• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for February 2015 [Nintendo Numbers, Majora's, MH4, ~XB1]

Bgamer90

Banned
Don't you think Forza fans have X1 already, considering there's two forza games on x1.

No, not all of them. Some only care about Motorsport series and Forza Motorsport 5's reception (+ the Xbox One's high price at the time) caused many to wait.

Same with Halo I doubt any Halo fan could pass on the MCC.

Nope. Some wanted to wait for the actual new Halo game. Others who wanted to get MCC held off due to its major issues at launch.

Who ever has The best deals will win the holidays. Parents don't look at exclusives they look at price tags.

Parents look at exclusives if they know what those exclusives are. Many parents (at least in North America) definitely know what Halo is.

donny2112

Also software tie is very high

Total retail software is higher, but that's also a function of the much greater hardware sales. The tie ratio itself is lower, not including digital (of course).

Tie Ratios:
360 @ 16 months - 5.4
PS3 @ 16 months - 4.4
PS2 @ 16 months - ~5

XB1 @ 14 months (i.e. after December) - 3.9
PS4 @ 14 months (i.e. after December) - 3.7

Did the 360 also have significant price cutting in 2006 to help it?

They had the PS3's price. Didn't Peter Moore say that was like a price cut for the 360?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Seems more like a symptom of the Wii U dragging everything else down.

Perhaps. People who didn't see this coming were blind, though. It was clear the Wii was an outrageous anomaly.

Meh, console is far from dead. Just looking at the PS4 and Xbox One launches + holiday months can show you that. Also software tie is very high and I expect attach rate of software to be higher than previous gens.

Last gen we had the Wii which had a high percentage of casual gamers with very front loaded sales. But the Wii also had hardcore and semi casual audience that bought either a PS3 or 360 as well. Also the gen was much longer and had extension tools.

I suggest this gen will be similar to gen 6 but lower due to Wii U failure + success of other industries such as mobile. Far from dead though. There is still a need and want for a dedicated console industry despite the boom in mobile and casual gaming.

I never said it was dead, or even dying.

Purest 78

No, not all of them. Some only care about Motorsport series and Forza Motorsport 5's reception (+ the Xbox One's high price at the time) caused many to wait.

Nope. Some wanted to wait for the actual new Halo game. Others who wanted to get MCC held off due to its major issues at launch.

Parents look at exclusives if they know what those exclusives are. Many parents (at least in North America) definitely know what Halo is.

Keep up the optimism Man

allan-bh

Don't you think Forza fans have X1 already, considering there's two forza games on x1. Same with Halo I doubt any Halo fan could pass on the MCC. Who ever has The best deals will win the holidays. Parents don't look at exclusives they look at price tags.

I kinda agree about Forza, but Halo 5 has way more appeal than Halo MCC. A lot Halo fans are not on board yet.

Purest 78

I kinda agree about Forza, but Halo 5 has way more appeal than Halo MCC. A lot Halo fans are not on board yet.

I just can't see big Halo fans passing on MCC obviously it's just my opinion. I'm not saying all of course But I think a large portion jumped on board already.

I just can't see big Halo fans passing on MCC obviously it's just my opinion. I'm not saying all of course But I think a large portion jumped on board already.

Big Halo fans, sure.

But Halo is a mainstream IP. There's also a sizable chunk of 'the average FPS fan' who care more about the 'next big Halo release' instead of some 4-game rehash.

Sure, MCC is super-appealing to the hardcore Halo fans. But there' no 8-10 million 'hardcore Halo' fans out there. I'd say a large chunk of those just look at the brand, the fact that there's a number behind that brand, and buy it because it's fun.

ZhugeEX

Banned
The XBO also had the so called fire sale holiday prices/bundles to give a massive boost in November and December. Did the 360 also have significant price cutting in 2006 to help it?

No the 360 did not. But as Donny said, it was already much cheaper than the PS3 + had excellent marketing and games.

Bgamer90

Banned
Keep up the optimism Man

It's not optimism. It's fact. Very funny how that's your reply to me instead of stating something that can actually go against what I said.

How could every Halo or Forza fan have an Xbox One already when the Xbox One doesn't have anywhere close to the same user base as the 360?

Will it be smart to assume that every Uncharted fan will have a PS4 by the end of this year if there's an Uncharted collection?

Forza 5 sold more than the previous entries of Forza Motorsport.

You mean in terms of the same amount of time after game release right?

Forza 5 did very well since it was a launch title. Still doesn't mean that there aren't any Forza fans without an Xbox One though.

Welfare

So I checked Amazon best sellers in video games. MCC bundle is nowhere to be found in the top 100, ACU bundle is in the top 100 (#17). Any idea why MCC bundle isn't doing so great?

MS said that Forza 5 is the fastest-selling racing game in Xbox history http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-02-18-ms-forza-5-fastest-selling-racing-game-in-xbox-history

Just checking and I didn't even see that NBA bundle.

But for MCC, I'd assume it would get more exposure as it gets ads on TV. Also it seems to be low stock? It says it may take 1-2 days to process.

Also fastest selling doesn't mean best selling. Halo 4 was selling faster than every other Halo in the US, but it didn't outsell Halo 3 (just checked).

Chobel

You mean in terms of the same amount of time after game release right?

Forza 5 did very well since it was a launch title. Still doesn't mean that there aren't any Forza fans without an Xbox One though.

Obviously not every Forza fan owns an XB1, but judging from the amount of copy sold in very short period I'll say a significant portion of them own XB1.

Bgamer90

Banned
Obviously not every Forza fan own XB1, but judging from the amount of copy sold in very short period I'll say a significant portion of them own XB1.

Racing games usually do very well alongside a console's launch since they are great games to have to show off the console's graphics; Forza 5 was the first Forza game for many people.

Elandyll

Banned

Frankly that seems to be higly subjective.
It seems frankly logical that both Forza fans and Halo fans would have jumped on the X1 offers (very tempting ones) either during the Holidays or early this year. The Halo Bundle (supposedly incoming soon) should also be a big draw for whoever is left out there as a Halo gamer.

The only "classic" Xbox Gamer I can imagine still holding off atm is the Gears fan tbh.

And the Banjo Kazooie or Remedy ones of course.

I think that the point of many in this thread is that the 2nd half of the year lineup for MS is mostly already known, unless things get pushed to next year (thinking of Quantum Break, which is only a rumor at the moment afaik).
You can only cram so many 1st/2nd party titles within 4 months before you start seriously pissing off your third party "colleagues" (EA, Activision & Co).

For now, MS is looking like: Halo 5, Quantum Break, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Forza 6 and probably a Rare title, on top of a very probably Dance/ Kinect only title. All of that within something like 4-5 months (Between August and December).
Add to that the rumored Gears Collection, and it's a jam packed "Season".

Otoh Sony ... Well. Nothing is known now (aside from the Destiny expansion pack, which is technically a MP thing). E3 is going to be very interesting (and I do expect something on MS's side to give way, so that they can pull out a little surprise).

I used to think that Tearaway Unfolded was going to be UC4's companion for the Holiday, but now UC4 is MIA and Unfolded is rumored for the summer...

Crazy times.

Chobel

Also fastest selling doesn't mean best selling. Halo 4 was selling faster than every other Halo in the US, but it didn't outsell Halo 3 (just checked).
You're right, but that would assume the "fastest selling" doesn't have long legs and/or it's losing popularity. Forza 5 doesn't seem to have these issues.

Racing games usually do very well alongside a console's aunch since they are great games to have to show off the console's graphics; Forza 5 was the first Forza game for many people.
Fair enough.

Forza 3 is the best selling yet...

Fastest just say that it sold more at launch but the console had record launch sales too.
Source?

Purest 78

It's not optimism. It's fact. Very funny how that's your reply to me instead of stating something that can actually go against what I said.

How could every Halo or Forza fan have an Xbox One already when the Xbox One doesn't have anywhere close to the same user base as the 360?

Will it be smart to assume that every Uncharted fan will have a PS4 by the end of this year if there's an Uncharted collection?

I would think you would know I don't mean literally every fan of the games. If I have to explain it I mean a large majority.

Welfare

What are you talking about? I didn't say anything negative about your precious MS.

Nice word choice.

nice.jpg

Bgamer90

Banned
Frankly that seems to be higly subjective.
It seems frankly logical that both Forza fans and Halo fans would have jumped on the X1 offers (very tempting ones) either during the Holidays or early this year. The Halo Bundle (supposedly incoming soon) should also be a big draw for whoever is left out there as a Halo gamer.

The only "classic" Xbox Gamer I can imagine still holding off atm is the Gears fan tbh.

And the Banjo Kazooie or Remedy ones of course.

Many Halo fans are waiting for the first true new Halo game this gen to make the jump to a $300+ console.

It's funny since I remember people here (not you by the way) saying MCC wouldn't be a console seller because it's a "bunch of old games" and that more are waiting for Halo 5. But now (apparently) Halo 5 isn't going to do much because most Halo fans already have an Xbox One due to MCC.

I think that the point of many in this thread is that the 2nd half of the year lineup for MS is mostly already known, unless things get pushed to next year (thinking of Quantum Break, which is only a rumor at the moment afaik).
You can only cram so many 1st/2nd party titles within 4 months before you start seriously pissing off your third party "colleagues" (EA, Activision & Co).

It's definitely mostly known. There's still (apparently) a few titles coming for this year though.

For now, MS is looking like: Halo 5, Quantum Break, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Forza 6 and probably a Rare title, on top of a very probably Dance/ Kinect only title. All of that within something like 4-5 months (Between August and December).
Add to that the rumored Gears Collection, and it's a jam packed "Season".

I don't think we'll see a retail kinect only title. Think those games will only be in the digital space.

Otoh Sony ... Well. Nothing is known now (aside from the Destiny expansion pack, which is technically a MP thing). E3 is going to be very interesting (and I do expect something on MS's side to give way, so that they can pull out a little surprise).

I used to think that Tearaway Unfolded was going to be UC4's companion for the Holiday, but now UC4 is MIA and Unfolded is rumored for the summer...

Crazy times.

Yeah, the second half of the year will definitely be packed. I could see Sony rushing an Uncharted collection (if they haven't started working on it already) due to the gap Uncharted 4's delay caused; Think it would be very smart to have it before Uncharted 4 since there's many 360 owners that have a PS4 now that never played the games on the PS3.

Ratchet and Clank is suppose to come out this year too. Don't know what else Sony could have for the Holiday season in terms of bigger retail games.

ZhugeEX

Banned

Well duh, F5 was a launch game on a console with zero install base. F3 had an almost 40 million install base. 2 months worth of sales is hardly worth comparing either.

Also Forza 5 was over 1.3m, not 1 million. Which is exceptional for a launch title.

But that's all the sales figures we have. We don't know which game sold better out of all titles.

ethomaz

Banned
Well duh, F5 was a launch game on a console with zero install base. F3 had an almost 40 million install base. 2 months worth of sales is hardly worth comparing either.

Also Forza 5 was over 1.3m, not 1 million. Which is exceptional for a launch title.[
I fixed the link... Forza 3 did 1 million in one month.

Why MS says Forza 5 was the fastest selling if Forza 3 sold faster lol

Bgamer90

Banned
I would think you would know I don't mean literally every fan of the games. If I have to explain it I mean a large majority.

Never thought you were saying that.

My point was that I wouldn't even say a large majority. I'm positive that the Xbox One isn't at 50% of its userbase when the gen is over yet. There's (therefore) a good chunk of people who are waiting for games like Halo 5 to release.

ZhugeEX

Banned
I fixed the link... Forza 3 did 1 million in one month.

Why MS says Forza 5 was the fastest selling if Forza 3 sold faster lol

Chobel is wrong as well.

But we have no hard evidence to say Forza 3 is the best selling. (even though it probably is :p)

The reason MS said Forza 5 is the fastest selling is because it is.

donny2112

Halo Anniversary is the only other remake of Halo we have for comparison. Released on a mature Halo supported platform, and it sold somewhere < 700K in November from the NPD thread that month. Halo 2, 3, 4, and Reach sold ~3m at launch, in comparison. The fanbase, even when they already own the system, doesn't seem particularly interested in remakes. MCC is a remake, so it very much stands to reason that there are still a lot of Halo aficionados that wouldn't have been particularly tempted by its release on XB1 last Fall.

Haha, so now those PS4 exclusives don't mean anything? Could have sworn you used them to state how the PS4 has a more solid Q1/Q2 period than the Xbox One does in previous discussions.

Anyway, those games are still far more "mainstream attention grabbing" than only Screamride and Ori.

Again, what reason would many people have to get an XB1 right now? There's no major exclusives being released for it until August at the earliest. It's smarter for people who want an XB1 to get one when new games are actually being released for it. It doesn't need to be cheaper during months that are low(er) for console sales + lacking in terms of new game releases.

If anything, it's smarter to get more money from sales now (via not having a price drop) and worrying about catching up during the months in which console sales will be higher -- with those months also being when the XB1 will have a good number of big titles.

I thought the Order would score a but better than it did (I expected mid 70s meta). As is, it's not likely to move many systems. And I did use them to talk about the PS4 having a stronger first half of the year, which is true; however, I've also always said that exclusives don't really matter as much as we'd think. Outside of the big ones like Halo and GT, mutliplats are what sell the most systems. Games like CoD more 360s than any exclusive, this Gen the PS4 has been positioned as the console to have for mutliplats and that's why it continues to do so well, even though it's more expensive.

MS problems can be fixed by being cheaper but only so much. Their image problem is a lot worse and a lot harder to fiX. Last gen the 360 was the cool console, the one all your friends have. This Gen the X1 hasn't been able to replicate and in fact it's seen as the opposite to a certain degree.

That's why I think that the best thing MS could do is a relaunch. Slim model, new low price with Halo 5 and a brand new marketing campaign. In NA, that may be enough to turn the tide.

My own view of the X1 is that it's a solid console. While I'm disappointed by the 9 month dry spell, it still has a good library of games and I don't regret buying it at all (the white model just looks so good). SO alone is worth the console but obviously most people don't buy a console for just one game

TomShoe

Banned
I thought the Order would score a but better than it did (I expected mid 70s meta). As is, it's not likely to move many systems. And I did use them to talk about the PS4 having a stronger first half of the year, which is true; however, I've also always said that exclusives don't really matter as much as we'd think. Outside of the big ones like Halo and GT, mutliplats are what sell the most systems. Games like CoD more 360s than any exclusive, this Gen the PS4 has been positioned as the console to have for mutliplats and that's why it continues to do so well, even though it's more expensive.

MS problems can be fixed by being cheaper but only so much. Their image problem is a lot worse and a lot harder to fiX. Last gen the 360 was the cool console, the one all your friends have. This Gen the X1 hasn't been able to replicate and in fact it's seen as the opposite to a certain degree.

That's why I think that the best thing MS could do is a relaunch. Slim model, new low price with Halo 5 and a brand new marketing campaign. In NA, that may be enough to turn the tide.

My own view of the X1 is that it's a solid console. While I'm disappointed by the 9 month dry spell, it still has a good library of games and I don't regret buying it at all (the white model just looks so good). SO alone is worth the console but obviously most people don't buy a console for just one game

>Exclusive marketing deals are the new exclusives

Dear lord what have we come to

For the same reason MS is doing it, increasing market-share. Plus the only way Sony can fight MS this fall is price/value.
That is stupid. Profit margin are more important than market share. MS are price dropping because they have to. Sony does not have to drop the price until the PS4 sales start slowing down, or when the profit margins are too large to do it. People who are talking about price cut for the PS4 don't seem to understand economics, price elasticity, market demands, and the value of said product.

ZhugeEX

Banned
In case you guys haven't realised by now.... I love graphs.

Shows PS2 Vs PS3 Vs PS4 first 18 months sales in the USA. Bear in mind the PS2 had no real competition where as the PS4 has seen strong competition from the Xbox One with almost on par sales.

NPD%20PS2%20PS3%20PS4_zps68dxokx4.jpg

Forza 3 is most likely the best selling one. It had 6 million players on the leaderboards about 2 years ago. Forza 4 had around 5 million on the leaderboards during the same time.

Shows PS2 Vs PS3 Vs PS4 first 18 months sales in the USA. Bear in mind the PS2 had no real competition where as the PS4 has seen strong competition from the Xbox One with almost on par sales.

I think it's reasonably possible that, if this graph is revised at end of this year to account for new PS4 sales, it will show PS4 is close to equal or even better than PS2. Doesn't mean it'll sustain it for long. Uncharted 4 being delayed could factor in though. I would have really been interested to see if it had any impact on console sales during Holiday 2015. As a result, E3 will be really interesting, as I don't think Sony will want to miss out on a major Holiday game release, even if it is not from one of their worldwide studios. Some people have speculated a timed Fallout 4 exclusive. Is Fallout that big of a brand to warrant exclusivity? I loved FO3, but is the IP a needle mover for the general public?

Javin98

Banned

Damn, PS2 was a beast indeed

Juanfp

I think it's reasonably possible that, if this graph is revised at end of this year to account for new PS4 sales, it will show PS4 is close to equal or even better than PS2. Doesn't mean it'll sustain it for long. Uncharted 4 being delayed could factor in though. I would have really been interested to see if it had any impact on console sales during Holiday 2015. As a result, E3 will be really interesting, as I don't think Sony will want to miss out on a major Holiday game release, even if it is not from one of their worldwide studios. Some people have speculated a timed Fallout 4 exclusive. Is Fallout that big of a brand to warrant exclusivity? I loved FO3, but is the IP a needle mover for the general public?

I dont think that Bethesda will make Fallout 4 a timed exclusive, Fallout its too big. And if that happen it will be a Tomb Raider case again.

Welfare

I think it's reasonably possible that, if this graph is revised at end of this year to account for new PS4 sales, it will show PS4 is close to equal or even better than PS2.

Not likely. From where Zhuge's graph ends to the end of 2002, the PS2 adds another >7 million units.

PS4 isn't hitting that unless it drops to $249 in either April or May

Top Bottom