• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti launch/review day - 2017/03/09

Wallach

What is the thing with strix that so many seem to really like?

ASUS has consistently been producing some of the best aftermarket cards ever since they introduced the DirectCU line. Shouldn't be that surprising. AORUS is Gigabyte trying to get some more mindshare in the GPU space compared to ASUS and EVGA.

So, how much lower FPS should I expect with my upcoming EVGA SC2 compared to say an FTW3 or the Aoras Extreme?

Makes me sad that my case just won't fit one of those bigger cards. :(

There's hardly a difference between an overclocked FE and Strix (per bitwit's review). With the custom cooled cards they're more about lower noise and temps, rather than big performance gains. Maybe if a bios editor is ever released, you'd be able to push those higher end cards alot higher, but for now overclocked performance is not too different.

I'm still not completely decided between this ASUS ROG Strix GeForce GTX 1080 Ti and getting a new system. The difference is around £1500 but for that I'm going from a 4790@4.2ghz to a 7700@5ghz, from 2133DDR3 to 3200DDR4 and a water cooled case.
That said I've been told I shouldn't get any bottlenecking so maybe I'll save the money for something else. Also the PC/case is very, very shouty -
ryzen_v4z6-iq_2646-s2.png
It comes with a 1080ti but only a Founders Edition.

Posted this in the B/S/T but I'll post here too just in case.

WTS: GTX 1080 ti - MSI Armor edition: $700 shipped

Bought this from Newegg for $720 and just looking to get close to breakeven. I've used it and it's awesome but I'm coming from a 1080 and realizing I want the money more :)

I'll throw in the For Honor/Ghost Recon code too

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I'm still not completely decided between this ASUS ROG Strix GeForce GTX 1080 Ti and getting a new system. The difference is around £1500 but for that I'm going from a 4790@4.2ghz to a 7700@5ghz, from 2133DDR3 to 3200DDR4 and a water cooled case.
That said I've been told I shouldn't get any bottlenecking so maybe I'll save the money for something else. Also the PC/case is very, very shouty -
It comes with a 1080ti but only a Founders Edition.

Considering the 4790K is 4c/8t, I'd stick with it a while longer. Even if you're not keen on Ryzen, Coffee Lake is slated for next year and should mark Intel's debut of "mainstream" (i.e. reasonably-priced) 6c/12t SKUs.

Renekton

Wait Ghost Recon has co-op? Is it online co-op?
You can SP but the game is best played online co-op with friends. Something like GTA Online meets The Division in South America.

So for best experience, buy 1080Tis for your friends so they can join in.

JCH!

So what did you guys choose? For Honor or Ghost Recon for your free game choice? Whats the better game?

After playing both game's Open Betas, I will definitely get the Wildlands code when I get my card.

Single player is kinda meh, but fun can be had with the Co-Op.

FFMafia

What are the chances the AORUS 1080 TI Xtreme is sold by Best Buy? I have gift cards there and would like to save some cash!

Marmelade

ASUS has consistently been producing some of the best aftermarket cards ever since they introduced the DirectCU line. Shouldn't be that surprising. AORUS is Gigabyte trying to get some more mindshare in the GPU space compared to ASUS and EVGA.

The 1080 Strix wasn't that great, it could get pretty noisy.
The Ti seems better.

tokkun

I'm still not completely decided between this ASUS ROG Strix GeForce GTX 1080 Ti and getting a new system. The difference is around £1500 but for that I'm going from a 4790@4.2ghz to a 7700@5ghz, from 2133DDR3 to 3200DDR4

Pre-built custom water loop is kind of a weird concept to me. If someone doesn't enjoy building and tinkering with their own system, why go with such a high-maintenance cooling option?

Pre-built custom water loop is kind of a weird concept to me. If someone doesn't enjoy building and tinkering with their own system, why go with such a high-maintenance cooling option?
Yeah, I came to the same conclusion eventually. I like tinkering but I rarely have the time. I used to build my own PC's but recently I've got them pre-built. My current PC is good enough. Maybe in a year or two I'll get a new one built around my 1080ti.

Considering the 4790K is 4c/8t, I'd stick with it a while longer. Even if you're not keen on Ryzen, Coffee Lake is slated for next year and should mark Intel's debut of "mainstream" (i.e. reasonably-priced) 6c/12t SKUs.
That's the plan right now.

kuYuri

Can't you use your Best Buy credit to buy Amazon gift cards? I've done that before. Perhaps you can get the Aorus from Amazon.

Can't you use your Best Buy credit to buy Amazon gift cards? I've done that before. Perhaps you can get the Aorus from Amazon.

Yes you can. I think they only carry kindle cards because people would trade Besrbuy credit for Amazon gc but kindle cards are good for anything sold on Amazon. I traded in a bunch if games and used the $500 Besrbuy gc to buy $500 in kindle gc.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Yes you can. I think they only carry kindle cards because people would trade Besrbuy credit for Amazon gc but kindle cards are good for anything sold on Amazon. I traded in a bunch if games and used the $500 Besrbuy f2f to buy $500 in kindle gc��

Last time I tried to do that I couldnt find any kindle cards at Best Buy, ask a clerk and was told they no longer carried them. that was 8 months ago.

What I've ended up doing instead was buying Verizon gift cards and paying my phone bill with them and putting that money i would have spent towards the thing i want.

Last time I tried to do that I couldnt find any kindle cards at Best Buy, ask a clerk and was told they no longer carried them. that was 8 months ago.

What I've ended up doing instead was buying Verizon gift cards and paying my phone bill with them and putting that money i would have spent towards the thing i want.

Ok well that sucks, guess they caught on. Would make sense though since I bought kindle cards from best buy over a year ago. Can you just buy those reloadable debit cards from best buy? I'd take the $5 activation fee if I could transfer my credit over to Amazon or somewhere else

Pagusas

Elden Member
Ok well that sucks, guess they caught on. Would make sense though since I bought kindle cards from best buy over a year ago. Can you just buy those reloadable debit cards from best buy? I'd take the $5 activation fee if I could transfer my credit over to Amazon or somewhere else

nope, cant use reward points or gift cards to buy prepaid credit cards. I'm pretty sure thats a federal rule to prevent money laundering

Weevilone

nope, cant use reward points or gift cards to buy prepaid credit cards. I'm pretty sure thats a federal rule to prevent money laundering

I don't know how many times I've burned my Best Buy gift cards to buy iTunes credit. I don't know if that's somehow different, but I didn't shop at BB for the longest time and people kept giving me gift cards so that's how I got rid of them.

Vlaphor

Well, I'm off to pick up my EVGA 1080 ti...then play a bunch of Persona 5

After P5, I'll be getting into ME:A and Nier Automata, so it'll be fine, plus I enjoy VR quite a bit, so that'll only be getting better.

Pagusas

Elden Member
I don't know how many times I've burned my Best Buy gift cards to buy iTunes credit. I don't know if that's somehow different, but I didn't shop at BB for the longest time and people kept giving me gift cards so that's how I got rid of them.

Gift cards arent the same as pre-paid credit cards.

The Dude

I have found most EVGA's to be really quiet, but loving the reviews I have read for the Aorus. Really stoked to get it.

Here you go. Try the Adam demo:

https://unity3d.com/unity/demos

Thanks for linking this. While I already knew about and have tested this demo on my PC, there may be others who haven't realized that this actually released a little while back. It's a pretty awesome demo, I must say.

I was more referring to Nvidia and AMD themselves regarding their new series of GPUs which usually came with a cool tech demo demonstrating unique features the new hardware was capable of.

The last one I can remember from Nvidia was for DX12, and was demoed on the 980Ti, called "Mech Ti", however I don't believe that the executable was ever released to the public for download.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzPRIBG_d74

Both AMD and Nvidia have had some cool ones over the years. I loved AMD's "Pipe Dream" which is one of my all time favs. Running Animusic's Pipe Dream in real time and it looked amazing.

The Pre-rendered Pipe Dream:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyCIpKAIFyo

AMD's Real-time Pipe Dream:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xu-A0jqMPd8

Did AMD ever release that new Ruby demo to the public either? I don't really remember tbh... but yea, I wish we'd get some more cool demos.

PFD

I've been trying to research overclocked 980Ti vs overclocked 1080Ti numbers, and so far it seems to be a 45% jump in performance.

I'm trying to convince myself that it's not worth the hassle of selling my used card on CL.

Kevin

Thanks for linking this. While I already knew about and have tested this demo on my PC, there may be others who haven't realized that this actually released a little while back. It's a pretty awesome demo, I must say.

I was more referring to Nvidia and AMD themselves regarding their new series of GPUs which usually came with a cool tech demo demonstrating unique features the new hardware was capable of.

The last one I can remember from Nvidia was for DX12, and was demoed on the 980Ti, called "Mech Ti", however I don't believe that the executable was ever released to the public for download.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzPRIBG_d74

Both AMD and Nvidia have had some cool ones over the years. I loved AMD's "Pipe Dream" which is one of my all time favs. Running Animusic's Pipe Dream in real time and it looked amazing.

The Pre-rendered Pipe Dream:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyCIpKAIFyo

AMD's Real-time Pipe Dream:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xu-A0jqMPd8

Did AMD ever release that new Ruby demo to the public either? I don't really remember tbh... but yea, I wish we'd get some more cool demos.

Besides Adam, is there any other top level tech demos you could recommend and link too?

Besides Adam, is there any other top level tech demos you could recommend and link too?

Well, I'm not sure if you know about it already or not, but back with the launch of the Nvidia Titan X Maxwell card, Epic showcased a demo called "A Boy and his Kite" which is a gorgeous demo showcasing UE support for huge open worlds. It was later released publicly as a stand-alone demo after Unreal Engine 4.8 went live to the public.

Demo - https://t.co/d2XhGNb8zj

(Quick tip if you've never used this demo before)
To play the demo with custom resolutions, make a shortcut and add this after the target. -bUseVSync=False -ResX=3840 -ResY=2160 -FullscreenMode=1 -Fullscreen
(ResX and ResY being whatever you want them to be)
You will start off in the open world which you can fly/walk around in. To see the controls, press and hold the "0(ins)" key on your keypad, or press and hold the start button if you have a controller. To start the cinematic, press the "Page Up" key.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNgsbNvkNjE

It's pretty much the latest thing that I can think of, other than Adam.

Kevin

Well, I'm not sure if you know about it already or not, but back with the launch of the Nvidia Titan X Maxwell card, Epic showcased a demo called "A Boy and his Kite" which is a gorgeous demo showcasing UE support for huge open worlds. It was later released publicly as a stand-alone demo after Unreal Engine 4.8 went live to the public.

Demo - https://t.co/d2XhGNb8zj

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNgsbNvkNjE

It's pretty much the latest thing that I can think of, other than Adam.
Anyone try this on a 1080ti yet? Hows it perform? 4k?

My card arrives on Wednesday. :)

Top Bottom