• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti launch/review day - 2017/03/09

Varna

It's fans don't start spinning until it hits 60c (unless you override it with a user fan curve). It's meant to idle in the 50s and be silent during Desktop/browsing/movies.

That "Fan Stop" LED makes so much sense now.

Any option for tweaking those LED lights other then having a Gigabyte mobo? Tried the Nvidia LED Visualizer but that doesn't do anything.

Which card do you think is better between the Gaming X and Strix?

After testing them both out and bench marking them if you can afford the extra $30 and find one then the STRIX is a little better IMO.

Nothing wrong with the Gaming X though and if you can get your hands on one then get it. Especially with how stock for these cards are.

I like the Aorus as well. Just waiting for my replacement to come in.

Skyr

Which card do you think is better between the Gaming X and Strix?

They are very similar in perfomance. If I would care about looks I would have gone with the Strix for sure.
As that isn't important to me I went with the Gaming X and saved a few bucks along the way.
Well that and because I have had a flawless experience with MSI cards in the past..

It's about to be delivered now.
6.5h left at work tho :(

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Very quick-rough framerate comparisons based on specific vistas/scenes.

1080 OC'd
Witcher 3: 50
Dishonored 2: 70
Andromeda: 41 (menu) 41 (tempest)

1080 Ti
Witcher 3: 67
Dishonored 2: 85
Andromeda: 50 (menu) 54 (tempest)

EDIT: Can someone explain to me how OCing works on these cards? I ask because, like my Gainward 1080, the advertised clocks are lower than what Afterburner actually reports before I apply any OC of my own.
For example, with this Gigabyte Auros 1080 Ti, all I've done is install the hardware and re-install my drivers. Afterburner detects it correctly. I am not running any Gigabyte specific software, nor am I applying any OC through Afterburner like I did with my standard Gainward 1080.
Nevertheless, Afterburner is reporting a core MHz rate of 1900 - 2000 (fluctuating) while running games, despite the card advertised with "1708MHz boost clock in OC mode".
My Gainward 1080 was similar; the card would aggressively clock up high beyond advertised OC boost before I'd even touched it.
Why? Is it due to low temps?

Cerbero

1080 OC'd

1080 Ti

EDIT: Can someone explain to me how OCing works on these cards? I ask because, like my Gainward 1080, the advertised clocks are lower than what Afterburner actually reports before I apply any OC of my own.
For example, with this Gigabyte Auros 1080 Ti, all I've done is install the hardware and re-install my drivers. Afterburner detects it correctly. I am not running any Gigabyte specific software, nor am I applying any OC through Afterburner like I did with my standard Gainward 1080.
Nevertheless, Afterburner is reporting a core MHz rate of 1900 - 2000 (fluctuating) while running games, despite the card advertised with "1708MHz boost clock in OC mode".
My Gainward 1080 was similar; the card would aggressively clock up high beyond advertised OC boost before I'd even touched it.

It's called gpu boost, the same thing happens on maxwell cards.

dr_rus

1080 OC'd

1080 Ti

Stated boost clocks are what you would get under very heavy load. Most games do not in fact stress the cards that much (even when showing 99% utilization) so that headroom is used for clock boost above the base figure. Temps play their part here too as the boost ramp is related to temps the card is running on.

Wow, that's much more expensive than the US release.
Well a weak £ and 20% VAT will bump it up a bit. Still I got my 1080 last year for £650. £799 for the 1080ti isn't too bad (Asus ROG Strix).

Actually that was a very lucky link for me. I looked at my Very.co.uk and, surprise surprise it now says June for delivery, even though when I ordered it said in stock. So I've gone and ordered the Gigabyte AORUS instead which is not ideal as I was going to use the very convenient 12 month interest free option with Very. Arseholes. Remind me not to buy from them again.

Zaph

Wow, that's much more expensive than the US release.

Well a weak £ and 20% VAT will bump it up a bit. Still I got my 1080 last year for £650. £799 for the 1080ti isn't too bad (Asus ROG Strix).

The custom card prices are all inflated, and that Amazon price is actually cheaper than the other retailers. Even with the weak pound, 20% VAT and higher price of doing business in Europe, it should still be around £749.

If you buy Nvidia branded cards directly from their store, it's all $1=£1, which makes much more sense.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
It's called gpu boost, the same thing happens on maxwell cards.

Stated boost clocks are what you would get under very heavy load. Most games do not in fact stress the cards that much (even when showing 99% utilization) so that headroom is used for clock boost above the base figure. Temps play their part here too as the boost ramp is related to temps the card is running on.

Makes sense. I guess I just find it odd that cards are advertised as X but in reality will operate at Y for a vast majority of games.

This at 4K?

1440p.
The Witcher 3 results are skewered as I'm using a lot of ini tweaks that put huge strain on CPU/GPU usage due to shadow complexity and foliage render distance.

Dave_6

1440p.
The Witcher 3 results are skewered as I'm using a lot of ini tweaks that put huge strain on CPU/GPU usage due to shadow complexity and foliage render distance.

Ah ok. I'm at 1440p too and looking to upgrade to a 1080ti but I'm going to upgrade the PC too (still on a 3570K and 8 gigs of RAM). Are you running ME:A maxed out?

Pagusas

Elden Member
For andromeda I'm using 4k/80% scale all ultra and getting a locked 60fps (with occasional blips that seem unrelated to any graphic issue). Temporal AA does a great job masking any scaling issues.

Looks wayyyy better than 1440p native being scaled by the TV, and my Tv has the best upscaler in the business (Sony 75x940c)

This game looks gorgeous in HDR. Best HDR game I've seen yet (and my first pc hdr game)

Also I'm locked 60 in Witcher 3 native 4k, hair works turned off. No drops what so ever (Using RTSS for measuring, perfect frame timings)

Orion514

For andromeda I'm using 4k/80% scale all ultra and getting a locked 60fps (with occasional blips that seem unrelated to any graphic issue). Temporal AA does a great job masking any scaling issues.

Looks wayyyy better than 1440p native being scaled by the TV, and my Tv has the best upscaler in the business (Sony 75x940c)

This game looks gorgeous in HDR. Best HDR game I've seen yet (and my first pc hdr game)

Also I'm locked 60 in Witcher 3 native 4k, hair works turned off. No drops what so ever (Using RTSS for measuring, perfect frame timingings)

Based CDPR, obviously.

EatChildren

Ah ok. I'm at 1440p too and looking to upgrade to a 1080ti but I'm going to upgrade the PC too (still on a 3570K and 8 gigs of RAM). Are you running ME:A maxed out?

Ultra everything, no AA, with 1.20 resolution scaling.

So what's looking like the best option right now for cooling\temps? That MSI one seems good.

1440p.

I had a feeling.

I always reset my settings back to factory ultra when testing performance. It's not hard to re-enable all that shiz with the ultimate graphics options mod (no more INI tweaking).

Skyr

I just installed my MSI GTX 1080 ti gaming x and wow. I got really really bad coilwhine.
Even limiting games to 60 fps its very audible.

Anyone here who had a similar experience with it?

It really bums be out as my 1070 gaming x has zero coilwhine.

What should I do? :(

The Dude

I just installed my MSI GTX 1080 ti gaming x and wow. I got really really bad coilwhine.

I'd send it back, anytime I get serious coil whine it goes back

hooch1

Neo Member
So what's looking like the best option right now for coolingtemps? That MSI one seems good.

I had a feeling.

I always reset my settings back to factory ultra when testing performance. It's not hard to re-enable all that shiz with the ultimate graphics options mod (no more INI tweaking).

Founders with an EVGA hybrid cooler. A little expensive but worth it for the massive OC at whisper quiet noise level.

Arkanius

I almost want to build a full loop JUST for my GPU since my CPU is very well cooled with the Noctua NH-D15

EVGA is taking their sweet time releasing the Hybrid kit for the 1080 Ti. And I do not want to pay for the 1080 one just to dremmel and modify the shroud.
How much would it take me to buy a GPU block + radiator + Pump/Reservoir just for the GPU? 200-300€?

(Europe btw)

Founders with an EVGA hybrid cooler. A little expensive but worth it for the massive OC at whisper quiet noise level.

I don't think my case can accommodate that cooler. It's a bloody mess right now. Doesn't it OC the same regardless, with ~2Ghz being a ceiling for air and water?

Pagusas

Elden Member
I don't think my case can accommodate that cooler. It's a bloody mess right now. Doesn't it OC the same regardless, with ~2Ghz being a ceiling for air and water?

Yep, watercooling a 1080ti is about noise only untill we get some voltage mod bios. Right now all the cards are voltage limited. You can overclock them to the max and still be at 66% fan speed and low 70's in temp if your case has good airflow. So yeah, until we can really start upping the voltage we are all capped around the 2ghz area.

I feel like all the cards no matter what will have some sort of coil whine. I tried 3 different cards with 2 different power supplies and they all have some sort of coil whine that mostly disappeared by closing up my case and not having the side of the computer less than a foot away from my ear.

There's been reports from card reviewers that they have exhibited some coil whine in most reviews. Just seems to be a Pascal thing as the 1080s suffered from this as well. You can try playing the silicon lottery but you'll probably just end up with coil whine at a slightly lesser degree.

On a side note looks like Newegg just refunded me for my Aorus RMA instead of sending me another card. Might just stick with the ASUS then.

cube001

Are the AORUS cards essentially the same with different clock speeds only?

Can the xtreme version be overclocked higher than the non-xtreme one?

Are the AORUS cards essentially the same with different clock speeds only?

Can the xtreme version be overclocked higher than the non-xtreme one?

Xtreme has higher out of the box clocks and a backplate. Other than that they are essentially the same.

I keep seeing posts on their reddit of the same issues I was having where the Gaming and OC modes in the stock software don't work and the cards can overheat to 84 degrees and shut off. I thought I just got a dud but I've seen multiple posts over the last day all with the same issues I had. Wonder if there is some QC issues over at Gigabyte right now. Really is a shame because I love the look of the card and the advertised features.

The STRIX has been the best card out of the 3 I have gotten overall which is surprising to me considering my history with their products. Guess they really stepped up their game.

Loving my 1080 Ti EVGA Hybrid setup. Whisper quiet & hasn't gone above 55 C in stress tests. Never going air cooling with a GPU ever again. My PC is finally silent!

Yeesh. Amazon have delivery of the Aorus 1080ti for between 13th-22nd April even though I ordered it with +3 in stock. I'm thinking they actually ran out and didn't update as 20th April seems to be the date most shops are getting theirs in.

Xtreme has higher out of the box clocks and a backplate. Other than that they are essentially the same.

I keep seeing posts on their reddit of the same issues I was having where the Gaming and OC modes in the stock software don't work and the cards can overheat to 84 degrees and shut off. I thought I just got a dud but I've seen multiple posts over the last day all with the same issues I had. Wonder if there is some QC issues over at Gigabyte right now. Really is a shame because I love the look of the card and the advertised features.

The STRIX has been the best card out of the 3 I have gotten overall which is surprising to me considering my history with their products. Guess they really stepped up their game.

What's great about the ti Strix? I know their 1080 wasn't all that.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Ah ok, wouldn't use the fan headers, but if it keeps as cool and quiet as the Aorus, then that's up high on the list.

Don't exclude the Gaming X either. I've had a lot of time with it now and it's a keeper in regards to overclocking and noise level. Maybe not as good as the Strix, but very close.

Ah ok, wouldn't use the fan headers, but if it keeps as cool and quiet as the Aorus, then that's up high on the list.

The Aorus seems hit or miss right now. My card as well as more than multiple posts about high temps and inability to overclock make it seem like the least sure choice right now. I was looking forward to that card so much too.

This is probably the card to get now:

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/8140/zotac-geforce-gtx-1080-ti-amp-extreme-edition-review/index.html

I will be trying to get one of these with the refund I got from the Aorus. Wonder if the FTW3 will stack up to this?

Good luck! Hope yours works out better than mine.

So far so good. Firestrike Extreme score 13352, which is in line with what should be expected from review benchmarks. Boost clock is 1987 Mhz without any attempt at overclocking. Max temp during the run was 61C. I'll have to do some more long term testing to see where temps end up but I don't know if it's worth overclocking beyond 1987 considering these cards typically tap out just a bit higher than that anyway.

Don't exclude the Gaming X either. I've had a lot of time with it now and it's a keeper in regards to overclocking and noise level. Maybe not as good as the Strix, but very close.

I'm selling my 1080 Gaming X, and I have to say it's great, so I guess it could make sense to choose the ti variant.

The Aorus seems hit or miss right now. My card as well as more than multiple posts about high temps and inability to overclock make it seem like the least sure choice right now. I was looking forward to that card so much too.

This is probably the card to get now:

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/8140/zotac-geforce-gtx-1080-ti-amp-extreme-edition-review/index.html

I will be trying to get one of these with the refund I got from the Aorus. Wonder if the FTW3 will stack up to this?

That sounds disappointing, think I'm put off it now lol.

The Dude

Where are the multiple Aorus posts on the subject? I have only read positive impressions mainly, it's got nothing but praise on Amazon and Newegg reviews pretty much.

I've been running Heaven benchmark, Ultra, 1440p for 30 minutes and still running. Temps stablized at exactly 70C. Boost clock is 1949 Mhz, Mem clock at 11232 Mhz out of the box. I'm very happy with that. It's even pretty warm in the house today.

Top Bottom