• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia announces the GTX 980 Ti | $650 £550 €605

My MSI got here today, very pleased with it. I haven't touched any overclocking stuff yet, I don't think I will for a little bit, but we'll see. ASIC score is 68%.

Is it worth upgrading from a GTX 980 to the 980 TI?

I might give my 980 to my little brother and get the free MGS V promotion coming up with the 980 TI.

Looks like a ~10-15% increase in performance across the board?

I"m running a 60Hz 1440p Monitor for reference.

Just thought I'd update with some initial numbers. Across 4 different games, my average FPS increase at 1440p is 33% and at 4K it's 38% increase. Witcher 3 runs just a hair under 70fps at 1440p with hairworks stuff off, or at 38fps at 4K. Again, I haven't touched overclocking, but I am sure with a little work those numbers will go up even more. For me, it's worth the upgrade but only if you've got some spare change lying around.

Question.
i5 4670K
ASRock Z87 Pro4
250 GB MX100
1 TB WD10EZEX
8GB (2 x 4GB)
DDR3 1600
SeaSonic G SSR-550RM PSU

Would it be able to support a 980 Ti?

The recommended power req for a ref card is 600W, so your system is slightly below it.

I would say it will still be able to make it run as your PSU is a very good unit, but there will be instance where the card underperforms due to the lack of power. Or even instability to the whole system.

I ordered this card and a 1440p monitor. How well do 1440p look when reduced to 1080p when I need to boost performance?
Not good.... stretched images looks like plop. When you hit that point, you should start decreasing gfx settings, not resolution.

Why would you reduce to 1080p? The 980 Ti can handle 1440p with ease.
That's just not true.
However, if by, "with ease" you mean, "not running max settings", then yes... or perhaps you mean "@ 30fps"

Rolfgang

That's just not true.
However, if by, "with ease" you mean, "not running max settings", then yes... or perhaps you mean "@ 30fps"

Not true... A single 980Ti will have issues running a locked 60FPS on a ton of modern games @ 1440P.

Yeah, we had that discussion before. Sorry, but I can run The Witcher 3 on Ultra (with only Hairworks disabled) on 75 - 80 FPS on 1440p. I can also hit that on GTA V if I don't go bonkers with the advanced settings. And no, I don't need my grass to be rendered on the other side of the map. You can play games on 1440p on 60+ FPS and Ultra settings quite easily, if you just look at the settings and don't blindly put everything on max.

That my definition of running games on 1440p with ease on a single 980 Ti (overclocked that is). If you have another definition, that's fine, this is just my view on the matter.

The recommended power req for a ref card is 600W, so your system is slightly below it.

I would say it will still be able to make it run as your PSU is a very good unit, but there will be instance where the card underperforms due to the lack of power. Or even instability to the whole system.

I guess I'll upgrade to a 750 PSU first. Was hoping I could just get by but if it'll compromise my entire system then I guess I have no choice.
Thanks.

This is the first time I've ever heard of this thing so I Googled it.

It's an external enclosure for a video card which may or may not be Thunderbolt in a proprietary connector which you connect to a recent-model Alienware laptop for external GPU? How well does this thing work? Is it actually Thunderbolt or something else Dell cooked up which connects PCI-e to the enclosure?

After googling and comparing it seems legit.

If you move around a bit, then a 17 r2, touchscreen version, or matte if you prefer,is a good choice. I don't think the i7 will be much of a throttle for whatever gpus come out that can push 4k at 60 fps, let alone this 980 ti. And I think the Thunderbolt or the pci e only takes away about 10 percent. I can't imagine that number will increase.

Seems like a viable option if youre all about the mobility but don't want to lose that ultra at 60fps. Like you could just get a 980m now. And then later get a GA and a 1080 ti and a 4k TV or monitor.

Would work well. The 980ti is good too. But it seems like it's more of a perfect 1080p experience card than a true 4k card.

You can get a 15 or 17 with 980m for about 1500 on eBay thru refurbished distributor. They come with warranties too. Then get a second hand GA for 150 in a year. And blow 600 on whatever will do 4k right.

Yeah, we had that discussion before. Sorry, but I can run The Witcher 3 on Ultra (with only Hairworks disabled) on 75 - 80 FPS on 1440p. I can also hit that on GTA V if I don't go bonkers with the advanced settings. And no, I don't need my grass to be rendered on the other side of the map. You can play games on 1440p on 60+ FPS and Ultra settings quite easily, if you just look at the settings and don't blindly put everything on max.

That my definition of running games on 1440p with ease on a single 980 Ti (overclocked that is). If you have another definition, that's fine, this is just my view on the matter.
I agree you probably do get the performance you describe based on the settings you indicate... but I think it's deceiving to say you are running "ULTRA" settings when you are actually running mostly maxed settings with some things turned off (hairwork) or down (foliage) to achieve acceptable performance.

The layman entering this thread looking for advice on GPU's very well could read your post and buy a 980 Ti with the expectation they can run modern games with absolutely everything maxed out @ 60fps... which is certainly not the case.

Sure, you've gone on to clarify how you define "ultra"... but I don't think it aligns with how most define it.

Rolfgang

I agree you probably do get the performance you describe based on the settings you indicate... but I think it's deceiving to say you are running "ULTRA" settings when you are actually running mostly maxed settings with some things turned off (hairwork) or down (foliage) to achieve acceptable performance.

The layman entering this thread looking for advice on GPU's very well could read your post and buy a 980 Ti with the expectation they can run modern games with absolutely everything maxed out @ 60fps... which is certainly not the case.

Sure, you've gone on to clarify how you define "ultra"... but I don't think it aligns with how most define it.

True, altough some settings these days (like Hairworks and some of the options in GTA V's advanced settings) will butcher your framerate, while offering almost nothing in return. Oh and I only disable Hairworks in TW3, not foliage. I only dial down the draw distance of foliage in GTA V a bit, so it won't render foliage in the game where I can't even see it.

For example, I also ran TW3 with Hairworks on and still achieved 60+ FPS, but I don't think it's worth to run those settings and I can hardly notice the difference, especially when riding, running or fighting.

My MSI got here today, very pleased with it. I haven't touched any overclocking stuff yet, I don't think I will for a little bit, but we'll see. ASIC score is 68%.

You'd be amazed by what adding a bit of overclocking will do though. Just about every single one of these cards can at least go 100mhz higher on the core and +300 on the memory. And that will give you a decent boost.

The 980 should still sell for a decent chunk of change, making the upgrade all the more worthwhile.

WaltJay

I've been noticing my graphics preset have been defaulting to 1440p on some games, even though my TV is just 1080p (Mortal Kombat X for example). Is it that the game offers 4k resolution textures, which will be then downsampled to 1080p?

I have the Gigabyte 980 Ti G1 and I'm experiencing performance issues in Borderlands 2 at 1080p with Physx on high.

I checked with Vsync off and most of the time my fps is well over 100 and sometimes over 200. But when I get into battle with multiple enemies and start shooting them my fps tanks to sub 40. It hasn't happened since I set physx to low.

I'm guessing physx is just unoptimized for this game?

I find it hard to believe that a 980 Ti can't stay above 60fps at 1080p in a 3 year old game.

Rolfgang

I have the Gigabyte 980 Ti G1 and I'm experiencing performance issues in Borderlands 2 at 1080p with Physx on high.

I checked with Vsync off and most of the time my fps is well over 100 and sometimes over 200. But when I get into battle with multiple enemies and start shooting them my fps tanks to sub 40. It hasn't happened since I set physx to low.

I'm guessing physx is just unoptimized for this game?

I find it hard to believe that a 980 Ti can't stay above 60fps at 1080p in a 3 year old game.

Is your PhysX set to CPU or GPU? You might want to test it with both settings, but I think your can achieve better performance if you set it to GPU (in Nvidia Configuration).

Is your PhysX set to CPU or GPU? You might want to test it with both settings, but I think your can achieve better performance if you set it to GPU (in Nvidia Configuration).

It's set to Auto.

I'll try setting it to GPU the next time I play and see what that does.

You'd be amazing what adding a bit of overclocking will do though. Just about every single one of these cards can at least go 100mhz higher on the core and +300 on the memory. And that will give you a decent boost.

The 980 should still sell for a decent chunk of change, making the upgrade all the more worthwhile.

Yeah pretty quickly after posting that I realized that's silly and I'll definitely be overclocking tonight.

And yep, my MSI 980 should be able to sell for a good price, even here in Canada. Ideally I'll sell it to someone in the U.S. for $400ish. I think that's a doable price.

I'm glad I upgraded, the 980 was very good but it's more fun having that extra headroom for 60fps or 4k. Should be a good fall for PC gaming (providing the ports are good.)

EDIT: Yeah so I managed to get a decent little overclock on my card and with the OC activated I get an average increase of about 15% over the stock clocks for the card, I am happy with that. So now the jump from the 980 to the 980 ti with OC it's averaging over 50% faster.

takriel

So I just installed a MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6G and my idle temp is around 55-60 degrees with no fan activity. With fan speed set at 45% I get 39-40 degrees, which is fine really. But does having fan speed of 45% damage the card in the long run?

And what could be possible causes for high idle temperatures? Air flow seems to be fine.

So I just installed a MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6G and my idle temp is around 55-60 degrees with no fan activity. With fan speed set at 45% I get 39-40 degrees, which is fine really. But does having fan speed of 45% damage the card in the long run?

And what could be possible causes for high idle temperatures? Air flow seems to be fine.

In nvidia control panel, check to see if the power management is set to adaptive.
Also, what kind and how many monitors you are running off the card?

I think it's a good idea to just set a custom fan profile with something like MSI Afterburner right away.

takriel

In nvidia control panel, check to see if the power management is set to adaptive.
Also, what kind and how many monitors you are running off the card?

Just checked, it was set to adaptive already! I'm using a 34" Dell with 3440x1440 resolution. Could this have such a high impact?

I think it's a good idea to just set a custom fan profile with something like MSI Afterburner right away.

Already did that. So now the fan speed is always at around 45% in idle. Is this alright, or will the card suffer from this in the longterm?

Just checked, it was set to adaptive already! I'm using a 34" Dell with 3440x1440 resolution. Could this have such a high impact?

Already did that. So now the fan speed is always at around 45% in idle. Is this alright, or will the card suffer from this in the longterm?

During idle, what clock speed is the card running at? You can use hwinfo64 to see this. If it doesn't downclock then there is something keeping the card from downclocking itself.

But with that said, that temp is fine. Setting a custom fan curve at 45% idle is obviously gonna decrease the longevity of the fan but even then it is negligible.

takriel

During idle, what clock speed is the card running at? You can use hwinfo64 to see this. If it doesn't downclock then there is something keeping the card from downclocking itself.

But with that said, that temp is fine. Setting a custom fan curve at 45% idle is obviously gonna decrease the longevity of the fan but even then it is negligible.

Clock speed is 135 MHz according to Afterburner. So that should be fine.

I'm going to have to check airflow again, but my case is big and pretty spacey. Maybe dust it out? I don't know.

Clock speed is 135 MHz according to Afterburner. So that should be fine.

I'm going to have to check airflow again, but my case is big and pretty spacey. Maybe dust it out? I don't know.

Slap a side case fan, blowing directly at the card if you haven't already.

Beside that, as the poster above said, it's summer.

comrade

FWIW, the msi is more well rounded in terms of everything. Not the best in anything specifically (perf, heat, noise), but the best overall combined.
Thanks for the input. My 970s were msi and I had no problems with them. Keep reading about the sexy overclocks on the g1 though.

Coil whine can happen to every brand, so don't get your hope up too high that the MSI will not have it.

But otherwise, there isn't a bad choice here. Now I suggest sit in the corner and press f5 every minute like I did :p

So the Nvidia site says "Minimum System Power Requirement: 600 W". I have a 600 W power supply. Is this enough to power the card or do I need to count other things like CPU's and hard drives' power usage too?

OraleeWey

According to Jacob from the EVGA forums, later this week early next week (specific store not specified). Watch the EVGA forums and NowInStock.com

EVGA_JacobF said:
More next week, sorry for the limited stock, extremely high demand but next week have a decent QTY coming in.

Sweet. They just don't know which retailers will be getting the shipments.

PSA for anyone running desktop resolution higher than 1080p: the Win10 drivers are kinda fucked right now, flickering windows everywhere and mouse cursor corruption. I feel like I'm using AMD Catalyst lately, ugh.

paskowitz

The EVGA Classified is better than the Gigabyte G1?

There isn't anything particularly special about the Classified unless you plan on doing extreme cooling (water or LN2). The Gigabyte is a longer card, while the Classy is wider. The Classy probably has a higher POTENTIAL overclocking ceiling, but it is all up to the silicon lottery. Both cards definitely produce and dump a lot of hot air into your case, so keep that in mind. IMO the Classy is one of the best looking cards when in a case. ATM the best 980 ti you can get is the EVGA K|NGP|N which will consistently clock above 1500/8000Mhz... but it is $850 and not really worth it at a $200 premium.

Top Bottom