• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for March 2015 [Up1: Nintendo numbers, PS4 placing]

Hyun Sai

Any chance a sequel of The Order will stay on the heavy cinematic experience ? Do we have any comments of RoD or Sony on the matter lately ?

Wow. Bloodborne exceeded my expectations.

DS2 : <350k 25 days
BB : <390k 12 days

Thats pretty astonishing. Outselling the predecessor despite it being on multi platforms, having twice the tracking period and having a considerably larger install base.

Same as UK iirc. That could put ww totals 90%+ on PS4......yeah expect more PS4 exclusives from SE.

Isn't KH3 going to be even more skewed? Well the thing does sell 5 million so even with 5-10% of sales that should be enough to justify a XB1 port.

DS2 remaster or originals?

eot

Banned
I fully expected BF:H to outsell Bloodborne but I figured Bloodborne would eek it out as a single SKU. BF:H pulled some seriously insane numbers for NPD though. Way beyond anyone's expectations especially my own. It's just really depressing to me that what essentially amounts to a mod for a yearly release franchise outsold Bloodborne PS4. It makes me sad man. It makes me real sad.

Saying it's a mod for a yearly franchise makes it sound like it's another release on top of the yearly ones, when in fact it's the one that made BF yearly.

TheJoRu

Captain Toad is really somewhat of a sleeper hit considering the platform. Likely a pretty good investment for Nintendo; can't imagine it cost a lot for them to make. The engine was already done, a lot of assets could be reused, and in terms of level design they'd already made Captain Toad-levels before, so must've been a quick process to get things done.

Loris146

PS4 is still doing good despite the same( high) price since launch and XB1 competition. Maybe we'll see a price cut later this year.

Mikey Jr.

lol

EDIT:
Meaning, it won't get to that point.
Except for possible rare specific examples like a KH3 or something. (I really doubt KH3 or FFVX will be cancelled for xbox though. It's just what people are bringing up.)

15 will be on Xbone. Guaranteed.

But if kh collection comes to ps4 and not Xbone, I wouldn't be surprised if they cancel kh3 on Xbone.

I mean, 80/20 split on type 0 would be fucking nothing lol.

Jigolo

Xbone is cumulative down YoY by ~50k.
PS4 is cumulative down YoY by ~50k.

This gen is so....weird...

Competitor is $50 cheaper with a new bundle and it gets outsold by over 100k. (wat?) Usually bundles and cheaper prices outsell the competition.

Xbone down YoY despite being $150 cheaper than the same time last year. WTF

Competitor is $50 cheaper with a new bundle and it gets outsold by over 100k. (wat?) Usually bundles and cheaper prices outsell the competition.

The Xbox One announcement and specs are having a long lasting effect on the system.

So with a 700k gap now in Sony's favor:

-How much do you guys think the gap will be this Holiday after they throw the Batman & MGSV Bundles with Battlefront Marketing?

-How much do you think Microsoft will close gap after holiday?

You have to assume MS will be in a good spot with bundles too though...

Halo 5 Bundle
Assassin's Creed/The Division Bundle Bundle
edit: How can I forget a possibly COD bundle

Don't think Tomb Raider will get a US bundle, probably only UK/EU

.... That's incredibly underwhelming for PS4 and XB1 wow. Uggh between these numbers and my predictions on BFH I honestly couldnt have been more wrong this month. Yeesh guess I'm way more out of touch with the US market than I thought I was.
What it is telling me is that even with Bloodborne, it seems the console wasn't able to elevate to move a lot more units, which we would expect with Bloodborne releasing as a true current gen exclusive. This leads me to believe that a good amount of people that would be interested in exclusives such as Bloodborne already had a PS4, and it didn't do too much to attract new converts. (Not saying it wasn't a system seller, just not an amazing system seller which some expected)

As usual, this could be totally wrong, heh :p

Captain Toad is really somewhat of a sleeper hit considering the platform. Likely a pretty good investment for Nintendo; can't imagine it cost a lot for them to make. The engine was already done, a lot of assets could be reused, and in terms of level design they'd already made Captain Toad-levels before, so must've been a quick process to get things done.

Absolutely. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Toad model of development become a regular thing for Nintendo- bits of games carved off and puffed up to budget retail products, with heavy asset reuse and mature design practices.

If the results are as charming as Captain Toad, I wouldn't mind in the slightest.

Bgamer90

Banned

The Xbox One announcement and specs are having a long lasting effect on the system.

No new games/exclusives to really push it. Majority of people who want Halo MCC already have it. The system isn't going to do better on price alone when the PS4 has a good number of recent exclusives that are getting attention.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
allan-bh said:
I don't think so. This is not a mainline Battlefield so more than 1 million is pretty good.
Even at budget pricing?
Ultimately the only difference "mainline" makes is the marketing spend publisher is willing to risk on it, and I suspect Hardline would have gotten more budget there if they stuck to their original holiday schedule.

On Demand

Banned
How long will X1's sales be blamed on launch when clearly it wasn't a detriment during the holidays?

More parents by the systems during the holidays. Especially at the prices the XB1 was at. What you're seeing now is core gamers buying them. Who are obviously more informed.

At least that's what I think.

More parents by the systems during the holidays. Especially at the prices the XB1 was at. What you're seeing now is core gamers buying them. Who are obviously more informed.

At least that what I think.

And informed gamers are plenty informed which console now has games releasing in spring/summer. :p

Bgamer90

Banned

At least that's what I think.

Agree. The people who are simply looking for the best deal/price mainly come out during the Holiday season which makes sense considering that's when the biggest games and best deals are in stores.

I would say that the people buying consoles right now are more so core gamers who don't care about price and simply want to play the latest release(s) -- hence why it's good to have (solid) exclusives during the first half of the year.

3DSlay better pull though!

BB lower than my already conservative prediction (500k at retail). It's the biggest game on PS4 right now, with exclusive marketing push. I mean, 380k is not bad, but I expected more.

Eolz

Cheaper bundles didn't help the Gamecube, and the X1 is far from a GC situation.

[NDS] Fossil Fighters {2009.08.10} - 92,000 in 20 days
[3DS] Fossil Fighters Frontier {2015.03.20} - 35,000 (retail only) in 15 days

Surely a consistent drop from the first one, but it wasn't a huge franchise since the beginning, and it shouldn't stop selling right away, considering it's also at 29.99. Btw, what's the LTD for the first FF? Did we ever get to know that?

Codename:STEAM, instead (22 days counted) is a bomba. Nintendo didn't even promote it at launch IIRC (I mean, no TV ad), but it's a bomba. I doubt the upcoming update will help its sales at all.

Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker
December - 250,000
January - 30,000
February + March - 46,000

It's still selling, good. Wasn't it over 150,000 in Japan by January? In the case, it should be near 500,000 with US+Japan combined. I wonder if it can hit 1 million WW (at least in shipments) in the next 12 months

Bayonetta 2 was at <135,000 in December, it sold 10,000 in January (thus, < 145,000) and now it's at 157,000. This means it sold >12,000. Including first month's digital sales (10% of debut), it's at around 164,000 units sold (it's actually slightly higher, since I'm incuding just first month digital sales, but the max is 170,000 IMHO). In 6 months, it did outsell what Bayonetta 1 sold on PS3 in 18 months (150,000), and now it's going for what it sold on 360 in 18 months.

Zombi U FINALLY over 200,000 units sold in US XD It had major price cuts, so it had to do it eventually...launch period (excluding the launch week) sucked so much for Wii U...

Thanks for the long and detailed post.
Seems that we might get another Captain Toad game (handheld this time?) and Bayonetta 2 isn't doing that bad all things considered.

Critical success and sales better than on PS3 in the west might convince Nintendo to fund another sequel or even buy the IP.
Can't see any other publisher asking for that anyway...

Purest 78

Agree. The people who are simply looking for the best deal/price mainly come out during the Holiday season which makes sense considering that's when the biggest games and best deals are in stores.

I would say that the people buying consoles right now are more so core gamers who don't care about price and simply want to play the latest release(s) -- hence why it's good to have (solid) exclusives during the first half of the year.

I see you bring up exclusives alot. Can you explain to me why X1 didn't win one month when a exclusive released? If exclusives are the deciding factor as you say, wouldn't the x1 have won some of those months?

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Great result for Bloodborne!
And very good for MP10 too, considering (compared to Bloodborne) how it is selling to a lower install base and how it should be less front-loaded.
Good hold for 3DS hw-wise, sad about the new games on the other hand.
Good hold for PS3 too.
Wii U still way lower than competitors, but at least it doesn't seem dead as it seemed between 24/12 months ago.

Unless your name is Kazunori Yamauchi, Sony doesn't talk about their sequels so soon after shipping the first game.

Looking at the exclusive character Galahad in Super Time ultra force, Photo mode addition, bundles, marketing it had for launch etc., i'm sure there will be sequel for Order 1886 as RAD (talented studio with many games which sony knows) already mentioned several times that they want this into a series and they got ideas needed. Uncharted 1 from ND also was not a big game either in content and not a big hitter in sales, but UC2 did become a masterpiece with addition of multiplayer and expanding Single player content. Its all because they have engine and game world ready from first game and then they used time to expand game as UC2. I expect same from RAD here in their sequel with multiplayer and expanding single player content just like Uncharted 2.

3DSlay better pull though!

BB lower than my already conservative prediction (500k at retail). It's the biggest game on PS4 right now, with exclusive marketing push. I mean, 380k is not bad, but I expected more.

Uncharted 2. Sequel. Cinematic action/adventure shooter. Massive, massive hype behind the game. Huge marketing push. 10/10s.

580k at retail.

[NDS] Fossil Fighters {2009.08.10} - 92,000 in 20 days
[3DS] Fossil Fighters Frontier {2015.03.20} - 35,000 (retail only) in 15 days

Surely a consistent drop from the first one, but it wasn't a huge franchise since the beginning, and it shouldn't stop selling right away, considering it's also at 29.99. Btw, what's the LTD for the first FF? Did we ever get to know that?

Codename:STEAM, instead (22 days counted) is a bomba. Nintendo didn't even promote it at launch IIRC (I mean, no TV ad), but it's a bomba. I doubt the upcoming update will help its sales at all.

Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker
December - 250,000
January - 30,000
February + March - 46,000

It's still selling, good. Wasn't it over 150,000 in Japan by January? In the case, it should be near 500,000 with US+Japan combined. I wonder if it can hit 1 million WW (at least in shipments) in the next 12 months

Bayonetta 2 was at <135,000 in December, it sold 10,000 in January (thus, < 145,000) and now it's at 157,000. This means it sold >12,000. Including first month's digital sales (10% of debut), it's at around 164,000 units sold (it's actually slightly higher, since I'm incuding just first month digital sales, but the max is 170,000 IMHO). In 6 months, it did outsell what Bayonetta 1 sold on PS3 in 18 months (150,000), and now it's going for what it sold on 360 in 18 months.

Zombi U FINALLY over 200,000 units sold in US XD It had major price cuts, so it had to do it eventually...launch period (excluding the launch week) sucked so much for Wii U...

considering it hasn't hit Bomba pricing like the first did I wonder if bayonetta 2 could end up making Nintendo more money than the first made for sega?

EGM1966

How long will X1's sales be blamed on launch when clearly it wasn't a detriment during the holidays?

For extent of gen. The impact of launch and response (combined with PS4 response) doesn't vanish in terms of its market impact (although it's on-going impact may lessen). It's not the only factor now (PS4 lead, market share and momentum is probably bigger) but the reveal/launch and warm reception of PS4 put the XB1 where it is, and the holiday sales reflect that too despite looking improved.

Right now XB1 is simply less desired overall by gaming centric consumers and that perception is because of how each console launched and how market perceives it. If it's cheap enough in US at holiday period when a lot of less informed purchases take place and price plays a stronger role then market momentum and perception then it can perform well.

The two are linked you know; one contributed to a market position that directly relates to the other. It's also why holiday sales don't carry over to continued lead for Xbox even if its cheaper.

Each element of a consumer good's market perception and reception leads to and informs the next. The Xbox to be blunt looks likely to only ever outsell PS4 when people are willing to buy the perceived "lesser" brand or item due the price advantage and the perception it's "good enough" and that really only happens during periods of the year such as November/December in US.

Until MS change the market perception PS4 is "better" - if they ever do - they'll never change unless they really cut the price way below PS4.

Wii U's hardware sales are still woeful, but software's turned around in the past year. Top titles are reaching astonishing attach rates, and smaller titles have been able to carve themselves a niche that the likes of Pikmin weren't able to. The fact that Mario Party had better first month sales than 3D World had in the holidays speaks its own story, really.

Of course, many of these titles are connected to major franchises, either directly or through spin-offs. We'll see how able Nintendo is to sell new ideas with Splatoon.

Bgamer90

Banned
I see you bring up exclusives alot. Can you explain to me why X1 didn't win one month when a exclusive released?

Could have sworn it won November.

If exclusives are the deciding factor as you say, wouldn't the x1 have won some of those months?

???

I never said they are "the deciding factor". I simply said that they are good to have in the lower console selling months.

Top Bottom