• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti launch/review day - 2017/03/09

Smokey

I got the auto rush and bumped the shipping up to...two day I think?

It's been in packaging since yesterday afternoon, estimated ship date is Monday. Hope that means I'll get it Wednesday.

Other forums and folks who did next day delivery are reporting same thing as me. Guess everybody's cards are going out Monday regardless. Weekend killer but I'm getting refunded the overnight charges etc. Hopefully it's here Tues....

Norik

Neo Member
Watching videos of people putting after market coolers on their 1080 TIs i was thinking of trying it but seems like a daunting task.

Grassy

Installed the hybrid cooler from my 980ti onto the 1080ti. First time messing with installing a different GPU cooling system myself, but everything went smoothly.

Max core clock so far is 2063Mhz and temp hasn't gone over 38C :)

Damn that's awesome that the 980 Ti Hybrid cooler will fit on the 1080 Ti, I presume it was just a straight fit with no modifying? Do all the screw holes line up?

Damn that's awesome that the 980 Ti Hybrid cooler will fit on the 1080 Ti, I presume it was just a straight fit with no modifying? Do all the screw holes line up?

You have to mod the shroud if you care about putting it back on, but I don't. So yea no modding at all for what I did.

badb0y

Ordered my GTX 1080 Ti and a waterblock, now we wait for next week.

EDIT: OMG we about to get hit by a storm in NYC, I might not get my card until later in the week... I paid for 2 day shipping doe

Demigod Mac

No
overwatch.jpg

Darn... Perhaps two 1080 Ti's in SLI could handle it? (Overwatch 4K @ 120 fps, max settings)

Xyber

Darn... Perhaps two 1080 Ti's in SLI could handle it? (Overwatch 4K @ 120 fps, max settings)

Or you know, do the smart thing and turn down a few settings which have almost no impact on the graphical fidelity of the game anyway. :p

I can't wait for the day we can comfortably run games at 4K 120Hz on one GPU, but right now 1440p 165Hz is where I will be at for at least another 4-5 years.

Grassy

I see a lot of people are interested in the EVGA FTW3.
Wouldn't a hybrid model be more desirable?

Hybrid models cost more and can be a pain to mount if your case isn't big enough or designed for multiple radiators. They also tend to not produce as many of them as regular models, so they can be hard to obtain.

I ordered two Hybrid kits for my 980 Ti's in June 2015 when they appeared on Amazon, and I didn't receive them until September.

Watching videos of people putting after market coolers on their 1080 TIs i was thinking of trying it but seems like a daunting task.

It's really not that difficult. I just installed a hybrid kit from evga for my 1070. I saw I could put it on a Titan x with some modifications, so I figured I'll use it down the line when I pickup a 1080ti. Just watch some videos and then follow the directions and you'll be fine.

Hybrid models cost more and can be a pain to mount if your case isn't big enough or designed for multiple radiators. They also tend to not produce as many of them as regular models, so they can be hard to obtain.

I ordered two Hybrid kits for my 980 Ti's in June 2015 when they appeared on Amazon, and I didn't receive them until September.

I have found that the hybrids are usually not as long as the top custom air cooled cards which makes it easier to mount. For example my old 980ti hybrid fit in my case without moving anything around where as a 980 classified I had to take some fans off my front mounted aio.

Renekton

Other forums and folks who did next day delivery are reporting same thing as me. Guess everybody's cards are going out Monday regardless. Weekend killer but I'm getting refunded the overnight charges etc. Hopefully it's here Tues....
You're only getting one right? :D

Kevin

So what are some really cool tech demos that I can try with a 1080ti? Looking for stuff like this:

Epic-Games-Kite-Demo-672x372.jpg

Any other high end demanding tech demos available to download?

Paragon

I see a lot of people are interested in the EVGA FTW3.
Wouldn't a hybrid model be more desirable?
Hybrid coolers can be a pain to install in many cases, and some people are still quite hesitant to install water cooling.

Worst case scenario with an air-cooled card is that a fan fails and it runs hot/throttles.
Worst case scenario with water cooling is that it leaks and kills your PC.

Water cooling can result in much lower temperatures - especially for video cards - but I have such bad luck with hardware as it is, that I'm very hesitant to use closed-loop watercooling, or build a watercooled PC.
I'd really like to build a custom water-cooled system though. It seems like a much more efficient way of cooling all your hardware.
Having multiple closed-loop coolers seems far less efficient.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
So everybody is supposed to get For Honor or Ghost Recon with one of these. So basically you can only sell it to another person with a Ti but obviously if you tried to that person would have gotten the same deal so therefore it's impossible to sell it? Dammit. Can't even give it out for free either by that same logic.

Kevin

So everybody is supposed to get For Honor or Ghost Recon with one of these. So basically you can only sell it to another person with a Ti but obviously if you tried to that person would have gotten the same deal so therefore it's impossible to sell it? Dammit. Can't even give it out for free either by that same logic.

Whats the better game out of those two?

Zen Aku

When do they even change the game?

Once every 2-3 months? They usually wait close to a high profile game is about to launch that has some sort of Nvidia feature baked in.

I remember the good ol days when I got the Witcher 3 and Batman Arkham Knight for free cause of the GTX 970, then later because Arkham Knight was such a shitty port. I ended up with the Phantom Pain for free too.

Sarcasm

Once every 2-3 months? They usually wait close to a high profile game is about to launch that has some sort of Nvidia feature baked in.

I remember the good ol days when I got the Witcher 3 and Batman Arkham Knight for free cause of the GTX 970, then later because Arkham Knight was such a shitty port. I ended up with the Phantom Pain for free too.

Only works with a new purchase and only for a couple months right?

laxu

Hybrid coolers can be a pain to install in many cases, and some people are still quite hesitant to install water cooling.

Worst case scenario with an air-cooled card is that a fan fails and it runs hot/throttles.
Worst case scenario with water cooling is that it leaks and kills your PC.

Water cooling can result in much lower temperatures - especially for video cards - but I have such bad luck with hardware as it is, that I'm very hesitant to use closed-loop watercooling, or build a watercooled PC.
I'd really like to build a custom water-cooled system though. It seems like a much more efficient way of cooling all your hardware.
Having multiple closed-loop coolers seems far less efficient.

Multiple close loop coolers would be in theory more efficient because they only cool one part whereas a custom loop cools both CPU and GPU. Where this falls flat is that usually AIO coolers use a 120 or 140mm radiator whereas custom loops are typically 240 to 360mm size so the end result is pretty much even except the custom loop has more efficiently placed pipes.

I used to run a full custom loop before water cooling parts became as easily available as they are nowadays and it was a lot of hassle whenever you upgraded. Because of changing CPU/GPU cooler mountings you often had to either replace a block or develop a new bracket for it so it can be mounted properly. It started to get expensive and the setup I had could not even fit inside my case so eventually I just moved back to air coolers, which nowadays perform really well for CPUs and are quiet. I have had some leaks but only during installation phase of my first watercooling setup (remember this was very much DIY parts back then). Soaked a motherboard but letting it dry it worked fine for several years. Leaks are unlikely to be a problem as long as you assemble the setup correctly and tighten everything up well. You can test for leaks without having the whole setup mounted inside your case so it's safe.

I have found a combination of CPU air cooler and a AIO watercooler for the GPU to be perfect. It is a lot less expensive than full water blocks for the GPU (which can typically add about 100 euros on top of the price of a new graphics card as they are model specific) and only thing you need to worry about is choosing a card that comes with adequate cooling for the VRAM and VRM. I paid something like 70 euros for my Corsair H55 cooler + NZXT G10 bracket and I believe I could easily move it from my 980 Ti to a MSI 1080 Ti when it becomes available. The MSI cards have separate plates and heatsinks for VRM/VRAM cooling so removing the stock cooler doesn't hurt cooling of those. Compared to the stock cooler I achieved higher stable clocks and much lower noise levels on load.

So for water cooling, fe and aftermarket kit are better?

There will probably be more options for the FE simply because most ti's sold will be based on it.

However, something like the 1080ti classified which will be made with water cooling in mind and will have better power delivery which could help push the cards performance past a water cooled FE. You'll have less options (a hybrid kit probably won't work without major mods), but the options you do have will be pretty awesome.

So if you are not so experienced with water, going FE might be better. Hybrids are so much easier to assemble than a full open loop. But if you have a lot of experience with water cooling, you'll want to get a higher end model.

Kevin

^ Which FPS counter do you use to get all those stats in purple? I always see that but don't know what the program is.

Zen Aku

Only works with a new purchase and only for a couple months right?
Yes. Though beware I think they changed the rules now. Back then let's say if someone bought a GPU, you can redeem their free game. That's why there are people selling their free games on GAF. But now I think it's locked to the card itself. So no more reselling.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
So I think I'm definitely going to buy one. I've basically committed to the Nvidia ecosystem due to g-sync, but I don't mind. What I'm going to do is wait for the non-FE cards to drop, see what some of the OC potential is like and go from there. Ideally pick up that gsync hdr 4k monitor in june/july and yeah.

Zen Aku

So I think I'm definitely going to buy one. I've basically committed to the Nvidia ecosystem due to g-sync, but I don't mind. What I'm going to do is wait for the non-FE cards to drop, see what some of the OC potential is like and go from there. Ideally pick up that gsync hdr 4k monitor in june/july and yeah.

I hope you will post pictures and impression of that monitor. Cause I wish I have $2000 to throw down on a monitor.

Kevin

So what is better to use for a 4K monitor? HDMI 2.0b or Display port? I am confused as to why these cards have three display ports and only a single HDMI port.

I think I am finally done with OC tweaking/benching.

Voltage +55
Power +120
Core +160 (2063Mhz)
Mem +500 (6003Mhz)

All with a max temp of 38C (PC in basement / ambient temps ~20F / 980ti hybrid cooler on)

laxu

So what is better to use for a 4K monitor? HDMI 2.0b or Display port? I am confused as to why these cards have three display ports and only a single HDMI port.

For shorter cable lengths Displayport, for longer ones HDMI (over 3 meters). Displayport in my experience has less handshake issues compared to HDMI. HDMI does support longer cable lengths though. Displayport is starting to be the de-facto port for desktop displays but can also be made to do different legacy connections when using adapters. That's why there's more DP than HDMI.

Nvidia FE order and the EVGA FE from Newegg both arriving on Wednesday.

Newegg only offers a replacement on the EVGA card, so I guess that's the one I will be keeping.

Need to figure out what to do with the card from the Nvidia store. Return or sell to someone locally.

Weevilone

If you want to do UHD movies at some point will need to be HDMI I think, for HDCP 2.2.

Yawnny

ALL MAXXXXXXXXXX!
Anyone smart will put few settings from MAX to very high to get much better fps and barely see any difference in details.

Anyone smart just sounds flippant, and barely see any difference in details is a tad subjective.

Those two things aside, it's more of an obsessive compulsive behavioral thing to have all settings maxed out. Especially when there might be one part of a 30 hour game that really shows off, say, Ambient Occlusion really well and the max settings really adds that little something extra.

Don't get me wrong I do believe there are certainly diminishing returns when it comes to graphics settings.

I think I am finally done with OC tweaking/benching.

Voltage +55
Power +120
Core +160 (2063Mhz)
Mem +500 (6003Mhz)

All with a max temp of 38C (PC in basement / ambient temps ~20F / 980ti hybrid cooler on)

Your ambient temps are 20 deg F? Im going to assume you meant C. But awesome job with putting the hybrid cooler on there. Interested to see what your FS scores are.

Top Bottom