• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti launch/review day - 2017/03/09

Kevin

Well that I can tell you. I have a 1080Ti FE, and have it OC'd +150core +400mem, and it runs at a locked 30fps throughout at 4K. :)

Which version of the card did you get?

I went with the AORUS GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Xtreme Edition. I also wonder how well the Adam demo runs at 4K on the 1080 ti...

Kevin

Any point in getting the Aorus Xtreme over the non-Xtreme?

For $30 more you get a 4-year warranty instead of a 3-year one and a slightly faster clock speed. I think those are the only differences but I could be wrong. Personally I splooged for the better one but that comes down to personal preference.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Any point in getting the Aorus Xtreme over the non-Xtreme?

From what I've been reading, if Gigabyte's binning process is super accurate then in theory the standard Aorus wont have the OC potential of the Xtreme. Plus as Kevin said you also get additional warranty, plus cosmetic stuff.

I've got the standard on order and will report back here what OC I hit when it arrives tomorrow or Tuesday. Everyone in Australia seems to be jumping on the Xtreme, but the standard Aorus is still readily available.

Silicon lottery, I guess. My 1080 is the Gainward Phoenix OC, but not the GS or "superior" OC variant, and I can still hit 2000+MHz pretty easily on most software. Right now, alt tabbed out of Nier, the core is sitting at a comfortable 2101 MHz.

Based on what I'm seeing the Gigabyte AORUS has seem to won this initial round of reviews. I'm really curious about EVGA because they seem to be the GOAT when it comes to support and overall warranty. Every review I've read basically puts the AORUS above MSI or Asus.

Excerpt from Techreport
"The Gigabyte GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X is currently available for preorder at a price point of $750, which is $50 more than the NVIDIA Founders Edition pricing. Considering that's a price increase of 7% and the card gains 7% of extra performance out of the box thanks to its overclock, I'd say that's a reasonable premium, and you do get the better cooler and additional features on top. The price increase also looks more acceptable now that we've found out that the ASUS STRIX retails for $780. Compared to both the ASUS STRIX and MSI Gaming X, the Gigabyte card comes with higher clocks out of the box, uses less power, and runs as quiet (ASUS) or quieter (MSI). So far, it's the best GTX 1080 Ti I've reviewed." [Score 9.9]

Unless an EVGA review comes out and nails it, I think I'm going to go AORUS.

paskowitz

Guys, there is no appreciable difference between the AIB air cards other than looks, price and the every now and again manufacturing defect on like <5% of cards (warranty). Asus, Auros, EVGA, MSI, Zotac, etc are all going to be between 2000-2150Mhz and all be withing 3% fps variance of each other. Noise will be similar. Temps will be similar. Overclocking will be the same. Performance in all, is the same.

So in the end it comes down to aesthetic preference, price and warranty (bonus: waterblock support). There are no other factors. I would also add, reviews are completely superficial given the above. So please, make your purchase decisions with that in mind.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Guys, there is no appreciable difference between the AIB air cards other than looks, price and the every now and again manufacturing defect on like <5% of cards (warranty). Asus, Auros, EVGA, MSI, Zotac, etc are all going to be between 2000-2150Mhz and all be withing 3% fps variance of each other. Noise will be similar. Temps will be similar. Overclocking will be the same. Performance in all, is the same.

So in the end it comes down to aesthetic preference, price and warranty (bonus: waterblock support). There are no other factors. I would also add, reviews are completely superficial given the above. So please, make your purchase decisions with that in mind.

There are some voltage and power limit differences that will affect max overclock, but you are absolutely right about the difference being super small. I'd make my choice based on looks and warranty.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

Yeah, this is so true, especially when you factor in silicon lottery.

paskowitz

There are some voltage and power limit differences that will affect max overclock, but you are absolutely right about the difference being super small. I'd make my choice based on looks and warranty.

Maybe on one reviewer sample compared to another, but across hundreds of samples across the market, silicon lottery has a much greater impact on clocks (and is completely independent of what card you buy). Add to that the fact Pascal and GPU boost 3.0 leave a minuscule % of OC headroom.

The only way to actually make a dent is to buy a water cooled card that can maintain a higher average clock speed (not peak) with less given fan speed/noise.

Yea, pretty much. I went with an FE 1080Ti because my new case is gonna be a miniITX form factor. I got the EVGA variant though because they've had my back in the past.

Not that I have the money for a new gpu, but what would this be for someone with a 980?

Would it be a decent jump because if not I might just wait until Vega, and prices calm down.

Just curious, mostly because I love hardware.

Let's be real, it will be down to whenever I have the money to upgrade. Hah.

Vlaphor

So yeah, just got my new EVGA 1080 TI Founders Edition, tried out a few games, such as Overwatch (silky smooth at 4k with everything maxed), Dishonored 2 (a moderately stable 60 at 4k with everything maxed, which is not bad considering how poor the port was), Crysis 3 (a couple of small reductions here and there and I'm getting a solid 60 at 4k), and GTA V (couldn't really detect any drops at 4k with everything basically maxed). Then I went and played Persona 5 for a few hours.

It really does feel weird to buy a new graphics card, and then go play on a console. Oh well, I have several PC games I want to play once I finish P5

Edit: I also haven't tried anything Vive related yet. I'll give that a shot tomorrow.

erawsd

So yeah, just got my new EVGA 1080 TI Founders Edition, tried out a few games, such as Overwatch (silky smooth at 4k with everything maxed), Dishonored 2 (a moderately stable 60 at 4k with everything maxed, which is not bad considering how poor the port was), Crysis 3 (a couple of small reductions here and there and I'm getting a solid 60 at 4k), and GTA V (couldn't really detect any drops at 4k with everything basically maxed). Then I went and played Persona 5 for a few hours.

It really does feel weird to buy a new graphics card, and then go play on a console. Oh well, I have several PC games I want to play once I finish P5

Edit: I also haven't tried anything Vive related yet. I'll give that a shot tomorrow.

I did the exact same thing. I got my 1080ti, played a handful of games for 2mins to see how they run and then went back to Zelda.

Varna

Not that I have the money for a new gpu, but what would this be for someone with a 980?

Would it be a decent jump because if not I might just wait until Vega, and prices calm down.

Just curious, mostly because I love hardware.

Let's be real, it will be down to whenever I have the money to upgrade. Hah.

I'll let you know.

According to benchmark and reviews it's a pretty much double the power.

Sky Chief

Ordered a Strix on Micro Center's Website. It says it ships in 1-3 days. Anything wrong with ordering from MC? Trying to decide now between the Strix and the FTW3 I have preordered.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Bah, I'm a dumbo and just realised that the ETA on the FTW3 is actually May 9th, not April 9th. Time to try my luck with another FE, I suppose.

Well EVGA had self-immolating 1080's in 2016, so that is a significant strike in the recent track record of manufacturing defects column against them.

One thing that might decide people on one card versus another is the layout of display outputs. Some cards have 2x HDMI compared to the FE's single HDMI, this is useful for people who want to drive both a VR headset and a monitor or TV with HDMI.

Weevilone

The EVGA problems were great for me this gen. Amazon discounted my 1080 FTW because they shipped it out late. EVGA gave me the upgrade path to ICX due to the design issues with FTW.. which opened step-up for Ti.

I'm into the 1080Ti for $715 and that includes the use of a 1080 since launch too. I never bothered with the VRM thermal pad mod, but did update the BIOS on the card to alter the fan curve. I didn't experience any problems with it.

tokkun

One thing that might decide people on one card versus another is the layout of display outputs. Some cards have 2x HDMI compared to the FE's single HDMI, this is useful for people who want to drive both a VR headset and a monitor or TV with HDMI.

I wouldn't base a buying decision on that either. Vive has a mini-DP input on its breakout box, and Rift works with DP-to-HDMI adapters. Either way you just need to buy an $8 cable.

paskowitz

Well EVGA had self-immolating 1080's in 2016, so that is a significant strike in the recent track record of manufacturing defects column against them.

DP to HDMI adapter.

Well that's not very fun. I imagine marketing departments will put a hit out on you soon. :)

Pagusas

Elden Member
I feel in getting really lucky with page refreshing. Got the 1080ti by randomly refreshing Newegg, and today got a Switch by just randomly visiting Best Buy.com. Feeling good :)

Not sure what's going on with ebuyer and the Aorus E, says they are getting stock this Friday (bank holiday) but my order has "Stock issue" attached to it, contact customer services, dunno if that just means the delivery date is messed up cause that's a bloody bank holiday too! Apparently they are getting 40 odd in.

Hate all this order shite, every gpu release just feels like they are all trying to grab your money with no concrete delivery details.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Not sure what's going on with ebuyer and the Aorus E, says they are getting stock this Friday (bank holiday) but my order has "Stock issue" attached to it, contact customer services, dunno if that just means the delivery date is messed up cause that's a bloody bank holiday too! Apparently they are getting 40 odd in.

Hate all this order shite, every gpu release just feels like they are all trying to grab your money with no concrete delivery details.

You know that going in though, these are super hot items right now. If it bothers you that much why don't you force yourself to wait until supply no longer outstrips demand. Then you won't be frustrated anymore.

You know that going in though, these are super hot items right now. If it bothers you that much why don't you force yourself to wait until supply no longer outstrips demand. Then you won't be frustrated anymore.

Trouble is you get caught out, trusting what you see in front of you, then you order and the real truth comes out, and then they have you.......and your money lol.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Are there any aftermarket coolers that are compatible with the Armor? The default one definitely isn't cutting it, especially with the fans maxing out at 2400 RPM.

cskippy

Neo Member

All true except in one area...noise. And that is a HUGE deal for me. I want a silent PC when I'm not gaming and don't want a hair dryer when I am gaming.

Unless these cards are fundamentally different than others, my past experience tells me

FE louder than 3rd party cards, and most likely noise levels EVGA>MSI>ASUS.

Marmelade

Overclocks on Pascal will be around the same whatever the card I agree, but noise and temps can vary noticeably

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
What's the latest driver version you guys have? Is it NVDriver_V37878-desktop-win10-64bit-international-whql?

Aorus is here (non extreme) and installed in a fractal r5

hottest I've been able to get it is 63 degrees, playing forza horizon 3 and batman, both at 4k/ultra for extended periods of time

as soon as I stop playing the fans get it down to low fifties in a couple of minutes. card is running very cool for me

Sky Chief

I don't think it's too bad looking minus it being huge. It's between it and the Strix and the FTW3 for me.

Last two gens I had the Gigabyte 780 Ti GHz Edition and then the Gigabyte 980 Ti Extreme Edition. I'm a big fan and think they have the best cooling but the Aorus is just too ugly for me.

IMO the Strix has the next best cooling solution and looks good. The FTW3 will likely have the worst cooling solution but best customer service.

I have the Strix and FTW3 preordered and think I'm going Strix. If you don't mind the looks of the Aorus then that one is obviously the best because it has the best cooler, factory performance, and price.

Finally managed to snag a card from Newegg this morning; the AORUS Xtreme 1080 ti, so fucking hype!

I got mine yesterday and it's awesome. Half the time the fans don't spin because it stays cool and when they do turn on the card stays silent. I was worried about it sagging because it's a beefy card but it's all good&#128077; I do have an Asus tuf series motherboard so maybe the the thermal armor is helping it from sagging. I haven't seen the card go over 55 degrees while playing.

AtlAntA

Aorus is here (non extreme) and installed in a fractal r5

hottest I've been able to get it is 63 degrees, playing forza horizon 3 and batman, both at 4k/ultra for extended periods of time

as soon as I stop playing the fans get it down to low fifties in a couple of minutes. card is running very cool for me

I'm pretty curious about the clockspeeds you are getting. Are they close or even better then the extreme edition?

Perhaps someone should change the topic title to a OT one?

The Dude

I don't think strix looks that amazing outside of the lighting. But I'm not one to worry to much about the looks, I just want great performance and support.

What I'm liking is how every review of the Aorus seems to be super positive so jumping from evga feels good at the moment.

It seems to be the best in all ways except it's incredibly ugly

One thing nice about the Aorus is that the ugly is concentrated on the front side of the card, which faces downward in your case and which is therefore generally not visible.

The back side, which is the side of the card you can see through the window, is just the backplate with Aorus logo lit by the RGB LED light. This looks just fine and is not really any different from the backplate on the Strix.

Top Bottom