• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia RTX 30XX |OT|

DeaDPo0L84

Well, the RTX 3090 isn't the full GA102 chip; it's cut down from that chip, though not by much. Hence, presumably, Nvidia could release the full chip in the form of a real Titan, but it'd probably be barely faster and consume ridiculous amounts of electricity.

Makes sense, I got a 3090 ordered but am still on the lookout for a 3080 cause for gaming @ 1440p the 3090 is a bit extreme. But it's also the only card I could actually purchase and I don't want to wait till next year to finally play the games I want to play.

Mista

Banned
Makes sense, I got a 3090 ordered but am still on the lookout for a 3080 cause for gaming @ 1440p the 3090 is a bit extreme. But it's also the only card I could actually purchase and I don't want to wait till next year to finally play the games I want to play.
Pull the trigger. You aren’t buying a garbage product at the end of the day + you won’t need to upgrade for couple of years.

DeaDPo0L84

Pull the trigger. You aren’t buying a garbage product at the end of the day + you won’t need to upgrade for couple of years.

I would hope a $1,500 gpu would last a bit longer than 2 years lol. But honestly I don't know.

Last edited:

Nydus

I would hope a $1,500 gpu would last a bit longer than 2 years lol. But honestly I don't know.
I would be a bit worried at the resale price. Newer generations will murder the 3090 and it's used price will crash hard. Even more since Nvidia doesn't seem to give it real titan drivers. Is a bit hampered in some productivity scenarios. :/

But when you have 1500€ for a GPU, that might be no real concern 😅

The store that I used to purchase my 3090 is at least very transparent when it comes to how bad the stock situation is. This is a part of their statement:

Gigabyte, a few RTX 3080 video cards are expected this week.
MSI, some RTX 3080 video cards are expected this week.
Asus, there are hopes for some Asus RTX 3080 video cards this week.
Inno3D, for next week we have been promised 5x RTX 3080 cards, for week 41 (5 to 9 October) Inno3D promises us another 10x 3080 and 5x 3090.
This does not exclude that we will also receive RTX 3080 and 3090 video cards from other brands, we will keep you informed on this page.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
The store that I used to purchase my 3090 is at least very transparent when it comes to how bad the stock situation is. This is a part of their statement:

Inno3D, for next week we have been promised 5x RTX 3080 cards, for week 41 (5 to 9 October) Inno3D promises us another 10x 3080 and 5x 3090.
This does not exclude that we will also receive RTX 3080 and 3090 video cards from other brands, we will keep you informed on this page.
Oh wow. That's like 30 cards till the end of year... Fuck

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Cool, I just received an email from Amazon UK confirming the ASUS TUF Gaming 3080 I ordered finally has an estimated arrival date of September 30th - October 3rd, yay!
Nice !
Any idea how is gigabyte eagle and msi ventus? I might give up the FE dream...

Have you seen the Amazon warehouse supposed stock. There's like 1k total until the end of October.

I mean for fucks sake this is ridiculous. What kind of pathetic manufacturing capabilities do these guys have? I have never heard of stores receiving as little as 1-3 units for any sort of electronic item. I hope this bites them in the ass, and AMD has plenty of stock and picks up all these orders Nvidia hasn't been able to fulfill.

nemiroff

Gold Member

I noticed some online stores here in Norway started adding "January 2021" / "up to 2 months delivery" text for the 3080s a couple of days ago.. I can't confirm whether this is just protecting themselves against a overpromise, but it doesn't exactly bode well..

Anyone get the idea that there isn't going to be a 3080 TI? There's literly no performance room between the 3080 and 3090, none! I guess they could just add ram but whats the odds of that? It would be the first time a Ti just means ram increase.

It has been mentioned yes.. In my ignorant opinion they would have to refresh the entire series, including the 3090, with a new processor to get away with it. Also, considering the 16Gigabit die size for GDDR6X is at the planning stage and due "sometime" in 2021, don't expect models with more memory anytime soon. ...Unless they go for larger sized PCBs/cards with sandwiched 8Gb chips and larger cooling like the 3090, which I would gather is kinda unrealistic, no? Or..? Experts in the field; What do you say..?

Disclaimer: I'm just pulling stuff out of my ass here, so by no means take any of this as fact.

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned
Guys, I had to bite the bullet and cater to the scalpers. :messenger_pensive:

Got a 3090 FE on Ebay for $2,400. Hopefully the sell of my 2080Ti will offset some of the overages and I can write off the board on my 2020 taxes.

I just don't have the time to scour the internet trying to find this board and I'm not promised that there will be enough units that demand will drop.

Last edited:

Mista

Banned

Got a 3090 FE on Ebay for $2,400. Hopefully the sell of my 2080Ti will offset some of the overages and I can write off the board on my 2020 taxes.

I just don't have the time to scour the internet trying to find this board and I'm not promised that there will be enough units that demand will drop.
What the fuck are you doing man?! Don’t let those fuckers win! You already have a superb GPU. Can’t wait for extra month or two?

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Ya i am just constantly refreshing search results on amazon sites for 3080/3090. Almost had a 3080 last night but when i added it to my cart it was gone.

VFXVeteran

Banned
Ya i am just constantly refreshing search results on amazon sites for 3080/3090. Almost had a 3080 last night but when i added it to my cart it was gone.

I was so close 3x with a Gigabyte card on Best Buy. All 3x I had it in my cart and it wouldn't let me select "Online order" and kept it in "Local Store" where I could not check out. I was so frustrated and angry at that it just made me lash out and go on ebay. Even there the boards were being sold every second at $2,500/pop.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
I was so close 3x with a Gigabyte card on Best Buy. All 3x I had it in my cart and it wouldn't let me select "Online order" and kept it in "Local Store" where I could not check out. I was so frustrated and angry at that it just made me lash out and go on ebay. Even there the boards were being sold every second at $2,500/pop.

It really makes me angry lol, but I just cant overpay, I cant. I mean i might pay 1K for a OC 3080 or something MAX, but thats it.

Ill just have to hold off on playing DOOM Eternal DLC until I have one because i really want to play it maxed out at 144hz/1440p

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Anyway... I can prepare for 3080 and get psu.
Mt 550w is not enough. I can probably aim for 750W and I wat something quiet.

Maybe Be Quiet Straight power 11? Or pure power 11? pure power is cheaper

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Those looking really need to turn to open source bots and the communities around them for some help. There are open source ones that are just trying to help people find 1 card. They aren't really capable of buying the cards, but they can put one in your cart and notify you.

I had one running on Nvidia. It carted the 3080 but I didn't have my PC audio on, nor did I have any notification in the script. I joked about that clear success for the bot, and failure for me in the chat that morning, I left for a meeting and came back to the discord after failing to complete 4 orders on newegg for the various 3090s. The bot couldn't run for the 3090s because there was no product ID available at the time. Someone was able to find a link to the 3090 FE when Nvidia was pointing me to the UK store and I was then able to buy it. This was after a solid week of refreshing, getting caught with cards in carts while websites tanked ( evga 2x, zotac, newegg) having orders cancelled ( amazon.de, zotac on US amazon) some fraud blocks, and the bullshit that is best buy.

The point is, there are smart people trying to figure out how to outbot the scalpers so normal people can have a better shot at getting 1 card at MSRP without having to always be F5ing. I am still trying to find a 3080 because I am not really comfortable being a guy that pays 2x for a card that does 1.1x. As an engineer I find that tradeoff ridiculous. Though it could mean I keep the card for 6 years instead of 4 like my 1080 and don't have to go through this shit again until the 6080s drop.

Nice !
Any idea how is gigabyte eagle and msi ventus? I might give up the FE dream...

No idea man, but it seems the ASUS TUF is a safe bet (uses Multilayer Ceramic Chip Capacitors).

Btw, Amazon.co.uk just charged me both 3080s, however the EVGA still is showing the Delivery Date Pending status message, weird

Ascend

giphy.gif

BluRayHiDef

Banned

Absolutely disgraceful.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Those looking really need to turn to open source bots and the communities around them for some help. There are open source ones that are just trying to help people find 1 card. They aren't really capable of buying the cards, but they can put one in your cart and notify you.

I had one running on Nvidia. It carted the 3080 but I didn't have my PC audio on, nor did I have any notification in the script. I joked about that clear success for the bot, and failure for me in the chat that morning, I left for a meeting and came back to the discord after failing to complete 4 orders on newegg for the various 3090s. The bot couldn't run for the 3090s because there was no product ID available at the time. Someone was able to find a link to the 3090 FE when Nvidia was pointing me to the UK store and I was then able to buy it. This was after a solid week of refreshing, getting caught with cards in carts while websites tanked ( evga 2x, zotac, newegg) having orders cancelled ( amazon.de, zotac on US amazon) some fraud blocks, and the bullshit that is best buy.

The point is, there are smart people trying to figure out how to outbot the scalpers so normal people can have a better shot at getting 1 card at MSRP without having to always be F5ing. I am still trying to find a 3080 because I am not really comfortable being a guy that pays 2x for a card that does 1.1x. As an engineer I find that tradeoff ridiculous. Though it could mean I keep the card for 6 years instead of 4 like my 1080 and don't have to go through this shit again until the 6080s drop.

Thanks for this. I just now looked into some bots like you refer to. They seem cool but it seem you need some linix knowledge which I just dont have. But I did find a bot which constantly scans inventory and then runs a twitter account based on that, so I just started following it and turned notifications on.

Last edited:

Ascend

Not sure if already posted:

This whole launch has been rushed. I do not believe the number of cards are as high as we have been led to believe either. I think even Gamers Nexus might be wrong here. Sure, they spoke to AIB partners, and they claim to have had as many cards as the 2000 series launch... But would they really say that they couldn't make enough cards on time because nVidia didn't supply them with enough information on how to make these cards? There are too many red flags to see this as just another normal nVidia launch that has abnormally high demand. It's more likely that it's a limited stock launch with normal demand.

Last edited:

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
No idea man, but it seems the ASUS TUF is a safe bet (uses Multilayer Ceramic Chip Capacitors).

Btw, Amazon.co.uk just charged me both 3080s, however the EVGA still is showing the Delivery Date Pending status message, weird

If you get 2 Id happily pay some shipping to Europe (and the price of course :messenger_squinting_tongue: )

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.

Lemme guess ...You're Dutch and you ordered a card at Megekko.nl

Latest news what that they'd receive 24 Asus Tuff cards on the 30th. I happen to be number 15 (out of 101) for this card. So I'm good.

Just enter your order number and postal code at the bottom of the page.
50 out of 96. No bueno.

Edit: this is for Asus TUF 3090. No word in their statement on when they will receive these cards.

In other words: they sold something that they don't even have. No bueno.

Last edited:

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
50 out of 96. No bueno.

Edit: this is for Asus TUF 3090. No word in their statement on when they will receive these cards.

In other words: they sold something that they don't even have. No bueno.

There aren't any stores that have these cards in stock. Everybody is on a waiting list. If you cancel you order and order a card somewhere else you'll end up on a waiting list again - but then you'll be last on that list instead of somewhere in the middle.

I expect that once cards start shipping the waiting lists will get shorter. There are quite a lot of people who have hedged their bets and ordered multiple cards. Once they get their 3080, they will (hopefully) cancel their remaining orders.

There aren't any stores that have these cards in stock. Everybody is on a waiting list. If you cancel you order and order a card somewhere else you'll end up on a waiting list again - but then you'll be last on that list instead of somewhere in the middle.

I expect that once cards start shipping the waiting lists will get shorter. There are quite a lot of people who have hedged their bets and ordered multiple cards. Once they get their 3080, they will (hopefully) cancel their remaining orders.
I get that but they should know how many units they can expect on day one and not sell more with "next day delivery". My order's delivery date still shows 25/09. It's just shitty planning on their side.

Last edited:

Rikkori

The sad thing is that that's probably still a good decision. These 3090s will be like gold dust, no one's really gonna be able to get one and they make very few of them because the chip is even less cut down than the 3080. For work purposes the extra cost is likely justifiable.
There's not gonna be a real stock pump until February anyway (when new big orders at the fab are actually going to result in cards). People will fight tooth & nail over what else is trickling out before then.

Last edited:

kruis

I get that but they should knew how many units they can expect on day one and not sell more with "next day delivery". My order's delivery date still shows 25/09. It's just shitty planning on their side.

That would be financial suicide when all of their competitors accept pre-orders for cards that have no delivery date.

That would be financial suicide when all of their competitors accept pre-orders for cards that have no delivery date.
They can still accept orders. My problem is that when I bought it, it figured as 'next-day' suggesting that they had them in stock. Hell, even now my order is due to be delivered today.

Leverdatum
25-09-2020

No bueno. The entire website is ass. After I finish the application I'm working on now, I will start building my own online store.

nemiroff

Gold Member
My 3080 TUF is confirmed to arrive October 27 which is mildly irritating because the Reverb G2 is confirmed for October 12 (or it's a blessing because of firmware and driver updates).. At least it'll arrive before 2077.

Last edited:

DeaDPo0L84

It will. What do you have currently?

We both use a 27" 1440p/144hz monitor. Havent really seen the need to move to 4k unless I increase the size of our monitor which againnwont be anytime soon.

I was actually thinking of giving the 3090 to my wife cause she does digital art which she does just fine on her 2070s but I think she'd have more use of it than me.

Mista

Banned
We both use a 27" 1440p/144hz monitor. Havent really seen the need to move to 4k unless I increase the size of our monitor which againnwont be anytime soon.

I was actually thinking of giving the 3090 to my wife cause she does digital art which she does just fine on her 2070s but I think she'd have more use of it than me.
Yeah she’ll benefit from the 3090 more than you. The 3090 is a great gpu for rendering and all that. But I meant what gpu do you currently own?

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
LOL whats this about -

66K for a 3080. You think people are driving up the price with no intention of paying to fuck with scalpers?

EDIT -ya something is going on because there are a lot of listings like this, bidders driving the price up to 15K+. They cant be paying that right?

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
LOL whats this about -

66K for a 3080. You think people are driving up the price with no intention of paying to fuck with scalpers?

EDIT -ya something is going on because there are a lot of listings like this, bidders driving the price up to 15K+. They cant be paying that right?
Nope. People will buy

Top Bottom