• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift Launch Thread: Ballpark 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
How easy is it to force VR on games that don't support it?

I'm thinking specifically of Overwatch...

You will need vorpx, not sure how the overwatch support is. Its not the easiest method, takes tweaking of settings and in the end its just wrapping the screen over your face while your head movement becomes the mouse look. You wont be able to see the edges of the screen, there is a separate button to zoom out.

Or you can just play it as a virtual cinema where it feels you are playing on a giant screen in front of you.

get a nowinstock.net alert for rifts on best buy.com. they've been getting a lot in recently. i ordered one late Wednesday night when they popped up and it got here this morning.

speaking of, what's the over-under on the touch release date getting announced at E3? I love the rift so far but the lack of motion controls and full room tracking is a real bummer.

woah nice, thanks for the tip

For my part I'd say The Climb, Edge of Nowhere, Project CARS, Elite Dangerous, and Pinball FX 2 are what have captured the largest shares of my time. I've also put some time into Farlands (which you'll get for free) which is a nice game to just jump into for a bit every now and then. Not far enough into Chronos to make a great assessment but I was kind of lukewarm on my first session with it.

Some other good stuff I'd consider would be Technolust, Blaze Rush, Please Don't Touch Anything, and Windlands. Not at the top of my list but still games I really like; Technolust and Windlands are actually games I really personally like but are also more likely to induce simsickness, especially for someone completely new to VR.

Also for non-game stuff Virtual Desktop is a must-have, and AltSpace VR (and soon BigScreen) are really cool and worth downloading.

Edit - Also make sure to check out the Concepts and Early Access sections, as they tend to get silently updated and contain some neat stuff (like the UE4 Showdown demo scene).

Ok cool! I will check out those, thanks! Bummer about Chronos though, hopefully it picks up for you. Im definitely interested in that game, but it sounds like its kinda short.

Wallach

Ok cool! I will check out those, thanks! Bummer about Chronos though, hopefully it picks up for you. Im definitely interested in that game, but it sounds like its kinda short.

From what I understand Chronos is much longer than a lot of other games, like Edge of Nowhere. But for me game length is not particularly important. Usually all it does is make it more likely I uninstall it without ever completing it. If anything I am more wary of games that are too long, as often times a game will run out of interesting setpieces and ideas well before you reach the finale, and I'd rather they spared me the time.

From what I understand Chronos is much longer than a lot of other games, like Edge of Nowhere. But for me game length is not particularly important. Usually all it does is make it more likely I uninstall it without ever completing it. If anything I am more wary of games that are too long, as often times a game will run out of interesting setpieces and ideas well before you reach the finale, and I'd rather they spared me the time.

Its less about length of the game, and more about the length of the game compared to similar games in the same genre. I definitely appreciate a good succinct game though!

JayBabay

Just had a chance to try the Rift after my friends preorder finally arrived. I gotta say, VR is the real deal. I am definitely a believer now. It isn't the singular experience I thought it would be, every game introduced a new way to experience the technology from platforming to virtual cockpit. The way it feels like your getting sucked into the game when playing Luckys Tale was remarkable.

SomTervo

What a coincidence - a website called CramGaming just dubbed The Solus Project 'A VR must-have game'!

Anyway, I'm out of here for the night, hope I haven't been too self-promotioney!

Enjoy!

Sucks I ended up at the bottom of the page

This is cool, please keep us updated. I am not a fan of unfinished games, I will wait for the full release.

No problem, will do.

1. FYI, the game is finished and launched on Tuesday. The game is a non-VR game.

2. The VR mode is a work-in-progress update which we're iterating on really quickly. Aiming to have a big update out within a couple of working days (I'll post again once this is up).

3. It actually works pretty well with Oculus already! The seated experience is fine. It's actually the roomscale/hand controls on VIVE which has problems (and has been buggering our reputation). We didn't really get a chance to develop those as much as we liked.

A lightly more serious, slower version of Spaceteam in VR is how I'm imagining it. Sounds good.

So what sort of presence will Oculus have at E3? Do they have a keynote?

Chronos isn't like that - it definitely feels like a lengthy game that doesn't overstay its welcome, about 15 hours. The game keeps introducing new gameplay events, environments, and challenges right up to the end. It's my favorite Rift game. Note, I'm playing on the "Heroic" difficulty, which is what the game calls the "pure" Chronos experience, which makes it feel a lot like Dark Souls, though not as extreme.

Maz

I got my rift 3 days ago (I also have a vive), the sde and sweet spot are much better on the rift but the square fov is distracting and feels unnatural. Setup was a breeze, I prefer the layout of steam vr over oculus home.

Chronos is the first vr game that didnt feel like a tech demo. I like it so far, but it doesnt feel special and I would rather play it on a screen. Luckys tale is ok, played 2hrs or so and will probably never go back to it. The bomb game was so much fun, best "multiplayer" vr game

I think oculus fucked up releasing the rift without motion controllers they feel natural in vr. I would rather play audioshield than any other vr game I've tried so far. On a side note any horror games/experiences/videos that I can check out, and whats the best way to watch vr videos?

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
A lightly more serious, slower version of Spaceteam in VR is how I'm imagining it. Sounds good.

So what sort of presence will Oculus have at E3? Do they have a keynote?

No keynote this year but they have a large presence on the floor.

E32016WestHall.jpg

SomTervo

Hi everyone, dev working on The Solus Project here

We have now pushed a very large update with largely reworked controls (the biggest update was a completely new Vive control scheme but improvements to Oculus are in there too).

Patch notes here. It should be much easier to read the PDA and navigate the world now. General aspect ratio/POV stuff has been fixed for Oculus.

Our standing on Steam reviews is increasing at last...!

Feel free to pop over to the game's OT and give feedback if you have any ideas/suggestions/problems.

Anyone here used BigScreen beta before?

On reddit a lot of users say its far superior to Virtual Desktop. Just wondering whether I should buy Virtual Desktop when the Steam Summer Sale hits or if BigScreen would be enough.

rickyson1

Anyone here used BigScreen beta before?

On reddit a lot of users say its far superior to Virtual Desktop. Just wondering whether I should buy Virtual Desktop when the Steam Summer Sale hits or if BigScreen would be enough.

haven't actually used either one since I don't have a headset yet but aren't they pretty different things?

from what I understand Virtual Desktop is about doing things by yourself on a giant virtual screen while bigscreen is more about being next to other people and seeing what's on their screen aswell

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
haven't actually used either one since I don't have a headset yet but aren't they pretty different things?

from what I understand Virtual Desktop is about doing things by yourself on a giant virtual screen while bigscreen is more about being next to other people and seeing what's on their screen aswell

You don't have to share your screen with BigScreen and can use it solo.

I haven't tried Virtual Desktop yet so I can't compare.

rickyson1

how does the touch still not even have a release date yet anyways?

kinda almost making me regret not getting a vive instead I don't have the room to move around all that much which is one of the reasons I didn't but I really want to play audioshield

ah well i'm sure i'll stop being upset about this for a while when I actually get my rift tomorrow

edit:anyone have any VR podcast suggestions?

how does the touch still not even have a release date yet anyways?
Because it's probably not coming out until October or November - it's too early to announce a release date/price, beyond the one they already gave "second half of 2016". You don't want them releasing it too early - remember, Oculus Home will need to support Touch, but Home was already obviously rushed out before it was ready, and it still has some glaring flaws. And you definitely don't want them rushing the hardware - not only does it need to be perfect, but it would be nice if they had a large stock of them available at launch.

Any chance the forward motion control could be set to the controller direction's forward rather than the headset (or at least have it as an option)? Been able to look around freely as you move is one of the great advantages of VR over normal gaming, and adds significantly to immersion.

I think there is an option to decouple head from movement.

XiaNaphryz

Hmmm...no mention of Project Arena yet?

Launch titles include Oculus Studios games like Insomniac’s Unspoken, Dead & Buried, Rock Band VR from Harmonix, VR Sports Challenge by Sanzaru, Crytek’s The Climb (now Touch enabled), as well as independent games like Serious Sam VR: The Last Hope by Croteam, Pro Fishing Challenge VR by Opus, I Expect You to Die by Schell Games, Luna by Funomena, Giant Cop by Other Ocean, Job Simulator by Owlchemy Labs, and Fantastic Contraption by Northway Games. Oculus Medium will also ship with Touch, which brings the tactile satisfaction of sculpting into the world of VR.

Fans of Crytek’s The Climb will also discover what it’s like to cling to a cliff face with Touch, a free update for game owners available at Touch launch, which augments the highly lauded gamepad control scheme already available in the Oculus Store.

Edge of Nowhere was fun. Short and basic, though, and if it weren't a VR game, I imagine it would be heavily criticized for its price. But I enjoyed it.

Donnie

Mines now "processing for shipping" and I've received my PayPal notification of payment. Ordered mine later on launch day, been a long wait but at least it looks like it'll definitely ship before the 20th-30th estimate,

rickyson1

got my rift a few hours ago

impressions so far:

took a while to set up mostly because of the remote(getting that damn thing open took me like an hour wow)

haven't done all that much yet,did dreamdeck and showdown so far

dreamdeck had it's moments I guess but it was pretty hit and miss

showdown was really cool though I kept noticing myself trying to move out of the way of the stuff flying at me

took me a minute to realize that in the home menu in vr you select things by looking at them,I kept trying to press the button on the remote and wondering why it was moving so slow haha

rickyson1

I feel nauseous after playing lucky's tale for an hour

only a bit and it kinda built up over time

bad sign or nothing to be concerned about?

Waikis

I've never heard of anyone getting nausea from that.

Really? Seems to be a common problem with luckeys tale because of the camera moving by itself.

It happened to me as well at the start, but i got used to it after an hour or two.

XiaNaphryz

I've never heard of anyone getting nausea from that.

I have. Everyone has a different tolerance to this.

Just slowly build up your tolerance if you're feeling uneasy. Take a little ginger immediately before your next session may also help (ginger pills, ginger snaps, strong ginger ale, etc).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom