• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift Launch Thread: Ballpark 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

anothertech

Oculus Rift OT.

Been waiting since first coverage before 2012.

Great job on the OT!

My first games will be Valkyrie and Ethan Carter.

Real Life is over

nakedeyes

Banned
Pre-order or KS Backer?
Country?
What range was your order number?

I'm a 25 and still haven't had anything beyond the 1-3 week email.

I am a US kickstarter backer and I am a 69 ( but it seems pretty clear that KS backers have a slightly different ordering scheme here ). I still don't have a tracking number yet, but my Oculus order page switched from "Pre-Order" status to "Shipped".. hope I get it near the end of the week ( or sooner! ) like some of these people with similar sounding situations.

For anyone in the UK who ordered one what was the final price? I'm REALLY getting tempted to order one and it said 499 shipping not included, so tax is already included in the UK?

Also do they only take the money closer to the delivery date? That would at least give me the room to get some cash scraped together for it. My wallet is going to hate me but the temptation is too strong.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
CeqekOfW8AAImjI.jpg:large

Fuck you Oculus and your launch day marketing newsletter.

This is not what you want to read when you glance at your inbox when you are waiting on your shipping notice.

For anyone in the UK who ordered one what was the final price? I'm REALLY getting tempted to order one and it said 499 shipping not included, so tax is already included in the UK?

Also do they only take the money closer to the delivery date? That would at least give me the room to get some cash scraped together for it. My wallet is going to hate me but the temptation is too strong.

£529 total. And yeah they don't charge until it ships.

Woop! Just barely got an order update from Ocuclus!

"
Hi TIMOTHY,

Your order has been processed and your Rift is almost on its way! Look for a shipping confirmation email with tracking information soon.

Please keep this email handy for reference. If you have any questions or concerns about your order, please contact Oculus Support.

The Oculus Team
"

Yay we both got ours! If you don't already have it you can sign up for ups my choice for free, I already got a shipping alert for mine from them, supposed to arrive on Friday for me. Curious to see when yours is scheduled, though I know proximity to the distro center is a factor.

harSon

Banned
How is the official release of Ethan Carter in VR? I tried it 'unofficially' on my DK2, and it absolutely destroyed my head and stomach. I hoped that a more optimized final release would help to alleviate a lot of the sickness I was feeling.

Gurish

It's a little bit quiet in here isn't it?

I expected like 200 pages by now, it's supposed to be the future, a monumental event in entertainment, where is the hype?

UnrealEck

How is the official release of Ethan Carter in VR? I tried it 'unofficially' on my DK2, and it absolutely destroyed my head and stomach.

Giant Bomb said it doesn't look very nice on a GTX 970 because it was being downscaled to 80%.
If you have a higher end card it might look better.

How is the official release of Ethan Carter in VR? I tried it 'unofficially' on my DK2, and it absolutely destroyed my head and stomach. I hoped that a more optimized final release would help to alleviate a lot of the sickness I was feeling.

I'll play this next :)

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!

I expected like 200 pages by now, it's supposed to be the future, a monumental event in entertainment, where is the hype?

99% of us don't have them yet, so...not sure what there is to talk about.

No one has their hardware at this point. A handful of Kickstarter backers have gotten one, and I'm not sure if preorders have even started shipping yet. As someone who ordered 11 minutes after preorders started, I'm not even sure if I'll see mine by the end of April. The way the manufacturing/shipping has been handled is kind of pathetic tbqh.

Gurish

99% of us don't have them yet, so...not sure what there is to talk about.

Well, compare it to a launch of a new console, most of GAF didn't have it either (at least at the start) but there was a complete chaos here, even a week before launch of the PS4/ XB1 there was mayhem around here, VR by comparison is very quiet.

Lucky's Tale.

Oh Lucky's Tale. How adorable you are. How well you control.

I'll be honest the way the camera moves caught me off guard initially and gave me the tiniest moment of discomfort, but once I knew what it was going to do this has been a complete charm to play. The music is great too. It's a joy to go through these environments.

My favorite bit so far was sticking my head right into the passage way in one of those underground sections.

I'm sure 90hz adds to how well the game controls. But either way, this works really nicely after you get used to the camera slowly reacting to what you do. I will play this a lot, as I will Zen Pinball 2.

Let's see how unbroken Ethan Carter is!

GTX980 x 3 here. Not sure if anything is leveraging all my GPUs though.

On a GTX 970?

Anyone know where to get Project Cars cheapest? Elite too if possible.

I'm glad to hear it. That's one of the few launch games I'm interested in, although I'm not excited to move around with an analog stick.

The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - is more effective. The non-VR version is a visual treat (especially so via its Unreal Engine 4 upgrade), but the move to Oculus Rift is a genuine game-changer. Just experiencing this game world in VR, in effect just being there is - and I don't use this word lightly - incredible. Out of the box, settings are well-tuned too, meaning that these stunning visuals lock at 90Hz on the base-spec hardware. The image isn't pristine, being somewhat blurry with intrusive sub-pixel break-up - but that's exactly because The Astonauts have tailored default settings so that those with the lowest acceptable specification in hardware do get that locked frame-rate.

On a 970, yes.

As things stand, we have the requisite Nvidia GeForce GTX 970, but CPU-wise, the reference units features a base-level Core i5 6400 - the bottom rung 2.7GHz quad-core processor in Intel's latest Skylake line-up. Curiously, this is actually less powerful than the Core i5 4590 previously announced as VR's entry-level CPU.

Karak

Still a little disappointed they nuked my account and deleted my order but will enjoy watching others play

BrettWeir

Giant Bomb said it doesn't look very nice on a GTX 970 because it was being downscaled to 80%.
If you have a higher end card it might look better.

How the hell does GB not have a top of the line rig? Kinda surprises me.

As for shipping, at this rate, I'll be surprised if pre-orders even start shipping this week at all.

nakedeyes

Banned
Yay we both got ours! If you don't already have it you can sign up for ups my choice for free, I already got a shipping alert for mine from them, supposed to arrive on Friday for me. Curious to see when yours is scheduled, though I know proximity to the distro center is a factor.

I have MyChoice, but I chose to ship this to my office ( so it wouldn't be stolen off my porch! lol ), and when I tried to set my MyChoice address to the office address it detected it was a commercial address and won't let me continue :(

I'll hope that I get mine around the same time as you. Im in Salt Lake City. Also very glad that it will hopefully get here in the next week or so because I am moving to Seattle in 4 weeks!

Well, compare it to a launch of a new console, most of GAF don't have it either but there is a complete chaos here, even a week before launch of the PS4/ XB1 there was a mayhem around here, VR by comparison is very quiet.

Most people are put off by the price (and the fact it's not going to be lower any time soon).

And...pc.

PSVR is much more sought after, since PS4.

Most people are put off by the price (and the fact it's not going to be lower any time soon).

And...pc.

Yeah, those pre-orders blew up way more than I (or Sony apparently) anticipated. I expect the OT for psvr to get a BIG draw.

I have MyChoice, but I chose to ship this to my office ( so it wouldn't be stolen off my porch! lol ), and when I tried to set my MyChoice address to the office address it detected it was a commercial address and won't let me continue :(

I'll hope that I get mine around the same time as you. Im in Salt Lake City. Also very glad that it will hopefully get here in the next week or so because I am moving to Seattle in 4 weeks!

Nice! I'm in the Seattle area myself. Need to get in on that monthly VR meetup group here, local devs and enthusiasts playing in progress projects (Vive too), the Altspace folks attend them too iirc. The most recent one even had RoadToVR there. Lots of activity in the VR space up here for sure.

Gurish

And...pc.

Yea I expect PSVR to be the biggest, wonder how much though, if it will feel like a new console or just a really hyped up add-on like with Rift.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Well, compare it to a launch of a new console, most of GAF didn't have it either (at least a tstart) but there was a complete chaos here, even a week before launch of the PS4/ XB1 there was mayhem around here, VR by comparison is very quiet.

Console GAF and PC GAF are different breeds of animal. I'll just leave it at that :)

nakedeyes

Banned
Nice! I'm in the Seattle area myself. Need to get in on that monthly VR meetup group here, local devs and enthusiasts playing in progress projects (Vive too), the Altspace folks attend them too iirc. The most recent one even had RoadToVR there. Lots of activity in the VR space up here for sure.

So cool! I am excited to get out there! I actually haven't even been there yet, but I got a great job offer and am just gonna go with it! Will definetly have to get involved with monthly meetups, sounds like a load of fun! The industry in Salt Lake is not huge lol.

UnrealEck

What's the actual total resolution games are being run at in Rift then? 2160x1200? Or is it different from running a game in that resolution because it's two separate renders?

Ugh, I feared this. Game devs trying to make some bucks with the new platform. Some devs will do a free update for their game (Project Cars, Elite Dangerous, etc), others will make a paid DLC.

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/4ca3yu/any_update_from_the_ethan_carter_team/d1gi6w9

-- Ethan bought from the Oculus Store/Home is $29.99 because it also includes the full "2D" game (so it's a bundle in a way, not just Ethan Oculus). It's also integrated with the Oculus ecosystem, so it'll appear in your library etc.
-- However, for those who already bought the game on Steam, we will soon release (also on Steam) a $9.99 VR DLC. Such a version will not appear in your Oculus library (but in Steam library), you will have to allow "External Sources" (or whatever that's called in 1.3), but it will work just fine.

It's more expensive in the Oculus store because it includes the "2d version"??? The 2d version isn't a different game, it's the same game, which has been patched to support the Rift!
And of course, the "patch" is a paid DLC.

Seems a long wait if UPS already picked it up? I'll cross my fingers it'll get pulled in. Can't see any reason it shouldn't be with you Wednesday

I looked at the tracking on their site and they're using UPS Ground, so I guess Oculus cheaped out on the shipping for backers with the exception of those that got theirs today for "launch".

edit: Also mine hasn't technically shipped yet, ups just sends out notices whenever a label is made for something to be delivered.

elyetis

Ugh, I feared this. Game devs trying to make some bucks with the new platform. Some devs will do a free update for their game (Project Cars, Elite Dangerous, etc), others will make a paid DLC.

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/4ca3yu/any_update_from_the_ethan_carter_team/d1gi6w9

It's more expensive in the Oculus store because it includes the "2d version"??? The 2d version isn't a different game, it's the same game, which has been patched to support the Rift!
I don't have the game, but the second I heard the original ( hidden ) VR support was patched out, I also expected it.
A 50% increase in price ( from 20$ to 30$ right ? ) to get the VR support in a Unreal Engine 4 game is... an interesting choice to say the least.

I don't have the game, but the second I heard the original VR support was patched out, I also expected it.
A 50% increase in price ( from 20$ to 30$ right ? ) to get the VR support in a Unreal Engine 4 game is... an interesting choice to say the least.

They have been open about exactly how they were selling the VR version of Ethan Carter for ages now. I think it's fair enough. If you want to see what VR support looks like when you don't put in any work ask anyone who played the original UE4 engine version. Like me.

It was horrendously broken in VR when they forgot to disable it. It wasn't VR support, just the default VR view built into UE4. It really didn't work. You could walk around the environments just fine, but the tears were broken. Anything you examined, was broken. After you examined something, you had a transparent rectangle stuck to your face. You couldn't solve the train car puzzle because it offset your view from your body by however much you moved the train. They clearly had to put in a lot of work to test and fix all the issues.

It was very broken.

The version I just played, was not. I'm glad they give you the resolution scaling option here. Yes, I notice drops on my 980 when I pushed it up to 130%, but the IQ you get from that (I also disabled AA to get a bit of performance back) is in my opinion worth it. The game is beautiful. I've not got past the train car puzzle yet, but the photogrammetry work looks amazing.

When the daylight first fades in after you come out of the train tunnel is a jaw dropping moment. Also, on the bridge with all the broken slats, I almost fell over when I looked down and saw I was stood over a bit that in reality I would have fallen through. Perhaps they could have done with fixing that.

Hm...

I wouldnt say its bad, but 9,99$ for a VR patch seem quite high...

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
nVidia VR drivers are here.

Virtual reality is here! This Game Ready driver brings full support for the Oculus Rift virtual reality headset, optimizations and enhancements for virtual reality games such as EVE: Valkyrie, Chronos, and Elite Dangerous, and the latest support for NVIDIA VRWorks. Make sure your PC is GeForce GTX VR Ready before stepping into the Rift!
The new driver also brings the latest support and enhancements for the upcoming HTC Vive headset.

http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/100868/en-us

Don't know if folks know about this.

BrettWeir

I looked at the tracking on their site and they're using UPS Ground, so I guess Oculus cheaped out on the shipping for backers with the exception of those that got theirs today for "launch".

edit: Also mine hasn't technically shipped yet, ups just sends out notices whenever a label is made for something to be delivered.

Oh god lol. So $30 gets UPS ground? Sooo, (possibly) shipping Wednesday....will be lucky (the irony) to have it by Saturday. This is getting more and more hilarious with each passing hour.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom