• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti launch/review day - 2017/03/09

Well the closed loops may as well be on Neptune at this point because I have nfi where to get one of them in the US.

As the poster above says - they just don't stay in stock long at all. I was driving, got the notification, and pulled over to order it. Gone a few minutes later.

Pagusas

Elden Member
The 1070 was in the same performance range as the 980Ti, so it is possible the 1170 equivalent would fit. But there is no guarantee of that, and I'm not sure anyone knows when those cards will release.

Plus any 1170 will cost $400-$450, not 300.

We are at least 3-4 generations away from a xx60 card doing 4k/60. And with the consoles taking a new 1/2 gen upgrade cycle, I don't think you'll ever see 4k/60 on brand new future titles on a mid range card

xXJonoXx

So I've been looking to get a 1080ti. Currently I have a 1070 EVGA SC. 1080ti would be $700+, or I could get another 1070 EVGA SC with ME: Andromeda for $420. I recently upgraded my monitor to 3440x1440 60Hz. Which would be the smarter idea? I realized SLI support isn't great in some games but the games I play it seems to scale well. Which would be better for my money?

Weevilone

So I've been looking to get a 1080ti. Currently I have a 1070 EVGA SC. 1080ti would be $700+, or I could get another 1070 EVGA SC with ME: Andromeda for $420. I recently upgraded my monitor to 3440x1440 60Hz. Which would be the smarter idea? I realized SLI support isn't great in some games but the games I play it seems to scale well. Which would be better for my money?

Sell and get the 1080Ti.

Has there been any indication from EVGA about reviews for their FTW3? I'm really interested in how they'll stack up to the competition given how relatively close all the aftermarket cards have been.

AtlAntA

So today is April 10th. Afaik most 3rd party's should hit stores today in Europe. But I'm guessing they are all long gone due to pre orders.

JCH!

So today is April 10th. Afaik most 3rd party's should hit stores today in Europe. But I'm guessing they are all long gone due to pre orders.

AORUS Extreme showed up today on Amazon.es with an estimated delivery of '1 to 2 months'.

Hah.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Bah, I went with FedEx International Priority over DHL Express due to the shorter window (3-5 days rather than 4-7) but the tracking page says the package is currently slated to arrive on the 18th.

Here's the funny thing about my purchase of a Asus Strix 1080Ti - I got it from Very.co.uk which are kinda' like Littlewoods but without the insane APR on monthly purchases. They do a lot of stuff (similar to Amazon I guess but not as big) but I never thought they'd do PC components, particularly brand new ones. I mean most adverts I see for them are for clothes. Pure chance I found it there. And you get BNPL and 12 months interest free credit.

Skyr

My MSI 1080ti Gaming X is just being prepared for shipment.
I think it's the first german retailer that is sending them out.

Should be here by Wednesday.
If I'm lucky even tomorow. Can't wait to test this baby out.

AtlAntA

i cant hear its little hum noise when i get as close as possible. there might be some air in there but im not sure the best way to check or fix that on an AIO. it does feel as tho one tube is vibrating tho

Best way to check is to see what the Temps are under full load. Try running heaven benchmark as it shows temps on screen.

Luminaire

Hm... I'd like the Asus card if possible, but patience may be necessary.

I want to purchase this through my workplace as we have a program that lets you buy things at cost plus 1% (not retail price) and simply take an amount out of your paycheck, no interest or anything, free shipping.

We have the FEs available but no sign of the Asus cards yet. They're in the system, just no stock at vendors. I've been close to pulling the trigger on the FE but feel like I'd kick myself later. Maybe I should just wait.

On that note, there seem to be two variants of some cards (like two strix versions). Should I just get the best one or does the difference become negligible with overclocking? I have a 970 that I'm giving to my sister and I probably won't upgrade again until 1200 series.

(Waiting sucks...)

Pagusas

Elden Member
Very surprised no FTW3 reviews have hit yet, I thought guru3d had one shipped to them already. If I dont see a review by the 15th I think I'll cancle my pre-order. I really dont want to have to go through the risk of selling a $750 gpu and risk getting it stolen via a scam.

Hopefully they give them to reviewers before release. The rest of the manufacturers did, we'll besides Gigabyte.

Very surprised no FTW3 reviews have hit yet, I thought guru3d had one shipped to them already. If I dont see a review by the 15th I think I'll cancle my pre-order. I really dont want to have to go through the risk of selling a $750 gpu and risk getting it stolen via a scam.

BRsS6cK.png

Weevilone

I went to two local stores today, Fry's and MicroCenter, and they both had 0 1080tis of any brand. Pretty crazy.

So in other words it's just like the 9xx, 980Ti launch, and 1080 launch.. I don't remember before that, but this has been the norm for a while.

Walking into a store is just a crap-shoot really. I'm sure people randomly walk in and find cards but it's all down to luck based on when stock arrived. We live in a Nowinstock.net world.

Stopped by Frys on my way home from work and decided to ask guys who looked like they knew about things in the computer section in the back and managed to get a STRIX.

AtlAntA

So in other words it's just like the 9xx, 980Ti launch, and 1080 launch.. I don't remember before that, but this has been the norm for a while.

Walking into a store is just a crap-shoot really. I'm sure people randomly walk in and find cards but it's all down to luck based on when stock arrived. We live in a Nowinstock.net world.

There is no nowinstock equivalent in the netherlands so we have to do the manual labor lol. Tbh though the first few days it can be kinda exciting to refresh a gazillion store pages but that gets old fast.

The STRIX definitely has some coil whine. Out of all 3 cards I've tested with my new power supply this one has had the most. The Gaming X had very minimal coil whine and could only hear a little with the side open and sitting about a foot away from it. The Aorus I got was pretty much a bad card with ridiculous temps and the inability to use the softwares precannned OC modes.

The temps have been the coolest so far by a few degrees. Wonder how the Aorus will be once I get a new one shipped to me after RMA process completes.

Xyber

We don't have something like that here in Sweden, but I think I have been extremely lucky with my latest GPU purchases. I've had the 970, 1080 and now the 1080Ti with all of them being the MSI Gaming X. I wasn't very fast with any of the orders, but still managed to get one from the first shipment on all cards.

I'm glad I have not needed to order stuff within minutes of them being available or wait another 1-4 weeks for another chance at buying one.

Sky Chief

The STRIX definitely has some coil whine. Out of all 3 cards I've tested with my new power supply this one has had the most. The Gaming X had very minimal coil whine and could only hear a little with the side open and sitting about a foot away from it. The Aorus I got was pretty much a bad card with ridiculous temps and the inability to use the softwares precannned OC modes.

The temps have been the coolest so far by a few degrees. Wonder how the Aorus will be once I get a new one shipped to me after RMA process completes.

Fuck, how bad is the coil whine on the Strix? Is it only noticeable at very high frame rates or all the time?

Pagusas

Elden Member
Fuck, how bad is the coil whine on the Strix? Is it only noticeable at very high frame rates or all the time?

Don't worry to much about coil whine because it's pure luck of the draw. My Gaming X has it bad but only during high frame rate benchmarks.

Varna

Get that baby fired up fellas, need some impressions

The thing looks ridiculous and is pretty heavy.

Changing LEDs is a bit annoying. Have to figure out how to set it to a single color.

Nearly had a heart attack when I noticed the idle temps were in the 50s. I checked the card and the fans were not moving. Seems to be a bug with Afterburner. Once I reset auto everything working fine.

Quick test on the Witcher 3. My 980GTX couldn't hit consistent 60 FPS in a certain area. Now I'm hitting 110. Temps never closing 63c.

Don't have much to test with right now. I have Wildlands... but then I would have to install uplay and all that.

Pagusas

Elden Member
The thing looks ridiculous and is pretty heavy.

Changing LEDs is a bit annoying. Have to figure out how to set it to a single color.

Nearly had a heart attack when I noticed the idle temps were in the 50s. I checked the card and the fans were not moving. Seems to be a bug with Afterburner. Once I reset auto everything working fine.

Quick test on the Witcher 3. My 980GTX couldn't hit consistent 60 FPS in a certain area. Now I'm hitting 110. Temps never closing 63c.

Don't have much to test with right now. I have Wildlands... but then I would have to install uplay and all that.

It's fans don't start spinning until it hits 60c (unless you override it with a user fan curve). It's meant to idle in the 50s and be silent during Desktop/browsing/movies.

It's not bad at all. Remember I'm literally sitting next to my open case looking to hear coil whine. Once I put the side back on I can't hear anything. This is with default fan curve too. If I were to create a custom fan curve it'd mask it even more.

I've tried the Aorus, MSI, and ASUS with a hx850i and an EVGA G2 and they've all had some amount of coil whine. Nothing bad or that I'd send a card back over personally. I think guru3d said all their test cards had some sort of coil whine.

Sky Chief

It's not bad at all. Remember I'm literally sitting next to my open case looking to hear coil whine. Once I put the side back on I can't hear anything. This is with default fan curve too. If I were to create a custom fan curve it'd mask it even more.

I've tried the Aorus, MSI, and ASUS with a hx850i and an EVGA G2 and they've all had some amount of coil whine. Nothing bad or that I'd send a card back over personally. I think guru3d said all their test cards had some sort of coil whine.

Which card do you think is better between the Gaming X and Strix?

Top Bottom