• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti launch/review day - 2017/03/09

Please help...

XtavSBc.jpg

I've read the the Aorus Xtreme cards were binned and I do have a Gigabyte mobo in my current build. Not that it matters too much.

jrcbandit

Just ordered this:

msi_geforce_gtx_1080_ti_1489415746000_1324403.jpg

And this:

evga_400_hy_5388_b1_hybrid_all_in_one_geforce_titan_1491322844000_1331535.jpg

Should be here by Friday. Extremely excited.

They are really trying to sell the 1080 Ti hybrid kit for $160??? Wtf. You can get the 1080 kit for $119 anywhere and I was able to get it for $105 off Amazon three months back. Guess it went up in price again since so many people were buying it for the 1080 Ti lol. Just takes a dremel tool to cut/grind the backplate in 3 spots. Well the spot where you grind for the capacitors was a real pain, but the other 2 spots that you cut out were easy to do.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
What does "binned" mean? This terminology is new to me.

Just ordered this:

msi_geforce_gtx_1080_ti_1489415746000_1324403.jpg

And this:

evga_400_hy_5388_b1_hybrid_all_in_one_geforce_titan_1491322844000_1331535.jpg

Should be here by Friday. Extremely excited.

IMO that's easily the best "version" of these cards aside from actual water cooling. Temps at 100% load should land somewhere between 50-60C (overclocked), hot air gets ejected out of the case, and it's very quiet too. My FE runs at a stable 2,038Mhz at 80% fan speed, so with one of those I'll be getting all of that performance without having to put up with the noise. In any case, thanks for the heads up! I'll order one when they're back in stock

causan

I have been really happy with my EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE and ASUS PG279Q but I do notice I am not able to get a sold 60+ in Rise of the Tomb Raider and GTAV with everything on Ultra. Could it be my CPU or Memory bottlenecking me?

Here are my specs (also my CPU is overclocked to 4.0 GHz with my GPU stock):

Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core i5 4670K @ 3.40GHz 32 °C
Haswell 22nm Technology
RAM
8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 666MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
ASRock Z87 Extreme4 (CPUSocket) 33 °C
Graphics
ROG PG279Q (2560x1440@144Hz)
3071MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti (EVGA) 29 °C

Kieli

I have been really happy with my EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE and ASUS PG279Q but I do notice I am not able to get a sold 60+ in Rise of the Tomb Raider and GTAV with everything on Ultra. Could it be my CPU or Memory bottlenecking me?

Here are my specs (also my CPU is overclocked to 4.0 GHz with my GPU stock):

Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core i5 4670K @ 3.40GHz 32 °C
Haswell 22nm Technology
RAM
8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 666MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
ASRock Z87 Extreme4 (CPUSocket) 33 °C
Graphics
ROG PG279Q (2560x1440@144Hz)
3071MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti (EVGA) 29 °C

Your ram is clocked really low. You could get up to 3000 Mhz (DDR4) and see a nice 10 - 20 FPS gain in certain titles just from that change.

Compsiox

Banned
The Armor's cooler just isn't enough to properly cool a 1080 Ti
If temps are getting in the 80s with the fans close to max now I can only imagine what will happen in the summer...

Eh mine hasn't gone past 78 degrees yet. I am interested to see what the summer will be like tho. Hopefully not too bad.

Your ram is clocked really low. You could get up to 3000 Mhz (DDR4) and see a nice 10 - 20 FPS gain in certain titles just from that change.

LGA 1150 socket CPUs don't support ddr4. Though there is DDR3 at 3000 Mhz. 666 Mhz is likely misread from whatever that was copied from. It's probably 1333 which is on lower side of what's available.

teiresias

I've been adding money to my Amazon account specifically to buy an AIB 1080 Ti but they're taking their sweet time getting any of them in stock!!!

Chronos24

Hey guys!! Just got a Revolt 2 Pro off iBuypower with a 1080ti FE. What programs are you guys using to see clocks and temperature and all that? Thanks!

There's always something new just around the corner, if you wait then you'll never buy one.

There are already plenty of games that can't do 60 frames at 4k on this card if your planning on maxing settings. Won't see a card that can hold up that well against 4k gaming with a 2-3 life span for many years.

It'll do 4k/60 for years to come so long as you can sacrifice some settings. Additionally resolution scaling is becoming more common in games, like Mass Effect. I was jumping between 50-60fps in a lot of scenes so I dropped the scaling level to a bit and now its a locked 60 (and on a 75" screen sitting 8ft away, I cant tell, so its all good to me)

I look at it this way, in 1 year I imagine we will see Volta. going by history, this TI will either equal an gtx1180 or be a bit faster than a gtx1170. The gtx1180 will cost $600, likely $700 if you want one at launch. The 1170 will be $500, more at launch. So for the same price as those you are getting a card that you'll enjoy for a year longer, wont have to upgrade next year, and will likely take you all the way to the 12xx gen before it starts falling out of the high end charts. So you've got a minimum of 2 years of top of the line performance, 3 - 4 years of good performance, and by year 4 you should be jumping to a new GPU anyway.

So I guess I should say fuck it and pre-order one of these bad boys and replace my GTX 970?

causan

LGA 1150 socket CPUs don't support ddr4. Though there is DDR3 at 3000 Mhz. 666 Mhz is likely misread from whatever that was copied from. It's probably 1333 which is on lower side of what's available.

You are right, it is actually 1333. I guess its time to upgrade my RAM.

They are really trying to sell the 1080 Ti hybrid kit for $160??? Wtf. You can get the 1080 kit for $119 anywhere and I was able to get it for $105 off Amazon three months back. Guess it went up in price again since so many people were buying it for the 1080 Ti lol. Just takes a dremel tool to cut/grind the backplate in 3 spots. Well the spot where you grind for the capacitors was a real pain, but the other 2 spots that you cut out were easy to do.

Yeah, I was disappointed in the price increase as well, but frankly I'd rather pay more than take a dremel to a 1080 shroud. Ruins resale value, whereas I could probably get most of my cash back selling the 1080 Ti shroud a few years from now.

jrcbandit

if I had a 970 I'd wait for the 11xx series.

Nah, the 970 is weak sauce with its gimped 3.5 GB of memory. Way worth it to get either an used 1080 for "cheap" or new 1080 Ti.

Yeah, I was disappointed in the price increase as well, but frankly I'd rather pay more than take a dremel to a 1080 shroud. Ruins resale value, whereas I could probably get most of my cash back selling the 1080 Ti shroud a few years from now.
Well you are actually modding the backplate only. The shroud remains the same, but same general principle. Although a modded backplate still works fine with the 1070 and 1080.

Sky Chief

Are those EVGA worth the wait?

Nah, I preordered an FTW3 but I think the Strix, MSI Gaming, and Aorus will all likely have better cooling solutions and perform better. The FTW3 will be close though and have the best customer service. If I can get a Strix or maybe an Aorus then I will likely cancel my FTW3 but if I can't I'll still be very happy.

ramshot

Got my 1080Ti Gaming X yesterday. I'm usually an Asus guy, but estimates for STRIX were around 2 weeks, and I could get a Gaming X straight away, so I went for it.

It's actually smaller than the 1080 STRIX, which surprised me. At default clocks it's really quiet.

I can't unlock voltage controls in Afterburner for whatever reason. Without raising the voltage, I maxed out at +75MHz core and +450MHz memory on top of the factory OC. Now it makes some noise and the temps go up to around 80, but even at peak noise I feel it's a tad bit quieter than my STRIX 1080 was under the same circumstances.

As an interesting detail, I don't have the trouble I had with the STRIX of the GPU not always downclocking when idle. This resulted in the STRIX hovering at around 55c, which meant the fans were turning on and off all the time every few seconds. I fixed that with a custom fan profile, but doesn't seem like that will be necessary for the MSI card, which is nice.

This thing absolutely maims 1440p. Going from the 980Ti to 1080 was "now this is a little better" kind of upgrade that still had me dropping some details in some games, but this is something else. So far I tried TW3, FC: Primal, AC: Syndicate, Hitman, Crysis 3 and Dishonored 2. I was able to max everything out with proper AA (not maxed out in the games that allowed something stupid expensive like MSAAx8 though) in each of those games and never ever went below 60fps, spending 99.9% of the time well above 70.

Only game that gave me trouble of any sort was Dishonored 2, which is a POS due to it's framepacing problems. Interestingly enough I noticed that when I was hitting a solid 120fps it was smooth as butter - but when going below around 90 fps, the framepacing problems show up and it doesn't feel anything like 90fps even if the fps and frametime graphs say otherwise. Go figure.

All in all a very solid card based on one evening of tweaking and benchmarking. It's quiet, has no coil whine and it OC's to pretty solid numbers without voltage tweaks. And it cost almost 50EUR less than a STRIX. Guess MSI gets a chance at my money in the future as well.

AtlAntA

Voltage control is something that is controlled from within the bios of the graphics card. Afaik all the 1080ti's have locked voltage control.

Well you are actually modding the backplate only. The shroud remains the same, but same general principle. Although a modded backplate still works fine with the 1070 and 1080.

Yeah I mean of course, more power to anyone that wants to mod the backplate. I would've much rather paid $120, but it just isn't personally worth the hassle/loss of resale value for me.

Xyber

...Anyone who wants to buy the code for For Honor or Ghost Recon? :D

Selling these codes now suddenly became a lot harder because they are locked to the GPU model. :(

Orion514

Hmmmm. Upon further inspection, I wasn't aware that the EVGA SC2 has less HDMI ports than say the MSI Gaming X.

I was going to go with EVGA for the customer support, but now I'm rethinking maybe going with MSI (Who I've always bought previous cards from).

Then the question becomes, when will they come back in stock, and can I click the button fast enough. :(

DId you choose one already?
The 1080 Xtreme was great, far better than their G1 variant, but no reviews are out yet for the Ti so I'd play it safe and keep the MSI.

I haven't. I won't get to mess around with the cards at all until the weekend and I'm sure reviews for the aorus will be out by then to help me make my decision.

Top Bottom