• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift Launch Thread: Ballpark 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Rift just processed. Honestly, I was about to cancel it but I guess it's too late. It's more based on the principal how Oculus have treated their customers than anything. Maybe I'll just sell it. Have they fixed it to work with glasses yet?
It works just fine with many pairs of glasses, have you tried a Rift with yours yet? Based on reviews, if your frames are too large the Rift will pinch a bit on your temples, and Vive will pinch a bit on your nose (my glasses have thin frames, they seem fine).

How has Oculus mistreated you? I wasn't mistreated in any way.

Hello folks! I just made a post over on the Steam Community thread about the launch of our game, The Solus Project (which I've been helping with for about 9 months). It has has finally launched!

I'm letting you guys know because VR was built into the game in the last couple of months and we have started getting really positive feedback from some Vive players. Apparently it's also working well with Oculus. If you guys fancy trying it, buy away... Or look below ;)

Fair warning: The game is not 100% finished or 100% optimised for VR yet. It is still in-progress. However we feel it's safe to share it on a VR basis due to some of the feedback.

Grats on launching the game man, thats awesome!! Steam is also giving me a 20% discount apparently because I already own The Ball, so its $15.99 for just Solus for me. Bought it, may not play for a few weeks (Overwatch and Odin Sphere!) but will definitely check it out.

My SteamVR tab is now 13 games strong haha

holy crap Solus is a 10 gig download, thats a lot of graphics!!

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
My experience with Solus was me teleporting in between some rocks I couldn't get out of, fell through the world and died.

This was a while ago though.

Giant Bomb did an Unifinished of the game a few weeks ago as well, worth looking at for prospective buyers IMO.

SomTervo

Grats on launching the game man, thats awesome!! Steam is also giving me a 20% discount apparently because I already own The Ball, so its $15.99 for just Solus for me. Bought it, may not play for a few weeks (Overwatch and Odin Sphere!) but will definitely check it out.

My SteamVR tab is now 13 games strong haha

holy crap Solus is a 10 gig download, thats a lot of graphics!!

Awesome - enjoy!

Yeah pretty big levels with loads and loads of assets...

Warning for The Solus Project buyers: we're getting inconsistent feedback on VR. Lots of people seem very happy with it, some are reporting teething issues, and some are displeased with it. Remember that VR implementation is not finished yet. It probably won't be 100% ready for at least a month or two. The full non-VR mode is ready to rock, though.

My experience with Solus was me teleporting in between some rocks I couldn't get out of, fell through the world and died.

This was a while ago though.

Giant Bomb did an Unifinished of the game a few weeks ago as well, worth looking at for prospective buyers IMO.

Was that in VR? IIRC the VR build is a bit behind the regular-mode build which is very much complete. Also the game has been heavily iterated, like a new version every two weeks with loads of crunch, for about 3 months :) the teleporter was a real pain in the ass for the team I think, haha.

Yeah it's cool Giant Bomb seemed to like the game.

Give it another try and report back!

Order musings:

At the start of May we were talking in minutes and seconds but now it's starting to finally look like day two and day three orders are going out.

I have a feeling they will be shipping in 24-72 hours by the end of the month.

Regarding Solus Project...

This is definetly not a Vive game. The motion controller and room scale implementation is half hearted to the point of detriment.

The game is definetly better off eschewing motion controls in its current state, without setting up expectation that it's a workable build for room scale.

Decoupling head from direction results in the worst possible outcome - instead of attaching motion of direction to the controllers or some sort of average of those things, it locks it to the front. This is useful to nobody.

Also the touch to move is a sin. Look. My thumb needs to rest on the touch pad. Set movement to activate on clicking.

The immediate result of all that is confusion and breaking a whole slew of basic expectations of motion and interaction in the game as far as room scale and motion controllers go.

I didn't bother staying around past the first few minutes - the control scheme is a huge turn off.

As a Rift game, which I suppose is what it's primarily intended to be... I don't know. Didn't try it. I just want to mention that ironically the competition in the Rift space for quality games with decent production budgets is actually fairly steep. Vive is totally missing that sort of experience - but at the same time, it kinda makes sense - a game can't be ported to VR well, it has to be essentially redesigned from the ground up. Sure, it can use the same assets and similar levels, etc - but the basic controls and interactions have to be built for VR and not ported across.

I expect things will get better. It is an alpha for VR as SomTervo says. But I'm going to have to get a refund in its current state.I'll check back in a couple months.
So in other words, you are totally ignoring the post right before yours, and the message on the Steam page about VR being "a work-in-progress", and played the game for all of "a few minutes", yet are totally writing it off and asking for a refund. Without apparently even trying the game in 2D. And oddly posting about your Vive experiences in the Oculus Rift thread.

Donnie

My order is estimated as between 20th and 30th of June. In peoples experience what kind of warning will I get before my card is charged? Will they tell me its processing then tell me its dispatched than charge my card?

I'm just trying to get a good indication of when the money will be taken as I sometimes have problems with my banks fraud protection when making large purchases. On more than one occasion they've refused purchases before phoning me to confirm I really want the item.. Very annoying and I just want to make sure it doesn't happen this time.

My payment method is PayPal BTW if that makes any difference.

My order is estimated as between 20th and 30th of June. In peoples experience what kind of warning will I get before my card is charged? Will they tell me its processing then tell me its dispatched than charge my card?

I'm just trying to get a good indication of when the money will be taken as I sometimes have problems with my banks fraud protection when making large purchases. On more than one occasion they've refused purchases before phoning me to confirm I really want the item.. Very annoying and I just want to make sure it doesn't happen this time.

My payment method is PayPal BTW if that makes any difference.

You get no warning. You will be charged and receive a processing email simultaneously. You will then receive a shipping notice later in the day or the next day and another email from Oculus with a code for Eve: Valkyrie.

If your order estimate is June 20th to June 30th you may get shipping within the next week or so judging by Reddit. Oculus is ahead of their new schedule.

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/4cpj6g/all_regions_shipping_megathread/

Someone in NYC had an estimate of June 27th to July 7th and got their processing email already. Your region will make a difference as well.

Might be a good idea to contact your bank now. Make sure you talk to the actual fraud department.

Zaptruder

Banned
So in other words, you are totally ignoring the post right before yours, and the message on the Steam page about VR being "a work-in-progress", and played the game for all of "a few minutes", yet are totally writing it off and asking for a refund. Without apparently even trying the game in 2D. And oddly posting about your Vive experiences in the Oculus Rift thread.

Yeah, should've posted it in the Vive thread, but didn't actually see the Solus Project discussion there, until I posted it here. For some reason, I thought the game was mainly been discussed here. There's a fair amount of crossover between the Rift and Vive users anyway (I think?)...

TBH, The Solus Project isn't the kind of game that interests me outside of the context of VR. If it'd done the locomotion part well, then sure, I'd give it a good shot and actually play it through... but it wasn't, at least in my experience.

Anyway, I'll edit the post out and repost in the Vive thread.

As far as it been a work in progress on the VR side... well yeah. But that doesn't mean much given that most VR games are currently in early release with frequent updates to add content and features. The specifics of implementation is never more clearly communicated than actually trying it first hand anyway... so what's to lose when I can refund it if it's not to taste? Still - I'm not down on the game... I didn't really experience it after all. If the roomscale VR stuff improves significantly, I'd be more than happy to buy it again.

SomTervo

The team have now made a guide for playing The Solus Project with VR.

Specifically the guide is for Vive but I think a lot of the advice applies to VR as a whole (IMO the most important recommendation is playing 10-20 minutes in normal mode before trying VR).

A lot of tips/info there.

Yeah, should've posted it in the Vive thread, but didn't actually see the Solus Project discussion there, until I posted it here. For some reason, I thought the game was mainly been discussed here. There's a fair amount of crossover between the Rift and Vive users anyway (I think?)...

TBH, The Solus Project isn't the kind of game that interests me outside of the context of VR. If it'd done the locomotion part well, then sure, I'd give it a good shot and actually play it through... but it wasn't, at least in my experience.

Anyway, I'll edit the post out and repost in the Vive thread.

As far as it been a work in progress on the VR side... well yeah. But that doesn't mean much given that most VR games are currently in early release with frequent updates to add content and features. The specifics of implementation is never more clearly communicated than actually trying it first hand anyway... so what's to lose when I can refund it if it's not to taste? Still - I'm not down on the game... I didn't really experience it after all. If the roomscale VR stuff improves significantly, I'd be more than happy to buy it again.

Hope you come back in due course, Zap, and hope you find any improvements to your liking. When it works for people it seems to REALLY work.

120v

hrmm... estimated delivery was in mid july but my order just got processed.

not complaining at all but either they're starting to charge extra early or a lot of orders got canceled. hopefully i'll get the shipping info pretty soon

hrmm... estimated delivery was in mid july but my order just got processed.

not complaining at all but either they're starting to charge extra early or a lot of orders got canceled. hopefully i'll get the shipping info pretty soon

I took another look and they diverted a lot of units from the Europe allocation. Europe is still only about an hour after preorders went up while NA is now on day 2 and even day 3 preorders. It was quite the opposite when shipping started with Europe ahead of NA.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Was that in VR? IIRC the VR build is a bit behind the regular-mode build which is very much complete. Also the game has been heavily iterated, like a new version every two weeks with loads of crunch, for about 3 months :) the teleporter was a real pain in the ass for the team I think, haha.

Yeah it was in VR but as I said it was a while ago, I'll give the game another go eventually :).

I took another look and they diverted a lot of units from the Europe allocation. Europe is still only about an hour after preorders went up while NA is now on day 2 and even day 3 preorders. It was quite the opposite when shipping started with Europe ahead of NA.

My US order placed within the first hour has continued to be ignored in favor of later orders to the point that I've cancelled my preorder.

They gave me 4 different estimated shipping dates, each time pushing it back and when it was the last day of the end of their shipping estimate for the fourth time I just gave up on it.

I'm not at all saying it's any reflection on the hardware, but the company has been making terrible decisions at every possible opportunity and everyone has a point where they say it's just not worth it.

I do still plan on picking up a Rift as soon as possible, but it will be from someone that's selling theirs as I don't want to give Oculus any more of my money beyond what I'll be spending on their storefront.

I do still plan on picking up a Rift as soon as possible, but it will be from someone that's selling theirs as I don't want to give Oculus any more of my money beyond what I'll be spending on their storefront.

Not that I agree with you, but that's kind of an empty way to protest against them. They don't earn any money on sales of the headset itself. What they earn money on is you buying stuff from their storefront. In other words, you're not going to be any less profitable for them by buying from someone else.

DirtyLarry

Shit did not see this thread and already posted in the "official VR thread."

Anyway it is happening for me!! Got two emails, one from Oculus and one from my credit card that Oculus charged $599.

Just in time for me to leave on a 9 day vacation on Friday morning. Oh well, my parents will be at my house so not worried about it being shipped and I have something to look forward to when I get home from vacation!! I even have a day to check it out.

My US order placed within the first hour has continued to be ignored in favor of later orders to the point that I've cancelled my preorder.

They gave me 4 different estimated shipping dates, each time pushing it back and when it was the last day of the end of their shipping estimate for the fourth time I just gave up on it.

I'm not at all saying it's any reflection on the hardware, but the company has been making terrible decisions at every possible opportunity and everyone has a point where they say it's just not worth it.

That really sucks. Did you ever get in touch with TheTwistGibber on reddit to find out what was up? I had a failed payment and they told me mine would go out on the next batch. It didn't. TheTwistGibber told me it was still locked even though that lock was to be lifted. Really annoying. They definitely have some bugs in their shipping system.

Not that I agree with you, but that's kind of an empty way to protest against them. They don't earn any money on sales of the headset itself. What they earn money on is you buying stuff from their storefront. In other words, you're not going to be any less profitable for them by buying from someone else.

You're right, from a consumer stand point I'm really not making any difference or truly voting with my wallet, but the alternative is to skip out on the hardware and experiences out of principle and I'm super passionate about VR as a medium so I don't want to miss out on these exciting early days.

A big part of buying a second hand unit is that I know I can get one that's confirmed to be in working order and receive it ASAP.

That really sucks. Did you ever get in touch with TheTwistGibber on reddit to find out what was up? I had a failed payment and they told me mine would go out on the next batch. It didn't. TheTwistGibber told me it was still locked even though that lock was to be lifted. Really annoying. They definitely have some bugs in their shipping system.

I went through the usual means of contacting them via support tickets thinking that would be best, but I probably should have given that a try. Either way, I hope things move quickly for everyone else so they can get theirs ASAP and start enjoying VR :)

BizzyBum

Just received my Rift today. Much sooner than expected, thought I was going to get it at the end of June. Kind of a waste for now since I just ordered my new gaming PC last night so looks like a couple weeks of waiting before I can use it. =(

probably late, but a charmingly silly thing I noticed yesterday in Lucky's Tale is when you lean forward too far close to him (since your head is the camera), he gets knocked down and then laughs about it.

It kind of brought me back to the "Sonic looking at his watch when he's impatient" moment, except in VR, haha.

DirtyLarry

Damn. Just got the shipping email, it is already in Kentucky. Will be here Monday according to the tracking. It was estimated to ship in August, so this is a pleasant surprise indeed.
Unbelievable it is the week I will be on vacation, but that is what it is. As I said above, I have something to look forward to coming home.
So psyched. I was super close to cancelling my preorder as well, but I did keep it.
Cannot wait.

Zaptruder

Banned
The team have now made a guide for playing TSP with VR.

Specifically the guide is for Vive but I think a lot of the advice applies to VR as a whole (IMO the most important recommendation is playing 10-20 minutes in normal mode before trying VR).

A lot of tips/info there.

Hope you come back in due course, Zap, and hope you find any improvements to your liking. When it works for people it seems to REALLY work.

Cheers. Good luck with the game! Looks like it has awesome potential.

gdt

Edge of Nowhere is awesome. Man I love the vibe and designs going on.

Got Technolust and Ethan Carter (if I can stomach it) to play. I'm definitely picking up Chronos as well. Solus Project too, it seems.

So....what's the next major Rift game? Any horror on the horizon?

120v

hate to plus one with "hooray it shipped", but hooray it shipped. feels unreal man. vr was always a childhood dream of mine

Any way to set up screen mirroring for group view on my TV?

EDIT: I just spent an hour playing Proton Pulse Plus, this is the longest I have ever spent in VR. So fucking awesome. I managed to live into the future. Like the actual future that I have fucking read and seen in science fiction. This is insane and it's all hitting me at once.
That game in particular is what I'm going to make my friends play first since there is basically no barrier to entry, all you need is a head you can move.

Kevin

Just now got one of those "Your Oculus Rift Order is Shipping Soon!" emails. Does anyone know how long it is after you get this email that your order actually ships? It was originally listed as mid to late July but I'm hoping to get it this month.

igotpaid

Got my Rift today. Can't use it because of my glasses. I should have paid attention better and cancelled my preorder. Without my glasses, I can't read the text. On my Vive, I can use my glasses easily, and if I take them off, I can still make out text.

I'm shocked they thought this was okay. I'll look into buying a cheap, tiny pair of glasses to use with the Rift before I sell it to a friend.

Fuck.

Got my Rift today. Can't use it because of my glasses. I should have paid attention better and cancelled my preorder. Without my glasses, I can't read the text. On my Vive, I can use my glasses easily, and if I take them off, I can still make out text.

I'm shocked they thought this was okay. I'll look into buying a cheap, tiny pair of glasses to use with the Rift before I sell it to a friend.

Fuck.

not sure how big your glasses are, but in case it helps, remember that you can adjust the top strap, both side straps, and also tilt the headset forward and back. Some combination of those lets me use it with my glasses relatively easily.

I remember being pretty uncomfortable until I realized I could tilt it forward/back also, which wasn't obvious to me for like the first few days I used it. It's still much better without glasses, but it's still pretty playable for me

Just now got one of those "Your Oculus Rift Order is Shipping Soon!" emails. Does anyone know how long it is after you get this email that your order actually ships? It was originally listed as mid to late July but I'm hoping to get it this month.

From what I've been seeing on Reddit, it sounds like you can expect yours to arrive before the end of June. I'm in the same boat, which means I need to decide if I'll finally get off the pot and cancel this thing or keep it and hope enough content trickles in before the CV1 is obsolete.

I had no idea what to expect from Lucky's Tale being a 3rd person platformer in VR.
Just played through the first 3 levels and it works so damn well!
It actually solves the problem I have with many 3D platformers, reading depth. Often times you have to rely on a shadow or some other source in order to accurately maneuver a character. But in VR, real 3D, it becomes so damn intuitive. Lucky is basically positioned as if he was a real toy on a giant playset in my living room. It's insane!
Nintendo really needs to make some VR experience... I'm convinced of it now.

rickyson1

so I just got an email that says mine is shipping soon but on my order page it says 7/4/2016 - 7/14/2016

do they really send emails that far out in advance or is it gonna ship sooner than that?

so I just got an email that says mine is shipping soon but on my order page it says 7/4/2016 - 7/14/2016

do they really send emails that far out in advance or is it gonna ship sooner than that?

They are way ahead of schedule in NA. Did it say your order was processing? Has your method of payment been charged?

rickyson1

They are way ahead of schedule in NA. Did it say your order was processing? Has your method of payment been charged?

says it "will be processing for shipment soon"

just curious since I checked the order page afterwards and it still said July,seems like a long time ahead of time to send emails out

edit: looks like there's a charge pending for it so guess it is shipping soon,weird that it still says July

says it "will be processing for shipment soon"

just curious since I checked the order page afterwards and it still said July,seems like a long time ahead of time to send emails out

edit: looks like there's a charge pending for it so guess it is shipping soon,weird that it still says July

Yeah. That date on your order page will not change. I think they are pushing hard in NA now that Vive has gone to shipping in 72 hours.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?

Most people have gotten in shipped within the next day once they get that email. For me it was later the same day.

Looks like they're finally catching up.

I think I mentioned yesterday that order shipments had moved into the next couple of days after the start of preorders. It's now shifted into the next month. I see people with mid February orders getting shipping notices. That's just for NA. I think other regions of the world are still well behind.

Awesome - enjoy!

Yeah pretty big levels with loads and loads of assets...

Warning for The Solus Project buyers: we're getting inconsistent feedback on VR. Lots of people seem very happy with it, some are reporting teething issues, and some are displeased with it. Remember that VR implementation is not finished yet. It probably won't be 100% ready for at least a month or two. The full non-VR mode is ready to rock, though.

That's wicked, was gonna snag this game for Xbox one as I had no idea it was VR.

Oculus just processed!

SomTervo

That's wicked, was gonna snag this game for Xbox one as I had no idea it was VR.

Oculus just processed!

Great to hear – hope it works well for you! Vive roomscale controls seem to be where most of the teething issues/flaws lie, so as a seated Oculus experience, hopefully you'll have a great time!

I think it's still wise to play the first 10-15 minutes in regular-monitor mode, just until you learn the base mechanics, get past the tutorial spot, and get your bearings.

Please review!

Stanng243

So my order was supposed to ship in July, except I got an email at 1am that my rift was shipping soon. The email said reply to this email to cancel your order. So i did at 8:16 this morning. Which was apparently too late, and the item was already charged and shipping. This pisses me off. I had some medical issues, and hadn't thought to cancel it yet because of it wasn't due to ship soon.

Venfayth

Yeah the worst part about having glasses is they get smudged when putting the rift on and taking it off, but it's not been uncomfortable for me at all. Especially now that I'm used to how to adjust it to get to the sweet spot quickly.

SighFight

Got the email on Tuesday, shipping notification yesterday and delivery today!

Awesome, now I just have to get back from vacation :D I guess this is what you call first world problem. By now I am already waiting for Touch. It better comes sooner than later.

I bet touch will make a big appearance at E3 next week.
Doesn't oculus have a partnership with microsoft? Hopefully some rift-related announcements will make it to their press conference.

Got the email on Tuesday, shipping notification yesterday and delivery today!

Awesome, now I just have to get back from vacation :D I guess this is what you call first world problem. By now I am already waiting for Touch. It better comes sooner than later.

I am hoping they mention something next week. H2 is a few weeks away and it could be anytime between July 1st and December 31st, I guess. Better sooner than later. Curious if the people who have kits feel that it will be soon but they can't say anything.

I bet touch will make a big appearance at E3 next week.
Doesn't oculus have a partnership with microsoft? Hopefully some rift-related announcements will make it to their press conference.

Oculus has a decent sized presence on the floor and I bet they will be demoing Touch. I think they have been showing Touch for a while.

Zalusithix

Yeah the worst part about having glasses is they get smudged when putting the rift on and taking it off, but it's not been uncomfortable for me at all. Especially now that I'm used to how to adjust it to get to the sweet spot quickly.

Can't speak for the Rift, but the smudging part is true for the Vive as well unless you're very careful. If the foam brushes against the lenses at all, you're smudged. Thankfully it's far more likely to happen on removal than putting it on, so you can just use a microfiber cloth to clean them immediately. Either way, I'll take that inconvenience over fussing with contacts any day.

RankFTW

Unconfirmed Member
Hi Mark,

Your order has been processed and your Rift is almost on its way! Look for a shipping confirmation email with tracking information soon.

omgomgomg :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom