• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No New DC Comics Movies For “At Least 3 Years” Besides Batman and Superman Films

Status
Not open for further replies.
They need to look at other ways of bringing their properties to the mainstream.
High budget arc based animated shows animation duties given to Japanese companies and written for a slightly older audience.

pants

I'd kill for a well-done Nightwing movie.

God that would be amazing. Even a series of animated movies would be great.
You know there are recent animated features with Nightwing and the Justice League right? They were amazing.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
You know there are recent animated features with Nightwing and the Justice League right? They were amazing.

I know, and I've watched them. :)

Although as far as I know he's only been in Under the Red Hood and Young Justice lately.

Why a Batman reboot. Why not a Batman Beyond movie?

It makes too much sense to pass up. I can't see anyone being able to better the Nolan trilogy any time soon, so why not just push ahead with a Beyond movie? Hell, you could even cast Bale as old Bruce. Now that would be great or not, I don't care...just give me a Batman Beyond movie.
This is not a bad idea. Do a wildly different take on batman for a while to get some distance from Nolan's version then reboot.

None of Marvels heroes has the recognizably of a superman though.

Spiderman does, and easily. You can say what you like about the quality of spider man 3, but spidey has been around for longer than most of his audience has been alive, with at least as many books under his belt as superman, and numerous movies, live action series, and animated cartoons.

One could even argue superman's Televised and theatrical efforts have been substantially less relevant than Spiderman over the last two decades or so.

pants

I know, and I've watched them. :)

Although as far as I know he's only been in Under the Red Hood and Young Justice lately.
It seems Dick Grayson only gets attention when he is
a) the Batman
b) In a plot thread with the Batman

Young Justice has been really good so far, so hopefully that can springboard Nightwing into having a thing of his own. I've always been fond of the character and really like the Nightwing comics.

Spiderman does, and easily. You can say what you like about the quality of spider man 3, but spidey has been around for longer than most of his audience has been alive, with at least as many books under his belt as superman, and numerous movies, live action series, and animated cartoons.

I disagree, Superman is a universally recognized icon of the medium, Spiderman, Wolverine, Iron Man, Cap, Thor are not at that level yet. It's not about media count, it's just a mindspace thing.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
This is not a bad idea. Do a wildly different take on batman for a while to get some distance from Nolan's version then reboot.

They almost did a Batman Beyond movie instead of Begins, too. Guess it isn't impossible.

Ithil

Marvel put together a plan, with Disney's backing, and stuck to it. It paid off with the megablockbuster of the Avengers, and they're not stopping with it, they're turning success into bigger success.

Meanwhile, Batman has been a huge success, but he's standalone. The Green Lantern film was not only crap, but also standalone. Man of Steel, likewise.

Even if GL was successful and led to more films, they would be self contained. Man of Steel will probably do well, but again, any sequels will be Superman only.

They would have to set out to put together a DC Universe for the screen, and that's not easy, or simple. You have to set the end goal, a Justice League movie, lay out the main players, and get all of them solo films.

The bad thing is WB has total control of DC characters, they own them all film wise, whereas Marvel is missing rights to a bunch of their biggest properties. If they wanted to, they could make a film based on any DC character they liked, or have any JL lineup they wanted.

I don't think they should just copy Marvel, though, as much as I'd love to see a JL film. They really do need more films out there, though, even if they're standalone.

I remember after Avengers there was a question on how long RDJ would choose to carry on the role, and so the suggestion of a reboot with a new lead was made [in this article]. In the greater context of how many remakes we've had, and may do in the future, it leads me to suspect studios may be putting these franchises in jeopardy if they become too confident in them being cashflows. When I was in the theatre for the Amazing Spiderman, people were audibly discussing Spidey 2 and 3, referring to Maguire "version". Now we're going to have a "Cavill" version, the "Nolan" version [Hulk], the "Bale" version, the "Reynolds" version" not to mention the "Garfield" version - how long do you think audiences to get tired of these remakes, often origin stories re-told, and ignore new releases?

Zen

Banned
Because they'll burn all the dvd copies of it and it will be erased from everyone's collective memories... They'll still be there.

If anything it will be damaging to future efforts, not the nolan films.

It's both, but they shouldn't be rebooting Batman anyway they struck gold with the Nolan verse of batman and now they want to reboot it into something more generic and shitty so it can play nice with a generic JLA? Just branch the DC films off of the Batman and SuperMan films that you're already making.

ReiGun

I know WB wants a piece of that Avengers pie, but I really hope they tread lightly and make sure whoever is involved in a Justice League movie (or even solo movies with characters who haven't had them) really has a mind for the property and can do it well.

Do I want Flash, Wonder Woman, and Aquaman on the big screen? Yes, but I don't want WB to rush them out the door. The general public already (at least in my view) basically hates DC's characters except for Batman, and WB/DC could do more harm than good if films based on them just happen in some mad dash to catch up to Disney/Marvel

Whatever they do, they need to keep Geoff Johns away from it.

You just know that if a JL movie is made, they're gonna base it on John's current run. The first arc was basically a storyboard for a movie anyway.

pants

do you think audiences to get tired of these remakes, often origin stories re-told, and ignore new releases?

It's not hard to keep comic heroes interesting, there are more than 70 years of stories and interesting materials to dip into, I feel people get tired of eternally retelling origin stories, at least I do.

Let me start some fires with my honest opinion. I don't think any DC characters would transfer to the movies as well as Marvels, except for Batman and Superman. I think Wonder Woman is the only one that pops to mind that I could see working at all.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
I hate list wars but I'm really curious what Marvel has to offer games-wise that compares to the Arkham franchise, Lego Batman 2, and Injustice. Deadpool's coming out soon I guess...? Along with the fiftieth Spider-Man game in the past couple years.

Comics-wise I see nothing but ire on Marvel's side. The Ultimate universe basically imploded on itself with terrible decision after terrible decision, the wounds of One More Day and Ultimatum are still fresh, and I haven't heard of Marvel producing any really compelling story like DC's All-Star Superman, Final Crisis, Court of Owls, etc.

I slant towards DC in my tastes but I try not to let it taint how I see the current landscape, and from where I stand it isn't that rosy for Marvel outside their extremely well-handled movieverse.

havent played the lego batman batman games, but arkham asylum is an alright game, i really dont see the 10/10 scores, but im guessing it has more to do with the acting and handling of characters. injustice looks nice, but with it not being out i kinda find it hard to judge it. marvel has multiple fighters under its belt, and while i havent played the console versions of spider man put the portable versions have been quite enjoyable.

final and court of owls are compelling? id much rather read spider island and or secret invasion than those. and dc having to restructure their line doesnt speak to their strength of established characters either.

Zen

Banned
I disagree, Superman is a universally recognized icon of the medium, Spiderman, Wolverine, Iron Man, Cap, Thor are not at that level yet. It's not about media count, it's just a mindspace thing.

The thing is that being recognizable doesn't translate into "I will see that movie". At one point Sonic was more recognizable than Mickey Mouse but he wasn't as popular or wide a property.

Slayven

I know WB wants a piece of that Avengers pie, but I really hope they tread lightly and make sure whoever is involved in a Justice League movie (or even solo movies with characters who haven't had them) really has a mind for the property and can do it well.

Do I want Flash, Wonder Woman, and Aquaman on the big screen? Yes, but I don't want WB to rush them out the door. The general public already (at least in my view) basically hates DC's characters except for Batman, and WB/DC could do more harm than good if films based on them just happen in some mad dash to catch up to Disney/Marvel

You just know that if a JL movie is made, they're gonna base it on John's current run. The first arc was basically a storyboard for a movie anyway.
They can do that and keep his input to a minimum. They need to get people who's job is do nothing but getting the best possible DC movie setup to be made. Marvel has those folks.

Loxley

How would you guys feel about a Teen Titans/Young Justice movie? They wouldn't necessarily have to call it 'Teen Titans', they could just go with 'Titans' - that way the characters could be slightly older (early-mid 20's). It could act as an entry-way to a larger DCU film like the Justive league. The team could be lead by Robin/Nightwing who could act as Batman's (and DC/WB's) cinematic substitute while they ready up a new series of Batman films.

I feel like it would be a slightly safer way for DC to get an 'Avengers'-esque ensemble movie out there without immediately throwing their major characters to the lions. A way for them to test-the-waters so to speak.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
The thing is that being recognizable doesn't translate into "I will see that movie". At one point Sonic was more recognizable than Mickey Mouse but he wasn't as popular or wide a property.

What? Worldwide? Hell no!

Slayven

havent played the lego batman batman games, but arkham asylum is an alright game, i really dont see the 10/10 scores, but im guessing it has more to do with the acting and handling of characters. injustice looks nice, but with it not being out i kinda find it hard to judge it. marvel has multiple fighters under its belt, and while i havent played the console versions of spider man put the portable versions have been quite enjoyable.

final and court of owls are compelling? id much rather read spider island and or secret invasion than those. and dc having to restructure their line doesnt speak to their strength of established characters either.
You would be alright if you weren't a Gambit fan.

pants

Let me start some fires with my honest opinion. I don't think any DC characters would transfer to the movies as well as Marvels, except for Batman and Superman. I think Wonder Woman is the only one that pops to mind that I could see working at all.
The ones that would work best arent the well known ones really. For example, like Andrex, I think a Nightwing movie if done well has so much potential, but the character isnt big enough.

I do agree with that, Supes being the most recognizable will do nothing for box office bottom lines, as we have seen before. Going to ignore the Sonic bit/bait!

ferr

They need some drastic reboots of established characters in the comics before they take on movies.

Also, I think The Flash could work. Might come off as formulaic, but Flash's origin story is pretty similar to Spider-Man's. Pretty sure they could do some cool slow-mo fast-running scenes going / him realizing he's really fast, etc. And lots of slow-mo. Get Zack Snyder.

SRG01

One could even argue superman's Televised and theatrical efforts have been substantially less relevant than Spiderman over the last two decades or so.

Spiderman's international audience is also much larger than Superman.

They need some drastic reboots of established characters in the comics before they take on movies.

They already did. New 52?

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Have to reboot a new Batman. I'm sure DC/WB is going to be scrambling to try and set up Justice League like Avengers was.

Isn't JL being made soon? So the plan now is to do superman, followed by reboot batman, and then JL?

Yup, shitty move since it would confuse people. Should just make Batman Beyond or Robin/Nightwing trilogy, but that will never happen :(

I would love a batman beyond movie.

Imagine a batman flick based off of the killing joke.

ReiGun

Before Justice League, DC should work on getting Wonder Woman out the door. Shame she hasn't been in her own movie yet.

They can do that and keep his input to a minimum. They need to get people who's job is do nothing but getting the best possible DC movie setup to be made. Marvel has those folks.
Agreed, but I just can't escape this feeling that Johns is going to end up having more influence than he really should.

DC really does need a team working on this though.

How would you guys feel about a Teen Titans movie? They wouldn't necessarily have to call it 'Teen Titans', they could just go with 'Titans' - that way the characters could be slightly older (early-mid 20's). It could act as an entry-way to a larger DCU film like the Justice league.

I feel like it would be a slightly safer way for DC to get an 'Avengers'-esque ensemble movie out there without immediately throwing their major characters to the lions. A way for them to test-the-waters so to speak.
If they use the team from the cartoon, they could have a hit on their hands. Hell, I'd watch it.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.

Prove it.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Wait what, you're a Gambit fan? I don't follow the xmen closely but isnt he widely regarded as a douchebag lol

here he is. and the people that know me constantly call me out for it.. but most of them like longshot so people in glass houses are throwing stones

WillyFive

Man, it's amazing how Marvel took their shtick and ran with it, leaving DC with nothing. DC really messed up in their movie business.

ryan-reynolds-green-lantern.jpg

I want to believe

kswiston

Spider-man is probably the only Marvel hero on par with Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman as far as recognizable icons go (Hulk is up there too). However, I think Marvel's character library is stronger than DC's overall. General audiences know DC's big seven (minus Martian Manhunter), the batman villains and allies, Lex Luthor and maybe General Zod. Once you get beyond those characters, recognizability drops real fast.

Marvel has their Avengers characters, Spider-man, the X-Men, but also a strong b-tier (Fantastic Four, Ghost Rider, Daredevil, Silver Surfer, the Punisher) that most people have at least heard of. How many non-comic/non-dc animated fans know who Star Man or Booster Gold or Animal Man are?

Spider-man is probably the only Marvel hero on par with Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman as far as recognizable icons go (Hulk is up there too), however, I think Marvel's character library is stronger than DC's overall. General audiences know DC's big seven (minus Martian Manhunter), the batman villains and allies, Lex Luthor and maybe General Zod. Once you get beyond those characters, recognizability drops real fast.

Marvel has their Avengers characters, Spider-man, the X-Men, but also a strong b-tier (Fantastic Four, Ghost Rider, Daredevil, Silver Surfer, the Punisher) that most people have at least heard of. How many non-comic/non-dc animated fans know who Star Man or Booster Gold or Animal Man are?

Oh faud off brah thinking Star man and Animal Man as B list characters while comparing them to Marvel's B List.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Ha ha ha, there must be some Warner and DC execs just watching the Marvel at the movies sensation and tipping every magazine rack over in a 5 mile radius.

The Avengers, before modern EVERYONE IS AN AVENGER protocol and the current movie line-up, were not even Marvel's most recognisable characters with Spider-Man and Wolverine about, whilst the Justice League is like every single main DC superhero out there.

Feels like Smallville with all its cheapatronic awfulness was getting closer to an interconnected DC live action universe than the movies will this entire decade, and thats something to laughing-giveswayto-sobbing about for them.

ReiGun

What's wrong with the suit? The mask was bad, but I didn't think the suit was all that bad.

I never liked the "vein-y" look of the suit. I get what they were going for (emphasizing that the suit is a construct of the ring), but it just didn't work for me. It being all CG didn't help either.

But yeah, the mask was the worst part. It looks unfinished.

Loxley

I'm curious what would happen if DC/WB decided to let Bruce Timm pull a Brad Bird/Andrew Stanton and direct one of their live-action super-hero movies.

pants

Good. Because there's really no one worth making a movie for aside from Bats.
Not for me, off the top of my head people I'd like to see in the film universe

Green Arrow with Roy Harper
Nightwing
Captain Marvel (as a light hearted/comedic thing)
Flash (Walter West aka Dark Flash)
Red Hood
Zatanna Zatara (please!!!!)
Raven
Cassandra Cain
Hippolyta
Death
Jade with Roy Harper
Power Girl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom