• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti launch/review day - 2017/03/09

Xyber

Just finished installing, time to do the most important part, do a Firestrike run!

gnGK5VJ.jpg

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I think I have to return my EVGA FE to Newegg for a refund after a whopping two days as I can no longer boot into Windows with Nvidia's drivers installed. Windows' basic driver is fine, but as soon as I restart after installing either the 378.92s or 378.78s, I'm met with a blank screen after POST.

I'm sure I'm just unlucky, however I don't see myself ever buying another reference card.

Edit: To add insult to injury, I sold my 1080 today, so I unless I still have an HD 5750 sitting somewhere in the shed, I don't have a backup GPU. Not even an integrated one.

Xyber

It definitely feels good to finally be on a Ti card after having wanted to switch ever since I bought my 680, but couldn't because of bad timing on the releases of the cards or lack of money.

But now I'm on the train and have no plans on stepping off!

Pagusas

Elden Member
I think I have to return my EVGA FE to Newegg for a refund after a whopping two days as I can no longer boot into Windows with Nvidia's drivers installed. Windows' basic driver is fine, but as soon as I restart after installing either the 378.92s or 378.78s, I'm met with a blank screen after POST.

I'm sure I'm just unlucky, however I don't see myself ever buying another reference card.

Edit: To add insult to injury, I sold my 1080 today, so I unless I still have an HD 5750 sitting somewhere in the shed, I don't have a backup GPU. Not even an integrated one.

I thought Newegg was doing exchanges only on these cards, no refunds.

Yeah, just check:

"Return for refund within: Non-refundable
Return for replacement within: 30 days"

JaseC

I thought Newegg was doing exchanges only on these cards, no refunds.

Yeah, just check:

"Return for refund within: Non-refundable
Return for replacement within: 30 days"

The policy is slightly different on international orders: you can get a refund minus a restocking fee, provided you initiate the process within 15 days of delivery. I'd rather take the hit and get a non-ref card.

JaseC

Because Nvidia just can't help itself...

The Titan Xp (Full GP102 with 3840 CUDA cores) - $1200

Seems like it'll follow the normal Titan class policy of Nvidia only, no AIB editions so put it on water if you want to get the most out of it.

That's not a new product, just a renaming of the Pascal-based Titan X. People were calling it the "Titan XP" from the off so as to differentiate it from the Maxwell-based Titan X and it seems Nvidia has finally realised that having two different products with the very same name was asinine.

That's not a new product, just a renaming of the Pascal-based Titan X. People were calling it the "Titan XP" from the off so as to differentiate it from the Maxwell-based Titan X and it seems Nvidia has finally realised that having two different products with the very same name was asinine.

No, the Xp is a new product. 3840 Cores, slightly higher boost clock and higher memory speed.

GodVegeta

Neo Member
Sitting here watching you guys getting you're 1080 ti`s and my amazon order still has no delivery date, sometimes i hate to be a eu guy :(

Weevilone

Yeah you are just unlucky. One of my last non-reference cards was DOA. It happens.

You'd be suprised how many people out there see $1200 as chump change.

Not only that but yields must be a lot smaller for full cores. It was inevitable that we'd eventually see them, which is why it would hurt buying the first Pascal Titan. Oh well at least it had a fairly long run. Too bad we're seeing the full chip so late.

longdi

Banned

I just ordered from newegg too, since amazon was OOS. Do newegg repackaged returned goods as new? Heard some etailers do so, and hence they 'restock' faster...

Orion514

So, If I get an MSI Gaming X and it won't fit in my case for some reason which of the retailers is best with sending back opened GPU boxes? Will any?

That's my only thing I'm scared about in getting one of these slightly bigger/bulkier cards. (I currently have an MSI 980 Ti Gaming 6GB)

Pagusas

Elden Member
So, If I get an MSI Gaming X and it won't fit in my case for some reason which of the retailers is best with sending back opened GPU boxes? Will any?

That's my only thing I'm scared about in getting one of these slightly bigger/bulkier cards. (I currently have an MSI 980 Ti Gaming 6GB)

Best Buy is the only one I know for sure that has a 30 day return it for any reason for a full refund. New Egg is exchange only and amazon ussually is exchange only for high end computer gear (though you can ussually argue with a agent for a refund)

If you need help I can messure my gaming X for you. the card is SHORTER than the official specs say (and also slightly taller).

Orion514

Best Buy is the only one I know for sure that has a 30 day return it for any reason for a full refund. New Egg is exchange only and amazon ussually is exchange only for high end computer gear (though you can ussually argue with a agent for a refund)

If you need help I can messure my gaming X for you. the card is SHORTER than the official specs say (and also slightly taller).

The info I have found online for it's dimensions are: (H) x (L) = (5.51" / 140mm) x (11.42" / 290 mm). If you could confirm those, that'd be awesome.

Also, if it helps I have a Rosewill Redbone U3 Midtower Case

I think I might try and RMA my Aorus. Something isn't right with my card. OC mode crashes constantly and the card heats up to 80 in my case. I don't want to buy fans to see if it makes a difference as I've never had temp issues.

Case is a enthoo evolv with tempered glass. if anything I could add another intake fan in the front but don't think its necessary as the card idles in the mids 30s for me most of the day.

I think I might try and RMA my Aorus. Something isn't right with my card. OC mode crashes constantly and the card heats up to 80 in my case. I don't want to buy fans to see if it makes a difference as I've never had temp issues.

Case is a enthoo evolv with tempered glass. if anything I could add another intake fan in the front but don't think its necessary as the card idles in the mids 30s for me most of the day.

Can you open it (without voiding the warranty) to check the TIM ?

Pagusas

Elden Member
The info I have found online for it's dimensions are: (H) x (L) = (5.51" / 140mm) x (11.42" / 290 mm). If you could confirm those, that'd be awesome.

Also, if it helps I have a Rosewill Redbone U3 Midtower Case

When I get home this evening I'll do some measurements for you and post them here.

These cards live and die with your case airflow. Case and point, my Lian Li opperates on negative pressure and depends on the top radiator fans naturaly causing a vacume to pull air in from ouside the case through the vents. The bottom of the case depends on the GPU fans creating enough of a vacum to do the same. Its not enough. With the case top off my Gaming X will sit at 73c under 100% load, 60% fans, and max power options (2100mhz boost is the best overclock i've hit so far).

With the glass top on my case, the card will hiit 83c with 100% fan at full load, and if i leave it, she'll go up to 85c over 3 hours thanks to temps rising (and my radiator at the top of the case will skyrocket up to 51c water temp!

What I'm saying is negative pressure cases do not work with these cards. They live off fresh cool air being brought it. I've added 3 80mm intakes to my lian li, and now the Gaming X is sitting at 70-73c full oc load with a fan at 60%!

So get some airflow going in, you have a 350watt card in oc mode! It puts out more heat than any other video card has (may be exaggerating a bit, but its for sure pumping out a hell of a lot of heat).

Take the side pannel off your case and see if the card drops to more safe temps. If it does, then your problem is your case, your basically baking your card in its own heat.

When I get home this evening I'll do some measurements for you and post them here.

These cards live and die with your case airflow. Case and point, my Lian Li opperates on negative pressure and depends on the top radiator fans naturaly causing a vacume to pull air in from ouside the case through the vents. The bottom of the case depends on the GPU fans creating enough of a vacum to do the same. Its not enough. With the case top off my Gaming X will sit at 73c under 100% load, 60% fans, and max power options (2100mhz boost is the best overclock i've hit so far).

With the glass top on my case, the card will hiit 83c with 100% fan at full load, and if i leave it, she'll go up to 85c over 3 hours thanks to temps rising (and my radiator at the top of the case will skyrocket up to 51c water temp!

What I'm saying is negative pressure cases do not work with these cards. They live off fresh cool air being brought it. I've added 3 80mm intakes to my lian li, and now the Gaming X is sitting at 70-73c full oc load with a fan at 60%!

So get some airflow going in, you have a 350watt card in oc mode! It puts out more heat than any other video card has (may be exaggerating a bit, but its for sure pumping out a hell of a lot of heat).

Take the side pannel off your case and see if the card drops to more safe temps. If it does, then your problem is your case, your basically baking your card in its own heat.

I can't even run the OC mode of the card stable with sides off. :( Been messing with settings and everything. Oh well. Guess I can add another fan in the front and see what happens. Maybe throw one up top as well.

I am using a Noctua D15 for my CPU.

What is your current case fan setup? I might try to emulate yours and see if there is any improvement.

I am so sorry to hear that. It's heart breaking! Have you been able to test it on another PC? Just to make sure.

Kevin

Been watching Newegg all week so far and not a single restock. Damn where are the cards? Seems like they release 2 cards a week...

Pagusas

Elden Member
I can't even run the OC mode of the card stable with sides off. :( Been messing with settings and everything. Oh well. Guess I can add another fan in the front and see what happens. Maybe throw one up top as well.

What is your current case fan setup? I might try to emulate yours and see if there is any improvement.

This is my layout:

I did a "temp" mod of remvoing the bottom pannel to put the 3x 80mm fans in, my new drill press arrives this weekend and ill be cutting the fan holes into the actual pannel now that i know they work extremely well.

You can see from this shot how the GPU sits at the bottom of the case and heat would just build as there was no forced air intake, the GPU just kep using its own hot air to cool it self.

removing that panel directly under the gpu and adding 3 intake fans fixed it perfectly so that aluminum panel will now get 3 80mm holes drilled into it for permanent placement.

dr_rus

RMA it. The card must operate properly on the specs no matter the air flow - unless you have a safe in place of your case (which is highly unlikely) you should have enough air flow for the card to not overheat and certainly not crash (which is a sign of a faulty h/w as the card should not crash when overheating but throttle the frequencies).

Pagusas

Elden Member
RMA it. The card must operate properly on the specs no matter the air flow - unless you have a safe in place of your case (which is highly unlikely) you should have enough air flow for the card to not overheat and certainly not crash (which is a sign of a faulty h/w as the card should not crash when overheating but throttle the frequencies).

Didnt even think about the crashing bit, but he's absolutely right. RMA it.

This is my layout:

I did a "temp" mod of remvoing the bottom pannel to put the 3x 80mm fans in, my new drill press arrives this weekend and ill be cutting the fan holes into the actual pannel now that i know they work extremely well.

You can see from this shot how the GPU sits at the bottom of the case and heat would just build as there was no forced air intake, the GPU just kep using its own hot air to cool it self.

removing that panel directly under the gpu and adding 3 intake fans fixed it perfectly so that aluminum panel will now get 3 80mm holes drilled into it for permanent placement.

That's a beautiful case if only it wasn't so expensive.

Pagusas

Elden Member
That's a beautiful case if only it wasn't so expensive.

Indeed I do love it. But its also a big pain in the ass with some of the worst themrals ever. But luckily some mods are fixing that issue (but I'm trying to do them currently, thus ordering a drill press press to insure 100% accurate drilling with no slips or scratches.)

The funny part is I have the case horizontal 80% of the time as its in my media center. Its just as beautiful that way as it is vertically, and the tinted glass is just pure perfection, just the right amout of black tint to make it look elegant.

Uncertain if I should simply replace my 1080 with a 1080ti or go the whole hog and get a new PC. Obviously it'd be cheaper to just get the 1080ti but my PC is not as new as it once was and the mobo only takes DDR3 so I can't change to DDR4.
The CPU is an oc'd 4790k which is still good for a few years but I wonder if memory, 16GB of 2133DDR3, is good enough now.

Wallach

Uncertain if I should simply replace my 1080 with a 1080ti or go the whole hog and get a new PC. Obviously it'd be cheaper to just get the 1080ti but my PC is not as new as it once was and the mobo only takes DDR3 so I can't change to DDR4.
The CPU is an oc'd 4790k which is still good for a few years but I wonder if memory, 16GB of 2133DDR3, is good enough now.

Probably wouldn't rebuild unless you're still on platter drives. Might be worth it if you are moving to fully solid state.

Hopefully it doesn't take too long to get a new one in since stock levels are not stable yet.

I've been looking at my case more after playing with my Strix last night. I decided to set the lights in it to change color with the temperature. Seemed like a neat feature and I have a window on my case (Fractal Design R4). I decided to boot up Ghost Recon since I got it with the card and get to the intro. I notice the card turn yellow. Not a huge deal. Then it turns orange. I started watching it closer and ignoring the game. By the end of the intro it was going from orange to red back and forth. When I got to a point that it saved I quit. Checked and the LEDs are set to turn red at 80°C. Should I be concerned? I'm going to look at my case more when I get home as I discovered a few ways to help airflow already. But that still seems so hot. Maybe I'm worried for nothing.

Top Bottom