• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti launch/review day - 2017/03/09

Sarcasm

Why are so many people interested in the founders edition?

If you look up you will see my reason.

I don't know any better.

To me the reference blowers seem pretty good. Sucks from bottom and spits it out the back instead of over the cpu.

My other question is about water cooling is this bought as is or do you do it aftermarket?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I hate sli
But I'm drunk
Someone stop me

Very low value-for-money due to losing an entire pool of VRAM, failing to scale performance 1:1 with existing card, and lacking truly consistent driver and engine support across titles leading to some titles not supporting SLI at all.

roMonster

Im not familiar with founders editions cards. I have a vague idea of what they did with the 1080/1070 but I didnt really pay close attention as I was not in the market for a new card.

Will the AIB cards cost more or be equal to these cards they're selling now?

Rbk_3

I am new to PC gaming and just built a rig with a 1080 GTX in December. What is the best course of action to upgrade?

I am tempted to sell my 1080 and buy the 1080ti but that is probably a silly thing to do.

Renekton

Why... are marked-up reference cards here sold out day one? DX

Too many local political crony kids with money to throw.

Xyber

Im not familiar with founders editions cards. I have a vague idea of what they did with the 1080/1070 but I didnt really pay close attention as I was not in the market for a new card.

Will the AIB cards cost more or be equal to these cards they're selling now?

Some cards will be priced similar, some will be quite a bit more expensive.

Doubt we will see anything below the FE cards though.

I am new to PC gaming and just built a rig with a 1080 GTX in December. What is the best course of action to upgrade?

I am tempted to sell my 1080 and buy the 1080ti but that is probably a silly thing to do.

What resolution and framerate do you game at?

If the answer is 1080p 60Hz, then you should not upgrade.

Rbk_3

Some cards will be priced similar, some will be quite a bit more expensive.

Doubt we will see anything below the FE cards though.

What resolution and framerate do you game at?

If the answer is 1080p 60Hz, then you should not upgrade.

I am gaming on my 4k TV (KS8000). The game I have been spending all my time with since I built it runs a solid 60fps maxed in 4K.

I am probably best waiting for the 1180 or even the 1180ti

I am planning on buying a 1440p 27" gsync monitor at some point

Xyber

I am gaming on my 4k TV (KS8000). The game I have been spending all my time with since I built it runs a solid 60fps maxed in 4K.

I am probably best waiting for the 1180 or even the 1180ti

I am planning on buying a 1440p 27" gsync monitor at some point

If you don't have any need for it right now, it would probably be better to hold off until you do.

Need some advice guys. After returning my EVGA FTW GTX 1070 to Amazon, I managed to pile up to 600€, so now I'm wondering if I should aim for the 1080Ti or if it would be wiser going for a 1080. Is the performance among both cards worh the 220€ difference?

Need some advice guys. After returning my EVGA FTW GTX 1070 to Amazon, I managed to pile up to 600€, so now I'm wondering if I should aim for the 1080Ti or if it would be wiser going for a 1080. Is the performance among both cards worh the 220€ difference?
If you play in 4K then go with the Ti.

I'm guessing we'll be waiting a month for custom cards again and when they do appear it will be another insane massive shortage and feeding frenzy with Newegg and Nowinstock again like it was with the 1080. Sigh.

I still need to find someone who wants to buy my Asus Strix 1080. It's a pretty mundane one which hits 2063 core.

jrcbandit

Uhm I just thought I could go for an EVGA FTW GTX 1080, and then apply for the step-up program..

You can, but you will only be able to step up to the Founder's Edition 1080Ti with the shitty blower cooler. Fine if you are going water cooling or going to buy a Hybrid kit to replace the default fan.

At some later date, they might offer the step up to the SC black edition that has the iCX cooler but that isn't guaranteed.

You can, but you will only be able to step up to the Founder's Edition 1080Ti with the shitty blower cooler. Fine if you are going water cooling or going to buy a Hybrid kit to replace the default fan.

At some later date, they might offer the step up to the SC black edition that has the iCX cooler but that isn't guaranteed.

IIRC the step-up program lasts for 90 days. So, if EVGA releases any custom 1080Ti versions, would they be elegible, or would I be locked to the founders one?

Sarcasm

Does one of the companies sell a water cooled on already?

Or is it always have to be done by yourself aftermarket wise?

pa22word

Does one of the companies sell a water cooled on already?

Or is it always have to be done by yourself aftermarket wise?

Both

I dunno how it went with Pascal launch, but IIRC with the 980ti they put out the hybrid kits a bit earlier than they did the actual hybrid cards. I might be wrong about that though.

On my 980ti hybrid the kit was super easy to install. The only pain in the ass was that the reference shroud and heatsink were assholishly placed by nvidia, and it took forever and about 5 sets of screwdrivers to get it apart with one particular hex screw on there being wonky needing a specific tool from a specific manufacturer to get off without ruining the screw (which I didn't want to do for warranty reasons).

Not really "hard" to get apart though, just tedious.

Deathknell

This is my rig:

i7 4770k not overclocked (small case and bad airflow)
16gb ddr3 1866mhz
980ti not overclocked (same reason as cpu)

Do you think i'll be bottlenecked by cpu and ram if i'm gonna put in a 1080ti?
I'm worried about minimum fps..

Monitor is 1440p 165hz btw.

dEvAnGeL

Gold Member
This is my rig:

i7 4770k not overclocked (small case and bad airflow)
16gb ddr3 1866mhz
980ti not overclocked (same reason as cpu)

Do you think i'll be bottlenecked by cpu and ram if i'm gonna put in a 1080ti?
I'm worried about minimum fps..

Monitor is 1440p 165hz btw.
Not if you play on resolutions higher than 1080p

Occasionally, at high framerates the CPU would be hit at 1440p based on the Digital Foundry review but I doubt it would be a major issue. At 1080p though, without downsampling, the card just sits around waiting for the CPU.

Madridy

Hey fellas,

I'm thinking of upgrading my rig with this bad boy:

GTX 980
3570k @4.4Ghz
16GB ram

Play @ 1080p resolution. (Recently had some issues playing Witcher 3 @ Ultra 60fps, thats why I'm thinking of upgrading)

Would you guys think it is worth it?

Will my CPU be a bottleneck?

Thanks.

Hey fellas,

I'm thinking of upgrading my rig with this bad boy:

GTX 980
3570k @4.4Ghz
16GB ram

Play @ 1080p resolution. (Recently had some issues playing Witcher 3 @ Ultra 60fps, thats why I'm thinking of upgrading)

Would you guys think it is worth it?

Will my CPU be a bottleneck?

Thanks.

At 1080p60, I would find it hard to justify. Neither the CPU or the GPU would be a bottleneck in the vast majority of games at 60fps. I'd say a better option may be to keep an eye out for a used 980ti since there will be a ton on the market soon.

Pagusas

Elden Member
IIRC the step-up program lasts for 90 days. So, if EVGA releases any custom 1080Ti versions, would they be elegible, or would I be locked to the founders one?
No they don't let you upgrade to the same model type. You can't go 1080ti to 1080ti, if for some assholeish reason nvidia released Volta next month, you could do that.

grtkbrandon

Neo Member
No they don't let you upgrade to the same model type. You can't go 1080ti to 1080ti, if for some assholeish reason nvidia released Volta next month, you could do that.

This isn't true. On the step up page it gives an example of stepping up from the 970 FTW to the 970 FTW+.

kuYuri

Now I might as well order the other thing I've been putting off....ram.

Time to move up to 16 from the 8 I have now.

Any good deals kicking around?

Unfortunately, it's the worst time to purchase RAM since prices are up across the board in general.

Just check out slicksdeals for RAM deals.

Weevilone

This isn't true. On the step up page it gives an example of stepping up from the 970 FTW to the 970 FTW+.

They rarely add cards like that to the list unless they have been out forever. If I recall when 1080 releases they only had models with the reference PCB.

I'll be stepping up from a 1080 ICX to a FE. That's once they swap my FTW for the ICX.

Ordered myself a MSI GeForce GTX 1080Ti Gaming X OC

Just got to wait for a shipment date now :/ Any ideas when they are going to be released?

Zaph

Ordered myself a MSI GeForce GTX 1080Ti Gaming X OC

Just got to wait for a shipment date now :/ Any ideas when they are going to be released?

We've only head a tentative April release on the custom cards so far (from OCUK). EVGA said May for their high-end FTW3

Smokey

Got screwed by Newegg or FedEx, most likely both.

Newegg Premiere member w/ auto rush processing, next day delivery, Saturday delivery....And package hasn't left CA despite my order getting in multiple hours before the rush processing cutoff time.

Great service

I hate this part of the video card game, waiting for custom cooler cards to come out. It's always seems like it makes the month much longer.

gdt

Newegg Premiere member w/ auto rush processing, next day delivery, Saturday delivery....And package hasn't left CA despite my order getting in multiple hours before the rush processing cutoff time.

Great service

I got the auto rush and bumped the shipping up to...two day I think?

It's been in packaging since yesterday afternoon, estimated ship date is Monday. Hope that means I'll get it Wednesday.

Installed the hybrid cooler from my 980ti onto the 1080ti. First time messing with installing a different GPU cooling system myself, but everything went smoothly.

Max core clock so far is 2063Mhz and temp hasn't gone over 38C :)

PFD

Installed the hybrid cooler from my 980ti onto the 1080ti. First time messing with installing a different GPU cooling system myself, but everything went smoothly.

That's great. Have you noticed a big jump in performance from the 980Ti?

Weevilone

Great service

Yah I paid Nvidia the max shipping fee for 10:30AM delivery yesterday. It finally arrived around 6PM.

No recourse because Fedex declared some crisis due to storms in Memphis the night before. My card was on a local truck 20 minutes away at 6:30AM, so obviously it wasn't affected by this storm. The storm just gave them the ability to give zero fucks and keep my money.

Vipu

Banned

What cooler?
38C even on load??
How loud is it etc at load?

Top Bottom