• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti launch/review day - 2017/03/09

Jin

I played around with the Strix for about a day. My results:

Core Voltage +50
Clock +50 (1987Mhz)
Memory +300 (any higher is unstable in Heaven Benchmark, need more testing)
Max Temp 71c
Max fan speed 49%

Sometimes my core would go to 2000mhz but it stays stable mostly at 1987Mhz. I could probably break 2K but I would have to increase my fan speed. I do like how quiet it is though and not sure if a extra 50mhz is worth the noise.

Mass Effect Andromeda is getting average 90ish fps@1440p all max on the desert planet. Sometimes it goes down to 80's and sometimes to 100's depending on what's on screen. GTAV all max, no aa I get 100+fps with dips to 80's in grass heavy area (grass is on Ultra) For games that's lock to 60fps like Dark Souls 3 the fan barely spins up. Highest was 18%.

I've also replace the thermal paste. It's super easy since you only had to remove four screws in the back. Not sure if it made a difference since I did that as soon as I got the card.

I can't unlock voltage controls in Afterburner for whatever reason.

To unlock voltage you have to edit a file in Afterburner folder to add your card model's ID to it.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1625653/...der-in-afterburner-working-on-a-1080-ti/0_100

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Alright. I'm allowing myself to ask a crazy question.

I game at 1440p w/ G-Sync on a 980Ti. Is upgrading to a 1080Ti worth it?

Alright. I'm allowing myself to ask a crazy question.

I game at 1440p w/ G-Sync on a 980Ti. Is upgrading to a 1080Ti worth it?

Coming from a 980 Ti myself (although I'm on a 1440p UltraWide), it really all depends what "worth it" means to you. You'll be getting close to 2x the frame rate in all games. Is getting 100+ FPS @1440p in even the most demanding games important to you? If so, yes, it's worth it.

I played around with the Strix for about a day. My results:

Core Voltage +50
Clock +50 (1987Mhz)
Memory +300 (any higher is unstable in Heaven Benchmark, need more testing)
Max Temp 71c
Max fan speed 49%

Sometimes my core would go to 2000mhz but it stays stable mostly at 1987Mhz. I could probably break 2K but I would have to increase my fan speed. I do like how quiet it is though and not sure if a extra 50mhz is worth the noise.

Mass Effect Andromeda is getting average 90ish fps@1440p all max on the desert planet. Sometimes it goes down to 80's and sometimes to 100's depending on what's on screen. GTAV all max, no aa I get 100+fps with dips to 80's in grass heavy area (grass is on Ultra) For games that's lock to 60fps like Dark Souls 3 the fan barely spins up. Highest was 18%.

I've also replace the thermal paste. It's super easy since you only had to remove four screws in the back. Not sure if it made a difference since I did that as soon as I got the card.

To unlock voltage you have to edit a file in Afterburner folder to add your card model's ID to it.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1625653/...der-in-afterburner-working-on-a-1080-ti/0_100

Pretty good temps. What is your ambient temp?

I didn't measure the ambient temp. I live in SoCal if that matters though. Once summer hits it's gonna be hot as hell.

I'm in SoCal as well. Wonder how hot it's going to be this summer. Last summer was the hottest I can remember.

Going to try and do some Aorus Xtreme testing tonight and see how it fares versus what I've seen from the STRIX and Gaming X. It obviously won't be 1:1 but it'll give me a good idea.

Keep seeing reviews saying the STRIX only gets up to 65 but only a few reviews have noted their room temps are 19-20 which is pretty cool considering.

Kevin

I'm still trying like hell to get a card before April 20th but don't think I will be able to get any of the ones I want. Right now trying to get a Strix or Aorus card but they are always sold out. Lame! Pretty sure Newegg gets like 2 a week.

Evo X

Hey guys. I've currently got a Titan X Pascal that I picked up at launch last year.

Thinking about switching to a 1080Ti with two HDMI outputs so I can hook up my 4K OLED and Vive at the same time without dealing with converters.

Is ASUS Strix my only option?

kuYuri

Hey guys. I've currently got a Titan X Pascal that I picked up at launch last year.

Thinking about switching to a 1080Ti with two HDMI outputs so I can hook up my 4K OLED and Vive at the same time without dealing with converters.

Nope, MSI Gaming X now has two HDMI as well.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Coming from a 980 Ti myself (although I'm on a 1440p UltraWide), it really all depends what "worth it" means to you. You'll be getting close to 2x the frame rate in all games. Is getting 100+ FPS @1440p in even the most demanding games important to you? If so, yes, it's worth it.

T-T Sounds so good...

Aorus has 2 X HDMI as well

Pagusas

Elden Member

You know the make adapters that work without any conversion or issue, right?

First Aorus Xtreme review is up.

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Gigabyte/GTX_1080_Ti_Xtreme_Gaming/

Looks like this is the card to get personally. Will be installing this thing when I get home ASAP!

Nice!! It looks like it's either this or the Asus OC one then. I'm getting the one newegg restock first. The gigabyte card looks ugly imo but I can live with it if it's quiet. Should I buy a video card support for it since it looks pretty beefy and heavy? If so which one do you guys recommend?

Edit: I just though it'd be funny if I use a small action figure underneath to keep the card from sagging lol maybe I'll buy a the rock action figure.

jaaz

Just tried Witcher 3 (at Novigrad) on my new Strix 1080 ti OC. On an i7-6700k @4.5, I am getting 90-100 FPS at 2K, everything on Ultra including Hairworks at 8. Without Hairworks, FPS jumps to between 100-110 FPS. For comparison, on my Strix 980 ti, I was getting around 50 FPS in the same area. So it appears I'm getting a performance jump of just about double.

At 4k down-sampled to 2k, I get 55-60 on Ultra with hairworks and 60-65 without hairworks.

Max temperatures during these tests were between 71-73C, but I didn't play very long. Forgot to look at fan speed. This was using OC setting in the Asus GPU Tweak II.

Nice!! It looks like it's either this or the Asus OC one then. I'm getting the one newegg restock first. The gigabyte card looks ugly imo but I can live with it if it's quiet. Should I buy a video card support for it since it looks pretty beefy and heavy? If so which one do you guys recommend?

Edit: I just though it'd be funny if I use a small action figure underneath to keep the card from sagging lol maybe I'll buy a the rock action figure.

Yeah it is a true 3 slot as opposed to other cards 2.5 slot. I don't think it will need support. Once I put it in I will see how much it actually sags.

Wallach

Got my STRIX OC up and running.

This thing is a beauty. Have not seen it break 70 yet in any benchmarks while under full load. Throttling be gone. Far, far quieter than the FE's blower at load, and actually silent below that because it'll just shut off the fans up until somewhere over 50c.

Now to find a new home for my FE.

Varna

Feel like a fool for not jumping on the Asus or Aorus when I saw them up for sale.

I'm a little confused on the availability of this card... I see plenty of FE available. Why are the others seemingly only available on Newegg in short amounts?

Feel like a fool for not jumping on the Asus or Aorus when I saw them up for sale.

I'm a little confused on the availability of this card... I see plenty of FE available. Why are the others seemingly only available on Newegg in short amounts?

Yeah same here. I was so set on getting the Asus one that I skipped buying the Auros one yesterday when it was in stock most of the day and now I'm regretting not jumping on it because of no reviews at the time.

Man I really need to get the 1080Ti. Three times the performance of my 780Ti at 1440p which is what I game on.

Drool...

I've never had more buyers remorse than buying the 780Ti though. What was I thinking with the 3GB of VRAM?

Celcius

°Temp. member
Man I really need to get the 1080Ti. Three times the performance of my 780Ti at 1440p which is what I game on.

Drool...

I've never had more buyers remorse than buying the 780Ti though. What was I thinking with the 3GB of VRAM?

It was a beast at the time and faster than the original Titan for $300 less. Many made the same choice, myself included.

Please help...

XtavSBc.jpg

I've read the the Aorus Xtreme cards were binned and I do have a Gigabyte mobo in my current build. Not that it matters too much.

I've heard the Aorus can raise it's power limit +50%. I'd go with that one.

It was a beast at the time and faster than the original Titan for $300 less. Many made the same choice, myself included.

Yeah I know but just over a year and a half later the 6GB 980Ti came out and was cheaper.

Felt more like a kidney shot but oh well. If the 780Ti had more vram it would have had a better life.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Sooo PCCG in Australia is unsure when the next influx of AORUS Xtreme Edition, but the have the standard AORUS in stock.

Any major difference I should be aware of? Lower guaranteed clocks, but I'm thinking I could probably grab a standard and hit the Xtreme clocks anyway.

Advice?

Got my STRIX OC up and running.

This thing is a beauty. Have not seen it break 70 yet in any benchmarks while under full load. Throttling be gone. Far, far quieter than the FE's blower at load, and actually silent below that because it'll just shut off the fans up until somewhere over 50c.

Now to find a new home for my FE.

You using a custom fan curve at all?

roMonster

For Canada:

Mikes computer shop has the msi gaming x and asus strix for pre-order. They're also $50 off the strix and $73 off the gaming x. The lowest prices ive found.

Gaming x is $1017.99...

This will be my first order with them--can anyone out there share their experiences?

Wallach

Doesn't feel too premium right now to be honest. When choosing the OC mode in their software for the card it crashes instantly in every game. I know silicon lottery and all that but pretty crappy either way.

Ouch. What clocks is it attempting in that setting? I heard that card can crank on the power draw.

Ouch. What clocks is it attempting in that setting? I heard that card can crank on the power draw.

Ill have to check later. I turned off my computer because I couldn't deal with it anymore haha.

I may end up buying a STRIX after all. Or play the RMA lottery.

longdi

Banned
Sooo PCCG in Australia is unsure when the next influx of AORUS Xtreme Edition, but the have the standard AORUS in stock.

Any major difference I should be aware of? Lower guaranteed clocks, but I'm thinking I could probably grab a standard and hit the Xtreme clocks anyway.

Advice?

Looks the same to me except for some back plate n lighting aesthetics. But they are big, heavy and saggy cards from what​i heard

longdi

Banned
Just tried Witcher 3 (at Novigrad) on my new Strix 1080 ti OC. On an i7-6700k @4.5, I am getting 90-100 FPS at 2K, everything on Ultra including Hairworks at 8. Without Hairworks, FPS jumps to between 100-110 FPS. For comparison, on my Strix 980 ti, I was getting around 50 FPS in the same area. So it appears I'm getting a performance jump of just about double.

At 4k down-sampled to 2k, I get 55-60 on Ultra with hairworks and 60-65 without hairworks.

Max temperatures during these tests were between 71-73C, but I didn't play very long. Forgot to look at fan speed. This was using OC setting in the Asus GPU Tweak II.

Damn im ordering one now. Twice the performance and twice the vram, i guess my 980ti cannot last till Volta

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Looks the same to me except for some back plate n lighting aesthetics. But they are big, heavy and saggy cards from what​i heard

Hmm, definitely dont want to damage the card due to weight stress.

Looks like they're still ~1 month away. Unless I'm missing something? PCCG has the non-Xtreme Edition in stock, so I'm wondering if it's worth waiting.

Kvik

Ah, if you're looking to get one right now, it's different story then. Personally I don't think the overclocking headroom is going to be huge, you can get the non-Extreme and probably can reach the same threshold as the Extreme, with a good airflow.

Top Bottom