• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift Launch Thread: Ballpark 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

UnrealEck

I think there's a quality control issue with Rifts and they've been trying to rectify it and that's the cause of the delay. But they're not saying yet because of all those KS units already sent out.

I have a feeling the very few reports are fake. I believe nothing today.

I saw one person report 1:37 and another report 4:37. That makes me think there may have been a few sent. Just seems weird. It's so few today. How can this situation actually be getting worse. They should be working towards remedying the situation.

bigninja

oculus.jpg

Hooray! (I was a "26" I think)

TheRed

Thanks for the screenshot at least it's really happening, even though slowly, as an :06 order I'm hoping it only takes a few more days.

I got an order confirmation at 8:03.

Hmm. Your order time is probably :02 but you could also be in :03.

How to find out your exact order time:

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/4cl56j/order_shipments_are_about_order_time_not_order/

Follow the instructions

4:01:16 UTC would be an example of the server time you are looking for.

4 - This is the hour in UTC when orders began.
:01 - This is the minute (obviously)
:16 - This would be the seconds (obviously, again)

If they get through the :04s by some miracle today. They could start on the :05s on Monday. I bet the :05 takes three days alone.

aeroslash

Any of you with an asrock p67 extreme motherbase? I'm waiting for my oculus to arrive and i have already installed everything and downloaded Eve, but the oculus tool says i'm not ready because there's a problem with my usbs 3.0...

I've read on other forums that there are some problems with some manufacturers...so any of you with the same motherbase?

BrettWeir

I also think that Oculus Home is missing some standard features, that shouldnt exist when launching a platform to sell games anymore.

These are the things I would be mad about Oculus Home:

-No refunds
-No cloud saves
-Apps only downloadable onto the system partition (yet)
-No chatting in the Oculus Home desktop version
-No achievements
-No genres in the shop
-No other payment methods besides debit card and CC
-No real big profile (what games does ABC has)

(At least all these problems using the desktop app)

And some other problems. I mean everyone that sees how Origin, uPlay and Steam are working nowadays would see what customers want and need in a storefront/social plattform.

It also doesnt make any sense to buy the Oculus Home versions compared to Steam, when some games it seems are only available in their VR form, while on Steam you usually get Non-VR and VR, you have cloud-saves, achievements etc.
And one thing thats imo really important are refunds.

Imagine I play a game that makes you sick after 5 minutes of playing, because the VR implementation is bad. You cant really play it, you are not able to play it. On Steam I can refund that game. On Oculus I cant. They just say you can refund it if such products can be refunded in your country, but that means I have to write an email to them, they have to answer, they might need to check the law and in the end say: No.

All of this too. :) Thanks Chairmanchuck.

I honestly wouldn't even mind a two or three months delay, as long as they said -something-.

I think the 1-3 week email is a very accurate window for when everyone is getting their shipment. There is definitely some delay and someone should have followed up with more specific details.

I think the 1-3 week email is a very accurate window for when everyone is getting their shipment. There is definitely some delay and someone should have followed up with more specific details.

I think you're right. They might have been expecting everyone to react to that email by saying "Oooh ok, now we know!" and move on.

Website told me :33, and they are only at :02? Well looks Like I probably won't get it this month. Hell at this rate, probably not even next month..... Wow.

I think you're right. They might have been expecting everyone to react to that email by saying "Oooh ok, now we know!" and move on.

All they really need to do is come out and back up that 1-3 week estimate for all the people who received that email.

"Hey, it may look like we're moving slowly but we stand by a our commitment of a three week window. Shipping will ramp up in the coming week."

Silence.

They don't even need to be friendly about it. Just a statement.

From Reddit:

Dineren

Banned
I'm just disappointed I won't have some form of VR to play with this weekend. I'm going to be really busy at work the next few weeks and won't have much of a chance to mess with them too much even if I get the Vive or Oculus delivered next week.

lmimmfn

I'm incredibly grateful for what KS backers did, and happy they are getting free Rifts, but I think it was a grave error to prioritize them over paying customers. Especially when there were approximately 9000 KS backers.
There were 7500 full Rift backers, spread all across the world. Australia hasnt received any CV1's, Europe recieved only 1 day of shipping so far( 2 days ago ) and didnt even complete shipments to all Kickstarters.
So theres probably ~4000 KS backers in the US( and thats a generous figure ), if Oculus couldnt fulfill those in a day resulting in preorders being delayed by a day then blame them, not the decision to ship rifts to KS's when most outside the US havnt received theirs or any info on shipment.

I guess it still seems to me that people are just upset because they EXPECTED something by now, not because they were promised something by now. Which is still upsetting, but its kind of surprising to see the extent that people are upset. We knew it would be a limited quantity thing all along..
I tried to bring this exact sentiment to the thread a few pages back but to no avail, people just want to be mad. I will reiterate with you however: what they provided everyone was an estimate.

It sucks it's slow, but the company was obviously very deliberate about their wording.

It's a brand new class of device, far more intricate than the dev kits before it, it'll take time...

I tried to bring this exact sentiment to the thread a few pages back but to no avail, people just want to be mad. I will reiterate with you however: what they provided everyone was an estimate.

It sucks it's slow, but the company was obviously very deliberate about their wording.

It's a brand new class of device, far more intricate than the dev kits before it, it'll take time...

The thing is, that there is no communication at all besides the cryptic messages by Palmer and that VR-Researcher. "Promise =\ Estimate".
The launch was supposed to be on 28th (and somehow that was also the PR they sent to the outlets, that all received their CV1) and the NDA ran till that day.

Also reddit is finding out old statements by Palmer:

"Delaying at this point would be far worse than missing vague assumptions in the past, because we have committed to a ship date. Cutting out months of revenue with no warning would be catastrophic"

Commited to a shipping date doesnt sound more like a fixed one than just an estimate.

The thing is, that there is no communication at all besides the cryptic messages by Palmer and that VR-Researcher. "Promise = Estimate".
The launch was supposed to be on 28th (and somehow that was also the PR they sent to the outlets, that all received their CV1) and the NDA ran till that day.

Also reddit is finding out old statements by Palmer:

Commited to a shipping date doesnt sound more like a fixed one than just an estimate.
I just don't see it dude. Headsets HAVE/ARE shipping, there IS communication: people are receiving estimates of 1 to 3 weeks via email. What people want is exact times and dates, and they obviously can't supply that right now, it's a logistics thing.

This conversation has transpired a lot though, and we all find ourselves seeing it from our sides, so I'm not going to keep hammering at it.

I wish more hmds were being sent out so more people were happy.

nakedeyes

Banned

I see. Yeah, even all the responses I got last page seem to be people just upset that they haven't been "chosen" yet. I, understand that, and I sympathize... They should be more communicative in an ideal world, and other companies like Apple do this a bit better ( they are long established, and this is Oculus' first product launch really, so I don't know why people expect them to operate in the same capacity ).

Anyways, hope you all get notified soon.. I am just firing up Elite: Dangerous for a bit of play time on mine right now and then I hope to come back here and write up some impressions I have! So far: it's excellent. I was skeptical my rig would handle it great because it doesn't really meet the minimum spec, but so far the experience has been great! I am kind of expecting it to be less great with E: D though!

All they really need to do is come out and back up that 1-3 week estimate for all the people who received that email.

I think they also really need to send *something* to everyone who got the "your estimated ship date is March" information when they pre-ordered even if it's not the 1-3 week e-mail. I'm an :08 and not surprised I haven't gotten any e-mail yet, but it still said March when I ordered. I'm pretty sure i'll get it by the end of April, and i'm not remotely freaking out right now or anything (i've played with both headsets a bunch and they're cool, but the games aren't THAT cool so I can wait a bit), but they really should send something out to the people that said "March" at pre-order time that says "hey, we know we told you March, but demand blah blah blah, production blah blah blah, you'll get an e-mail 1-3 weeks before we actually get to you. Calm down."

They really need to just put expectations in check. I think there are a ton of people that wake up every day going "IS TODAY THE DAY?" when really their pre-order is still weeks away and they should stop worrying about it for a week or two. Especially since a bunch of them probably pre-ordered thinking it was going to beat the Vive, and it's looking increasingly likely that some decent chunk of people with pre-orders in the first 10 minutes might have actually been able to get a helmet faster by going Vive.

charpunk

I think they also really need to send *something* to everyone who got the "your estimated ship date is March" information when they pre-ordered even if it's not the 1-3 week e-mail. I'm an :08 and not surprised I haven't gotten any e-mail yet, but it still said March when I ordered. I'm pretty sure i'll get it by the end of April, and i'm not remotely freaking out right now or anything (i've played with both headsets a bunch and they're cool, but the games aren't THAT cool so I can wait a bit), but they really should send something out to the people that said "March" at pre-order time that says "hey, we know we told you March, but demand blah blah blah, production blah blah blah, you'll get an e-mail 1-3 weeks before we actually get to you. Calm down."

They really need to just put expectations in check. I think there are a ton of people that wake up every day going "IS TODAY THE DAY?" when really their pre-order is still weeks away and they should stop worrying about it for a week or two. Especially since a bunch of them probably pre-ordered thinking it was going to beat the Vive, and it's looking increasingly likely that some decent chunk of people with pre-orders in the first 10 minutes might have actually been able to get a helmet faster by going Vive.

They claim they have no way to see what month was shown to people I believe.

Enordash

They claim they have no way to see what month was shown to people I believe.

This could be true though. Who knows how that was actually calculated. Maybe they dramatically underestimated the sheer amount of orders coming in at once. I'm not going to dwell on it.

Kotaku had good things to say about Virtual Desktop with the CV1. It's currently the only VR thing I've spent money on since it doesn't matter which I end up with; this is a must-have. Hopefully it continues to be supported. I wonder if the Oculus Home version can update as easily as the Steam version.

Doesn't appear to be any shipping/movement at all today from Oculus.

Nope, pretty much bullshit. I have a strong feeling that a partner fucked up huge and Oculus can't say anything.

I won't assume malice on Oculus's part.

Regarding where I'll buy my games? Oculus Home. I like the interface. And Steam doesn't seem to really care about VR outside of just selling you stuff. If the Vive failed they'd just say "eh" and move on (in my opinion).

I hope that Home becomes the Steam of VR personally. While the pricing is great and they are NOW a monopoly that can do what they want, it was pretty shitty early on. So the basic start that Home has (for the 9 people who have their Rift that launched Monday) is a great groundwork that can be vastly improved upon. I don't blame them for not having a ton of features just yet, it's a whole new way to explore and view games so building it with consumer feedback would be best instead of just copying over what a 2D competitor does.

Edit: They should have some history of what was shown for the month, I can't imagine the calculation for that "disappearing" from their webcode and not being able to see what the input was... or maybe that's the problem, the company handling it fucked up and they can't point fingers.

Doesn't excuse absolute ZERO communication though. This reminds me if the GT5 launch on PS3.

:02s went out today from the looks of it. Weird if they are actually going by second per day as I thought for sure they would be able to do :02, 03 and 04 in one day.

pj

Banned
Nope, pretty much bullshit. I have a strong feeling that a partner fucked up huge and Oculus can't say anything.

I won't assume malice on Oculus's part.

Regarding where I'll buy my games? Oculus Home. I like the interface. And Steam doesn't seem to really care about VR outside of just selling you stuff. If the Vive failed they'd just say "eh" and move on (in my opinion).

I hope that Home becomes the Steam of VR personally. While the pricing is great and they are NOW a monopoly that can do what they want, it was pretty shitty early on. So the basic start that Home has (for the 9 people who have their Rift that launched Monday) is a great groundwork that can be vastly improved upon. I don't blame them for not having a ton of features just yet, it's a whole new way to explore and view games so building it with consumer feedback would be best instead of just copying over what a 2D competitor does.

Edit: They should have some history of what was shown for the month, I can't imagine the calculation for that "disappearing" from their webcode and not being able to see what the input was... or maybe that's the problem, the company handling it fucked up and they can't point fingers.

Doesn't excuse absolute ZERO communication though. This reminds me if the GT5 launch on PS3.

I feel like VR is way more important to valve than facebook.

Seiru

Banned
:02s went out today from the looks of it. Weird if they are actually going by second per day as I thought for sure they would be able to do :02, 03 and 04 in one day.

Jesus, they must be processing like 50 orders a day. What the hell sort of launch is this?

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos

When was the downtime gap? Pretty sure it was down for a few minutes in there.

BrettWeir

There were 7500 full Rift backers, spread all across the world. Australia hasnt received any CV1's, Europe recieved only 1 day of shipping so far( 2 days ago ) and didnt even complete shipments to all Kickstarters.
So theres probably ~4000 KS backers in the US( and thats a generous figure ), if Oculus couldnt fulfill those in a day resulting in preorders being delayed by a day then blame them, not the decision to ship rifts to KS's when most outside the US havnt received theirs or any info on shipment.

Had they shipped to paying customers first and backers later, they may have been able to stop some cancellations of paying customers. Had they not supplied KS backers, and backers were pissed, it wouldn't have lost them anything since the units are free.

Oh well. My eggs aren't in this basket any longer, and I was just giving my personal opinion. The fact is, they have lost hundreds of paying customers since Monday (last count I saw on Reddit was close to 400), myself included. $600 x 400 = $240,00 lost by Oculus. Probably doesn't mean much to them, but as I said earlier......first impressions are everything.

lmimmfn

Had they shipped to paying customers first and backers later, they may have been able to stop some cancellations of paying customers. Had they not supplied KS backers, and backers were pissed, it wouldn't have lost them anything since the units are free.

Oh well. My eggs aren't in this basket any longer, and I was just giving my personal opinion. The fact is, they have lost hundreds of paying customers since Monday (last count I saw on Reddit was close to 400), myself included. $600 x 400 = $240,00 lost by Oculus. Probably doesn't mean much to them, but as I said earlier......first impressions are everything.
Im only giving my own opinion also of course, but they dont care about who gets rifts. Theyre not making money on the hardware and the hit on KS hardware has already been decided. Their only interest is on increasing the userbase so they can get the 30% on software sales.
First impressions are everything and im sure they completely turned a lot of consumers off, i for one will only be buying things on Steam that either work with the Rift or also have a key for Oculus store.
I hope they do get lots of cancellations, if nothing but to drive home the fact that this is not how you do a launch.

GeoGonzo

Well then just send an email to everyone who ordered
Exactly this.

Of course than a "March" shipping estimate is not a promise, but it is literally the last (and in fact, only) ballpark delivery date for my "order" (which I haven't been charged for, so its more like a reservation?), and it is a three months old estimate by now.

Clearly march delivery isn't happening, so maybe april? may? Nobody knows.

Anyway, I'm done complaining about this because it isn't a big deal, I'll get this or a similar toy sooner or later... but its an interesting situation because I can hardly picture how they could have handled this any worse.

One of the big reasons people are getting a lot more frustrated, especially today, is due to the fact that Vive orders are being charged BEFORE the launch date. One week ago no one was getting a credit card charged for the Rift. In fact, no one saw a credit card charged for the Rift until two days after the March 28th launch date. That's a big problem.

Maybe that will help shed some light on the situation for those of you who don't understand why potential Rift owners are so upset.

We saw a lot of people posting about cancelling their Rift orders today early in the afternoon. That's not coincidence. People were waiting to see what Rift numbers would ship today and it seemed to be worse than the last two days. Meanwhile, Vive orders are being processed in decent numbers.

All the while there is a lack of communication from Oculus.

It's that simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom