• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift Launch Thread: Ballpark 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enordash

Is there any story elements to this game (ala Banjo Kazooie or Mario 64)?

Yea, there is an overarching story. It's a loose premise to get the ball rolling like the Mario games.

There is a VR games thread that I tried to get going to avoid issues like the ones you mentioned but no one really uses it. Saddens me that most of the VR threads are filled with negativity about shipping issues or what have you instead of actual impressions of games/experiences. Sure you might find a post every now and then (like yours) with impressions about something, but it would be great if people would use the VR games thread so that impressions could be found in one place instead of scouring the other threads.

Agreed. I want to gush about some of these games to the people that have access. I get that it sucks because I was in that boat last week.

Zaptruder

Banned
Ah fuck The Climb. It's a good game when it's working right. But the number of times where you're looking at a chalked ledge and the hand just refuses to grip it is too goddamn high.

Like... the sweet spot for this is a bit hard to comprehend. Some hand holds no worries, some others, fuck you.

This problem is best characterized with the ropes that you climb - some of the button presses don't do shit, and you're left puzzled because you haven't changed your gaze much if at all. Also it's a goddamn rope, it's supposed to be the easiest thing to grab!

It gets super frustrating when you're trying to go for a no fall speed run, because over a long run, something will go wrong and annoy the shit out of you.

Played a bit more. It's still janky, but it seems the work around is basically look up at the hand hold, hold trigger and look down until your hand hooks into the hold... basically a hooking motion. Seems a lot more reliable. Also a lot of holds where you have to go up on your tippy toes to reach. The alternative is jumping, but that takes a lot of energy.

Absinthe

Yea, there is an overarching story. It's a loose premise to get the ball rolling like the Mario games.

Agreed. I want to gush about some of these games to the people that have access. I get that it sucks because I was in that boat last week.

Tonight I finally put some time into Lucky's Tale and so far I am thoroughly impressed!

This game really demonstrates how VR can enhance almost any genre. In world three there is a small section where you have to jump over spiky logs rolling at you and all I could think of is how incredible the airship levels of Super Mario Bros 3 would look in VR. The underground sections are another unique way to make VR shine. In fact I cannot wait for someone to make a game that mirrors the style of underground 3d (can you imagine a new Shadow Complex?)

Every time they would introduce a new section I would just smile at how wonderful it felt to play through these new takes on traditional gameplay.

Playing Lucky's Tale makes me wish that Nintendo would develop for other platforms. A Mario or Zelda in VR like Lucky's Tale would be amazing.

TheRed

Tonight I finally put some time into Lucky's Tale and so far I am thoroughly impressed!

This game really demonstrates how VR can enhance almost any genre. In world three there is a small section where you have to jump over spiky logs rolling at you and all I could think of is how incredible the airship levels of Super Mario Bros 3 would look in VR. The underground sections are another unique way to make VR shine. In fact I cannot wait for someone to make a game that mirrors the style of underground 3d (can you imagine a new Shadow Complex?)

Every time they would introduce a new section I would just smile at how wonderful it felt to play through these new takes on traditional gameplay.

Playing Lucky's Tale makes me wish that Nintendo would develop for other platforms. A Mario or Zelda in VR like Lucky's Tale would be amazing.

On that note, anyone here messed around with Dolphin VR yet?

Enordash

This is exactly what I was thinking. A Nintendo platformer in the Rift would be absolutely insane. There are better hints of depth and variety towards the end of Lucky's Tale. It's definitely worth seeing through to the end. A Lucky's Tale 2 could be seriously great. I hope they made enough money with this deal to give it another go.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Trying out the Studio Ghibli demos makes me super excited for a VR JRPG.

Tain

I was actually surprised to see a couple Japanese games on the Oculus store on launch. Not exactly big names, but still.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
I can't stop buying games.

So BlazeRush is ridiculously fun. It's like playing on the ultimate Hot Wheels track (is that still a thing? It was when I was a kid) but with explosions and chaos! It's hard to judge it based off trailers but it works great in VR. Makes me feel like a kid.

For 10 bucks I think it's a no brainer of a buy.

Enordash

I can't stop buying games.

So BlazeRush is ridiculously fun. It's like playing on the ultimate Hot Wheels track (is that still a thing? It was when I was a kid) but with explosions and chaos! It's hard to judge it based off trailers but it works great in VR. Makes me feel like a kid.

For 10 bucks I think it's a no brainer of a buy.

Ooh, I might have to pick this up.

I started Chronos today. I really love the intro to that game. So far it's pretty good. I just need to get used to the combat since I keep trying to use Dark Souls controls...

TwistGibber said there was a payment lock on my account despite updating my CC info. Apparently it should be all good now.

Hopefully this week.

Donnie

That sounds terrible.

Like, I get the "immersion" but it's like VR GTA actually making you run in an Omni for 1.5 miles if you wreck your car in the forest. Or making swimming motions to swim back to land for 500 yards.

I love doing shit, but that ain't the shit I want to do in a game!

Its hardly the same as having to run miles in GTA. The entire point of the game is climbing, if simulating the act of climbing is too much for someone then a climbing simulation probably isn't their thing..

StudioTan

Its hardly the same as having to run miles in GTA. The entire point of the game is climbing, if simulating the act of climbing is too much for someone then a climbing simulation probably isn't their thing..

You get the thrill of climbing, ie the views, without the exertion. That kinda sounds like video games. :p

Donnie

You get the thrill of climbing, ie the views, without the exertion. That kinda sounds like video games. :p

Personally think the thrill would be far greater if you're immersed and that, after all, is the point of VR. Obviously the best option is to allow for both control methods. But I know which one I'd be using, got to be as close as possible to the real thing for me (without risking my life obviously :) ).

From the Forbes review:

Note that The Climb is a VR rock climbing game, not a VR rock climbing simulator. There’s a heaping helping of “Tom Cruise in the opening to Mission Impossible 2” power fantasy here, as your character can leap across 8 foot gaps and grab the tiniest grip in a cliff-face one-handed. Not without risk of course, but more effortlessly than what’s humanly possible without being some kind of ‘roided out superhero.
When Oculus Touch launches, The Climb will support the Rift’s motion controllers. Initially I was ready to blast Crytek for not waiting until this “secondary” Rift launch to release their game, but simply standing up changed everything. After spending more time with The Climb, I’m not convinced that more realistic motion controls will result in a better experience. In fact, I’m worried they might actually increase the risk of arm strain or immersion-breaking possibilities. But since I can’t possibly know how the game will change when these are implemented (which will be an optional control scheme), I can’t knock the game based solely on speculation.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/games/2...-vr-rock-climbing-power-fantasy/#2f7106796ea5

Donnie

Ah well hopefully someone will bring out a true climbing simulator in the near future. I'd still give The Climb a go but I'd prefer a real simulation.

Is there any chromatic aberration when viewing the rift?

Nope!

A massive improvement over DK2 which had crazy amounts of chromatic abberation visible.

The only visual artifact the Rift has are the "god rays" which are distracting in some scenes, but not noticeable in like 95% of scenes. Even then, I would prefer those over chromatic abberation which was visible in nearly ever scene in DK2.

Ah well hopefully someone will bring out a true climbing simulator in the near future. I'd still give The Climb a go but I'd prefer a real simulation.

Considering a massive part of climbing is about your legs and foot placement, I'm really not sure if it would be possible to get a true "simulation". Maybe with the STEM trackers on your ankles you could get something better, but with Vive/Rift focusing on hands it's unlikely you'll see anything in the short-term. Sure, they could find ways to reduce some of the more extreme or unrealistic moves in the game but even if they did that I wouldn't go so far as to call that a simulation until you had full body tracking.

Yeah, I don't really see the value in going full on "simulator" with it. Maybe using tracked hand controls will add to the immersion even if it doesn't allow full simulation, but it could easily make it a lot less fun by having your progress entirely linked to physical ability.

Anyway, after holding off buying it because of the price I've decided to treat myself, so I'll give some impressions soon.

StudioTan

Personally think the thrill would be far greater if you're immersed and that, after all, is the point of VR. Obviously the best option is to allow for both control methods. But I know which one I'd be using, got to be as close as possible to the real thing for me (without risking my life obviously :) ).

The problem is I feel like there would be more disconnect if you're using motion controllers because there are many moments where your in game body is doing things that your real body wouldn't be doing, like swinging or jumping.

For example, let's say your hand are together on a ledge and you're reaching up to grab another ledge. What happens is the game pulls you up when you grab it, meanwhile your other hand is still on the lower ledge. If the game didn't do that then you'd need to make a pulling motion by bringing your hand back down to lift yourself up. However now think about where your hands are in real life, they are together again, meanwhile in the game they are separated.

It's hard to explain unless you play the game but it you wouldn't be able to mimic what is happening in the game in real life because you can't go vertically since you're standing on the floor. So motion controls would be an alternate way to select where you are grabbing in game but I don't think it will necessarily end up more immersive.

Enordash

Considering a massive part of climbing is about your legs and foot placement, I'm really not sure if it would be possible to get a true "simulation". Maybe with the STEM trackers on your ankles you could get something better, but with Vive/Rift focusing on hands it's unlikely you'll see anything in the short-term. Sure, they could find ways to reduce some of the more extreme or unrealistic moves in the game but even if they did that I wouldn't go so far as to call that a simulation until you had full body tracking.

It is weird asking for a climbing simulator that only uses your arms since as you said, climbing is mostly about the feet and legs. If people go into The Climb expecting more of a traditional video game, they should be more happy with it.

Chronos is pretty ridiculous. I'm really enjoying it so far. The sense of scale is so great in VR and the game uses it wisely.

StudioTan

It is weird asking for a climbing simulator that only uses your arms since as you said, climbing is mostly about the feet and legs. If people go into The Climb expecting more of a traditional video game, they should be more happy with it.

Chronos is pretty ridiculous. I'm really enjoying it so far. The sense of scale is so great in VR and the game uses it wisely.

Did you get to the portal door yet? That's where the scale gets really cool.

The problem is I feel like there would be more disconnect if you're using motion controllers because there are many moments where your in game body is doing things that your real body wouldn't be doing, like swinging or jumping.

For example, let's say your hand are together on a ledge and you're reaching up to grab another ledge. What happens is the game pulls you up when you grab it, meanwhile your other hand is still on the lower ledge. If the game didn't do that then you'd need to make a pulling motion by bringing your hand back down to lift yourself up. However now think about where your hands are in real life, they are together again, meanwhile in the game they are separated.

It's hard to explain unless you play the game but it you wouldn't be able to mimic what is happening in the game in real life because you can't go vertically since you're standing on the floor. So motion controls would be an alternate way to select where you are grabbing in game but I don't think it will necessarily end up more immersive.

There's is definitely a similar effect to the uncanny valley that can happen with motion controls where attempting to be as realistic as possible makes the disconnect feel even greater when they don't work as you'd expect.

Did the first two easy courses in The Climb. Pretty intense, and easily the best looking and most polished VR game I've played so far. Really looking forward to doing the others, seems like it's going to get pretty hard.

Zaptruder

Banned
Yeah, I don't really see the value in going full on "simulator" with it. Maybe using tracked hand controls will add to the immersion even if it doesn't allow full simulation, but it could easily make it a lot less fun by having your progress entirely linked to physical ability.

Anyway, after holding off buying it because of the price I've decided to treat myself, so I'll give some impressions soon.

Had a pretty great weekend doing The Climb. I get this point of view - I was definetly doing things that were physically impossible in the climb, especially with regards to arm reach.

On the flipside, I still think the game would see significant enhancement with motion controllers - I'm just happy it's fairly playable with the game controller.

As far as making it work with motion controllers, the best way to do it would be to use the controllers as pointers - model and represent both the controllers and the hand positions for the player.

That way the player knows where their own hands are and how it relates to the climber hands. It'd be a more intuitive way of climbing as well - and rely less on (or not at all) on head look to find grips.

That difference alone could do a lot for the immersiveness of the experience - because right now, it kinda feels like your face is a laser pointer for your hands.

so i ended up with a cv1 today, after grabbing one off of kijiji

people were asking too much for dk2s and were in general, non-responsive, so i paid the extra couple bucks for the proper release version. overall impressions, so far this is amazing.

am i missing something, or where are the luckys revenge/eve codes located?

TheExodu5

Banned
so i ended up with a cv1 today, after grabbing one off of kijiji

people were asking too much for dk2s and were in general, non-responsive, so i paid the extra couple bucks for the proper release version. overall impressions, so far this is amazing.

am i missing something, or where are the luckys revenge/eve codes located?

Eve was sent to me through e-mail. Lucky's tale was added to my Oculus account automatically.

Coverly

Got Fated and The Climb and these are two quality releases that are worth recommending.

Fated took a little getting used to moving around the controller, not too jarring but still. It's really cool how characters react to you nodding your head to say yes and no. In the early part where you learn how to shoot a bow and you're walking in the forest you suddenly feel like "so this is what it is like to be inside a video game". With Chronos, it did feel like that but since you saw the character you were controlling, it's like you were an observant. Here, you're the center pieces and everything moves around you. You can see your feet, hold out your arms, circle an npc, cool moments all around. Voice acting was solid and loved the fire chats and the carriage a lot. In those moments you could really take in the scenery.

The climb, Im not really sure who thought it was a good idea to make a game out of this but it worked. It was hard to play though, because of the tension of missing a jump. The hands mapped to each trigger felt natural enough and the only real trouble i had was constantly loosing my footing a bit in real life since your body kind of tends to go the direction you're going in the game.

I think The Climb might be my favourite VR game so far. Realising you could hold the trigger for your free hand so that it automatically grabs once your aim at the right spot really made the controls click for me. All three easy courses done now, full on sweaty palms by the end of those.
Really recommend it.

Nice, what estimate window were you in?

I was April 18 to 28th. I had a declined charge on the 22nd. Had to contact TheTwistgibber on Reddit to get the payment hold removed and it finally went through yesterday.

Hopefully it ships tonight and arrives tomorrow.

Enordash

I think The Climb might be my favourite VR game so far. Realising you could hold the trigger for your free hand so that it automatically grabs once your aim at the right spot really made the controls click for me. All three easy courses done now, full on sweaty palms by the end of those.
Really recommend it.

I didn't expect so many positive impressions on The Climb. I may have to throw down the $50... I'm glad the impressions are picking up in this thread too!

StudioTan

Now I am debating between The Climb and Chronos.

That's a tough one because they are very different experiences. Chronos is longer and can be played while relaxing while The Climb is more intense and is played standing. The Climb is more impressive in terms of VR but Chronos has deeper gameplay. Both are excellent though.

If I could only choose one it'd probably be Chronos but I love RPGs.

That's a tough one because they are very different experiences. Chronos is longer and can be played while relaxing while The Climb is more intense and is played standing. The Climb is more impressive in terms of VR but Chronos has deeper gameplay. Both are excellent though.

If I could only choose one it'd probably be Chronos but I love RPGs.

Thanks.

So The Climb can only be played standing to experience it properly?

GeoGonzo

Thanks.

So The Climb can only be played standing to experience it properly?

It could probably be played seated if you are okay with jumping all the time, but that's not too easy or reliable. Playing it while standing allows you to much more easily lean towards the next place you want to grab from. I only play it while standing.

Looks like my order is going to be shipped soon. I couldn't bring myself to cancel after hearing some things about Elite Dangerous and the Vive. Funny that after all this waiting, my Vive and Rift are going to be delivered within days of each other.

StudioTan

It could probably be played seated if you are okay with jumping all the time, but that's not too easy or reliable. Playing it while standing allows you to much more easily lean towards the next place you want to grab from. I only play it while standing.

^^^

Even though it doesn't use motion controllers you do use your body to reach ledges, I've had to go up on my toes a few times and you can even jump. I played it sitting once but it feels awkward.

TheRed

My Rift just arrived! I haven't even eaten breakfast yet. I didn't think it would come this early and that I would have to wait until after work. Now I'm gonna try to get a couple hours in before going to work.

Oculus Rift retail availability.

Hi everyone,
Today we’ve announced that we’ve partnered with Best Buy to offer in-store Oculus Rift experiences as part of The Intel Experience in 48 stores within the United States. You’ll be able to schedule a demo via Oculus Live (http://live.oculus.com) for these stores for up to a month in advance.

As we’ve always believed, the best way to get people excited about virtual reality is to allow them to experience it for themselves. This is just the beginning, and there will be many more locations to follow.

We’ve also partnered with Amazon and Microsoft to offer an extremely limited number of Oculus Rifts via their respective websites, and with Best Buy for in-store sales. We’ve limited the quantity to a small number of units as we know that we have preorders patiently waiting for their Rifts. We always planned for retail to come shortly after launch (previously announced April), but we delayed availability as far as we could extend our partnership with retailers. We understand the timing isn’t ideal for our preorder customers.

If any of our existing preorders in the United States would like to take advantage of this retail offer, we’ve made sure that there is a way for you to cancel your preorder while keeping your place in the queue for Oculus Touch and the Eve: Valkyrie Founder’s Pack. Starting May 6th, simply login to your Order History located at https://shop.oculus.com/history and let us know you’ve purchased a Rift at retail by marking the checkbox. We’ll cancel your preorder while making sure that you’ve retained your place in line for Oculus Touch and kept your Eve: Valkyrie Founder’s Pack entitlement. Do not cancel your preorder via a ticket to Oculus Support if you wish to participate as this is a special process only available through the Order History.
In a few minutes, we'll have a blog post with more details.

As we know you may have questions, I’ll be in this thread to provide additional information and answer those questions if possible.

AgeEighty

Trying to spin a retail launch as a positive without fulfilling preorders is insane. How do they still let Palmer speak?

What's their alternative? They made the deals with retailers long before the shipping problems occurred. According to them, the deals were already delayed as long as they could, and they can't just back out. Seems they're shipping the smallest number to retailers that still fulfills their agreements.

undecided

What's their alternative? They made the deals with retailers long before the shipping problems occurred. According to them, the deals were already delayed as long as they could, and they can't just back out.

Not try to spin it as a good thing for your unfulfilled preorders? They already went through the 'contractual obligations' for the bundles which were announced months ago. I was fine with those, but Palmer just can't keep quiet.

AgeEighty

Not try to spin it as a good thing for your unfulfilled preorders? They already went through the 'contractual obligations' for the bundles which were announced months ago. I was fine with those, but Palmer just can't keep quiet.

They're supposed to spin it as a bad thing? I'm sure their retail partners would love that.

Palmer shouldn't be allowed to talk about the shipping situation.

Otherwise, he's enthusiastic when it comes to the tech side of things. Keep him out there for that and as an ambassador for the product in other ways. Just don't let him address shipping in any meaningful way beyond "We are shipping new Rifts everyday."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom