• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD September 2011 Sales Results [Update 3: FIFA 12, Madden 12, Dead Island]

Loudninja said:
I thought we already knew that,so I didn't bother.

Was talking about the op of this thread. I think they are restraining from putting the "unofficial" numbers there but if NPD confirmed it should be ok.

Road

npdytdhomejansept-27zfv.png

Applying previous years' min, avg and max Jan-Sep to full year ratio for each platform to 2011, we have these ranges for 2011 sales:

360: 6.6 ~ 7.1 ~ 7.8 million
WII: 4.3 ~ 5.0 ~ 5.6 million
PS3: 3.8 ~ 4.7 ~ 5.4 million

Adding the previous years' min, avg and max raw totals of Oct-Dec to the Jan-Sep total of 2011 for each platform, we have these ranges:

WII: 5.2 ~ 6.7 ~ 7.9 million
360: 5.3 ~ 6.0 ~ 7.0 million
PS3: 3.7 ~ 4.2 ~ 4.8 million

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Road said:
npdytdhomejansept-27zfv.png

Applying previous years' min, avg and max Jan-Sep to full year ratio for each platform to 2011, we have these ranges for 2011 sales:

360: 6.6 ~ 7.1 ~ 7.8 million
WII: 4.3 ~ 5.0 ~ 5.6 million
PS3: 3.8 ~ 4.7 ~ 5.4 million

Adding the previous years' min, avg and max raw totals of Oct-Dec to the Jan-Sep total of 2011 for each platform, we have these ranges:

WII: 5.2 ~ 6.7 ~ 7.9 million
360: 5.3 ~ 6.0 ~ 7.0 million
PS3: 3.7 ~ 4.2 ~ 4.8 million

That's a really cool graph, great job. That's really impressive, man. Seriously.

Subitai

Globox_82 said:
ps3 fans brag about exclusives, but don't buy them
Ouch.

Anyway, given how R3 did, I feel that Sony made a large mistake in not releasing UC3 last month instead. I mean, it is going into a zone gaming hasn't been before with 2 giant multi-platform juggernauts releasing in the same month.

It has been pointed out before, but a few years ago MS saw how things were turning after Halo 3 and MW came out and then adjusted themselves a little and made sure 360 solidified as the CoD console the way PS2 was the GTA console. In addition to the promotions they moved their shooters out of CoD's release window and have been more or less able to have their multiplatform cake and eat it without taking much of a bite out of their 1st/2nd party sales. I'm not sure why Sony still hasn't picked up on this and made similar moves.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Subitai said:
Ouch.

Anyway, given how R3 did, I feel that Sony made a large mistake in not releasing UC3 last month instead. I mean, it is going into a zone gaming hasn't been before with 2 giant multi-platform juggernauts releasing in the same month.

I have to agree with you despite thinking UC3 will still sell well, just less well.

If they released it last month it would be hard not to resist breaking my not buying any online pass games new stance.

In november? There are a handful of games I want to play more and a ton I want to play equally/slightly less so I can wait until it's 20$ ish used.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Subitai said:
It has been pointed out before, but a few years ago MS saw how things were turning after Halo 3 and MW came out and then adjusted themselves a little and made sure 360 solidified as the CoD console the way PS2 was the GTA console.
I think PS2 was the GTA console because of 6 months+ exclusivity.
I don't think the map packs with their 1 month compare.

The more reasonable assumption why it's the console of choice in the US is the network effect of the 360.

bandresen said:

The more reasonable assumption why it's the console of choice in the US is the network effect of the 360.

You underestimate every non-GAF consumer. A game is usually on the system it's advertised on. When I worked at a game store it was "I want a PS2 for GTA" even though the Xbox version was out and was better.

Road

Stumpokapow said:
That's a really cool graph, great job. That's really impressive, man. Seriously.
Thanks.

I guess I felt a sadistic urge, having tried to make that using LibreOffice instead of MS Office. But I was bored at work...

DMeisterJ

Banned
Kusagari said:
The Nov NPD thread will be glorious. UC3 barely being in the top 10 will probably cause mass outrage.
I think most people will understand with the heightened sales for November, the positioning isnt relevant. The numbers are going to be the big deal... if this month is any indication, we should easily see that positioning is useless.

Kusagari

DMeisterJ said:
I think most people will understand with the heightened sales for November, the positioning isnt relevant. The numbers are going to be the big deal... if this month is any indication, we should easily see that positioning is useless.

Uncharted 2 did 537k in October... I can't say for sure if U3 will beat that or not when it's sandwiched in-between the BF3 and CoD onslaught. Whether it beats it or not, I don't expect the sales would go much higher.

Also, I really want Dead Island numbers.

Kusagari said:
Uncharted 2 did 537k in October... I can't say for sure if U3 will beat that or not when it's sandwiched in-between the BF3 and CoD onslaught. Whether it beats it or not, I don't expect the sales would go much higher.

Also, I really want Dead Island numbers.

What was UC2's competition the month it came out?

Kusagari

OldJadedGamer said:
What was UC2's competition the month it came out?

Not anything hugely big. Forza 3, Borderlands, Fifa, NBA 2K10. When the big guns like MW2, L4D2 and Assassin's Creed II came out in November, Uncharted 2 dropped off a cliff never to be seen again.

I wouldn't be surprised if both Resistance and Killzone don't get sequels next gen.

Regarding Uncharted - I'm expecting 600-700k in November.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
BKK said:
R3 will struggle to get anywhere near 1m worldwide without bundling, the franchise is dead IMO. Time to move on and create a new IP for next gen.

I'm willing to bet a permanent ban on R3 hitting a million units sans bundles. I'll even give you 1.25 million.

Cornbread78

bandresen said:

Or that fact that is came out almost a year earlier and everyone ran out to get the "Next-Gen" system that was out...XBox. Then Sony released their machine at $600 bucks and expected to pick up steam real quick.... Wow, they couldn't have been more wrong....Lil' Timmy, Tommy, and Johnny had already bought XBoxes, so of course their buddy Andy, Donny and Frankie all went out and bought XBoxes also so Timmy, Tommy, Johnny, Donny, Andy and Frankie all could play together.....

Thus PS3 was almost doomed from the start. Now that is a little revisionist, simplified history for ya, but you get the idea of what happened and why it's an XBox generation.

TheOddOne said:
Please don't do this.

Its fun having industry folk around <3

I think he's gonna be right worldwide.....

Subitai

bandresen said:

The door was open a crack for Sony to get in and diminish the network effect lead after 2007, but MS made sure they slammed it shut. Sony has paid to have their logo at the end of commercials for other multi-platform games, and MS made sure that none of them were CoD games. Also, since MS has been releasing fewer 1st party games, they don't have as much of a disincentive to pay for promoting the really big multi-platform titles. Instead of paying for a 1st party exclusive to move consoles, they spent a fraction of that and arguably moved more systems riding CoD.

Anyway, my main point initially though was that UC3's sales will be a victim of Sony's less astute release scheduling.

On a side note, I wonder if the promotion with Subway is going to do as well for Sony as opposed to marketing with McDonald's, BK, or Taco Bell, which I'd say are preferred more in the profile of the typical bro-shooter gamer.

LOCK

Lagspike_exe said:
I wouldn't be surprised if both Resistance and Killzone don't get sequels next gen.

Regarding Uncharted - I'm expecting 600-700k in November.
I don't know about that, but both need to take a break probably till next gen.

Kusagari

Killzone's the more likely to get a sequel. Resistance needs a long, long vacation or to just be killed off. I don't see how Sony can be happy with the series sales.

BKK

jstevenson said:
I'm willing to bet a permanent ban on R3 hitting a million units sans bundles. I'll even give you 1.25 million.

The problem is only one of us will ever have access to that data :p But, yeah, it probably will once it goes to Greatest hits, but I don't see it doing it at full price.

KingDizzi

Banned
jstevenson said:

Holy shit, to think 1.25 million is actually some kind of achievement. Why again did you bother with another Resistance and Ratchet? Should have started fresh.......unless Sony pushed you poor buggers. :(

My predictions:
1. No more inFamous by Sucker Punch
2. No more Resistance or Ratchet by Insomniac
3. Killzone will continue by gg
4. LBP will take a break until PS4
5. Uncharted will continue onto PS4 but I pray it won't
6. GT will continue which is all I actually care about

GG fucked up with KZ3, the second was mint so felt weird seeing them take a step back. inFamous will not carry on because sales aren't amazing and story wise can't see how SP could continue it.

:)

Lagspike_exe said:

Hopefully we don't see another Uncharted either. Nothing against the game but new generations call for new IP's. The reason we got Uncharted is because they let go of the Jak series. New generations are a fresh start.

Male Nurse

Neo Member
Kusagari said:
Killzone's the more likely to get a sequel. Resistance needs a long, long vacation or to just be killed off. I don't see how Sony can be happy with the series sales.

I agree with this, but mostly because Sony franchises have a habit of being sidelined. It is a trend they have had since the psx.

LOCK

OldJadedGamer said:
Hopefully we don't see another Uncharted either. Nothing against the game but new generations call for new IP's. The reason we got Uncharted is because they let go of the Jak series. New generations are a fresh start.
Blasphemy!

Effect

I'd like to see both Killzone and Resistance change genres. I think the worlds built for them could support that and they might see more success that way by not appearing as CoD copies even though they might not be that.

Gravijah

Effect said:
I'd like to see both Killzone and Resistance change genres. I think the worlds built for them could support that and they might see more success that way by not appearing as CoD copies even though they might not be that.

yeah me too, they'd really work well as third person shooters.

Biggzy

Kusagari said:

Does Sony own the Resistance IP? if so then I expect Insomniac wouldn't want anything to with the IP from now on.

BurntPork

Banned
specialguy said:
HD twins (which I always argue to be essentially the same console for hardcore vs casual sales purposes) outsold Wii more than three to one (~800k>240k). This is why Wii U is coming...
tumblr_lk5tyfa6nw1qcz1gq.gif

kneePat

Biggzy said:
Does Sony own the Resistance IP? if so then I expect Insomniac wouldn't want anything to with the IP from now on.

Yeah I'm pretty sure they're going to focus on multi platform releases from here on out, also nothing against exclusives but an FPS like Resistance would probably do better on the Xbox so it makes sense to branch out from the antiquated idea that exclusives are vital to the life of a console because more sales are vital to the life of a developer.

Insomniac also has a new (North Carolina I think) studio that will probably be relegated to the Ratchet and Clank games as was the case with All 4 One, so they're set up well for multi platform for the future. Resistance is Sony's IP so expect someone else to take over as was the case for the portable versions.

Truth101

Banned
BurntPork said:
3DS bottom screen: 3.05 inches
DSi screens: 3.02 inches

I was saying the DSi didn't have a larger screen than the 3DS. but the DSiXL did. I was just to lazy to type everything out so I said, Not DSiXl. As in it is bigger than the 3DS, but it isn't the "main" DSi console.

test_account

XP-39C²
BishopLamont said:
A new FPS would have been more profitable.
Could be. But both Resistance 1 ans 2 sold more than 1 million copies each, so it made sense to push at least 1 more game in the serie. Making a new FPS could be a bigger risk.

Personally i really hope that Resistance 4 is a PS4 launch title. I'm interested in the story and i dont feel that Resistance 3 put a closure on it.

BurntPork

Banned
Truth101 said:
I was saying the DSi didn't have a larger screen than the 3DS. but the DSiXL did. I was just to lazy to type everything out so I said, Not DSiXl. As in it is bigger than the 3DS, but it isn't the "main" DSi console.
I typo'd. I meant to put this:

3DS bottom screen: 3.02 in
DSi screens: 3.25 in

It's slight, but noticeable.

Kazerei

Banned
StoppedInTracks said:
People are not doubting UC3 presence in Nov NPD, even at 10th place, are they?

November is going to be a ridiculous month. There's over a dozen major releases I can think of, but they can't all be in the top 10. UC3 might not make it because it is a single platform title.

Assassin's Creed: Revelations
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3
Batman: Arkham City
Battlefield 3
Disney Universe
Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
Just Dance 3
Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary
Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7
Madden NFL 12
Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games
NBA 2K12
Super Mario 3D Land
Uncharted 3

test_account said:
It is just speculation, but how much is the total development costs (including marketing) for Resistance 3?
I have no idea what development costs are but the MNF and primetime network tv show spots they did cost 6 figures each time they air an ad. MNF ad rates can run as high as 300K per spot and the season premiers are running 200K per ad.

test_account said:
It is just speculation, but how much is the total development costs (including marketing) for Resistance 3?
It really doesn't matter. 180k for the first month is abysmal, many third rate FPS games do that. For a big budget first party game to do that is pretty bad.

Biggzy

kneePat said:
Yeah I'm pretty sure they're going to focus on multi platform releases from here on out, also nothing against exclusives but an FPS like Resistance would probably do better on the Xbox so it makes sense to branch out from the antiquated idea that exclusives are vital to the life of a console because more sales are vital to the life of a developer.

Insomniac also has a new (North Carolina I think) studio that will probably be relegated to the Ratchet and Clank games as was the case with All 4 One, so they're set up well for multi platform for the future. Resistance is Sony's IP so expect someone else to take over as was the case for the portable versions.

Yeah it make sense for Insomniac to carry on making R&C games since it seems to sell consistently well. But other than that, they are pretty much a 3rd party studio now.

Top Bottom