• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for February 2015 [Nintendo Numbers, Majora's, MH4, ~XB1]

NPD%207amp_zpssv4p2v65.jpg

Cumulative install base of PS4/One: 13.84m
Cumulative install base of PS3/360: 8.82m

The person who said Sony didn't take advantage of their situation needs to see this. Sony pretty much turned the brand around in the US from last gen.

Javin98

Banned
I'm thinking to open a website called ZhugeChartz. it'll be just like VG Chartz.... but accurate.

:p

But in all seriousness. If there is any graph you want me to make just ask.
A graph of how many zombies are killed a day in video games would be nice XD

In case you guys haven't realised by now.... I love graphs.

Shows PS2 Vs PS3 Vs PS4 first 18 months sales in the USA. Bear in mind the PS2 had no real competition where as the PS4 has seen strong competition from the Xbox One with almost on par sales.

NPD%20PS2%20PS3%20PS4_zps68dxokx4.jpg

Is there any chance you could do an area graph covering the years from Gen6 -> Gen8? Would be interested to see how total console sales have changed over the years (so 2013 would be Gen7 + Gen8 sales for instance).

Halo Anniversary is the only other remake of Halo we have for comparison. Released on a mature Halo supported platform, and it sold somewhere < 700K in November from the NPD thread that month. Halo 2, 3, 4, and Reach sold ~3m at launch, in comparison. The fanbase, even when they already own the system, doesn't seem particularly interested in remakes. MCC is a remake, so it very much stands to reason that there are still a lot of Halo aficionados that wouldn't have been particularly tempted by its release on XB1 last Fall.

So you are using low sales of MCC to somehow prove Halo 5 will sell more? Not very clever.

It's not a proper comparison. QD tech is completely different from RAD's, so we can't really compare price. Also, Paris is a much more expensive city and RAD outsourced a lot of their work. It may as well be $60M, but not based on comparisons with Heavy Rain.
QD outsources pretty much all of the asset work (more than RAD did) and are generally considered to have a pretty cost optimized pipeline. Salaries shouldnt be that much different and I read in some recent report they are pretty similar here. Tech is different sure, but Im just saying there is no way the total budget with marketing is less than $50M. Thats just not possible, just based on what we know marketing costs these days.

Kill3r7

So you are using low sales of MCC to somehow prove Halo 5 will sell more? Not very clever.

All Donny is saying is that the majority of Halo fans don't turn up for remakes, based on Halo Anniversary's performance on the 360 vs Halo 4. Ergo, Halo 5 will be a better representation of the franchise's performance than MCC. I agree with him.

ZhugeEX

Banned
A graph of how many zombies are killed a day in video games would be nice XD

Only Microsoft is capable of releasing stats like that :p

Brilliant haha!

Is there any chance you could do an area graph covering the years from Gen6 -> Gen8? Would be interested to see how total console sales have changed over the years (so 2013 would be Gen7 + Gen8 sales for instance).

Not quite sure what you mean by this. Can you be more specific? Do you want each gen split, or total console sales for each year regardless of generation?

Do you mean something like this? (Please note the below includes my estimates for 2015-2018.

ARENA%20E_zpsmnwfi4vb.jpg

Here is that same graph but with launch years aligned. So 2000 for Gen 6, 2005 for Gen 7 and 2012 for Gen 8. 12 years of sales shown. (Ignore the title)

AREA%20ALIGNED_zpsvbncjky6.jpg

Here is a line graph I made recently which aligns launches for each gen and covers the first 7 calender years of sales-

C_zpsmsbxg5z0.jpg

Seems more like a symptom of the Wii U dragging everything else down.

Like the DC dragged down Gen 6?

Gen 8 is slowed because the market leader is selling like a previous gen runner-up console in sustained sales, and obscuring that by (so far) hitting higher peaks at its various milestones (launch, holidays). The late adopter market that previous generations saw (where PS2 was still selling strongly after the launch of the 360) has also completely vanished.

Perhaps. People who didn't see this coming were blind, though. It was clear the Wii was an outrageous anomaly.

Those two statements aren't causally linked in the way you have ordered them though.

The reason the Wii sold what it did was because Iwata saw this coming and attempted to expand the overall market as a result, and both Sony and MS benefitted from that expansion too - when the tide rises so do all of the boats.

Purest 78

All Donny is sayings that the majority of Halo fans don't turn up for remakes, based on Halo Anniversary's performance on the 360 vs Halo 4. Ergo, Halo 5 will be a better representation of the franchise's performance than MCC. I agree with him.

The promise of 1080p 60fps For all main line Halo games, For the 1st time ever being on dedicated servers. Obviously the promise wasn't fully fulfilled. I still find it hard to believe halo fans would pass on that.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Those two statements aren't causally linked in the way you have ordered them though.

The reason the Wii sold what it did was because Iwata saw this coming and attempted to expand the overall market as a result, and both Sony and MS benefitted from that expansion too - when the tide rises so do all of the boats.

I wasn't casually linking them. The Wii was the best thing to happen to the gaming industry in more than a decade. It also has a criminally underrated gaming library that was largely ignored by "lulz no HD grafx!!" gamers, sadly, but I digress.

Kill3r7

The promise of 1080p 60fps For all main line Halo games, For the 1st time ever being on dedicated servers. Obviously the promise wasn't fully fulfilled. I still find it hard to believe halo fans would pass on that.

Do you think a Uncharted remastered edition would garner the same interest as Uncharted 4? With Halo 5 coming out this fall we won't have to wait long to find out. I think remasters only garner attention from the most hardcore fans. GTA being the exception.

Just to expand on this graph. I've added X360 and PS3 comparison. Launches aligned.

The PS4 and Xbox One are doing much better (individually and combined) than the PS3 and Xbox 360. However do keep in mind that the Wii and PS2 were also doing very well when the PS3 and 360 came out where as the Wii U, PS3 and 360 are not doing very well at the moment with PS4 and XOne leading.

NPD%207amp_zpssv4p2v65.jpg

Cumulative install base of PS4/One: 13.84m
Cumulative install base of PS3/360: 8.82m

This is great. Consoles as a whole are doing well.

gtj1092

I wasn't casually linking them. The Wii was the best thing to happen to the gaming industry in more than a decade. It also has a criminally underrated gaming library that was largely ignored by "lulz no HD grafx!!" gamers, sadly, but I digress.

So bitter. So Wii was the best thing in decade since it had a been a decade since Nintendo was on top? That's what this reads like to me. I'm sure you will say something something lapsed gamers expanded market but in the decade prior the PS brand also expanded the market.

I wasn't casually linking them.

Ah okay, I took your statement to mean "People should have seen this coming because the wii was an anomaly", rather than "the Wii was an anomaly because it tried to stop this coming"

EDIT:
So bitter. So Wii was the best thing in decade since it had a been a decade since Nintendo was on top? That's what this reads like to me. I'm sure you will say something something lapsed gamers expanded market but in the decade prior the PS brand also expanded the market.

So its good when Sony expands the market, but bad when Nintendo does? What?

Purest 78

Do you think a Uncharted remastered edition would garner the same interest as Uncharted 4? With Halo 5 coming out this fall we won't have to wait long to find out. I think remasters only garner attention from the most hardcore fans. GTA being the exception.

I think All halo games at 1080p 60fps with dedicated servers on one disc, is a much bigger draw than a UC collection.

In case you guys haven't realised by now.... I love graphs.

Shows PS2 Vs PS3 Vs PS4 first 18 months sales in the USA. Bear in mind the PS2 had no real competition where as the PS4 has seen strong competition from the Xbox One with almost on par sales.

this really puts in perspective how well the PS4 is doing, if Microsoft launched there first xbox console this year, like they did in the ps2 era, ps4 would probably be beating ps2 numbers easily, now xbox has become a huge brand here in the US.

LOL at the part about the wii being the best thing to happen to gaming, motion controls are dead, and good riddance. the idea of having the same hardware power after 5 years in your next console is laughable, i could see if you said N64, but the wii, it was a fad, waiting to expire, nobody wants motion controls anymore in there console games, and nobody want extremely out dated hardware.

Rymuth

I'm thinking to open a website called ZhugeChartz. it'll be just like VG Chartz.... but accurate.

Did you do all three Xboxes like what you did with the PS 2/3/4? Id love to see it.

How long did it take for the PS2 to get its first price drop?
20 months.

Launch:
October 2000 ($299)
Price Cut: May 2002 ($199)

LOL at the part about the wii being the best thing to happen to gaming, motion controls are dead, and good riddance. the idea of having the same hardware power after 5 years in your next console is laughable, i could see if you said N64, but the wii, it was a fad, waiting to expire, nobody wants motion controls anymore in there console games, and nobody want extremely out dated hardware.
You have motion controls in every device nowadays, it doesn't have to be the Wiimote. Wii & NDS (even PSP) expanded the audience just like the PS2, now we have mobiles & tablets to expand the audience even further, that's why you see a shift of gaming revenue.

Your post is just a standard "I don't want to hear anything good about Nintendo" post like always.

this would be kinda hard, can you combine PS2/GC/XB vs WIIU/PS4/XB1 same time frame.

Curufinwe

Gen 8 is slowed because the market leader is selling like a previous gen runner-up console in sustained sales, and obscuring that by (so far) hitting higher peaks at its various milestones (launch, holidays).

Sales are sales. This "sustained" qualifier is one of the more ludicrous attempts to downplay the PS4's extremely strong sales numbers that I have seen.

Sales are sales. This "sustained" qualifier is one of the more ludicrous attempts to downplay the PS4's extremely strong sales numbers that I have seen.

Why?

Products with mass appeal sell strongly all year round, because the populace at large have disposable income 'bumps' all year round - birthdays, bonuses, tax rebates, whatever. Holidays are a convergence point for everyone to get a 'free stuff' expenditure bump.

Products losing mass appeal see big bumps only at the holidays as they are things people are gifted, not things that people go out and buy for themselves.

VS450JF.gif

The red line here is doing better than the blue line.

20 months.

Launch:
October 2000 ($299)
Price Cut: May 2002 ($199)

You have motion controls in every device nowadays, it doesn't have to be the Wiimote. Wii & NDS expanded the audience just like the PS2, now we have mobiles & tablets to expand the audience even further, that's why you see a shift of gaming revenue.

Your post is just a standard "I don't want to hear anything good about Nintendo" post like always.

ok just because it adds revenue, doesn't it means it's the best thing to happen to gaming, the best thing to happen to gaming would something like first 3d console, something like mario 64 and the n64 analog stick, or dual analog in the ps1, stuff that's being used in most games till this day.

Brilliant haha!

Not quite sure what you mean by this. Can you be more specific? Do you want each gen split, or total console sales for each year regardless of generation?

Do you mean something like this? (Please note the below includes my estimates for 2015-2018.

Here is that same graph but with launch years aligned. So 2000 for Gen 6, 2005 for Gen 7 and 2012 for Gen 8. 12 years of sales shown. (Ignore the title)

Here is a line graph I made recently which aligns launches for each gen and covers the first 7 calender years of sales-

C_zpsmsbxg5z0.jpg

This is the perfect response to those snarky, sarcastic 'bububu I thought consoles were dead!' posts.

GobFather

Why?

Products with mass appeal sell strongly all year round, because the populace at large have disposable income 'bumps' all year round - birthdays, bonuses, tax rebates, whatever. Holidays are a convergence point for everyone to get a 'free stuff' expenditure bump.

Products losing mass appeal see big bumps only at the holidays as they are things people are gifted, not things that people go out and buy for themselves.

VS450JF.gif

The red line here is doing better than the blue line.

Oh this is a good example.

Brilliant haha!

C_zpsmsbxg5z0.jpg
It's impressive how close to gen 7 gen 8 is with the the Wii U not pulling Wii numbers. Could you do one that doesn't include Wii and Wii U? I'm curious.
EDIT: To be specific I'm talking about the line chart.
This is the perfect response to those snarky, sarcastic 'bububu I thought consoles were dead!' posts.
All ot says is that the Wii demographic has left consoles, but consoles are still going strong. I also don't agree with the Gen 8 estimate line never passing over the Gen 6 line, I think it will absolutely happen, even if only for a little while, especially if the PS4 or both the PS4 and Xbox One get dropped to 299 this year.

ZhugeEX

Banned
How about Playstation console family + MS family combined annual US sales since 2000?

USA:

PlayStation family has exceeded 80 million units across PS2, PS3 and PS4
Xbox Family has exceed 60 million units across Xbox, Xbox 360 and Xbox One.

Did you do all three Xboxes like what you did with the PS 2/3/4? Id love to see it.

Will do/

this would be kinda hard, can you combine PS2/GC/XB vs WIIU/PS4/XB1 same time frame.

USA or worldwide?

It's impressive how close to gen 7 gen 8 is with the the Wii U not pulling Wii numbers. Could you do one that doesn't unclude Wii and Wii U? I'm curious.
EDIT: To be specific I'm talking about the line chart.

1_zpsv4jjkvtd.jpg

Includes all 3 gens, pink line specifically excludes Wii from Gen 7. (Gen 8 includes Wii U)

ascii42

USA:

PlayStation family has exceeded 80 million units across PS2, PS3 and PS4
Xbox Family has exceed 60 million units across Xbox, Xbox 360 and Xbox One.

Will do/

USA or worldwide?

1_zpsv4jjkvtd.jpg

Includes all 3 gens, pink line specifically excludes Wii from Gen 7. (Gen 8 includes Wii U)

How much would including the PS1 change that? It probably sold a decent amount from 2000 on.

StevieP

Banned
Probably, but the PS4+Xbox One will outperform the PS3+X360, and I think that's pretty important considering that for the most part the Wii was an entirely different market.

A console is a console is a console. Again, if you want to look at the market at large and judge its health, you ignore the labels on the front of the boxes.

Brilliant haha!

C_zpsmsbxg5z0.jpg

That's really great, the first is closest. If you could make it so they're additive rather than overlapping that would be perfect. It would then show the generational transition, with the slope of the top of the graph showing the changes in the total size of the market.

Exactly. We see the same, statement from the same few nearly every NPD thread.

The 360 just recently outsold the Wii in the US. What matters is sales in the long term. The PS4's sales gradient was never going to match up to the Wii's massive boom and then big collapse. Playstation systems have never sold like that. In addition it was never going to match the PS2 in the US considering the competition compared to those days.

If your comparing gen sales then I can tell you straightaway that this gen will not have the same number of sales as last gen simply due to the collapse of Nintendo. A more interesting comparison to perhaps show how the core market is faring it PS360 vs XB1+PS4 or XB1+ PS4.

A console is a console is a console. Again, if you want to look at the market at large and judge its health, you ignore the labels on the front of the boxes.
The condole market as a whole has shrunk, yes, but it is absolutely important to make the distinction that the Wii was a market all its own.

Exactly. We see the same, statement from the same few nearly every NPD thread.

The 360 just recently outsold the Wii in the US. What matters is sales in the long term. The PS4's sales gradient was never going to match up to the Wii's massive boom and then big collapse. Playstation systems have never sold like that. In addition it was never going to match the PS2 in the US considering the competition compared to those days.

If your comparing gen sales then I can tell you straightaway that this gen will not have the same number of sales as last gen simply due to the collapse of Nintendo. A more interesting comparison to perhaps show how the core market is faring it PS360 vs XB1+PS4 or XB1+ PS4.

Even then I expect the market to slow down. PS4 will continue upwards trajectory (at slower pace of PS2) and I believe Xbox will begin losing mass momentum within 16 months. There will be a huge market contractation compared to any previous generation.

Gen 8 is slowed because the market leader is selling like a previous gen runner-up console in sustained sales, and obscuring that by (so far) hitting higher peaks at its various milestones (launch, holidays). The late adopter market that previous generations saw (where PS2 was still selling strongly after the launch of the 360) has also completely vanished.

Or you could say the improved availability during peak months is distorting the rest of the year. Previous gens may have hit higher peaks at the holidays if the supply chain had let them.

Not to target audience and gaming companies. Acti EA etcc still sell the same amount of software. The loss of the grandma and a lot of casual demographic had zero effect on their bottom line, and that´s the most important thing to the markets. The market is pretty healthy right now and software companies are making a lot of profits. The majority of the Wii audience means nothing to these publishers and developers. The only big thing lost to Ubisoft was let´s dance games. EA, Activision, WB and the majority are un-impacted by the loss of the wii audience.

ZhugeEX

Banned
Is there anyway you can do it excluding the Wii U, for fairness?

See second green line at the top. This is PS4/X1 only from 2013-2014. This ignores Wii U in 2012 entirely.

second%20green_zpsnmdtpsml.jpg

XBOX%20FAMILY_zpspbbxfe1a.jpg

X1 tracking is 16 months, Xbox 360 and Xbox tracking is 18 months from launch.

How much would including the PS1 change that? It probably sold a decent amount from 2000 on.

It wouldn't. Gen 5 isn't on that graph. Remember it's showing each gen individually.

Halo fan here. I passed on it. I want new experiences with an unsplintered multiplayer base.

Top Bottom