• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky |OT2| Maths Effect

The new patch fixed it. You don't have to do it in one go anymore so just explore planets how you like and over time it will add up.
I would advise the same for the ships btw, there is already enough grind in this game so I wouldn't force stuff that will just come naturally.

They fixed it, you don't need to stay on the same planet for the entire run. It adds up now.
Yeah, I realise they fixed it, it's just that I have no interest in staying on extreme planets, especially when there are storms every 5 minutes. I just don't find them fun to be on.

You're right about the ships, though. I'll be playing this game for a long time so I'll just get that one naturally.

OuterLimits

Couple things. Is the music different? I could swear even the music on the title/initial loading screen is different.

I have taken off 20 times in a row without being launched into space. Before I couldn't go 4 times without it happening. Maybe I'm just getting lucky though.

I like the fact they are addressing the issues fairly quickly. Although I'm hoping Sean ends the silence soon and let's know what they have planned for the game.

Raist

Banned
By the way, for those of you who saw a "flare" briefly at some point a few pages back, I've just seen it too (thought you guys were nuts at first TBH). Tried to take a screen but I fumbled so there's that.

I went to that general direction, and the only thing I found there was a monolith (the answer a question type, not the ones with story bits). It actually makes sense, because when you "activate" them you see it happen.

Don't know what that's all about... intriguing, at least.

Poyunch

nms_2dxlqi.gif
So today was fun.

noomi

Alright, I'm taking a break with NMS. Got everything I wanted... time to wait for features to get added now. Never went for the center or followed the atlas path because... reasons.... Spent over 50 hours with the game. Only Warped 5 times.

48 Slot Exo Suit With Atlas Pass V1 & V3
G6tftDw.jpg

48 Slot Ship that doesn't look terrible
j7XdASU.jpg

24 Slot Alien Multi-Tool
F9H6VeW.jpg

Am I the only one that is kind of pissed about all these crazy refunds even after hours and hours of play? It's like the hatemongers are now being given a real chance of preventing the game I love from being supported long term. I am not disappointed by what I received. It certainly isn't perfect but what it is hits me as pretty magical. I am looking forward to its continued support and in my opinion these refunds seriously threaten that.

ChelseaLoveX

Neo Member
Am I the only one that is kind of pissed about all these crazy refunds even after hours and hours of play? It's like the hatemongers are now being given a real chance of preventing the game I love from being supported long term. I am not disappointed by what I received. It certainly isn't perfect but what it is hits me as pretty magical. I am looking forward to its continued support and in my opinion these refunds seriously threaten that.

Maybe they could've just given everyone 50% back of what they paid ($29.99 here in the US) I just picked that number because lots of comments seem to share this sentiment across the Internet, that it should've been a $30 game and no one would be bitching about it as much.

And you saying the hatemongers can now prevent the game you love from having long term support, well, if they were told what the game was from the beginning, they would've never bought the game, the game would've really done either good/bad based on the actual real life expectations. But that's not the way they played out their marketing.

mokeyjoe

It doesn't bother me much if other people don't like it, but it just doesn't match with my experience of the game. For an indie game I think it's still been successful, and if they add stuff other people want then people may buy again down the line, or so I've seen people saying. It's a better bet for Hello to continue to develop NMS than to try and start from scratch with something new.

Why is everyone asking for refunds? All I see in that thread are people claiming technical issues or that the game isn't what was promised.

Raist

Banned

I guess people are free to give it a shot, if they're disappointed or their game suddenly starts shitting the bed after a patch.

Now at the same time, I'd personally wait for the next patch for instance (they come every few days ffs) because it's quite clear that there is some issues going on that are a) temporary and b) user(s)-specific.

Now the slightly sad part is people who never had an interest in the game shitting on it (and the devs) on every occasion, or people spamming steam / PSN to get a refund even after XX hours, coming up with different reasons with every attempt and/or asking others what they said.

The other shitty bits is people coming up with BS, like Kyoufu saying that the game breaks down after X hours. There's 0 evidence of this. There's ton of counter-evidence.

The amount of disinformation on this game has been absolutely staggering. Like that massive reddit post that is full of innacuracies. Some where updated hours later, but the damage was done, and it's still full of BS and people are running with it.

A large amount of points are just simply incorrect, I've witnessed this stuff countless times. Other points are like "yeah OK, 2.5 year ago he said as of now you can land on asteroids. Turns out you can't... who the fuck really cares?" Maybe you could do that 2.5 years ago, and they just scrapped it because... what's the point exactly? Sure it'd be cool/funny to do it. Once?

I'd wager that with ANY game, if they were covered as much as NMS was, with people keeping asking for every single detail, you'd end up with the exact same thing. Stuff get scrapped all the time, it's nothing new. So I mean the only solution would have been stuff like "oh yeah guys that thing we mentioned once 3 years ago to kewlgamez.org, we scrapped it in the end". When it comes to absolutely tiny details of the game, quite frankly I don't give a shot.

But hey, what can you do. At the end of the day, I think it's just big background noise. The only thing that bothers me is just the utter lack of fact checking etc. But that's just a general pet peeve of mine, nothing to do with NMS specifically. Still having a ton of fun with the game, played for countless hours and not planning to stop anytime soon, and no amount of rage-filled posts or youtube videos is gonna change that.

Mathieran

Banned
Yeah, hopefully it doesn't add to be a huge difference for the developers. It's the most extremely tacky thing though. It's like asking for a refund after you've already eaten the meal. If steam is gonna allow people to refund after 10+ hours they should eat the cost.

Yeah, hopefully it doesn't add to be a huge difference for the developers. It's the most extremely tacky thing though. It's like asking for a refund after you've already eaten the meal. If steam is gonna allow people to refund after 10+ hours they should eat the cost.
That's a dumbass comparison and you know it.

Mathieran

Banned
That's a dumbass comparison and you know it.

After playing something for 10+ hours then wanting a refund? I haven't read that thread so I don't know how much most people have been playing before getting a refund, but if that's the case then I would say the comparison is pretty apt. I could understand like 5 or less, 5-10 is pretty grey, but greater than 10 is the same.

Kyoufu

The other shitty bits is people coming up with BS, like Kyoufu saying that the game breaks down after X hours. There's 0 evidence of this. There's ton of counter-evidence.

Whoa. Excuse me, but I've posted evidence of my experience and I stated it broke down when I reached a certain point in the game. How is that BS? What the hell.

ChelseaLoveX

Neo Member

I'd beg to differ. The most tacky thing is their snake-oil marketing tactics they used to lure many people in only to find out its not what they were told it was. At a PREMIUM price. I didn't buy the game, so it's not directly relevant to me, but that is the general gist I get from various threads. Many people feel burned and want their money back for being directly lied to about things, and then a few are happy with the game and can overlook what happened with no issues.

Everybody wins in my opinion. Doesn't anyone find it strange that these wacky refunds are even being offered, must really say something about this game.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel

Normally I would agree with you and Legacy and all of the game's defenders, in that I normally don't think it's right to claim a refund after many hours of playing a game. However, in the case of NMS I feel that any request for a refund is completely warranted, and it would appear that Valve and Sony also agree. It's a rare case, but my reasons are:

1. Very false advertising by the devs. We all know this by now, even the people who love the game have to admit that Sean did a lot of lying and that the game is missing a LOT of what was promised and even shown with gameplay before launch. All you need do is watch the trailers on the Steam page to find at least a dozen things that are not in the game.

2. Buggy release. For many people the game still crashes often, even on the PS4. NMS is like one of the most crash laden console releases in the past several years, and performance on the PC is really bad. Technical issues are always a valid reason for a refund, and NMS has a plethora of them.

3. Radio Silence from Hello Games. The missing feature fiasco would be so much less of a fire if Sean and his team were simply talking about it, explaining the missing content and the reasons for it, hell saying anything about it. But they have completely ignored it and put their heads in the sand, which honestly smells like they were just shooting for a hype driven cash grab with NMS. I mean truthfully, all of Sean's false statements and all of the disingenuous gameplay footage shown over the past few years followed by complete silence really does make them appear to have gone for the disrespectful and dishonest cash grab here, milking the game for all they can based on their false pretenses and run with the money afterwards. All they need to do is explain themselves, just talk about it, but instead they have turned their backs completely.

Note that I think it's great that many NMS players are happy too, if you enjoy the game then that's good, but the reasons for not liking it and wanting your $60 back are too real and prevalent. If NMS had been a $15 or $20 game then this would be an entirely different situation, but at a AAA price this just can't be allowed.

No, in the very public and high profile case of NMS a message needs to be made by the industry that this type of behavior can not be tolerated, and thankfully both Valve and Sony together along with the players seem to be making that very statement against Hello Games. It honestly gives me great respect for both companies and a refounded hope for the future of video games, and I for one am glad that the NMS backlash is tangible and real.

Raist

Banned
Managed to catch the monolith fireworks.

As far as I can tell, it only happens with activated ones. I had two right next to each other, one activated one not, only the first one did that. Activated the second one, it started doing that eventually. Probably doesn't mean anything or have no use. Cool little detail though.

fireworksa6o22.png

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Alright, I'm taking a break with NMS. Got everything I wanted... time to wait for features to get added now. Never went for the center or followed the atlas path because... reasons.... Spent over 50 hours with the game. Only Warped 5 times.
Get rid of the rail adapater! It cuts your mining yield in half.

E92 M3

The pop in does seem worse on latest patch for me on PS4. Even walking I'm having things pop up right in front of me. Flying is of course much worse. Structures not fully loading until right above and same with some mineral deposits. Ugh. So disappointed.

Happy they fixed some other issues, but kind of bummed right now. :(

Yeah, you're the third person to say that, counting me. Since we're in the minority, they may never fix it.

I'm really upset. Crashing bothered me, but I hate how egregious the pop-in became after this patch.

legacyzero

Banned
Managed to catch the monolith fireworks.

As far as I can tell, it only happens with activated ones. I had two right next to each other, one activated one not, only the first one did that. Activated the second one, it started doing that eventually. Probably doesn't mean anything or have no use. Cool little detail though.

fireworksa6o22.png

I caught it happening on one next to the portal in my live stream the other night. I flipped my shit LMAO.

I was like "WHAT THE FUCK WAS THAT?!"

Raist

Banned
1. Very false advertising by the devs. We all know this by now, even the people who love the game have to admit that Sean did a lot of lying and that the game is missing a LOT of what was promised and even shown with gameplay before launch. All you need do is watch the trailers on the Steam page to find at least a dozen things that are not in the game.

See, this is what I meant in a previous post.
Care to point at the AT LEAST DOZEN things that aren't in the game?

I see 2 trailers on steam. Watched them both. The only things I've not seen at all during my 60+ hours with the game is big animals wrecking trees, and the freighter fleets are never as large as that. The rest is minor UI cosmetic changes. Most I've seen is three separate fleets with 2-5 ships each.

On the other hand, the trading system has come a long way to just landing at a trading post and magically getting units, for instance.

Raist

Banned
How do you find different class planets , every planet I check in the galaxy map is red , even when I travel light years to the centre .

How do you find different class planets , every planet I check in the galaxy map is red , even when I travel light years to the centre .

Huh, they've everywhere? Not as frequent as the yellow ones (not red, these are the "special" ones, with green and blue), but I'm not sure how you can miss them.

Here's a small cluster I partly explored yesterday.

letsago248uor.png

(screen looks a bit poopy, it's a grab of my own twitch stream, not ingame screenshot).

E92 M3

Yeah, it's asinine to call Sean a liar. I've been following the game for years and love it. Things change in development. It would be great to hear a post release interview, but with so many people acting like shitbags, they obviously won't.

Things need to settle down first.

I mean, I get the people being upset with the game or Hello if it really failed to live up to their expectations, or was missing content that were absolute game changers for them personally. I don't have an objection with that. I don't have an objection with them getting a refund within a reasonable time frame.

But playing the game for 10 hours, 20 hours, more...? Asking other people what the "magic words" are to get a refund processed? Regardless of whether they enjoyed the game as much as they thought they would or wanted to, they CONSUMED it. There should be a cost to that. Maybe 50% refund for people who played more than 10 hours or so. I could get behind that.... but even then I feel there are people who are just hating the game for the fact that everyone is hating the game. And now we've created a new bandwagon for these haters to jump on to. One that directly and immediately takes money out of Hello's pocket. And Hello will lose revenue that would have (hopefully) been used to improve the base game that we did receive.

It's like all the people that are absolutely livid over this situation are threatening the possibility that people like myself who ARE enjoying the game and DO see the value in the $60 we spent are going to see improvements over time.

That sucks.

And I am not a blind supporter. I simply got what I wanted out of the game. I didn't base my purchase off of multiplayer or landing on asteroids or a complicated story or faction system. I wanted to explore planets and craft things. I got that. I'm happy!

noomi

Get rid of the rail adapater! It cuts your mining yield in half.

Huh, really?

I had no idea... Does it actually say that on the description?

I really like the adapter though, kills sentinals and doors so much better than anything else.

Truth be told im pretty much past the point of mining anyway, i have all the upgrades i need :p

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Huh, really?

I had no idea... Does it actually say that on the description?

I really like the adapter though, kills sentinals and doors so much better than anything else.

Truth be told im pretty much past the point of mining anyway, i have all the upgrades i need :p

EH, I use 3 slots for my bolt caster and 2 damage enhancers. That gets rid of a door one one clip. Without the rail adapter, my mining laser is still a beast against sentinels.

Raist

Banned
Atlas pass v3 get!

edit: by the way, I've seen a few screens showing that around, you don't need to stack the Atlas passes. A v2 gives you access to both v1 and v2 doors, etc.

3. Radio Silence from Hello Games. The missing feature fiasco would be so much less of a fire if Sean and his team were simply talking about it, explaining the missing content and the reasons for it, hell saying anything about it. But they have completely ignored it and put their heads in the sand, which honestly smells like they were just shooting for a hype driven cash grab with NMS. I mean truthfully, all of Sean's false statements and all of the disingenuous gameplay footage shown over the past few years followed by complete silence really does make them appear to have gone for the disrespectful and dishonest cash grab here, milking the game for all they can based on their false pretenses and run with the money afterwards. All they need to do is explain themselves, just talk about it, but instead they have turned their backs completely...

every day this continues = more fuel to the fire. otoh, can't help but wonder what they could possibly say that would improve the situation...

i think this's something they should've addressed immediately at release. too much time's gone by at this point, & they've now seriously damaged their own credibility, unfortunately...

daxy

Atlas pass v3 get!

edit: by the way, I've seen a few screens showing that around, you don't need to stack the Atlas passes. A v2 gives you access to both v1 and v2 doors, etc.

I thought that a V1 is always necessary for V1 doors, but that a V3 will also allow you to open the V2 ones.

Normally I would agree with you and Legacy and all of the game's defenders, in that I normally don't think it's right to claim a refund after many hours of playing a game. However, in the case of NMS I feel that any request for a refund is completely warranted, and it would appear that Valve and Sony also agree. It's a rare case, but my reasons are:

2. Buggy release. For many people the game still crashes often, even on the PS4. NMS is like one of the most crash laden console releases in the past several years, and performance on the PC is really bad. Technical issues are always a valid reason for a refund, and NMS has a plethora of them.

3. Radio Silence from Hello Games. The missing feature fiasco would be so much less of a fire if Sean and his team were simply talking about it, explaining the missing content and the reasons for it, hell saying anything about it. But they have completely ignored it and put their heads in the sand, which honestly smells like they were just shooting for a hype driven cash grab with NMS. I mean truthfully, all of Sean's false statements and all of the disingenuous gameplay footage shown over the past few years followed by complete silence really does make them appear to have gone for the disrespectful and dishonest cash grab here, milking the game for all they can based on their false pretenses and run with the money afterwards. All they need to do is explain themselves, just talk about it, but instead they have turned their backs completely.

Note that I think it's great that many NMS players are happy too, if you enjoy the game then that's good, but the reasons for not liking it and wanting your $60 back are too real and prevalent. If NMS had been a $15 or $20 game then this would be an entirely different situation, but at a AAA price this just can't be allowed.

No, in the very public and high profile case of NMS a message needs to be made by the industry that this type of behavior can not be tolerated, and thankfully both Valve and Sony together along with the players seem to be making that very statement against Hello Games. It honestly gives me great respect for both companies and a refounded hope for the future of video games, and I for one am glad that the NMS backlash is tangible and real.

I'm someone that's been following the development of NMS pretty closely over the years, had high hopes for it and so on, and the current state of the game is very close to some of the things I expected from it (like the very minimalist approach to gameplay and storytelling in certain aspects) while others are not, spent over 50 hours on it so far and the fact that I can fly somewhat freely (more with mods) around planets is very pleasing to me, but even so, I have to agree that the game is an unfinished mess with obvious heavy cutting down on features, whether it's from feature creep, biting off more than they can chew or whatever, and that's something that the consumers shouldn't have to just accept.

I would like to add though that, while I understand the outrage that's going on right now, I just can't see it as Hello Games just cashing in and running away with the money. I would, if Sean and the team just stopped working on the game completely and didn't communicate about anything at all. No patches, no further work on the game.

But they're making patches and are uploading them somewhat regularly. Maybe I'm understanding the whole "cash grab and run" thing differently, but to me that means they would willingly deceive everyone (including Sony) for years while working on a smaller and less feature-heavy game, knowing they would get the backlash even 2 years before release, and they would most probably damage their connections with Sony, gaming media at large and most importantly the consumers.

This, to me at least, makes Hello Games sound like someone like Digital Homicide, which in all honesty I can't believe to be true. It's almost suicidal to damage your reputation, no matter how small or young your studio is, especially with a publisher/platform provider like Sony. I've seen and read interviews from different sources about the studio, even about their work on the Joe Danger games, about the atmosphere in the studio, the people involved etc. and it just seems a bit too far fetched for these different sources to all be "in on it", to paint this attractive picture of the underdog dreamers that tried to make something new and interesting. Sure, maybe it's just mob mentality and one source copied the other, "they all lied" etc. but objectively, I just can't see that.

So I'm not saying the game is flawless, or even very good, I'm just arguing the validity of the "cashgrab" point.

Also, and this is not something I expect people to give a damn, especially at the $60 price for an unfinished game, but I believe context matters, even if the result ends up pretty much the same, at least for better understanding how these problems occur in the industry and how to avoid them.

So just like most people are saying that Sean lied through his teeth over the years, twirling his mustache, some might also say that they genuinely believed or even had versions of the game where these features existed in one form or another (as it's often the case in game development), but as time went by they realized things aren't looking good, they need more time, better solutions, PS4 hardware just isn't going to cut it for the way their engine works, and they made the wrong choice. They decided to scale down some of the features, make hasty and radical changes to some of the core gameplay mechanics and logic so that they would at least have a workable, somewhat coherent thing at release. The rest would be added post release, more features would be tweaked. I might even go as far to think that they might've been naive on certain things, like hoping they might add certain mechanics post release while everyone is still getting to know the game, so nobody will notice (with implies the game on release will work almost flawlessly and without bugs and performance issues, which in this day and age is insane, or rather not very realistic or responsible). They might think that radio silence is better right now, not making things worse and that their work will speak for them in time, when and if they release major updates in the months to come. Maybe I'm naive and will indeed eat crow, but I believe Hello Games at least have the will to continue working on the game for the time being.

But you know what would've been infinitely better than the shitshow right now? Delaying the game, regardless of the outrage of another delay. Not going retail on PS4. Honestly communicating in a delay (and admitting to themselves) that the game just isn't at the quality level it should be, even at the danger of reducing sales eventually. Not being as cagey on certain gameplay aspects (like the multiplayer thing), better to say there's nothing there (no matter how much you wish to implement the feature) and then maybe pleasantly surprise everyone with adding that post-release. Just embracing the ongoing-development nature of this early access survival exploration game.

This sound easy in retrospect, and maybe they dug in too deep, got into debt, invested too much time, money, work to make such a drastic switch to a different model while most probably alienating a lot of people, being somewhat deluded that things will work out somehow. That happened anyway, but they got some good sales out of everything, which only paints an even bleaker picture on the whole thing. But the point is that, to the consumer, this shouldn't matter. I can emphasize with your problems, really I do, but I should also be aware of them. I can invest $60 (or more for CEs etc.) in something I think will be alright for now, for me, and that you might update in the future. But you should make it clear that this is what this is, otherwise you are being deceitful, no matter your intentions.

So I'm just saying that their actions and radio silence can also mean other things, but it's questionable if it even matters to most people, since a lot of damage has been done.

Raist

Banned
Head to the Euclid galaxy and get to ship farming on Gek planets. You could save your units for suit slot upgrades.

They fixed that.

Guys, please watch this: Pop-in after 1.07 on the PS4

Visual proof that some of us aren't crazy lol.

I don't think anyone here thinks you're crazy. It's quite clear by now that some users are affected by some issues while others aren't. Even on PS4 which doesn't have a dozens of hardware variations.

Furyous

It's crazy because some people played it for 40 hours and got a refund....

If there's a game breaking bug that the dev refused to patch then that is one thing. The idea that you can play a game for 40 hours and get a refund is frightening to devs. Moving forward, no refunds should be given to people that bought this game after the first 10 days of release. If you buy the game now knowing all the flaws, play it for 40 hours only to request a refund then you should be denied on the basis of information available.

I played the game via a friend and decided to wait until further updates flesh things out a bit more.

E92 M3

They fixed that.

I don't think anyone here thinks you're crazy. It's quite clear by now that some users are affected by some issues while others aren't. Even on PS4 which doesn't have a dozens of hardware variations.

In a way, I was hoping that maybe I was seeing things all along because I can't play the game in this state.

I've been having so much fun too :(

Raist

Banned
In a way, I was hoping that maybe I was seeing things all along because I can't play the game in this state.

I've been having so much fun too :(

Just put the game away for now. There's likely going to be yet another patch in just a few days, there's a significant chance that might fix it for you.

edit: out of curiosity, what's your free space like on your HDD?

Ocaso

It's crazy because some people played it for 40 hours and got a refund....

If there's a game breaking bug that the dev refused to patch then that is one thing. The idea that you can play a game for 40 hours and get a refund is frightening to devs. Moving forward, no refunds should be given to people that bought this game after the first 10 days of release. If you buy the game now knowing all the flaws, play it for 40 hours only to request a refund then you should be denied on the basis of information available.

I played the game via a friend and decided to wait until further updates flesh things out a bit more.

I agree that refunds after significant playtime seem dishonest, but in the case of the original poster it genuinely seems the game continually crashed after that length of time. For a game that is meant to be played for that many hours, that is a legitimate reason to get a refund. Anybody who is lying about their reason for a refund is guilty of abusing the system, but Hello Games should have caught such bugs and kept such an excuse from existing.

It's unfortunate for Hello Games as I'm in the camp that feels they created an incredibly compelling product that, despite missing features, delivered on the biggest promises at least. Multiplayer features aside (and this was not an important feature to me), I do not feel misled and I'm still enjoying it after roughly 15 hours. I was looking forward to seeing it expand, but who knows if they'll get the chance.

Thank god I got the trophy for Galapogos when I did..... whew...

I keep on poking back to this thread hoping for info for content patches coming soon. I will buy this game again the moment I hear base building and customization.

Loudninja

Thank god I got the trophy for Galapogos when I did..... whew...

I keep on poking back to this thread hoping for info for content patches coming soon. I will buy this game again the moment I hear base building and customization.
They should be the latest patched fixed alot of the issues.

Top Bottom