• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for March 2010

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
So... Anyone think FFXIII's gonna have lower sales than FFXII and FFX-2 worldwide? Say 4.5m-5.0m?

boiled goose

good with gravy
wow at wii sales back on top :0
Compared to the continuous barrage of quality titles on the other systems, wii has gotten nothing in the last months... it seems it will hold up till the nintendo power houses start dropping next month.

DS is just crazy. crazy. 700k is just ridiculous. Pokemon still untouchable.

PS3 big games do well. WTF at people saying GoW sales are disappointing??

PSP dead.

360 chugging along.

:lol at people expecting >100k for Red Steel 2. No one fucking cared the game came out.

Everything about the DS confuses me.

What's the split between the Lite and the DSi? Are they even still selling the Lite? Are people choosing to pay $30 more for the DSi en masse? Will the Lite ever drop to $99 and become destroyer of worlds? And why the 3DS? Sure, you want to still have mindshare for the "DS" brand, but releasing it when the DS is doing 700k looks like cutting the legs off a viable product.

Grooski

Banned
Gotta wonder about FFXIII figures though.
Real discussion please.

Would MS be happy with the figures?

Square would be, they took cash no matter what system it came out on. But MS would have had a heavy investment in the title. US advertising heavily favoured the 360, exclusive bundles and faceplates for the 360 and a 10 million install base advantage. Even Greenberg said that MS expected the 360 version to outsell the PS3 version.

Did the 360 merely canabalise the expected sales of the PS3 version? What does this mean for future versions like XIV and Versus?

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Although not possible: it will be funny if Versus XIII outsold XIII (PS360 combined) due to crazy legs and better quality. :p

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Truespeed said:
Great numbers for God of War 3. 1.1 million copies for a game released on March 16th. Just imagine what it could have done with those additional 15 days.
Probably about 1.2. Don't think the extra 2 weeks would have made any real difference. Since these games tend to be incredibly front loaded.

Freezie KO said:

What's the split between the Lite and the DSi? Are they even still selling the Lite? Are people choosing to pay $30 more for the DSi en masse? Will the Lite ever drop to $99 and become destroyer of worlds? And why the 3DS? Sure, you want to still have mindshare for the "DS" brand, but releasing it when the DS is doing 700k looks like cutting the legs off a viable product.

No one knows the exact split.
Yes they are still selling the Lite.
En masses? No, but it's selling decently.
It'll drop to $99 sometime next year.
3DS because GameBoy Advanced.
And they're releasing the 3DS now while the iron is hot for a new handheld, instead of when the brand is dead.

FrankT

Kagari said:
Doubt that. Only 100K in UK, probably much much less in other European countries, so I don't think all of those add up to 500K combined. FFXII only did around 1 million in Europe on PS2. Considering the split for the entirety of that continent is probably closer to 75/25 for XIII in favor of PS3, yeah... not likely.

No I don't doubt that at all considering it is at 600k in the US and UK first month. That doesn't include the rest of NA and all of Europe for March and the remainder of April WW. Almost without question it's a hit a million.

bc226 said:
For Every PS3 shortage there is a Wii longage.

You aint't kidding.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Freezie KO said:

What's the split between the Lite and the DSi?
After August 2009 and before March 2010, estimated at about 50/50. This is based on $150 ASP for Nintendo DS hardware in two separate months.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Jtyettis said:
No I don't doubt that at all considering it is at 600k in the US and UK first month. That doesn't include the rest of NA and all of Europe for March and the remainder of April WW. Almost without question it's a hit a million.

Except the game probably won't even chart in April over all. Sales have pretty much hit a wall. The rest of NA probably isn't as much as you're thinking, same with Europe considering, like I said before, the PS3 is much more dominate in those areas.

AceBandage said:
No one knows the exact split.
Yes they are still selling the Lite.
En masses? No, but it's selling decently.
It'll drop to $99 sometime next year.
3DS because GameBoy Advanced.
And they're releasing the 3DS now while the iron is hot for a new handheld, instead of when the brand is dead.

I must say I'm surprised if the DSi is beating out the Lite. Not much has been done with exclusive content, and, at $30 more, I'd really think price would be an issue. DS is my favorite system, but I think the handheld probably skews young, where price becomes more of a factor than downloadable distribution.

As for 3DS, sure, GBA was selling well when the DS was released, but would the DS have been released if the PSP wasn't on the horizon? Without PSP, GBA could've kept going as well. And I understand what you're saying about striking while the iron is hot, but the iron is really really hot. At least wait until sales slow to 400k or something, while still beating out the rest of the consoles.

ULTROS!

Kagari said:
Lower than at least FFXII, probably.

So... Does this possibly make it the lowest FF selling post FFVI not including remakes?

jvm said:
After August 2009 and before March 2010, estimated at about 50/50. This is based on $150 ASP for Nintendo DS hardware in two separate months.

Very interesting. Surprising to me. I'd think the $30 would be a bigger difference in the handheld market. I guess I'm wrong. I wonder what this means for 3DS pricing.

Freezie KO said:
I must say I'm surprised if the DSi is beating out the Lite. Not much has been done with exclusive content, and, at $30 more, I'd really think price would be an issue. DS is my favorite system, but I think the handheld probably skews young, where price becomes more of a factor than downloadable distribution.

As for 3DS, sure, GBA was selling well when the DS was released, but would the DS have been released if the PSP wasn't on the horizon? Without PSP, GBA could've kept going as well. And I understand what you're saying about striking while the iron is hot, but the iron is really really hot. At least wait until sales slow to 400k or something, while still beating out the rest of the consoles.

Well, the problem is, even if hardware is still selling like it's pure gold, the software has taken a pretty big dive, content wise.
There's basically nothing on the horizon in terms of big releases from anyone.
It's time for a new handheld and new ideas.

enishi

Sorry that I didnt follow NPD much, esp hardware LTD

But after some search (on Google and gaf), does NDS LTD surpass PS2 in US yet? The only figure I can find was NDS LTD ~45m in Dec 2009. Otherwise, some inconsistent numbers in banned sites......

Could anyone help? Thank you~~

AceBandage said:
Well, the problem is, even if hardware is still selling like it's pure gold, the software has taken a pretty big dive, content wise.

Good point. Hopefully we get more new ideas than old ideas in 3D.

Good sales for FFXIII, it deserves it and I doubt it has hit a wall. I see copies being bought everyday and have yet to see many on the used racks.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
ULTROS! said:
So... Does this possibly make it the lowest FF selling post FFVI not including remakes?

Over all? Most likely. Square already shipped 5 million copies to stores though, so they got their money. I don't think there will be a second shipment however.

mujun

Truespeed said:
Great numbers for God of War 3. 1.1 million copies for a game released on March 16th. Just imagine what it could have done with those additional 15 days.

Kind of makes the doubters from the February thread look rather vacuous in the membrane.

Sony Super Fan, intellectual show-off and Cypress Hill fan?

Kagari said:
Anyone got the US LTD for FFX?

Yes.

ULTROS! said:
Hope this is close

Nope.

LeoStenbuck said:
So WW, Final Fantasy XIII for PS3 would be over 3 million now?

Around 600-700k for 360?

Edging close to 3.5 million, and yes, something like that WW for the 360 version as of the end of March.

FateBreaker said:
The Xbox 360 port is not shitty.

Is the work done on converting the executable software of FFXIII to run on a 360, producing a product that runs at a lower resolution and has some minor slowdown in a couple places but otherwise is quite comparable to the PS3 version in how it runs shitty? No, not really; on that level it's solidly what I would call a mediocre port.

Is the whole package, which includes the gameplay portions but also the videos (whose problems are an order of magnitude larger than the gameplay), shitty? I'd be willing to say yes.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
elrechazao said:
You have no evidence as to what "shortage" means, beyond a smaller supply compared to what Sony wanted to exist in the retail chain. So all of the inferences you are making are based on what you personally perceive as "shortage". I've been looking for a deal on a ps3 for a month now, and I have not once seen a PS3 out of stock at walmart.com, amazon, kmart, gamestop, or locally at any retail, nor seen a single report of any supplier having no units in the way say, the wii had clear shortages. I'm waiting for evidence of customer demand outstripping supply beyond sony's actual production numbers falling short of their production goals. That metric isn't useful for assessing consumer demand, sorry. Again, simple logic.
This is quite incorrect.

I lost my launch 20gb so I went on the hunt for a deal on the Slim, found out that just trying to get MSRP was a deal.

Amazon went weeks without stock. Newegg.com, Bestbuy.com, Walmart.com, Gamestop.com
All were out, it was ridiculous. I never believed the "shortage" thing either but it took 3 weeks to finally get one. This included checking local retailers and trying to get Gamestops to hold them for me.

It was pretty easy to follow all this in the "PS3 supply problems" thread that was quite lively while you were banned.

Things seem to be ok as of a couple weeks ago, on that day almost all the major retailer sites got major stock back in, and now I see them at most stores I go to.

EDIT:

Looking at my posts in that thread, hunt started March 3rd.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=20158552&postcount=549

And this is the day everyone started getting them back in stock, March 26th, I got mine the next day.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=20471412&postcount=877

ULTROS! said:

You might want to wait for, y'know, a few months to actually go by and see whether the game sells any more copies over the next two months instead of just taking Debbie Downer's word for it.

(Historically, FF is not nearly as frontloaded in the US as it is in Japan, especially once it eventually hits Greatest Hits or its equivalent.)

Kagari said:
Would appreciate it.

I found it with about five minutes on Google. Unless there's some exception for posting leaked NPD info just because it was posted elsewhere first I'd rather not take my life in my hands.

bc226

dallow_bg said:
This is quite incorrect.

I lost my launch 20gb so I went on the hunt for a deal on the Slim, found out that just trying to get MSRP was a deal.

Amazon went weeks without stock. Newegg.com, Bestbuy.com, Walmart.com, Gamestop.com
All were out, it was ridiculous. I never believed the "shortage" thing either but it took 3 weeks to finally get one. This included checking local retailers and trying to get Gamestops to hold them for me.

It was pretty easy to follow all this in the "PS3 supply problems" thread that was quite lively while you were banned.

Things seem to be ok as of a couple weeks ago, on that day almost all the major retailer sites got major stock back in, and now I see them at most stores I go to.

EDIT: Looking at my posts in that thread, hunt started March 3rd.

And this is the day everyone started getting them back in stock, March 26th, I got mine the next day.

Interesting I found PS3s at several stores in my area in the month of February and March no problem, this being a suburb of Chicago.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Great sales for God of War III.

2ntbl1w.jpg

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
sillymonkey321 said:
Definitely expect it to sell 100k+
Well, how much advertising did it get? My complete disconnect from the world of TV and magazines means I never have any clue whats being advertised and what isn't.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
bc226 said:
Interesting I found PS3s at several stores in my area in the month of February and March no problem, this being a suburb of Chicago.
I thought it was 'just something on the internet' but I really tried hard to get one. I couldn't believe it took so long.
And hell, I live in Dallas/Fort Worth, I have plenty of places to look! And you can't deny that online outlets were out of stock for weeks. One need only look at the thread I linked to to see that. Or CAG, and Slickdeals where I also kept my feelers out.

By the time I got the Slim home, I didn't even feel like playing it. Sticking to handhelds. :)
Though I did use the Slim once so far to watch Toy Story BD.

The_Technomancer said:
Well, how much advertising did it get? My complete disconnect from the world of TV and magazines means I never have any clue whats being advertised and what isn't.

More than most third party Wii games.
Far below the average PS3/360 game.

ULTROS! said:
So... Anyone think FFXIII's gonna have lower sales than FFXII and FFX-2 worldwide? Say 4.5m-5.0m?

So far FF13 has been a good experience.....but for the sake of the name hopefully Versus does the trick

KJ_Wii

Neo Member
AceBandage said:

To be fair it could be that there's no big software on the horizon because everyone's mostly moved over to the 3DS, which is coming out in less than a year.

"No" big software is probably an exaggeration too - it'll have the next Pokemon as its swan song, at least. DQIX in the West, Golden Sun. Assuming some of these don't also get moved to the 3DS, but then you're back at point A above.

Owzers

AceBandage said:
More than most third party Wii games.
Far below the average PS3/360 game.

Red Steel 2 got plenty of advertisement. It's never enough for some games. I remember PS3 fans harping on Uncharted 2 for not having enough ads....

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
Really surprised at God of War III outselling the 360 version of Bad Company 2, especially with BC2 having the whole month to sell. Looks like MW2 isn't about to touched any time soon when it comes to shooter sales.

cakefoo

dallow_bg said:
This is quite incorrect.

EDIT:

Looking at my posts in that thread, hunt started March 3rd.

Entering my zip on Target.com right now, 7 of the 10 closest stores are oos; 1 has low stock; only 2 are well-stocked.

But shortage, shmortage ;)

Zen

Banned
Rahxephon91 said:
Good sales for FFXIII, it deserves it and I doubt it has hit a wall. I see copies being bought everyday and have yet to see many on the used racks.

*fist bump

FFXIII is fantastic.

Top Bottom