• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti launch/review day - 2017/03/09

Pagusas

Elden Member
One thing I've been watching closely, all the great performers for these aftermarket cards have HUGE heatsinks. The strix, Gaming X and Aorus all have 2.5 slot coolers basically (I think the strix might actually be just a bit thinner then the other two).

The EVGA FTW3 will have the smallest heatsink of all of them, by a good margin. It will be very interesting to see if it can keep up.

Where are the multiple Aorus posts on the subject? I have only read positive impressions mainly, it's got nothing but praise on Amazon and Newegg reviews pretty much.

The gigabyte gaming reddit.

The Zotac was put up on Newegg but it sold out very quickly. I did manage to snag one though.

Amazon is taking preoreders for the Zotac Amp! Extreme also.

One thing I've been watching closely, all the great performers for these aftermarket cards have HUG heatsinks. The strix, Gaming X and Aorus all have 2.5 slot coolers basically (I think the strix might actually be just a bit thinner then the other two).

The EVGA FTW3 will have the smallest heatsink of all of them, by a good margin. It will be very interesting to see if it can keep up.

This is the one card I want to see reviews on the most. Wonder what magic they used to match the other 4 cards performance in .5 to 1 slot less.

Pagusas

Elden Member

The Zotac was put up on Newegg but it sold out very quickly. I did manage to snag one though.

This is the one card I want to see reviews on the most. Wonder what magic they used to match the other 4 cards performance in .5 to 1 slot less.

How are you getting your money back for all the cards you don't keep? Also super interested in the Zotac.

The Aorus seems hit or miss right now. My card as well as more than multiple posts about high temps and inability to overclock make it seem like the least sure choice right now. I was looking forward to that card so much too.

This is probably the card to get now:

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/8140/zotac-geforce-gtx-1080-ti-amp-extreme-edition-review/index.html

I will be trying to get one of these with the refund I got from the Aorus. Wonder if the FTW3 will stack up to this?

Wasn't the 1080 version of this card a bit rubbish? I have to say though, this sounds amazing.

I mean rubbish as in noisy and high temps?

The Dude

Ah I see, I never use reddit tbh. But I'll just have to see.

Reading this thread has went from awesome to just like depressing with how fast opinions change on these cards. I mean I dunno, I feel they all can have batches and issues. I never considered zotac in all my years, always rolled with evga for the most part but changing up to Gigabyte was a leap and now if people are down on it that just sucks.. Hope mine has no issues tomorrow.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Newegg just refunded me on my RMA since they didnt have any stock. Wasn't going to get the Zotac and just get another Aorus.

If the past is any indication that zotac should be the fastest of all the cards.

Ah I see, I never use reddit tbh. But I'll just have to see.

Reading this thread has went from awesome to just like depressing with how fast opinions change on these cards. I mean I dunno, I feel they all can have batches and issues. I never considered zotac in all my years, always rolled with evga for the most part but changing up to Gigabyte was a leap and now if people are down on it that just sucks.. Hope mine has no issues tomorrow.

They will indeed all have issues in a small percent of them. I'd say go with a Strix or Gaming X for now and avoid armors and the aorus until we find out more info on how wide spread the issues are. I think everyone will be safe with the FTW3 also due to EVGA's rep.

The Dude

If the past is any indication that zotac should be the fastest of all the cards.

They will indeed all have issues in a small percent of them. I'd say go with a Strix or Gaming X for now and avoid armors and the aorus until we find out more info on how wide spread the issues are. I think everyone will be safe with the FTW3 also due to EVGA's rep.

It's just one of those things Is all.. The Aorus was getting sweet reviews and I ordered it already and it's arriving tomorrow, and I mean I hate going thru the RMA stuff with Newegg sometimes.

I have a ftw3 still ore ordered, but I was hoping the Aorus was the one.

When you say the zotac should be the fastest card, how much are we talking... My goal was to buy the fastest possible or least close to it. Is it one of those things where yes on paper it's numbers are higher but the difference in real time performance is negligible to where they all will perform about the same?

Pagusas

Elden Member
It's just one of those things Is all.. The Aorus was getting sweet reviews and I ordered it already and it's arriving tomorrow, and I mean I hate going thru the RMA stuff with Newegg sometimes.

I have a ftw3 still ore ordered, but I was hoping the Aorus was the one.

When you say the zotac should be the fastest card, how much are we talking... My goal was to buy the fastest possible or least close to it. Is it one of those things where yes on paper it's numbers are higher but the difference in real time performance is negligible to where they all will perform about the same?

like 1-2% at best. It'll just be the best out of the box overclocked card as thats what they do. I think the boost clock for the Zotac is 1759. you can hit that with any card by manually overclocking it.

Just buy any of the major ones listed here, Gaming X, Strix, Zotac Amp, FTW3 or any other flagship card from any other manufactorer, they will all be within 1-2% of each other.

The Dude

like 1-2% at best. It'll just be the best out of the box overclocked card as thats what they do. I think the boost clock for the Zotac is 1759. you can hit that with any card by manually overclocking it.

Yea thats what I assumed, not much at all to jump thru hoops tryin to keep switching out these cards to find the perfect one.

I do wish we'd get a ftw3 comparison just to see what's up with it.

The Dude

Almost snagged a Strix for comparison but gonna pass. Really liking the reviews I am seeing on Newegg for the Aorus so I'm gonna just hang my hat in that and see what's the haps tomorrow when I get it before making other arrangements.

Orion514

Okay, I did some measurements of my MSI 980 Ti Gaming 6GB and the dimensions are basically the same as a Gaming X so I'm going to jump on it....If B&H weren't celebrating Passover with their online store closed.

PFD

Okay, I did some measurements of my MSI 980 Ti Gaming 6GB and the dimensions are basically the same as a Gaming X so I'm going to jump on it....If B&H weren't celebrating Passover with their online store closed.

I thought the Gaming X was a 2.5 slotter?

Welp.

Back to the ol' 980Ti as I wait for EVGA to send me my updated 1080. Then I have to do it all again when the 1080Ti's become step up-able.

Better than having to resell it, I guess.

Welp.

Back to the ol' 980Ti as I wait for EVGA to send me my updated 1080. Then I have to do it all again when the 1080Ti's become step up-able.

Better than having to resell it, I guess.

I'm in the middle of this - my ICX-upgraded 1080 just arrived at EVGA, waiting for them to ship out the 1080ti. I'm guessing you're waiting for the non-FE version? I decided to go the FE-with-Hybrid-kit route.

Pagusas

Elden Member
My Gaming X comes tomorrow and Forza Horizon goes on sale. Its kismet.

I got forza for $18 during that target pricing error for the Xbox one. It's cross play so I also got the pc version for free. Sadly with no HDR support the PC version looks far worse than the One version, even at 4k/60. Resolution can't make up for that beautiful hdr

Feels so good to be off SLI again.

Oh yes it is. My friend said I was making stuff up when I told him something was off, and that I was getting a slight frame stutter. But going back to a single card setup I can def tell the micro stutter is gone. Now we all buttery smooth again. Never going back to a SLI system even though two cards do look cool in a system.
MSI Sli 780 Ti's
zwplS77.jpg

To a single AORUS GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Xtreme
pAfpDgK.jpg

This card is beefy :)
esxa7jq.jpg

Jumpman

I got the MSI gtx 1080ti Gaming X and getting the free game from the Nvidia promo seems to be impossible. After registering on their site and checking promotions I see no way to choose Ghost Recon or For Honor for purchasing a GPU. There are various promotions for laptops, mobos, etc, but for GPU's the lone 1080ti option appears to be a season pass for said games. The fuck? Why would I want a season pass for games I don't own due to MSI not having a way to choose one?

I don't think I missed anything, but if someone has an explanation for this I'm interested. Otherwise let it be a warning to anyone else who buys from MSI.

The card itself is awesome though, so as long as you don't care about the free game, I'd still recommend it as a product.

twisted89

I got the MSI gtx 1080ti Gaming X and getting the free game from the Nvidia promo seems to be impossible. After registering on their site and checking promotions I see no way to choose Ghost Recon or For Honor for purchasing a GPU. There are various promotions for laptops, mobos, etc, but for GPU's the lone 1080ti option appears to be a season pass for said games. The fuck? Why would I want a season pass for games I don't own due to MSI not having a way to choose one?

I don't think I missed anything, but if someone has an explanation for this I'm interested. Otherwise let it be a warning to anyone else who buys from MSI.

The card itself is awesome though, so as long as you don't care about the free game, I'd still recommend it as a product.

Does it not give you the option here?
https://redeem.geforce.com/en-us/

For whatever reason MSI doesn't give you the typical code card that I've gotten with other offers in the past. They do it different, wanting you to register your card and activate your offer through your registered account on their website. To my knowledge no other manufacturer does it this way. :/

Asus wants you to do that, in Australia at least.

twisted89

For whatever reason MSI doesn't give you the typical code card that I've gotten with other offers in the past. They do it different, wanting you to register your card and activate your offer through your registered account on their website. To my knowledge no other manufacturer does it this way. :/

Very odd as I've pre-ordered a sea hawk EK X and the retailer has sent me the nvidia code to redeem the game when it arrives.

Edit: double checked my email and instructions for me are
Install GeForce Experience software on the PC that also has qualifying GPU installed.
- Open GeForce Experience and enter the promotional code in REDEEM box.
- Select either For Honor or Ghost Recon: Wildlands and link to your UPlay account.
- Launch Uplay and download the game.

Jumpman

Very odd as I've pre-ordered a sea hawk EK X and the retailer has sent me the nvidia code to redeem the game when it arrives.

Edit: double checked my email and instructions for me are
Install GeForce Experience software on the PC that also has qualifying GPU installed.
- Open GeForce Experience and enter the promotional code in REDEEM box.
- Select either For Honor or Ghost Recon: Wildlands and link to your UPlay account.
- Launch Uplay and download the game.

I double checked my order emails (newegg) just in case but no luck. I think I did things the right way, I just suspect MSI ran out of promotion keys before the 4/18/17 promotion deadline and aren't particularly bothered about getting more.

Qassim

My Amazon UK Aurus order from when they came in stock yesterday shipped today - hopefully get it tomorrow, otherwise it's likely to be Tuesday due to the holidays. :(

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
So did I. Thanks. Waiting on the Amazon order was stupid. Pretty sure they were out of stock when I ordered even though they said there were some in stock. This order, hopefully will work out fine. Third times the charm. (Although to be fair the Amazon order could've come tomorrow at the earliest).

I had this happen with the 1080 STRIX I imported from Amazon US last year. After a bit of arm-twisting I was refunded the shipping fee and bumped up to priority.

Edit: My FedEx tracking info hasn't updated in over 24 hours. I really hope the package arrives in the city tonight and is delivered tomorrow, otherwise I'll be stuck waiting until Tuesday thanks to the Easter long weekend.

Skyr

So I sent my Gaming X back today because of the excessive coilwhine.

Ordered the regular Aorus now which should be here on saturday.
Really hoping for some lottery luck now..

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
So far so sweet with my standard Auros. The leap from a 1080 obviously isn't mind blowing, but it's noticeable, and I feel will go some ways to maintaining high performance at high graphics settings while sticking with 1440p. VRAM too, especially if market proliferation of the PS4 Pro and Scorpio encourage devs to ship with higher quality assets.

Xyber

Oh yes it is. My friend said I was making stuff up when I told him something was off, and that I was getting a slight frame stutter. But going back to a single card setup I can def tell the micro stutter is gone. Now we all buttery smooth again. Never going back to a SLI system even though two cards do look cool in a system.

Your friend can't have read much about SLI problems if he said you were making stuff up. Because microstutter is like one of the biggest complaints about SLI and the main reason why I will never consider it in its current state.

So far so sweet with my standard Auros. The leap from a 1080 obviously isn't mind blowing, but it's noticeable, and I feel will go some ways to maintaining high performance at high graphics settings while sticking with 1440p. VRAM too, especially if market proliferation of the PS4 Pro and Scorpio encourage devs to ship with higher quality assets.

What kind of OC have you managed? What's your temps and noise like?

My Amazon UK Aurus order from when they came in stock yesterday shipped today - hopefully get it tomorrow, otherwise it's likely to be Tuesday due to the holidays. :(
That's interesting. I had the same card (assuming it wasn't the Xtreme Aurus) and I cancelled around 13:00 as it was still waiting for dispatch. Hopefully ebuyer (never used them before) will be good for tomorrow.

I know it's not the go to screenshot game but Elite Dangerous, ultra settings, 144hz, 1440p with 1.5x Supersampling so so good. Too bad they broke the star texture load in when you first jump to a new system. One of the most iconic and impressive moments in the game currently looks like shit now.

Pagusas

Elden Member
I know it's not the go to screenshot game but Elite Dangerous, ultra settings, 144hz, 1440p with 1.5x Supersampling so so good. Too bad they broke the star texture load in when you first jump to a new system. One of the most iconic and impressive moments in the game currently looks like shit now.

When did it get broke?

Edit: I see its been reported and they are aware of it: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...ng-and-pop-in-after-entering-system?p=5368609

Q8D3vil

Got Asus strix oc.
too bad the 16x pcie 3 doesnt work and i have to use it on the second pcie 3 (8x) for now.
i want to upgrade ( on 4790k 4.8) but the 6 cores rumor is too damn tempting.

Top Bottom