• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No New DC Comics Movies For “At Least 3 Years” Besides Batman and Superman Films

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every knows who Nightwing is.

This is so wrong. My brother is a hardcore video game player, loves the Batman movies, we watched the animated series as kids, and he has read a few choice graphic novels. Brother in law loves the animated series, casual gamer, likes all the movies, and is a light comic book reader. Father has seen all the movies and read a lot of comics as a kid.

We watched Under the Red Hood. None of them knew who the fuck Nightwing was. Anecdotal evidence complete.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Nightwing isn't even in the strata of the most well-known heroes, but he's probably the most well known second stringer I'd say. Almost definitely the most popular.

All of the DC movies in his lifetime have either been too adult, or just bad...therefore he hasn't seen a single one.

You have failed as a father.

But seriously, you haven't exposed him to Batman TAS?

Also, you let him watch Iron Man but not Batman Begins?

This is so wrong. My brother is a hardcore video game player, loves the Batman movies, we watched the animated series as kids, and he has read a few choice graphic novels. Brother in law loves the animated series, casual gamer, likes all the movies, and is a light comic book reader. Father has seen all the movies and read a lot of comics as a kid.

We watched Under the Red Hood. None of them knew who the fuck Nightwing was. Anecdotal evidence complete.

Nightwing was in the Animated series. So you must not have watched it close enough.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

They must have been trolling you, because Nightwing was somewhat prominent in the later TAS episodes (Dick leaving Bruce was also a major plotline in the earlier eps.) And if they read the comics what did they think ended up happening to Dick? Did they just assume there's only been one Robin? You can't have read more than a handful of Batman comics and come to that conclusion.

Nightwing was in the Animated series. So you must not have watched it close enough.

Well, yeah, we were kids. Was he in the early seasons? I don't think I ever saw any of "The New Batman Adventures" or whatever the hell that show became. I think we tuned out shortly after it really became Batmand and Robin, so I assume he wasn't on by that point.

EDIT: Yeah, wikipedia says he was in New Batman Adventures, not The Animated Series.

kswiston

The Iron Man vs Nightwing thing is silly. Everyone knows who Robin is. People may or may not know that Dick Grayson was Robin's name (or that there have been more than one Robin). However, it would take all of 20 seconds to explain it.

The real question is whether anyone wants to see a movie starring Nightwing/Dick Grayson. He would still have the stigma of being a sidekick/spin off character to Batman. That's probably the real reason we don't have a Nightwing videogame like we did Iron Man and Captain America (way before the movies). Why bother making a game or solo cartoon about Nightwing when you can just use Batman?

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"

how has he watched the animated series, but not know who nightwing is?

EDIT: i see this was adressed.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
there will be a reboot within 10 years after TDKR.

It did only take Batman Begins eight years.

Well, yeah, we were kids. Was he in the early seasons? I don't think I ever saw any of "The New Batman Adventures" or whatever the hell that show became. I think we tuned out shortly after it really became Batmand and Robin, so I assume he wasn't on by that point.

EDIT: Yeah, wikipedia says he was in New Batman Adventures, not The Animated Series.

It's the same show...

He left in the early seasons and came back in TNBA.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_New_Batman_Adventures

Edit: Yeah they are the same show. Just with a time skip.

Ikael

I would pay good money for a properly done Red Superman movie. Oh, and a "The boys", too, even if DC does not hold the copyright license anymore. However...

Batman is their only universally popular hero, the rest are pretty mediocre or out of date, or in the case of Superman...both

This is the root of the problem, right here. Most DC comic's superheroes are more like vainilla Greek Gods rather than, say, compelling characters. Then again, give free reign to a good director which likes the subject, and you will get more Nolanverse Batman like films, it is not a question of turning the franchises "darker" or "edgier" or "more realistic" or any other catchword crap, but Warner Bros doesn't seem to get it.

Parallax

It did only take Batman Begins eight years.

It's the same show...

it is, but its like turtles from the original run to the red sky run. so many things were made different that it feels like a different show.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
The Iron Man vs Nightwing thing is silly. Everyone knows who Robin is. People may or may not know that Dick Grayson was Robin's name (or that there have been more than one Robin). However, it would take all of 20 seconds to explain it.

The real question is whether anyone wants to see a movie starring Nightwing/Dick Grayson. He would still have the stigma of being a sidekick/spin off character to Batman. That's probably the real reason we don't have a Nightwing videogame like we did Iron Man and Captain America (way before the movies). Why bother making a game or solo cartoon about Nightwing when you can just use Batman?

But isn't Deadpool getting a game now? Apples and oranges, I guess.

I sort of share the same view, but it could be done. The comics have done well separating Nightwing from Batman, and if anything the Teen Titans show showed that Dick Grayson can exist completely on his own without even so much as referencing Batman. (That's actually sort of a triumph when come to think of it, that I don't associate TT Robin with Batman at all.)

Nesotenso

I hate list wars but I'm really curious what Marvel has to offer games-wise that compares to the Arkham franchise, Lego Batman 2, and Injustice. Deadpool's coming out soon I guess...? Along with the fiftieth Spider-Man game in the past couple years.

Comics-wise I see nothing but ire on Marvel's side. The Ultimate universe basically imploded on itself with terrible decision after terrible decision, the wounds of One More Day and Ultimatum are still fresh, and I haven't heard of Marvel producing any really compelling story like DC's All-Star Superman, Final Crisis, Court of Owls, etc.

I slant towards DC in my tastes but I try not to let it taint how I see the current landscape, and from where I stand it isn't that rosy for Marvel outside their extremely well-handled movieverse.

This explains a lot about your perceptions comics wise. Visit the Comics |OT| sometimes and ask what Marvel books people are reading. Start with the character in my avatar. a run which won its creators 3 Eisners this weekend including best continuing series

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
it is, but its like turtles from the original run to the red sky run. so many things were made different that it feels like a different show.

I mean if you take the first episode of each and compare them, they are somewhat noticeably different. But TAS shifted over the course of its run. Take the last ep of TAS and compare it to Adventures and it's pretty indistinguishable, I think.
This explains a lot about your perceptions comics wise. Visit the Comics |OT| sometimes and ask what Marvel books are reading. Start with the character in my avatar. a run which won it's creators 3 Eisners this weekend including best continuing series

I sooo need to get back into ComicsGAF but I'm such a noob, lol. It's hard to get in there when 95% of the discussion is about books you don't plan on reading.

Regardless, I do visit ComicVine so I like to think I'm somewhat on the up-and-up.

It's the same show...

I know they get lumped together, but I never saw any of it after Batman and Robin. It seems weird to me to refer to them as the same series. I've never seen them so my view could be wrong, but just from reading about it, they seem pretty different.

EDIT: Yeah:

Wikipedia said:
The WB wanted more episodes of Batman: The Animated Series, so 24 new episodes were produced, which featured a different format and more focus on Batman's supporting cast.

In addition to the network's demands, the producers decided to make the show match Superman: The Animated Series' graphic style, so all the characters and objects were redesigned as more "animation friendly" with fewer lines, usually referred to by the fans and creative staff as the "revamp" (or alternately, the "new look").

That focus on the supporting cast is a pretty huge difference to try and call it Batman: The Animated Series to me.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I know they get lumped together, but I never saw any of it after Batman and Robin. It seems weird to me to refer to them as the same series. I've never seen them so my view could be wrong, but just from reading about it, they seem pretty different.

EDIT: Yeah:

That focus on the supporting cast is a pretty huge difference to try and call it Batman: The Animated Series to me.

I dunno. I've watched it and it seemed like the same old fantastic stuff to me.

Poyunch

Making a Martian Manhunter movie would be so easy. He's a cop in his human identity. A space-alien shape-shifter that can read minds and solve crimes. That's awesome.

Nightwing isn't even in the strata of the most well-known heroes, but he's probably the most well known second stringer I'd say. Almost definitely the most popular.

You have failed as a father.

But seriously, you haven't exposed him to Batman TAS?

Also, you let him watch Iron Man but not Batman Begins?

He's seen some of the Batman stuff, but it doesn't click like Spiderman or Ironman. I honestly don't remember whether or not BB was too violent, but TDK surely was. No point in starting a trilogy that we can't finish.

Also, he's starting to drift away from animated super heros. Live action keeps his attention, but the only cartoons that he really gets into now are phineas and ferb, and gravity falls.
edit: and ninjago...how could I forget that.

Making a Martian Manhunter movie would be so easy. He's a cop in his human identity. A space-alien shape-shifter that can read minds and solve crimes. That's awesome.

Too many (actually every DC hero besides Batman and Superman) heroes can't stand up to the All Star Superman test. Can you tell their origin in 8, understandable words? It's why all their other franchises bomb and Marvel's keep rising to heaven.

Parallax

stretch that into a series with him trying to thwart a white martian invasion. and keep it away from the cw.

and you know who could play him?

Idris Elba

No, Fassbender.

guys, hes a shapeshifter. he can be two cops in different divisions.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Too many (actually every DC hero besides Batman and Superman) heroes can't stand up to the All Star Superman test. Can you tell their origin in 8, understandable words? It's why all their other franchises bomb and Marvel's keep rising to heaven.

He's a shapeshifting Martian whose race was killed.

ReiGun

Wonder Woman: Champion and princess of the Amazons chosen to be their ambassador to the world of man.

16 words...You win this round

Edit: Actually, let me try again All Star style.

Desperate queen. Prayer to the gods. Princess. Champion. Ambassador. Wonder Woman.

11 words. Ugh. :p

remnant

Banned
You are wrong.

DC are a bunch of fuck ups, sure, but warner animation gas made a lot of the DC characters surprisingly popular

among animation fans but there are lot of people who don't know them.

ANd it's not hard to see why. DC has been pushing certain heroes(namely batman and to a lesser extent GL) over their entire line in every medium for years.

remnant

Banned
How many brahs know Thor's later egos name or that Nick Fury is white? Come on brah.
A shitton. Nick and Thor have kinda been in the news recently. Wonder Woman is given this stature of 'public fame" simply because DC markets her as part of the trinity but she is just as much of a question mark to the public as as the other JL members that aren't the big two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom