• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for February 2015 [Nintendo Numbers, Majora's, MH4, ~XB1]

ascii42

Yup.

As are the PS2 numbers. It was outselling both the Xbox 360 and PS3 in Feb 2008.

8 years after release and the PS2 was outselling "New" next generation consoles that had been out for over 2 years.
Yeah, Guitar Hero + Rock Band + cheap price did wonders for the thing.

I believe Feb 2008 was the last month it outsold either.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
The 360 and Ps3 are basically irrelevant outside of Ps3 legacy software sales in Japan. Tomb Raider releasing on 360 means about as much as Titanfall, Destiny, and Forza Horizon 2 releasing on 360. It will mean more for list wars than sales.

Halo 5 will sell 3+ million in November even if it sucks. It doesn't suck (played it at Pax east after an hour wait) so Ms doesn't have to worry about that.

Titanfall sold about 500K on 360, 1M+ on XB1 in US. I wouldn't call it insignificant, but isn't the lead platform.

N.Domixis

Banned
That sounds way too high. Would be very surprised by that. I'm honestly thinking that the gap won't get any bigger than it was last year.

The PS4 almost doubled the sales of the Xbox One last year in January; Sold 130K more than the Xbox One that month. That is more than the gap the PS4 had over the Xbox One in January and February of this year combined.

\.

The doubling only happened once or twice though and the gap they started the year with was only like 100k they stated this year with 500k. The gap will certainly be at-least the same as last time, if halo launches and the gap is still around 600K than I dont think it will ever be erased.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
I don't know if I'd read into the Majoras Masks sales being an indicator of Zelda still being strong. A lot of people like me just bought it to have something to play on their new toy. I've barely touched it and passed on the OoT remake originally and would have passed on this if it was just a regular 3DS game.

But it is a regular 3DS game... o_O? (aka it's not exclusive to new 3DS or anything). Or are you just saying b/c it launched alongside the new 3DS?

No need MGS:V bundle will definitely move units, especially in Japan. this is because it's going to be exclusive to PS4 in japan. That game screams system seller.
The Order:1886 got a couple of people to bite at the 59.99 price point. There is no shame in that. I know I definitely regret my Dying Light purchase (digital) *shutters*. I'm waiting for the price to fall a bit before grabbing my copy.
Sales are going to jump for PS4 anyway during this summer. Most fighting game tournements are moving to next Gen consoles. At least with EVO and USF4 PS4 was chosen as the defacto platform.

It's on PS3 in Japan. No Japanese game has sold more on PS4 over PS3 yet.

Such a strange month for the Vita.

Vita and TV sold more than Vita did in Nov.

Can't remember Dec numbers for Vita, but I imagine they sold right on par with Vita in Dec.

That's the thing with dead platforms. Even modest increases are huge jolts of life.

PSTV was sold for $50 at certain retailers (Amazon I think). It's pretty much clearance numbers.

Kirby and the Rainbow Curse sold 52,000 in 9 days, right? Let's see how it compares with the latest main episode, Kirby Triple Deluxe

Kirby: Triple Deluxe in April (2 days) - 41,000
Kirby: Triple Deluxe in May (28 days) - 97,000
Kirby and the Rainbow Curse (9 days) 52,000

To be honest, considering it's not a main release (compared to the kinds of Triple Deluxe, I mean), I'd say it did decent. Not good or great, but not even bad or awful...just decent. I wondering how much it could sell in the long run, given the budget price, despite not expecting anything great in that sense (and the fact it hasn't been released in December like Toad...oh, right, I'd love an update on Toad sales too!).

I was kind of wondering about that with Kirby

. I figure Toad sold less than last month's 30K. Maybe 10-15?

Not sure why people expect Sony to drop their price to 300$ this year. It would have been smarter to drop the price to 350$ in Novemeber last year and to 300$ at the end of this year if they wanted to drop the price to 300$ by the end of 2015.

ZhugeEX

Banned
Not sure why people expect Sony to drop their price to 300$ this year. It would have been smarter to drop the price to 350$ in Novemeber last year and to 300$ at the end of this year if they wanted to drop the price to 300$ by the end of 2015.

Because Microsoft have dropped the price from $499 to around $300 to $350 with the likelihood being that it'll be under $300 before the year ends.

So that's why people think Sony will do it as well.

Yup.

As are the PS2 numbers. It was outselling both the Xbox 360 and PS3 in Feb 2008.

8 years after release and the PS2 was outselling "New" next generation consoles that had been out for over 2 years.

To be fair X360 pretty much replicated the long life of PS2 (pushing similar numbers in february 2013 as PS2 did in 2008). Had MS been more aggressive with the pricing of X360 after Xbone launch (seriously it's still $249?) I have a feeling it could have even outlasted PS2. Damn last gen was long.

2thepoint

Because Microsoft have dropped the price from $499 to around $300 to $350 with the likelihood being that it'll be under $300 before the year ends.

So that's why people think Sony will do it as well.

What I don't understand is why Sony would consider a price cut when their console is doing massive numbers already and making profits - the only logical conclusion would be to eat less profit, increase marketshare even further and snare lots of consumers into their services ecosystem of PS Plus/PSN/PS Now and so on.

$299 and I'm sure that their sales would go supernova, ensuring lots of paying PS Plus members and gigantic long-term profits.

Hah!

I don't know. They increased their lead by around 100k in Feb alone. That's against a cheaper XboxOne. If they drop to $299 this year I'd expect a 2 million unit lead to be the minimum by the holiday season. Last year they made a 1.3(ish) million unit lead with much closer months than this past month.

Well they do have a huge games advantage this spring(The Order + Bloodborne), and you have to couple that with the fact that the Gamestop trade in deal drove up the sales a lot this month too.

Once X1's lineup starts this year with Fable-Battletoads*-Forza6-TombRaider-GearsColection*-Halo5, I think you will see sales that are a lot more even....but the true wildcard will be the pricecuts (or lack thereof) I guess....

*(rumored of coarse:)

What I don't understand is why Sony would consider a price cut when their console is doing massive numbers already and making profits - the only logical conclusion would be to eat less profit, increase marketshare even further and snare lots of consumers into their services ecosystem of PS Plus/PSN/PS Now and so on.

$299 and I'm sure that their sales would go supernova, ensuring lots of paying PS Plus members and gigantic long-term profits.

Yeah, I could see that...
But I am still not sure they will do it this year...

But I could see something like a second PS4 SKU with 1TB taking the place of the 500GB SKU for $400, and the 500GB SKU being moved down to $350.

crinale

To ensure that Sony must have those console to sell like supernova, but I don't think they have loads of unsold PS4s at their warehouse.
If they lower the price and triggers stock issues then they'll lose profit and still don't get market share in return, so price cut should be planned very carefully.

Welfare

It wasn't.

It was some sort of mutant console from another dimension inhabited by horrible motion controlled creatures.

The same dimension where this is a normal controller?

N64-controller-white.jpg

Bgamer90

Banned
The doubling only happened once or twice though and the gap they started the year with was only like 100k they stated this year with 500k. The gap will certainly be at-least the same as last time,

Don't see how anyone could say "certainly". Still too early to say since we don't know what's planned. It's definitely possible for it to reach that point again though.

Before last week I felt that August to December were "toss up" months. I still feel that way but I feel that way even more now with Uncharted 4's delay. If Xbox One takes that whole period then the PS4 will need to outsell the Xbox One by an average of around 83K per month from March to July and I don't see that happening since some of those months are usually a bit low in terms of console sales.

if halo launches and the gap is still around 600K than I dont think it will ever be erased.

Simply depends on what MS does after Halo launches (as well as when the game launches).

A lot of people don't think the Wii itself is normal :p

It wasn't (haha). Its sales before 2011 were insane.

Chobel

Alright!! Your on!
But just remember, limited deals don't count.

OK then. I'm assuming this is a gentleman's bet, but if you want we can change it to an avatar bet.

Also, interesting about SSO numbers.

I wonder if it would have sold about the same as TO 1886 for it's first month if it would have had the same amount of days tracking....I wouldn't be surprised if thier LTDs end up very similar.

SO had 5 days of tracking, The Order had 9 days. But software sales are usually front-loaded so I don't think an extra few days would have changed the first month sales of SO by that much.
LTD is another thing though: The order seems to have no legs, SO is critically praised plus it have MP, so depending on its legs it could have eventually similar LTD of the Order or maybe even surpass it.

"Exceed"

Sometimes you need to read my posts like you would a Microsoft PR statement. I think the gap will be over 1 million at that point. Not exactly 1 million.
You.

I like you.

You can stay.
That sounds way too high. Would be very surprised by that. I'm honestly thinking that the gap won't get any bigger than it was last year.

The PS4 almost doubled the sales of the Xbox One last year in January; Sold 130K more than the Xbox One that month. That is more than the gap the PS4 had over the Xbox One in January and February of this year combined.
They already got a lead of 650k units, and sales that have been averaging over to a lot over so far this year. With the chance of a price cut to spur it further. A 1.6 million unit lead without a price cut, and over a 2 million unit lead with one.
Well they do have a huge games advantage this spring(The Order + Bloodborne), and you have to couple that with the fact that the Gamestop trade in deal drove up the sales a lot this month too.

Once X1's lineup starts this year with Fable-Battletoads*-Forza6-TombRaider-GearsColection*-Halo5, I think you will see sales that are a lot more even....but the true wildcard will be the pricecuts (or lack thereof) I guess....

We'll see.

I could be totally wrong. I have been many many times over the years.

geordiemp

Because what is more, 50 $ now or 500 $ or next 5 years (or whatever number you want to use from our assess) having a user in that ecosystem.

Both Sony and MS will know how much an average, high low and median new user is worth having on their system per year and over 5. I bet its allot more than a few hundred bucks.

As such, the only reason Sony price is held is they want that money now.

Or they are putting the money on something else (Morpheus development ?) who knows...?

Kirby and the Rainbow Curse sold 52,000 in 9 days, right? Let's see how it compares with the latest main episode, Kirby Triple Deluxe

Kirby: Triple Deluxe in April (2 days) - 41,000
Kirby: Triple Deluxe in May (28 days) - 97,000
Kirby and the Rainbow Curse (9 days) 52,000

To be honest, considering it's not a main release (compared to the kinds of Triple Deluxe, I mean), I'd say it did decent. Not good or great, but not even bad or awful...just decent. I wondering how much it could sell in the long run, given the budget price, despite not expecting anything great in that sense (and the fact it hasn't been released in December like Toad...oh, right, I'd love an update on Toad sales too!).

Except TD did 700k+ in Japan while RC is at 70k.

You're looking at an total sales < 200k for RC. I wouldn't call that decent.

Majmun

$50 cheaper than the competition and still selling worse in your main territory.

I wonder what MS' next move will be,,,

DC1

A lot of people don't think the Wii itself is normal :p

It wasn't. Grandmothers across the world still have unopened boxes containing the Wii console. My mother-in-law uses her unopened Wii box (console inside) as a plant pedestal.

Fact.

Uncharted 1 and The Order have more similarities than not. Uncharted WAS criticized for many gameplay mechanics, but was enjoyed and received decent reviews nonetheless because it was a completely different time in gaming history. Linear SP experiences were still in fashion and MP was not a requirement of every game.

The Order also has the components to make for a good gameplay experience too, which is why many people hope they get another chance to expand on the universe.

Let's pretend for a second that this premise is true; that The Order is a good game just like Uncharted was, but reviewers have now changed their scale and it has suffered because of it (which frankly I don't believe is true even for the second I'm humouring you for).

This makes a sequel to The Order even less likely to happen, not more.

Let's pretend for a second that this premise is true; that The Order is a good game just like Uncharted was, but reviewers have now changed their scale and it has suffered because of it (which frankly I don't believe is true even for the second I'm humouring you for).

This makes a sequel to The Order even less likely to happen, not more.

I think it will get a sequel. It has too much potential just abandon.

Chobel

The Order sequel will have to change the formula a lot, and I mean a lot, RaD may as well abandon this game and create a new IP.

Conduit

Banned
Agree, but Halo 5 has way more appeal than Halo MCC and Rise of Tomb Raider the same against Sunset Overdrive.

Same for Rise Of The Tomb Raider. Lara Croft is not so popular in US like in Europe. But Xbone in Europe outside UK is....well. You how it is.

I think it will get a sequel. It has too much potential just abandon.

Whats the dollars and cents cost of "potential"?
Because we can guess what the dollars and cents cost of a five year development cycle and huge marketing push was, and that its likely never going to get close to that value in sales, and hasn't exactly been garnished with critical acclaim to add to the value of the Playstation brand.

EDIT:
I mean, I know exactly why fans of The Order are attempting to draw parallels between it and Uncharted, but I think the truth is the parallels between it and Heavenly Sword are a lot more apt.

Links_fantasy

Good to see Zelda Majoras Mask number one, I'm currently hooked on it. I tried to play it on N64 but this version seems much easier to get into. One of the few Zeldas I have yet to beat and I'm loving it's quirky universe.

Lemondish

I read that as "wait until the pre-season is over". I'm not sure why...

I mean, I know exactly why fans of The Order are attempting to draw parallels between it and Uncharted, but I think the truth is the parallels between it and Heavenly Sword are a lot more apt.

That's fair, I would have liked a sequel to that one too. It's good to see Ninja Theory now doing something similar.

Top Bottom