nonsense.

I have to say that I agree with this completely. If shit's broke then a refund is warranted. It does seem like a lot of people are trying to get refunds for other reasons though, which seems silly to me.

Bold One

Does anyone know what Murrine does?

and can you even swim in this, I am finding myself risking drowning every time I take a dip

that refund thread is sad af

These No Man's Sky threads produce some of the most immature and hateful posts I've seen in my time on GAF.
It's like the same shit Battlefront got, but ten fold. Even attacking the developer personally, mocking his appearance and such. So fucking childish.
I for one think it's a good thing Hello Games are not responding to this bullshit, but rather keep fixing the stuff that's broken and making the good stuff even better.

Poetaster

Banned

and can you even swim in this, I am finding myself risking drowning every time I take a dip
There's 3 versions of a blueprint called aeration membrane that you can build in your exosuit. With it you can survive underwater for a good amount of time.

Loudninja

These No Man's Sky threads produce some of the most immature and hateful posts I've seen in my time on GAF.
It's like the same shit Battlefront got, but ten fold. Even attacking the developer personally, mocking his appearance and such. So fucking childish.
I for one think it's a good thing Hello Games are not responding to this bullshit, but rather keep fixing the stuff that's broken and making the good stuff even better.
Wait what? :/

Bold One

I've not spotted a deposit of it yet. What's it look like?

its an exotic material

maxresdefault.jpg

Wait what? :/

Sorry to bring this shit in here, but these are a few from the discoveries not saving thread.

Er... i too enjoy what i've played of the game? It has it's charm.

What i don't enjoy is the people giving Sean a free pass for so much bullshit/lies just because (?) he is a indie developer, nervous nerd that laughs a lot.

and barefoot

and flannel mcbeard

I annoy the wife when she asks me a questions and I do an awkward laugh and say "sure"

He was working so hard on the game who has time to shave.

Pressing the Delete key doesn't take time at all.

But he's so humble and genuine

OuterLimits

The pop in does seem worse on latest patch for me on PS4. Even walking I'm having things pop up right in front of me. Flying is of course much worse. Structures not fully loading until right above and same with some mineral deposits. Ugh. So disappointed.

Happy they fixed some other issues, but kind of bummed right now. :(

What do I do with all these fucking Atlas Stones? I'm assuming you have to keep them for something, they are starting to take up a lot of inventory space!

Yup... the toxicity in NMS threads is shameful. I thought GAF was better than the likes of IGN or Gamefaqs.

Aenima

Yes you can swim. To breath some air just use your jetpack to stay out of water, then if you point down and dive you will swim faster.

What do I do with all these fucking Atlas Stones? I'm assuming you have to keep them for something, they are starting to take up a lot of inventory space!

Keep them, make room for at least 10 stones, you will have to use 10 at some point... actually you dont have to as its your choice, but i recomend you save them and use them when asked.

BizzyBum

For those wondering, the total amount of words you need to learn for 100% completion is 1,111.

I'm currently at 978. I'm not sure if I'm going to grind out the Atlas words since that's even more grindy as they are only learned through monoliths plus you never see the Atlas language again once the quest is over.

For those wondering, the total amount of words you need to learn for 100% completion is 1,111.

I'm currently at 978. I'm not sure if I'm going to grind out the Atlas words since that's even more grindy as they are only learned through monoliths plus you never see the Atlas language again once the quest is over.

A lot of words are just really obscure.

Yup... the toxicity in NMS threads is shameful. I thought GAF was better than the likes of IGN or Gamefaqs.

I genuinely feel for people with actual issues, but at the end of the day, if you go over the refund threshold for a product, you have nobody to blame. Period.

Someone in the NMS Refund thread literally compared telling consumers to think for themselves to rape apologists.

Do I think the game has bugs that need to be addressed? Yes. Do I think that Sean Murray is making a mistake by not addressing some of the heat? Yes. But I'm not going to storm the gates, because they promised a proc-generated galaxy and they delivered. Everything else is just people upset that an indie company made a $60 game.

Poyunch

Any tips for finding organic multi-tools? Honestly every time I think about quitting something pops up and I'm like I want that. So yeah. I want an organic multi-tool I didn't even know until a couple of days ago, due to this thread, that they existed.

Any tips for finding organic multi-tools. Honestly every time I think about quitting something pops up and I'm like I want that. So yeah. I want an organic multi-tool I didn't even know until a couple of days ago, due to this thread, that they existed.

V'keen systems are your best (I think only) bet.

Poyunch

Welp finally may have encountered my first game-breaking glitch...

So last time I played my ship disappeared off the map and now the games not recognizing I have bypass chips in my inventory. I don't know how I'm going to summon my ship now... yay.

edit: oh I was making bypass chips in my starship inventory... well... my ship marker is still missing so I'm still slightly peeved.
V'keen systems are your best (I think only) bet.

Hopefully I can play the game and find one...

So I think I still have the "mine an ore and don't get all of it even if there's a ton left" bug

but

I just saw lightning during a storm and I'm pretty sure that's a first for me.

A lot of words are just really obscure.

I genuinely feel for people with actual issues, but at the end of the day, if you go over the refund threshold for a product, you have nobody to blame. Period.

Someone in the NMS Refund thread literally compared telling consumers to think for themselves to rape apologists.

Do I think the game has bugs that need to be addressed? Yes. Do I think that Sean Murray is making a mistake by not addressing some of the heat? Yes. But I'm not going to storm the gates, because they promised a proc-generated galaxy and they delivered. Everything else is just people upset that an indie company made a $60 game.

Damn, all those people who wanted to be upset about indie gaming and bought No Man's Sky for the full price!

Toxic were all the pre-release threads which attacked all form of criticism (the remark people should read and listen to the interviews is sure something after we know that Sean was plain lying).

Damn, all those people who wanted to be upset about indie gaming and bought No Man's Sky for the full price!

I never said that.

Toxic were all the pre-release threads which attacked all form of criticism (the remark people should read and listen to the interviews is sure something after we know that Sean was plain lying).

Overpromised? Yes. Lied? No. NMS Refunds are just this weeks gamer rage.

No kidding. I only have maybe 200, and the latest I got was "dowry." I mean... if I had to rank the top words in the English language, "dowry" doesn't crack the top 10,000. And of course it happened to be used in the next text interaction. Weird.

It'll come in handy when you accidentally marry a Vy'keen girl.

Yagharek

This is a disingenuous misinterpretation at best and a scurrilous lie at worst.

I get that emotions run high over this game, but don't bring the discussion down to a new low.

Found a mountain so high the flying animals were spawning half way down it:

tumblr_ocm3ihWzbl1vcevjdo1_1280.png

I think they always stay x meters above the ground directly under them so that's not a good metric.

Have people try to actually estimate the height of the biggest ones? Atmosphere is not really good either because its much thinner than in real life.

I think it's good enough if they look big enough to play their role. Actual mountains might be impractical. The tallest I climbed/boosted up would be maybe 500+m above sea level. Going by how quick you can get up.

KrebStar

This morning I discovered what appeared to be a Tyrannosaurus with no eyes. I named him Doyouthinkhesaurus.

This game is alright.

Regarding finding all the animals, I only today realized that they give two values for each planet. The description on the planet is for the frequency while the list indicates the amount of different species.

So you can be tasked with finding up to 14 different species (subspecies/genders etc may count as new animals but not for the ??? list) but you may hardly run into any of them.

I definitely prefer planets with low density and many species, feels much more realistic.

Obviously, habitats can be water, sky, land and caves. Nighttime can spawn different animals but only on land I think. Predators are often less frequent than other animals. Also seems like there is a limit of 1-3 different species for everything other than land.

Some animals can be very rare which is why you sometimes struggle with finding the last species. I spend over an hour on one planet and saw one animal only once. Bigger than the trees so it's not hard to miss...
Oh and anecdotal but for my last animal I left the planet and came back down. It spawned right next to my ship haha

8 more sols and I'm finally done with this stupid trophy at the third time of trying. I think I'm going to go for the starship trophy next, as I've only destroyed 5 so far.

tusken77

Is there a way to see my playtime on PS4?

Unfortunately not. I'd like to see 'Hours played', ability to remove all HUD elements and the use of the DS4 speaker come in an update sooner rather than later.

Still totally absorbed in the game, I'd love to know precisely just how many hours I've put into it so far.

Sarcasm

I have to admit I don't know what to do. I don't necessarily think the game is bad, but it hasn't pulled me in. I get no crashes and steady 60FPS on my old 5+ year system. I really had no hype going in either.

Yet I am not sucked into it and only have put 4.9 hours in with no real future in playing it anytime soon.

Sony know if I should wait and see if something happens or yea refund.

Yes this seems so band wagon but it has been on my mind for weeks. Now that there is a possibility of getting my money back it is more tempting then it was in the first two hours.

Yet what if they patch it..

8 more sols and I'm finally done with this stupid trophy at the third time of trying. I think I'm going to go for the starship trophy next, as I've only destroyed 5 so far.
The new patch fixed it. You don't have to do it in one go anymore so just explore planets how you like and over time it will add up.
I would advise the same for the ships btw, there is already enough grind in this game so I wouldn't force stuff that will just come naturally.

Raist

Banned

They fixed it, you don't need to stay on the same planet for the entire run. It adds up now.

magawolaz

Now my photoshop skills aren't that great, but it would be cool to see dirt and/or weather effects on the ship's windshield.

TIBeA0u.jpg

ZrRBqso.jpg

(detail)
RCPzFc1.jpg

kind of like the texture appearing on the visor on extreme planets.
Any modder on Gaf willing to give it a try?

welp, top of the page. I have no useful thing to say. Download the latest patch!

Top Bottom