• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti launch/review day - 2017/03/09

Arkanius

ASUS GTX 1080 Ti Strix OC 11 GB review

fannoise_load.png

temp.png

Asus is ok, will probably end up being in the middle of the bunch.

Should probably wait for other reviews as well. Noise measurements can be tricky.

Almost as loud as a FURY X which is watercooled.
That is definitely amazing.
How did they do that?

Last time Sapphire managed that on air cooling was by making the card longer and having the heatsink go further than the size of the card.

My FE from Nvidia should be here tomorrow.

My EVGA FE from Newegg left Friday and there has been no update since then. It was supposed to be here today, but was delayed because of the storm.

Hoping they both get here tomorrow.

Anyone have the EVGA powerlink? Picking one up today.

Skyr

Wow the STRIX looks really really good so far. Will definitely consider it.

I will wait for MSI and EVGA reviews to drop tho before I make my decision.

I currently have a GTX 970 and am still very much willing to upgrade this year. Should I go with the 1080 Ti, or do you think I would get more value out of waiting for possibly Vega (which could be cheaper than the 1080 Ti, but still have great performance) or wait for the HBM2 Nvidia cards (if they are coming out later this year)? What do you guys think?

I'm also really interested in the Asus PG27UQ for a G-sync monitor.

prophecy0

The 1080 Ti dropping below 60fps (even worse than the 980 Ti sometimes?) have me worried.

Like others have said, I wouldn't worry too much about this. The RotTR benchmark seems fairly buggy anyway. It has lots of noticeable geometry pop-in on both cards (as in, objects appear right in front of the camera).

What's the clockspeeds of your 980Ti?
This is per 3dMark. I can't remember for sure what I had the boost clocks set at. I think it was around +200 on the core and +300 on memory.

FLDsdsB.png

dr_rus

Almost as loud as a FURY X which is watercooled.
That is definitely amazing.
How did they do that?

Last time Sapphire managed that on air cooling was by making the card longer and having the heatsink go further than the size of the card.

My current air cooled 1080 is actually noticeably more quiet than Fury X:

fannoise_load.png

just got an update directly from amazon via email

Your new estimated delivery date is: Monday, March 20, 2017

Your shipping speed:
Two-Day Shipping

this is for EVGA model. question, can I step up to ftw3 when that drops?

just got an update directly from amazon via email

Your new estimated delivery date is: Monday, March 20, 2017

Your shipping speed:
Two-Day Shipping

this is for EVGA model. question, can I step up to ftw3 when that drops?
I got that email too. I wonder if I upgrade to one-way shipping if it will get here on Saturday or Sunday.

Probably won't be able to upgrade to the FTW but maybe the SC model

I got that email too. I wonder if I upgrade to one-way shipping if it will get here on Saturday or Sunday.

Probably won't be able to upgrade to the FTW but maybe the SC model

just got off live chat and they said FE can't be upgraded to SC model either, only reference, and they haven't announced a reference model

fuck what do i do

just got off live chat and they said FE can't be upgraded to SC model either, only reference, and they haven't announced a reference model

fuck what do i do
Guess it depends on how bad you want it and what kind of case you have. I have a small case and don't plan on overclocking so I would probably be ok with the reference

We're writing to let you know that your order has been successfully canceled.

the wait continues :<

If it makes you feel any better, I'm probably going to do the same thing as well. I sold my 980Ti and honestly, while I want a PC, I don't play it anymore really since I've moved and my setup is less than ideal, especially the incredible amounts of heat that a PC puts out.

Durante

I knew it was him before even going to look. He always has 4 of whatever the latest and greatest is. And I don't even know why. Isn't 4-way SLI basically shit?
I don't think there's a game released in the past 3 years where it's actually better than 2-way SLI.

Maybe if you're trying to push 3*4k or something and play a game that scales well.
And even then with AFR the input lag would be horrible.

Edit: I forgot that starting with Pascal it's not a matter of being bad, it's simply a matter of not being supported in games period.

Smokey

I knew it was him before even going to look. He always has 4 of whatever the latest and greatest is. And I don't even know why. Isn't 4-way SLI basically shit?

2+ isn't supported by NVIDIA in gaming, but they work in benchmarking. When I had 3 cards the support at that time was eh, so I imagine that's why NVIDIA offcially pulled support for it while gaming.

iirc he also plays at 5k or some ridiculous resolution beyond that.

Wag

2+ isn't supported by NVIDIA in gaming, but they work in benchmarking. When I had 3 cards the support at that time was eh, so I imagine that's why NVIDIA offcially pulled support for it while gaming.

iirc he also plays at 5k or some ridiculous resolution beyond that.

Before the 1080 it was. I have 3 980Tis. Not supported anymore so I'm going to upgrade to 2 1080Tis eventually.

As someone who games in SLi for the better part of a decade, I'd say it ain't worth it unless you have multi monitor setups or just want the e-peen.

It was fun playing at 3200x1800 when all my friends had their PS3s though.

Newboi

Doesn't TAA, which most games use nowadays, require data from the previous frame, which makes AFR impossible (most SLI profiles mainly use variations of AFR right)? I remember listening to Nvidia about how many modern high-end affects require inter-frame dependencies to function correctly, and for performance, which makes traditional SLI methods harder and harder to implement, or get large performance gains from (I assume this is way they limited it to 2 cards).

Does the rendering engine being forward or deferred have an impact on potential SLI performance as well?

Anyway, though I don't have a 4K monitor, I love downsampling from 4K as the image quality is beautifully pristine. I generally found that 1.7 resolution scale usually delivers extremely nice downsampling results without being as performance demolishing as 4K. My GTX1080 is more than good enough for me right now.

Seeing the new pricing structure for these cards though makes me think that the Ti cards will be the only way to go going forward, as long as they aren't selling for over $900.

Wag

I have 3 EVGA ACX 2.0+ 980Tis. What's the best way to sell these? seperately or 2/3 together? Auction or buy now ($300/ea?).

Kevin

I have 3 EVGA ACX 2.0+ 980Tis. What's the best way to sell these? seperately or 2/3 together? Auction or buy now ($300/ea?).

If you have time and patients, I'd say individually auction them. If time isn't on your side then maybe do a buy it now for maybe $300, listing a quanity of 3.

Before the 1080 it was. I have 3 980Tis. Not supported anymore so I'm going to upgrade to 2 1080Tis eventually.

I had two 980tis and just went with a single Titan Xp when it launched.

All I'm playing is VR really, and unless sli-VR magically re-appears or gets wide support, I'll never go back to SLI again (even though in many games it proved to be a great advantage).

dr_rus

Doesn't TAA, which most games use nowadays, require data from the previous frame, which makes AFR impossible (most SLI profiles mainly use variations of AFR right)?

It's impossible only when TAA is implemented in a way which makes AFR impossible. There are ways of implementing temporal effects which are compatible with AFR, but it means that game developers must consciously use them when developing the engine. Some don't and thus sometimes we have titles with no SLI/CF support.

Kambing

Newegg has the Gigabyte in stock, just bought one. Anyone have experience with Gigabyte? Don't want to wait any longer

dr_rus

Newegg has the Gigabyte in stock, just bought one. Anyone have experience with Gigabyte? Don't want to wait any longer

All references are the same, made on the same factory and the only different part about them is the packaging and warranty provider.

My monitor doesn't have displayport so I just wanna be sure, the displayport to DVI adapter isn't gonna cause any kind of problems right? I can still downsample at 120Hz?

Kambing

All references are the same, made on the same factory and the only different part about them is the packaging and warranty provider.

Lol appreciate the response -- only laughing, at myself to boot, because clearly marketing has skewed my perception. Oh how sad that is!

Lol appreciate the response -- only laughing, at myself to boot, because clearly marketing has skewed my perception. Oh how sad that is!

A local store had a few PNY cards in stock a couple hours ago, one of which I held in my hands for about a minute before handing it back to the sales person because, you know, PNY isn't EVGA.

Now I'm sorta mad about letting it go so easily like that. Had I been wiser, I could've walked outta there with one. :p

Celcius

°Temp. member
You know how some video cards display a brief bios screen during POST, before the motherboard bios screen?
Those of you who bought a card directly from nvidia, does it do this?
I've never had an evga card do this but I have used a pny (gtx 1050) in a build that did this so just wanted to ask.

Belmire

You know how some video cards display a brief bios screen during POST, before the motherboard bios screen?
Those of you who bought a card directly from nvidia, does it do this?
I've never had an evga card do this but I have used a pny (gtx 1050) in a build that did this so just wanted to ask.

Every card is different. It's common the have the VGA bios appear before the board bios. And no, the cards directly from Nvidia don't show a bios screen on boot.

twisted89

There seems to be very little info out about the upcoming custom cards but thinking of placing a pre-order to try and get in early. What would you guys suggest is the best make/brand to go with? Or are they pretty much all the same?

Looking at https://www.overclockers.co.uk/giga...dr5x-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-001-au.html
but my current Zotac 980TI has similar fans and isn't the quietest, anyone had experience with/would recommend cards with closed loop water cooling? Like
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/inno...raphics-card-c108tb-1sdn-q6mnx-gx-06u-in.html

Top Bottom