• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia RTX 30XX |OT|

PS6 will probably be able to do full path tracing at this rate. In the meantime, the rate Nvidia is going, PC gaming will obviously see that first. Stacked GPU next? GeForce 4000 series gonna be nuts.

longdi

Banned
Also if you put these ampere cards with water cooling, you can get constant 2-2.2ghz clocks, that will give another 25% of sustained TF performance. :messenger_bicep:

Hodl!
Nvidia is going ex dividend tomorrow, and with sell the news today, good time to load up on Fri imo

ok you have a trustworthy face

477.jpg

Gp1

36 Tflops on the top card. NVIDIA STAP!!!

So considering all we saw on this live, i definitely expect a RTX 3060 way above xbox/ps5 level.

SantaC

The story here is how ludicrously NVidia was able to price-gouge because AMD did not make a high end card last time around.

The 3080 is 200% as powerful as the 2080 for the same price rofl. NVidia just kicked their own customers who just bought 2080 tis and 2080s in the nads.

The story here is how ludicrously NVidia was able to price-gouge because AMD did not make a high end card last time around.

The 3080 is 200% as powerful as the 2080 for the same price rofl. NVidia just kicked their own customers who just bought 2080 tis and 2080s in the nads.
Sell old-gen high-end cards to miners (?) and buy new stuff.

The 3070 will fly off the shelves. 499 is insane for that performance.

Meanwhile at AMD...

Papacheeks

Banned
Because supply is low and demand is high = expensive.

24GB VRAM is future proof and shows off E-peen, things gamers care about.

None of these cards are only meant for gaming and nothing else. It's a GPU. It's in a PC. There's a lot of uses for them. However, the GEFORCE brand, is specifically about gaming and gaming related experiences.

you know nothing about render cards and content creation it's clear. The Titan series are for the upmost enthusiast, but also serve as a viable option for those that content create in heavy specific loads. Hence the higher amount of memory compared to their flagship.

On top of them wanting to have the title of fastest gaming GPU.

It serves more than one sector.

You will see 3090's in their render farms. They even mentioned what they have setup for AI are the 3090's.

the real tragic thing about AMD is, they could have had a performance crown rDNA 1 64-80 CU card out for a whole year by now.

when it comes to graphics Lisa Su hasn't made as good calls as in the other branches

SantaC

The 3070 will fly off the shelves. 499 is insane for that performance
Meanwhile at AMD...
If AMD went away Nvidia will go back to pricegauging again.

the real tragic thing about AMD is, they could have had a performance crown rDNA 1 64-80 CU card out for a whole year by now.

when it comes to graphics Lisa Su hasn't made as good calls as in the other branches
Well covid19 happned

Last edited:

Godfavor

70 to 80 percent performance boost, that's crazy

Hmm, doing the calculations of the shader cores suggest a 30TF card.

Judging from the 80% improvement scalability of the benchmarks, it is more like at a 20TF range, and the 2080 is already about 11 TF.

This means that the new shader performance is 33% slower. But still a win as they doubled the cores.

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
you know nothing about render cards and content creation it's clear. The Titan series are for the upmost enthusiast, but also serve as a viable option for those that content create in heavy specific loads. Hence the higher amount of memory compared to their flagship.

On top of them wanting to have the title of fastest gaming GPU.

It serves more than one sector.

You will see 3090's in their render farms. They even mentioned what they have setup for AI are the 3090's.
I don't think you realize we're saying almost the same thing. This is why I said that our "disagreement" is because our working definition of "more or less" is different.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I think competition is coming and Nvidia know it.

No way these prices are what they are without AMD having something decent up their sleeve.

Either that or Nvidia just want to nail their coffin.

It's not that big, it's under 12 inches so will fit in the vast majority of ATX cases.
I think Big Navi is going to offer a pretty good price/performance, so yeah it's keeping prices down here, but I don't think they're going to directly take on the 2080 or 2090 in performance.

I am feeling real dumb for getting a 2070 when I did, but also I have zero performance complaints right now and with a 1080p monitor I doubt I will any time soon, so I should not worry so much.

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned

ok this is epic

That's actually CDPR, the below is Epic:

:messenger_winking_tongue:

I think Big Navi is going to offer a pretty good price/performance, so yeah it's keeping prices down here, but I don't think they're going to directly take on the 2080 or 2090 in performance.

I think without DLSS-equivalent tech AMD won't be any competition at all for NV, and will have to yet again settle for budget-high FPS 1080p solutions, and maybe some slight alternative at 1440p, but nothing more. They need to step up their FidelityFX CAS algorithms just like NV updated DLSS to 2.0, otherwise 4K or RT (let alone both) will completely tank the performance.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned

The 3070 will fly off the shelves. 499 is insane for that performance.

Meanwhile at AMD...
Isn't the retail card based on the PS5 one supposed to sell for about 500?

How will that work?

Sony should have gone with Nvidia if that is the case.

FireFly

Hmm, doing the calculations of the shader cores suggest a 30TF card.

An 80% improvement goes to a 20TF range as the 2080 is already about 11 TF.

This means that the new shader performance is 33% slower. But still a win as they doubled the cores.
I guess they lose in efficiency, but gain in performance per watt and per mm. Will be interesting now AMD offers more performance per flop.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter

How will that work?

Sony probably wanted someone who could provide CPU and GPU together, and sticking with AMD makes backcompat a lot simpler.

How will that work?

Who knows.

Competition is always good. But Nvidia is just killing it in terms of performance and features (proven ones).

Exciting times.

I'm curious how far from now they'll announce ti versions of each, if at all.

I'll sit on my 2080ti for now and start getting parts together for a custom loop setup. If they haven't announced anything once I have that sorted, or the world isn't entirely on fire, I'll jump on a vendor 3080 then.

GHG

Gold Member

I am feeling real dumb for getting a 2070 when I did, but also I have zero performance complaints right now and with a 1080p monitor I doubt I will any time soon, so I should not worry so much.

Rule of thumb - don't feel dumb or regret a purchase if you've had enjoyment with the product in the time you've had it and it's served its purpose. Sometimes it's just the timing rather than the purchase itself that's the problem.

That's what I'm telling myself anyway since I'm about to lose money on my recently bought rtx card :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Have been glad to have it in the last couple of months during this pandemic so can't complain.

Hezekiah

Banned
Absolutely, but there are certain people on GAF that have been proclaiming a magic SSD made their favorite box more powerful than PCs.
And other people have been claiming their favourite box will play AAA games at 4k and 120 fps:
a322c03a94505b92e5e284e03ff0e3be.gif

#greenbergkoolaid

Last edited:

Orta

Banned
Just had a look on ebay at some second hand 2080's. Couple of poor bastards on there bidding over five hundred quid for them :messenger_grinning:

The owners are probably hoping they won't see the ampere showcase on youtube tonight.

Last edited:

INC

I see a dolphin that can't be rendered at 4k on PS5. Incredible, this is next generation gaming. If we believed in generations I mean.

8k on xbx and 120fps

Go back to flightsim, pc Simps

(This is satire for those who don't get that)

Godfavor

I expect AMD to release a card that competes with the 3080 while offering more vram. The 3090 is another story though but I dont think amd should be concerned about it.

Yeah, I believe the big Navi will have about the same performance of a 3080.. if the AMD TF can compete 1:1.

If Big Navi 80cu has a clock speed at 1.8 GHz goes around 18 TF.
RTX 3080 has 180% the performance of a 2080 according to DF. So about a 18TF card.

Last edited:

Great Hair

Banned
CmQWRqq.jpg

3x 3070 better than 1x 3090 for the same price. If your project does not require more than 8GB vram ... or can the project be splitt among the 3x vram and give the user 24GB in total? Thought that was not possible, might have changed since then.

was eating some bad fast food while doing this, don´t hurt me!

The nvidia marketing juggernaught is genius. Whack up GPU prices to such an absurd degree that when they announce a new mid tier GPU with a paltry 8gigs of GDDR in 2020 for $500 people think they're getting a deal. $500-600 used to be the normal price for the highest end Ultra and GX2 series of cards.

Top Bottom