• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift Launch Thread: Ballpark 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wallach

Oculus is apparently involved in that PC Show that is happening on Monday.

I'm really hoping for a Touch release date at E3. The engineering samples that have been getting sent out to developers the past couple months pretty clearly use retail packaging. The Rift engineering samples were the same way. In fact a couple Kickstarter edition boxes went out that still had "engineering sample" printed on the package.

On a side note, I'm glad to have my VR Lens stuff ordered finally. Hopefully will have them in hand around the end of the month.

rickyson1

says it "will be processing for shipment soon"

just curious since I checked the order page afterwards and it still said July,seems like a long time ahead of time to send emails out

edit: looks like there's a charge pending for it so guess it is shipping soon,weird that it still says July

shipped already

I am hoping they mention something next week. H2 is a few weeks away and it could be anytime between July 1st and December 31st, I guess. Better sooner than later. Curious if the people who have kits feel that it will be soon but they can't say anything.
I read one developer say that based on the newest engineering sample he had, the Touch isn't anywhere near ready for launch.

Sorry for the double post, I have a question regarding getting VR games off Steam.

Is it as simple as starting the VR game and putting on my headset or do I have to go through some other process first?

Sorry for the double post, I have a question regarding getting VR games off Steam.

Is it as simple as starting the VR game and putting on my headset or do I have to go through some other process first?

That's how it's worked for me with some games. Others have needed a setting changed in a menu before VR is active.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?

You need to start SteamVR (top right corner) and then launch the game. It will launch into the Rift.

Weevilone

Got my Rift today. Can't use it because of my glasses. I should have paid attention better and cancelled my preorder. Without my glasses, I can't read the text. On my Vive, I can use my glasses easily, and if I take them off, I can still make out text.

I'm shocked they thought this was okay. I'll look into buying a cheap, tiny pair of glasses to use with the Rift before I sell it to a friend.

Fuck.

I'm concerned about this. What type of glasses do you wear? I thought I had read and become encouraged by reading that people who just needed glasses for up-close reading wouldn't need them with VR. Perhaps that's not your situation, so checking.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
You need to start SteamVR (top right corner) and then launch the game. It will launch into the Rift.

Not always, depends on the game. Some games you can set to VR in the graphics options and it'll load up in the Rift without SteamVR, like Elite.

I think someone even mentioned closing out SteamVR if it starts up to improve performance, but I dunno if that was ever verified.

I am not even sure how Steam VR works. Every time I load it up I'm in a empty room and all I can see is my camera. I don't even know what to do next.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Not always, depends on the game. Some games you can set to VR in the graphics options and it'll load up in the Rift without SteamVR, like Elite.

I think someone even mentioned closing out SteamVR if it starts up to improve performance, but I dunno if that was ever verified.

I haven't done it in a while but I could have sworn if I just tried to launch the game it would just open SteamVR and I'd have to launch the game again.

I didn't have many VR games on Steam for the Rift though. You're probably right and it depends on the game.

XiaNaphryz

I haven't done it in a while but I could have sworn if I just tried to launch the game it would just open SteamVR and I'd have to launch the game again.

I didn't have many VR games on Steam for the Rift though. You're probably right and it depends on the game.

Some games give an option to "Open with SteamVR" or just start the application directly. I'm guessing some may automatically do it though.

I just tried AltspaceVR for the first time today.

Holy shit...

I played cards against humanity with people in VR. Listened to the CEO of Altspace do a live conference with a Q&A with people in the same VR room. Watched somebody stack about 8 beer steins on top of another player's head, threw a bunch of random shit laying around the room into fire, also threw said items into a basketball hoop made out of a barrel.

This was the most fucking insane VR experience I have had yet. And it was a social one. This experience alone was worth the cost of entry.

I read one developer say that based on the newest engineering sample he had, the Touch isn't anywhere near ready for launch.

If we're thinking about the same developer, he actually didn't say that. He said that the Touch controllers they received were clearly not made for retail, which I took to mean that they were made with lower-quality components than the final version. The sentence left a lot to interpretation.

Kevin

Mine has finally shipped. So freakin excited to give this a try and see if the Rift and VR in general is anything to actually get excited about.

So which games are worth playing on Rift? Anyone try Fated?

Soi-Fong

If we're thinking about the same developer, he actually didn't say that. He said that the Touch controllers they received were clearly not made for retail, which I took to mean that they were made with lower-quality components than the final version. The sentence left a lot to interpretation.

Really wish I can say more, but their NDA is pretty strict. We devs though are also in the dark when these will release.

So, anyway I've been thinking of getting Edge Of Nowhere, but not sure if I'm up for a horror game on the Oculus. haha

Kevin

Really wish I can say more, but their NDA is pretty strict. We devs though are also in the dark when these will release.

So, anyway I've been thinking of getting Edge Of Nowhere, but not sure if I'm up for a horror game on the Oculus. haha

For when you get a chance to try them out: Are you able to comment on how you like them and if you prefer them over the Vive controllers or not?

It's not too scary. I'm not good with horror games either but this probably had 2-3 jump scares that were not that bad at all.

I was actually worried about seeing the character you play as get mutilated but that doesn't happen. Monster grabs him, then it cuts to black.
Great use of head tracking in a 3rd person game. Makes the climbing feel more involved. Also useful for spotting enemies that might be in the shadows.

Izayoi

Banned
Just now got my order confirmation for my backer Rift...

Unbelievable, this process. They completely manhandled this launch.

Tain

I beat Lucky's Tale last night and enjoyed it more than expected. It's a solid 3D platformer and a good example of a traditional game being elevated by VR.

I beat Lucky's Tale last night and enjoyed it more than expected. It's a solid 3D platformer and a good example of a traditional game being elevated by VR.

That final boss man, wow. Showed so much potential, this game could be something really special if they put more time into it.

HyGogg

Banned

Edge of Nowhere is good, but it's more Last of Us scary than Outlast scary. It has a few jump scares sprinkled in (very few) but for the most part it's psychological creepy horror rather than give you a heat attack horror.

StudioTan

Looks like a site accidentally leaked an upcoming Star Trek VR game called Star Trek:Bridge Crew. 4 player co-op with each person taking on a specific crew role.

K2aCRhl.jpg

Fu50rm9.jpg

r6oaDLa.jpg

C8WjoAe.jpg

Wallach

Looks like a site accidentally leaked an upcoming Star Trek VR game called Star Trek:Bridge Crew. 4 player co-op with each person taking on a specific crew role.

Fuck yeah. Glorious nerd fantasy engaged.

Edit - Look's like it's Red Storm via Ubisoft making that.

Finished Edge of Nowhere, it has potential but it's way too small a game. Took me under 4 hours on hard. There are decent mechanics only used in a few ways so it's a si like game with zero replay ability. It does tell an interesting story and really the storytelling tricks with VR is the only think worth experiencing. The ending in particular shows the power of VR. At $40 I would not recommend this game.

StudioTan

Finished Edge of Nowhere, it has potential but it's way too small a game. Took me under 4 hours on hard. There are decent mechanics only used in a few ways so it's a si like game with zero replay ability. It does tell an interesting story and really the storytelling tricks with VR is the only think worth experiencing. The ending in particular shows the power of VR. At $40 I would not recommend this game.

Unfortunately that's all you're going to get right now. Nobody is making a 60-100 million dollar AAA 60 hour game for the small number of VR headset owners out there.

We're still early adopters and the value proposition is not going to be the same as you see with regular games that have 60 million potential customers.

I paid $40 for The Gallery and it took about 2 hours to complete. It's just the way it is right now, early adopters are bearing the costs to kickstart VR.

I look at more similarly to home movie prices, it's not unusual to spend $30 bucks for a Bluray for 1.5-2 hours of entertainment.

Unfortunately that's all you're going to get right now. Nobody is making a 60-100 million dollar AAA 60 hour game for the small number of VR headset owners out there.

We're still early adopters and the value proposition is not going to be the same as you see with regular games that have 60 million potential customers.

I paid $40 for The Gallery and it took about 2 hours to complete. It's just the way it is right now, early adopters are bearing the costs to kickstart VR.

I look at more similarly to home movie prices, it's not unusual to spend $30 bucks for a Bluray for 1.5-2 hours of entertainment.

Chronos is not a big budget game that feels like a fully fleshed out game and is worth it. This has nothing to do with big budgets. Just make a game that feels like a full experience.

StudioTan

Chronos is not a big budget game that feels like a fully fleshed out game and is worth it. This has nothing to do with big budgets. Just make a game that feels like a full experience.

Of course it's about budgets though. It's always about budgets, and just as importantly development time.

Gunfire Games is not Insomniac and their budgetary requirements are going to be different. I mean it's obviously great that Chronos is so long but it's basically the only one at this point that isn't also a regular non-VR game.

Anyway, sorry you didn't like the game. I'm not quite finished with it yet but it's worth the money for me from what I've played so far.

Chronos was also funded by Oculus/Facebook. Probably wouldn't have been made otherwise.

(Which is why I don't really have a problem with Oculus exclusives)

btkadams

My oculus has shipped, but I know next to nothing about the library so far. Is there a website keeping a list of the must-see oculus games that I should check out?

XiaNaphryz

You're pretty much going to have to stick to stuff like flight/space sims and driving sims early on for something that could last dozens/hundreds of hours.

Wallach

So what does GAF think are the best Rift games to get right now?

For my part I'd say The Climb, Edge of Nowhere, Project CARS, Elite Dangerous, and Pinball FX 2 are what have captured the largest shares of my time. I've also put some time into Farlands (which you'll get for free) which is a nice game to just jump into for a bit every now and then. Not far enough into Chronos to make a great assessment but I was kind of lukewarm on my first session with it.

Some other good stuff I'd consider would be Technolust, Blaze Rush, Please Don't Touch Anything, and Windlands. Not at the top of my list but still games I really like; Technolust and Windlands are actually games I really personally like but are also more likely to induce simsickness, especially for someone completely new to VR.

Also for non-game stuff Virtual Desktop is a must-have, and AltSpace VR (and soon BigScreen) are really cool and worth downloading.

Edit - Also make sure to check out the Concepts and Early Access sections, as they tend to get silently updated and contain some neat stuff (like the UE4 Showdown demo scene).

Of course it's about budgets though. It's always about budgets, and just as importantly development time.

Gunfire Games is not Insomniac and their budgetary requirements are going to be different. I mean it's obviously great that Chronos is so long but it's basically the only one at this point that isn't also a regular non-VR game.

Anyway, sorry you didn't like the game. I'm not quite finished with it yet but it's worth the money for me from what I've played so far.

You are acting like devs with small budgets can't make great games. There are plenty of examples of small indie games that are fantastic.

I am not going to create a different set of standards for VR games, I will judge them the exact same way I do all games. This was a very basic stealth horror game that has 3 hours of content. It has great moments but those are fleeting.

cycogod

oculus rift cv 1 is a nice machine. oculus 1.4 update and the rigid locking out of everything that made it cool is bullshit. All the demo's and game support has been lock off. we need some jailbreaks people..

Kevin

I actually imagined how cool a Star Trek Bridge Commander game could be on Rift and now it looks like we might be actually sort of getting one. This has huge potential. I hope it's actually good.

you still have to wait a couple months to buy & get a rift right?

get a nowinstock.net alert for rifts on best buy.com. they've been getting a lot in recently. i ordered one late Wednesday night when they popped up and it got here this morning.

speaking of, what's the over-under on the touch release date getting announced at E3? I love the rift so far but the lack of motion controls and full room tracking is a real bummer.

Wallach

oculus rift cv 1 is a nice machine. oculus 1.4 update and the rigid locking out of everything that made it cool is bullshit. All the demo's and game support has been lock off. we need some jailbreaks people..

None of that stuff is locked off, the people that made them just never updated their demos and shit to the latest SDK. They're outdated is all. A lot of them recently have been getting updates, others are abandoned and will probably never get updated.

Yaska

Got the your order is processing email today, Europe with order number 36 or so. Now I am wondering on which address i should have it delivered. Anyone in Europe here have experience on how fast they deliver the thing?

Going to watch all the E3 press conferences in AltSpace VR this year.
If you go to user created events and hit "see all", scroll down for a bit you'll eventually get to the different press conference events.

Which Oculus Rift games are worth picking up from the Oculus Home store?

This question is answered at least once per page in this thread, it seems. There are many good answers already posted, and it would be a shame for some of the longer answers to be lost to time. Just look at the past few pages of the thread, and you'll see plenty of good suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom