• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti launch/review day - 2017/03/09

Smokey

So update on my 1080ti situation...

Recap -- I ordered an EVGA 1080ti when they went on sale on Friday at Newegg. I paid for next day delivery + saturday delivery, and being a Newegg Premiere member, rush processing was free.

I still haven't received my card and the tracking status has not changed from 'Label Created'.

After much back and forth between Newegg customer reps and DMs on Twitter, they are launching an investigation, and opened a claim on my behalf. Nobody knows where the package is. Fedex claims they never received it from the vendor, and Newegg makes some excuse also blaming the warehouse.

I spoke with a manager today and he asked that I give him until Wed to resolve this. I'm not the only one either. I know for a fact on another board I visit that at least 5 of us are in the same boat. All EVGA cards. All Next Day Delivery. I did ask for a refund for the shipping charges, and that was initiated. At this point I'm sitting here playing the wait game. This is ridiculous and brings into question if I'll use Newegg again for a high dollar item in the future.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
The 1070 and 1080 are having the For Honor and Ghost Recon freebie, does that mean 1080 Ti buyers can sell the games to people already having those cards before the fact?

kuYuri

The 1070 and 1080 are having the For Honor and Ghost Recon freebie, does that mean 1080 Ti buyers can sell the games to people already having those cards before the fact?

Nope. Nvidia recently changed it so that the codes that come with the GPU will only redeem to that specific GPU series. For example, if you buy a 1080 Ti, but give the code to someone with a 1080, the code will not redeem on the 1080. That person must have a 1080 Ti installed before the code will redeem. It doesnt have to be that specific 1080 Ti model, but it must be a 1080 Ti that's installed.

SliChillax

Recap -- I ordered an EVGA 1080ti when they went on sale on Friday at Newegg. I paid for next day delivery + saturday delivery, and being a Newegg Premiere member, rush processing was free.

I still haven't received my card and the tracking status has not changed from 'Label Created'.

After much back and forth between Newegg customer reps and DMs on Twitter, they are launching an investigation, and opened a claim on my behalf. Nobody knows where the package is. Fedex claims they never received it from the vendor, and Newegg makes some excuse also blaming the warehouse.

I spoke with a manager today and he asked that I give him until Wed to resolve this. I'm not the only one either. I know for a fact on another board I visit that at least 5 of us are in the same boat. All EVGA cards. All Next Day Delivery. I did ask for a refund for the shipping charges, and that was initiated. At this point I'm sitting here playing the wait game. This is ridiculous and brings into question if I'll use Newegg again for a high dollar item in the future.
I'm not surprised, it's not the first time I hear stories like this from Newegg. I've never used it and never will.

Vossler

I also ordered from newegg on Friday - EVGA - and I'm still in the packing state. Spoke with them today and they stated it should ship tomorrow. I optioned for 3 day shipping, so fingers crossed. I've never had a problem with them before.

gdt

Hmm damn you are scaring me. I got the PNY version from newegg. I didn't do next day (think I did 2 day) and all weekend it was in packaging. But it "shipped" this morning and since 8:23 am it's been under "label created" as well. No movement since.

Smokey

I'm not surprised, it's not the first time I hear stories like this from Newegg. I've never used it and never will.

I've never had a problem with them up until this point and I've ordered multiple GPUs and other items from them over the years. They offer no tax and the free 3 day shipping really ends up being 2 day because of the automatic rush processing as a Premiere member.

Hmm damn you are scaring me. I got the PNY version from newegg. I didn't do next day (think I did 2 day) and all weekend it was in packaging. But it "shipped" this morning and since 8:23 am it's been under "label created" as well. No movement since.

Just trying to make folks be aware of what's going on since this is a review/availability thread. I'd keep an eye on it.

badb0y

Ordered my card (Zotac) from Newegg on Saturday, paid for 2 day shipping, and my card shipped out already. Expected delivery is Wednesday but I don't expect them to deliver until Thursday due to the storm. Are all you guys with problems buying EVGA cards?

Smokey

Ordered my card (Zotac) from Newegg on Saturday, paid for 2 day shipping, and my card shipped out already. Expected delivery is Wednesday but I don't expect them to deliver until Thursday due to the storm. Are all you guys with problems buying EVGA cards?

Yep. The group I've met up with on another board and I all ordered EVGAs. Another user ordered PNY and did the exact shipping as us, and received his as expected on Saturday.

Vossler

Yep. The group I've met up with on another board and I all ordered EVGAs. Another user ordered PNY and did the exact shipping as us, and received his as expected on Saturday.

Were you guys all next day shipping? I grabbed mine around 530PM Central time Friday night.

Vossler

I'll keep the thread updated -- but they did say due to me not being premier the processing would be 1-2 business days - so tomorrow it should ship.

badb0y

Ah damn that sucks, hope it gets resolved for you guys soon.

Lime

I got mine today, and I'm very pleased with the results even on my 3570K (before someone has an aneurysm like the guy in the last thread, I'm upgrading the CPU). It's definitely hot though. Mine's idling at about 38C and in Witcher 3 on ultra at 1440p/60 FPS, it was sitting around 79C.

What if you play at 4K?

gdt

FedEx is still "label created" since yesterday 8am.

Butttt I remember that Fedex with always leaves that as a delivery status until I get some major update which then shows where it's been and that it's about to deliver.

Maybe the snow is jut slowing them down....even though presumably it's inside a warehouse right now...

Sarcasm

If I buy a EVGA GTX 1080ti, can you use the step up for say like FTW or SC? I need a new GPU.

Wondering if I should get the water cooling kit for it. (What about my CPU too lol)

dr_rus

ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1080 Ti OC specifications revealed

ASUS-STRIX-GTX-1080-Ti-Specs-1000x563.jpg

Skyr

Hm I was hoping for a bit more boost clock from the STRIX.
But let's see how far reviewers will be able to push it.

paskowitz

If you are going to wait for an AIB card, might as well wait for the EVGA FTW3 or Hybrid. Considering how sensitive GPU Boost 3.0 is to temps, the Hybrid will likely be the best performing card out of the box.

Also, those begrudging my choice to scalp on eBay... I won't be doing that.

If you are going to wait for an AIB card, might as well wait for the EVGA FTW3 or Hybrid. Considering how sensitive GPU Boost 3.0 is to temps, the Hybrid will likely be the best performing card out of the box.

Also, those begrudging my choice to scalp on eBay... I won't be doing that.

Personally you shouldn't give a shit about those who are hating on scalping, no one is putting food on your table except for you, that being said you shouldn't have mentioned it here :p

"40% thicker than the previous model"
Looks like a great card. I'm going to continue to hold out for the evga ftw3 though.

I'm still weighing my options on the 1080ti, and was waiting for the Strix personally (mainly because I've liked my 970 Strix). I don't have a large pool of knowledge on video cards though. May I ask what is convincing you to wait?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Common sense tells me to wait for an EVGA card since it offers international warranty, but I know I'll be wrestling with impatience once Amazon begins accepting international orders (none of the FEs it has been selling are AmazonGlobal-eligible).

paskowitz

I'm still weighing my options on the 1080ti, and was waiting for the Strix personally (mainly because I've liked my 970 Strix). I don't have a large pool of knowledge on video cards though. May I ask what is convincing you to wait?

Really it's all a matter of aesthetics. If you don't have an ROG board, the Strix can look a little out of place. EVGA blends in the best IMO.

Celcius

°Temp. member

Evga's customer service is excellent and I'm also interested in the ICX features. I'm thinking that both should perform & sound similarly though.
http://www.evga.com/articles/01084/evga-icx/ (not the Ti here but explains icx features)

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Honestly I'm not caring too hard about aesthetics. I think the founders editions look really great, but I'm trying to nab the first custom card with better cooling on it.

Anyone know what the soonest announced date for a custom card is? May or whenever for that EVGA is tooooo long.

I'll snatch the Asus Strix right up. When compared to the reference models, I'm sure it will be a massive improvement. Cards like the FTW3 will be a bit better cooled, maybe a bit quieter but overclocking will be subject to the same silicon lottery.

Yawnny

So does everyone here that's buying the card as soon as it came out have really good willpower and saved up all there hard earned real money or is it all credit card?

I have so much problems saving up even $800 because there's other items to buy on the way there. I see so many people that managed to save their humble dollars and it makes me jealous, but I'm not going back to credit card debt.

God forbid I ever have the superhuman patience to save for a 4K OLED.

So does everyone here that's buying the card as soon as it came out have really good willpower and saved up all there hard earned real money or is it all credit card?

I have so much problems saving up even $800 because there's other items to buy on the way there. I see so many people that managed to save their humble dollars and it makes me jealous, but I'm not going back to credit card debt.

God forbid I ever have the superhuman patience to save for a 4K OLED.

Tax returns for me. I got married last year so I ended up getting back more than i was anticipating. Came at a perfect time honestly as I would have paid the cash out of pocket if it had released at the time the other TI released.

I'm just waiting for the STRIX or Gaming X to release first.

Thank you for the kind replies. Sounds like either card is a good choice, just a matter of getting some dates and prices announced. The bigger issue is replacing my monitor. That research has been giving me headaches for a couple weeks now.

Kevin

The Asus one looks tasty. Wish we knew the price and release date.

How's the quality of Asus in general when it comes to graphics cards? How are their warranties/customer service?

Would have considered waiting in May for the EVGA FTW3 but my brother is visiting in Mid April and I am selling him my 980ti.

Vossler

So update on my EVGA - it now says shipped with a tracking number and an arrival date of Friday -- Fingers crossed.

Also - I do now have my game key.

jrcbandit

I wonder how the temperature/sound levels will be on the AIB Ti's, especially the EVGA FTW3? I already have a 1080 with a Hybrid kit and I am playing games on a 4k 40 inch TV. I kind of want a Ti for 4k, but I'm not sure what to do with the upgrade. Selling my old 1080 will be MUCH easier (price and convenience) if I keep the hybrid kit on it, but I am not sure if I want to go back to normal cooling. The FE will probably be easiest to hybrid cool, but those are all sold out now, best chance at a card will be right when they initially go on sale (or wait 4-6 months....). I might forgo hybrid/water cooling all together but I hated how loud the ACX 3.0 cooler got for mediocre cooling results. The iCX 3 fan cooler on the FTW3 does look enticing but not if it still results in 70+ C temps and boost downclocking with loud fan noise ;p.

samar11

So I just ordered the MSI founders edition.
Quick question, is there a significant performance gap between FE and the other versions coming out later (not sure what they are called, OC versions, third party ?)
Cheers

REDSLATE

I still haven't received my card and the tracking status has not changed from 'Label Created'...

Mine haven't had a tracking update since Saturday, and I preordered the first batch directly from NVIDIA (03 MAR). Just fucking chill. First-World problems...

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
What's the highest OC so far?

Top Bottom