• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD November 2011 Sales Results [Update 7: Skyrim, CoD Wii, PC Retail Sales Up 57%]

[Nintex];33326418 said:
It's time for Nintendo to blow the lid of the Wii U by like... tommorow. The Wii has had a great run but it's time to move on and they really shouldn't unveil a console and then not say anything about it anymore... that's just not fair :(

Seems like the obvious answer is they had to go back to the drawing board in July and things are in flux right now.

Road

To compare last 2 years

Nov_NPD_HW_Estimates.jpg

So 3DS+DS is basically slightly down (Sort of bad for 3DS first year + nearly 50% price cut), 360 and PS3 explosion, Wii continues its downward slope into oblivion, and everything else is negligible or noone cares enough to look it up
Those November numbers are estimates by I don't know who, not the NPD figures.

To compare last 2 years

So 3DS+DS is basically slightly down (Sort of bad for 3DS first year + nearly 50% price cut), 360 and PS3 explosion, Wii continues its downward slope into oblivion, and everything else is negligible or noone cares enough to look it up

Might want to use the actual NPD numbers instead of what I am assuming is chartz.

udivision

To be fair, that is about 70-90% of the total Wii audience now. I really doubt that the WM+ requirement had any significant effect on the total Zelda SS sales.

Are you sure about that? Especially becuase the number of people who have multiple WM+'s doesn't add that number.

I'm not 100% sure that it really is because of what he did, so much as it happened under his watch. Moore and company left a long time ago, and much of what is making the 360 such a success now, are things that were set in stone long ago.

Not that I am saying Mattrick gets no credit, or that he just rode someone else's wave, however.

This.

[Nintex]

Seems like the obvious answer is they had to go back to the drawing board in July and things are in flux right now.

I think they could do as much as show a Smash Bros. CG trailer next week at some event and have people talk about it. Nintendo actually 'talking' about Wii U might change the perception of the system. Right now it's on Vitality Sensor level of public awareness and I still feel it's possible they might cancel the whole thing lol.

I got a question, do you think MS and Xbox are primed to take next-gen? Their plan was probably like :

* get the name out there with the Xbox
* get a strong foothold in the market with Xbox 360 and sell a lot and get momentum and increase the brand name recognition (I think they really surpassed all this stuff)
* take over the market with Xbox 720 and 'win' the sales war, be #1

With their renewed focus on Kinect I'm not looking forward to that scenario. Probably rather have Sony and PS4 be #1

BurntPork

Banned
[Nintex];33326665 said:
I think they could do as much as show a Smash Bros. CG trailer next week at some event and have people talk about it. Nintendo actually 'talking' about Wii U might change the perception of the system. Right now it's on Vitality Sensor level of public awareness and I still feel it's possible they might cancel the whole thing lol.

Maybe they'll show it at Jump Festa?

BELIEVE

fernoca

To compare last 2 years

Nov_NPD_HW_Estimates.jpg

??

NPD November 2010:
NDS: 1.5M
360: 1.3M
Wii: 1.2M
PS3: 530K
PSP: 280K

Plus a few pointed earlier that 3DS numbers are better than expected [(alone) first November > DS second November (with DSlites included is better) > DS first November (launch)].

I got a question, do you think MS and Xbox are primed to take next-gen? Their plan was probably like :

* get a strong foothold in the market and sell a lot and get momentum and increase the brand name recognition (I think they really surpassed all this stuff)
* take over the market and 'win' the sales war, be #1

With their renewed focus on Kinect I'm not looking forward to that scenario. Probably rather have Sony and PS4 be #1

I don't care who ends up #1. I just want all three to remain profitable and to continue putting out quality products and services.

Overall the console market seems to still be healthy, contrary to what fossils like Richard Garriot have to say about it.

jman2050

* get a strong foothold in the market with Xbox 360 and sell a lot and get momentum and increase the brand name recognition (I think they really surpassed all this stuff)

That's way way too forward thinking for a corporation like Microsoft.

I don't think they will ever be No.1 until they change their fortunes drastically in Japan and moreso throughout Europe

Manager

Nah, i don`t think so. It helps, but it`s not THE reason. If so where is Kinect Sport 2? Or Kinect software in general?

I've sold hundreds of x360 the last couple of weeks (Europe), and literally 90%.was a Kinect bundle. No one buys the games, except Sports here and there. They only buy the start pack which now contains three games.

Many, many have been parents buying to their kids who are tired of Wii. I've set up a Kinect in the (general electronics) store and it's insane how many parents are impulsive buying it. "it's good for the kids, this way they also get excercise!"

Patapwn

"Bad" is a relative term. I'm just guessing here but I'm betting Nintendo generated more profit from selling their hardware this month than Sony did. From a business perspective then I'm guessing Nintendo won.

There is more to gaming revenue than hardware profit. Software is where it's at, and from a business perspective, I'm guessing Sony won (behind ms of course)

I don't think they will ever be No.1 until they change their fortunes drastically in Japan and moreso throughout Europe
Japan isn't particularly important any more. They just sold considerably more 360s in one month in the US than the PS3 sold all year in Japan.

Mainland Europe though... yeah, they really need to pull their socks up there.

herod

Are we sure PS3 wasn't just 70% up on last month? The PR is ambiguous, you could ascribe the YoY part to software only.

Since no one called me on it earlier.

If the 360 doubled what they've sold this year and the Wii stayed the same the 360 would either get close to, or surpass what the Wii has sold.

If they only sold the amount they have this year, and the Wii doesn't sell anything MS would still be behind. Either way, it doesn't exactly scream out as possible.

Cipherr

(Sort of bad for 3DS first year + nearly 50% price cut)

This needs to stop, its gotten beyond ridiculous. Now we are comparing the best, or perhaps second best November of DS, which at that time was 5 years mature with a massive library and momentum to the first year Nov of the 3DS? Trying to hard.

3DS has done more than gotten back on track. Its doing amazing.

GavinGT

Banned
That's way way too forward thinking for a corporation like Microsoft.

They said back in 2000 that it would take three generations to become the market leader. You're selling them short if you don't think they have some very smart, forward-looking people on top of these matters.

Delio

Japan isn't particularly important any more. They just sold considerably more 360s in one month in the US than the PS3 sold all year in Japan.

It's sad that Japan is not important anymore. More so for me when they make most of the games I like. I don't see MS launching in Japan next gen though.

[Nintex];33325984 said:
If I had told people back in 2005 that MS would outsell PlayStation 3 2:1 I would've probably been banned for trolling

I wish I could talk to 2005 Me. All gettin' picked on for buying a 360 by all the big kids waiting for the PS3. I want to say, "Hey little buddy. Dry your eyes. In seven years you'll be in Middle School and the 360 will be the biggest console in America."

I want to talk to him. I want to try and talk some sense to him, tell him the way things are. But I can't. That kid's long gone and this old man is all that's left.

Yeah... the Wii would have to sell zero units until the 720 launch for the 360 to overtake it.

Not really. 360 has picked up 2m this year so far IIRC, probably will get at least another m in Dec. Which would leave it some 5.7 behind, and having gained 3m in 2011. So yeah, it's pretty easy to extrapolate out. Say it only gains another 3m in 2012, it would be getting pretty close. But with Wii U coming, possible 360 price drop eventually, etc...

If you arbitrarily set the cutoff date at Wii U launch, or next xbox launch, or what have you, maybe Wii can stay ahead. But in absolute terms I think it's pretty impossible.

More troubling for Wii must be it's YoY trends. It's flagging fast.

Most important thing: Make it easy to transfer XBox Account information between consoles, probably the main reason the 360 took off in America is because the size of the XBox Live community reached critical mass first.

guek

Banned
I think it's a bit strange that the Wii doing 40k less than the PS3 suddenly means its dead. Had the PS3 only sold roughly what they did last year, would people be reacting the same way?

I mean, yes, it's on it's way out, but I think we're going to see solid Wii numbers during the holidays for at least another year, possibly 2. Once the Wii hits $99, it'll sell consistently for awhile. 860k units isn't a bad number, and I don't mean that as some sort of nintendo defense force kind of shit. If 860k is bad, I don't see how 900K is great. It is comparatively disappointing though, or at least unexpected.

Road

They sold more 360s this month than they sold in 6 years in Japan.

Since no one called me on it earlier.

If the 360 doubled what they've sold this year and the Wii stayed the same the 360 would either get close to, or surpass what the Wii has sold.

If they only sold the amount they have this year, and the Wii doesn't sell anything MS would still be behind. Either way, it doesn't exactly scream out as possible.

360 has gained 2 MM ground this year so far and will likely chop another 1 MM in December, if not more.

Next year, Wii will continue on a downward trajectory, while Microsoft should be able to maintain and perhaps even increase its momentum if they play the proper pricing strategies.

I think 360 has a better chance of continuing to sell even after Microsoft releases the successor.

No, 360 will not catch Wii next year, but into 2013, 2014, I think it has good odds. Now whether or not that's important, don't even want to debate it.

Top Bottom