• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti launch/review day - 2017/03/09

If you want to do UHD movies at some point will need to be HDMI I think, for HDCP 2.2.

DisplayPort 1.3 includes mandatory dual-mode support for HDMI 2.0 signaling and HDCP 2.2. You just need a DP to HDMI cable. So you can use any of the video card's outputs in case your HDMI is tied up with an Oculus Rift or something.

Alternatively, Asus Strix cards feature 2x HDMI outputs instead of the usual 1.

What hybrid cooler are u all talking about.
Is there some cooler that is best/recommended to get?

In addition to the link above, I got mine from Amazon warehouse deals (was a returned open box unit) for 80 shipped. The included thermal pads were messed up due to the poor repacking job but I was able to reuse the pads that were on the card (evga with the thermal pad mod installed from factory).

The nice thing about the EVGA kits is that they fit well on the Titan x/1080ti FE PCB with alittle modification. Comes with a shroud, white led for a cleaner look than the diy ones.

Weevilone

DisplayPort 1.3 includes mandatory dual-mode support for HDMI 2.0 signaling and HDCP 2.2. You just need a DP to HDMI cable. So you can use any of the video card's outputs in case your HDMI is tied up with an Oculus Rift or something.

Alternatively, Asus Strix cards feature 2x HDMI outputs instead of the usual 1.

Cool, I didn't know that.

I just installed 2 of those on 1080Tis. 2 modifications have to be made and metal needs to be shaved off. Make sure you have a Dremel type tool.

Does the back part of the base plate really need to be shaved? Is it a matter of the base plate touching the caps? Or the base plate won't fit period without shaving?

Belmire

What's your case/airflow look like to accommodate two hybrid coolers?

Here's a pic of my dusty system with 1080s, looks exactly the same with 1080Tis.

p33fplal.jpg

Does the back part of the base plate really need to be shaved? Is it a matter of the base plate touching the caps? Or the base plate won't fit period without shaving?

You need to cut through the metal to make room for the 6 pin PCIE and there is a new choke IC on 1080TI that wasn't there for the 1080. The arrow points to the area behind the cooler.

4afa2cdd7b83e3de39252f04c13780fce8a16938e0b1701b66c6dcc27b073b59.png

Grassy

Here's a pic of my dusty system with 1080s, looks exactly the same with 1080Tis.

p33fplal.jpg

You need to cut through the metal to make room for the 6 pin PCIE and there is a new choke IC on 1080TI that wasn't there for the 1080. The arrow points to the area behind the cooler.

How's the noise from the radiator\pump on the floor of the case? When I installed the Hybrid coolers on my 980 Ti's I initially had one of the radiators on the floor of the case like yours, but the pump was irritatingly loud and mounting it on the roof of the case made it a lot quieter.

Belmire

How's the noise from the radiator\pump on the floor of the case? When I installed the Hybrid coolers on my 980 Ti's I initially had one of the radiators on the floor of the case like yours, but the pump was irritatingly loud and mounting it on the roof of the case made it a lot quieter.

Yes, the floor is much louder than rear mounted, I've noticed too. I just live with whatever noise because my case is loud to begin with. I have no fan controllers and about 9 fans worth. NZXT switch 810. Big, cool and not that silent. I'm hovering at 41c in SLI at 2088 MHz. Idle is 24c. Blame Canada. =)

New Firestrike score:
http://www.3dmark.com/fs/11978782

Hexer06

So I have an EVGA 1080 Hybrid. I know nothing about SLI, but would I be able to purchase a 1080i and combine it with my 1080 Hybrid or no? Sorry for sounding like an idiot, lol.

p33fplal.jpg

Thanks. I read the inside of the baseplate towards the end near the fins also needs to be modified to account for the caps at the end of the card, so you didn't have to do anything there? Just cut out for the 6 pin and the small piece near the vrms?

Belmire

Thanks. I read the inside of the baseplate towards the end near the fins also needs to be modified to account for the caps at the end of the card, so you didn't have to do anything there? Just cut out for the 6 pin and the small piece near the vrms?

I've only made the above two modification to the metal bracket. I wouldn't be surprised if there was some other slight interference with the bracket and PCB. I was able to torque in all the screws in with no problem. Works great! =)

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

dr_rus

1080 was a $700 card
It really wasn't. I mean, I could get a 1080 OC custom for ~$650 here since October last year, where everything is usually +$100 or so to the US price base.

The statistician in me winces when he sees a curve fitted into those points. Also, it seems a bit strange to include the 8800 Ultra but not the Titans. The Ultra was a bit like a proto-Titan.

Still interesting.

There are several rather strange omissions in there, like the lack of actual GeForce3 which launched ~half a year prior to the Ti200/Ti500 split on $500 price point which is $686 when adjusted for inflation and puts it squarely in the middle of all the recent high end releases showing that NV's prices for high end GPUs have been pretty much stable since GF2U/GF3.

Damn - so excited for this. I know I shouldn't upgrade (just bought a 1070 in summer!) but performance boost is too tempting. Hurry up Gigabyte! I want to buy your non-reference 1080Ti G1!

gdt

Shipped!

Says itll be here Wednesday, which is never happening because of the snow. Thursday most likely then!

That and the ram upgrade I'll do should feel goooooood.

paskowitz

I just ordered 2 Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti from Nvidia. While I am planning on flipping them on eBay (sorry I am that guy right now)... if I can't get enough (~$100 net) for them I will sell them at cost here. PM if you are interested.

I just ordered 2 Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti from Nvidia. While I am planning on flipping them on eBay (sorry I am that guy right now)... if I can't get enough (~$100 net) for them I will sell them at cost here. PM if you are interested.

I'll do better than that.

I have an EVGA FE from Newegg and the FE from Nvidia.

Newegg only offers replacement on the EVGA so that is the one I will keep.

Will sell the Nvidia card to anyone in NYC at cost (what I paid for it). I live and work in the city.

They will be here Thursday and anyone interested can PM me and come pick it up at my office in Midtown.

If not, then I'll just return the card from the Nvidia store.

paskowitz

I'll do better than that.

I have an EVGA FE from Newegg and the FE from Nvidia.

Newegg only offers replacement on the EVGA so that is the one I will keep.

Will sell the Nvidia card to anyone in NYC at cost (what I paid for it). I live and work in the city.

They will be here Thursday and anyone interested can PM me and come pick it up at my office in Midtown.

If not, then I'll just return the card from the Nvidia store.

I am also in NY (just outside of the city) and would be happy to do the delivery myself...

JoseDFrog

Banned
I have one from EVGA coming in on thursday in NYC as well. I'm still thinking about it but I'll be willing to sell it at cost. $720.07 local pick up in Midtown.

Haha. what?

Selling a second card at cost is a desperate act? I thought that was pretty good if anyone is interested.

just japes my mans
props for offering to sell here

dang this card coming out right when tax refunds hit
ima wait & see how the Andromeda trial runs on my current setup before i get serious w/hunting one down

Qassim

Put a pre-order in for an MSI Gaming X model. Have an MSI Gaming 980 Ti and have been very happy with it. Being able to put a pre-order in for it should hopefully net me one early on, but I'm not against trying to swap my order for another model if others become available earlier on.

Think we're expecting them mid to late April, but who knows.. I'm not in a massive rush at the moment, but it is a shame I'll miss Mass Effect with it - I'd have likely finished it by the time I get my 1080 Ti :(

Aeana

I got mine today, and I'm very pleased with the results even on my 3570K (before someone has an aneurysm like the guy in the last thread, I'm upgrading the CPU). It's definitely hot though. Mine's idling at about 38C and in Witcher 3 on ultra at 1440p/60 FPS, it was sitting around 79C.

Top Bottom