• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No New DC Comics Movies For “At Least 3 Years” Besides Batman and Superman Films

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quackula

I forget where I read/heard this, but someone once made an interesting point about Marvel and DC's Universes.

For the most part, Marvel's characters were made for a shared universe. They were mostly created by one or two people, they started meeting up really quickly, etc.

DC on the other hand, was an amalgamation of various other comic publishers. Many of these characters didn't even come from the same company originally, much less from the same creators. They were never intended to share a universe, it's just something that kinda came about over time as various companies merged with DC.

how long do you think audiences to get tired of these remakes, often origin stories re-told, and ignore new releases?
I feel like Marvel is at least setting up their universe to be able to go the james bonds route and let them switch out actors as necessary. I think the only thing people will get tired of is retreads of old stories and keeping that to a minimum is within their interest.

pants

here he is. and the people that know me constantly call me out for it.. but most of them like longshot so people in glass houses are throwing stones
To be fair, if I talked more on the subject of comics in general I'm sure you guys will point out I have a pronounced douche-bag affiliation, so no stones being thrown here!

pants

I was trying to pick solo characters who have held their own titles for a lengthy amount of time. DC doesn't have much of a B-list which is my point.
This is a real problem with DC, they do lack depth past the Top Tier Justice League staple. Something they do need to work on is giving some of the lesser heroes some attention. Something I feel Marvel does way, way better.

No, Captain America's suit looked appealing and good, unlike those green veins that exhume green vapor and rendered in bad CGI wrapped around Green Lantern's body.

TFA Cap Am suit looked appealing and good. TA Cap Am suit was an abomination and one that I hope and pray doesn't return in Winter Soldier.

I still cannot believe they fucked up Green Lantern, it had so much potential and they blew it up ! *sniffs*

I really hope they would pull it together and make other Superhero movies, they can't do Superman and Batman forever (pun not intended).

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
To be fair, if I talked more on the subject of comics in general I'm sure you guys will point out I have a pronounced douche-bag affiliation, so no stones being thrown here!

naw its cool. its how comic gaf rolls.

I think DC's biggest problem is that while their characters are iconic and recognizable, outside of Batman I'm not so sure how much draw they have. I mean, yeah Superman is the Mickey Mouse of comics, but if Disney released a Mickey Mouse movie to theaters next year it probably wouldn't light the world on fire. People know of Superman more than they are interested in him. It's different than, say, the XMen or Spiderman. It's on DC to find a way to make characters like Superman and Wonder Woman resonate, and it's going to take more than just making cliched, paint by numbers movies featuring them. Marvel did it in large part by going with RJD in Iron Man. That was a huge move for them. If they cast almost anyone else in that role, the movie doesn't do nearly as well and who knows where the Marvel universe is in Hollywood right now.

kswiston

The Flash and Wonder Woman are easily DC's best bets for a film franchise outside of Batman and Superman. They messed up Green Lantern unfortunately. The Flash is probably an even better bet than Wonder Woman. They could do some really cool special effects stuff with the Flash if they were creative. Also, all of the flashes are easier to relate to on a human level than Wonder Woman who is basically a demi goddess. I would prefer a movie based on Wally, but that will never happen.

It'll probably be another Batman Begins origin story. It would make it easier to tie in with a Justice League movie.

They are going have change the tone up a lot I guess. I don't see how it is currently is going to transition straight into JL type stuff.

Unless JL is gpnna be all dark and brooding.

I get the feeling the next Batman trilogy will be lighter and dramatic change from Nolan's dark and gritty universe. We'll probably have Robin and more comic book tone like Marvel has done with its properties.

It's sad that people (including WB executives apparently) are acting like Marvel has captured lightning in a bottle, and that this kind of success could never be recreated.

They've made two good movies, a few decent movies, and some shitty ones. Hardly an impossibly high standard.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
It'll probably be another Batman Begins origin story. It would make it easier to tie in with a Justice League movie.

Would be dumb to do so. Sure copy Batman Begins, but make it so that Robin is the one in training, make it deeply personal and charismatic, can reflect on new Bruce rather than having to tell his tale again, and also if they finally do a good Robin, can spring off the whole damn Bat family into a DC Universe with things like Teen Titans as potential outlets.

It's sad that people (including WB executives apparently) are acting like Marvel has captured lightning in a bottle, and that this kind of success could never be recreated.

They've made two good movies, a few decent movies, and some shitty ones. Hardly an impossibly high standard.

Movies from all manner of main characters sharing the same continuity is kinda a really big deal and new thing. It tooks some genuinely clever orchestration to get right, and timed perfectly. DC can enjoy success with TDKR and Man of Steel, but neither one has a hook for anything beyond their own universes. You gotta commit to this shit like a decade beforehand, and commit HARD.

Parallax

I get the feeling the next Batman trilogy will be lighter and dramatic change from Nolan's dark and gritty universe. We'll probably have Robin and more comic book tone like Marvel has done with its properties.

i kinda want the next batman series to not start with a retelling of the story. kinda go into after bruce has been doing his thing for a while, and has had the other robins fill their roles out and have them focus on bruce and damien.

Xeke

Banned
Why can't they just make one off comic movies. I don't need my batman movies to have any relation to one another, the Bond films don't save for the latest.

IceCold

To be honest the only DC character I like is Batman.

Same here. DC characters just don't interest me since a lot of them are 'perfect' unlike guys like Iron Man who battle alcoholism. I also dislike concepts like the Speed Force or how there are so many different versions of characters like Flash or Green Lantern. It's confusing.

Whether they are "good" movies doesn't matter. If they make money then thats the type of movie that will get made.

I hope they take another crack at green lantern. I feel there is so much potential there.

I had to go look at Green Lantern's Box Office totals for a laugh.

Budget - 200 million
Worldwide Gross - 219million

I had real high hopes for that movie since Geoff Johns had risen to have some input in the DC films. Sadly, Johns magic doesn't work off the pages of a comicbook. Maybe they could pay Kevin Feige a trillion bucks to manage their universe.

WillyFive

Unless they kill off Batman in TDKR, then I'd rather they just keep on with that universe. If they mess it up, then fans can just keep the Nolan trilogy as the real deal and disregard the rest.

It seems Dick Grayson only gets attention when he is
a) the Batman
b) In a plot thread with the Batman

Young Justice has been really good so far, so hopefully that can springboard Nightwing into having a thing of his own. I've always been fond of the character and really like the Nightwing comics.

I disagree, Superman is a universally recognized icon of the medium, Spiderman, Wolverine, Iron Man, Cap, Thor are not at that level yet. It's not about media count, it's just a mindspace thing.

Yea, no, Spider-man, Wolverine and Iron Man are at that level, simply because all of those films, are really popular, regardless of how one might feel about quality.

I never thought I'd play a Wolverine game that'd be better than Superman.

Parallax

Yea, no, Spider-man, Wolverine and Iron Man are at that level, simply because all of those films, are really popular, regardless of how one might feel about quality.

Spider man has been an internationally popular character long before his movies came out. Hell, he had a show in japan in the 70s.

Reiko

Banned

Green Lantern could have easily opened up the cinematic DC universe...

I find it really reaching that an army of Lanterns are the only hope for the universe. More importantly... Where was Superman during that entire movie? lol

Or crazy how everyone just accepted Green Lantern and shrugged it off.

Darklord

Banned
DC kinda screwed themselves with Batman. It's such a well made trilogy and self contained that any new Batman movie after it will be considered a let down. Where are they going to go after it?

Green Lantern could have easily opened up the cinematic DC universe...

I find it really reaching that an army of Lanterns are the only hope for the universe. More importantly... Where was Superman during that entire movie? lol

Or crazy how everyone just accepted Green Lantern and shrugged it off.

I completely agree.

Instead, it tanked any chance of that for years.

jett

D-Member
Not even remotely interested in a JLA movie, I don't think i'm interested in any DC characters beides Batman and Superman, period. And I doubt I will continue to be interested in Batman after TDKR.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Unless they kill off Batman in TDKR, then I'd rather they just keep on with that universe. If they mess it up, then fans can just keep the Nolan trilogy as the real deal and disregard the rest.

That would be a bad idea because Nolan's universe is extremely limiting compared to the source material. He's pretty much used up every realistic character in Batman, and the rest would have to be almost completely changed in order to fit into that universe. It would be a waste.

You had your chance DC but you wanted to make Steel and Catwoman instead

Pretty much this. WB/DC has been fucking around with their film properties since I was a little kid in the late 80s/early 90s. It's literally a miracle that Bruce Timm's DC animation and Chris Nolan's Batman movies turned out so well because everything else has been complete shit. I can kind of forgive them for making all the christopher reeve superman movies shit because it was a brand new ballgame back then but I can't forgive them for batman forever and all the other garbage they have subjected fans too over the years. Here is Kevin Smith's account of what he had to deal with when writing a script for a Superman reboot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUwkqeI7XWk

fucking embarassing DC deserves to fail.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
DC kinda screwed themselves with Batman. It's such a well made trilogy and self contained that any new Batman movie after it will be considered a let down. Where are they going to go after it?

They just have to go and face it head on, with a different tone and feel. No way around it.

Parallax

I didn't realize there were so many people that only like dc for batman. Its a shame because there are so many excellent characters to read about.

Acrylic7

are they seriously going to make a Justice league movie without introducing The Team?

Before the JL movie you at least need a Flash, WonderWomen, Superman, Batman movie; and each of those movies could also introduce the other lesser known JL members like Martian Man-Hunter and Hawkgirl.

Would like to see these movies made before Justice League.

SuperMan + introducing Martian Man Hunter
Flash + Green Lantern Hal
Wonder Women + introducing Hawk Girl (my fav).
Batman needs his own movie. He's to important
I kinda feel that Green Lantern needs its own movie as well. Nothing special about Hal but the Green Lanterns as a whole could form into something interesting for JL if done right. I also want to see Guy and John on screen.

Also, what about Cyborg and Aqua Man? They are in the new 52. Are they going that route or what?

There are two good ways to do a Justice League movie and they are not going to do it either way:

One is to do it Avengers style with very few iconic heroes (no superman or batman) and focus on building up the second string charecters and make them interesting:

Justice_League_International_Vol_2_51.jpg

Justice%20League%20Generation%20Lost%203.jpg

or go crazy and make it more modern and iconic:

JLA_VOL2_TP-684x1024.jpg

but of course they are going to go with something terrible like a schumacher movie or something.

I think DC has the sort of characters that don't translate as well as Marvel.

I've always founf DC overly serious and depressing compared to Marvel which is more fun and colourrful.

Batman is their only universally popular hero, the rest are pretty mediocre or out of date, or in the case of Superman...both.

Superman is like the most popular character not named Spiderman or Batman.

G-Fex

Pretty much this. WB/DC has been fucking around with their film properties since I was a little kid in the late 80s/early 90s. It's literally a miracle that Bruce Timm's DC animation and Chris Nolan's Batman movies turned out so well because everything else has been complete shit. I can kind of forgive them for making all the christopher reeve superman movies shit because it was a brand new ballgame back then but I can't forgive them for batman forever and all the other garbage they have subjected fans too over the years. Here is Kevin Smith's account of what he had to deal with when writing a script for a Superman reboot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUwkqeI7XWk

fucking embarassing DC deserves to fail.

Yeah and It's terrible.

I'm rooting for Marvel at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom