• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift Launch Thread: Ballpark 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheExodu5

Banned
What CPU?

2500K @ 4.4GHz

I'm sure I'm going to run into a lot of issues with a lot of games, since the GTX 970 is the target...but I should hopefully be able to find some experiences that can satisfy me for now until the new GPUs come out.

BTW, does anyone know how to replay those 5 intro demos when you first install the Rift?

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
2500K @ 4.4GHz

I'm sure I'm going to run into a lot of issues with a lot of games, since the GTX 970 is the target...but I should hopefully be able to find some experiences that can satisfy me for now until the new GPUs come out.

BTW, does anyone know how to replay those 5 intro demos when you first install the Rift?

Download Oculus Dreamdeck.

Enordash

Anyone grab Fated? I'll be wrapping up Lucky's Tale over the weekend. Trying to decide what to move on to from there. I'm also wrapping up Dark Souls 3 so I don't know if I want to immediately go to Chronos. Maybe move to a different genre for the next game.

TheExodu5

Banned
Hmmm...Steam VR isn't detecting my Oculus Rift. I went in the Oculus settings and allowed unknown sources. Still not working. I had it set up with my DK1 previously.

TheExodu5

Banned
I restarted my PC and now my Rift has a flashing red light. And it won't work anymore. I don't know what's going on.

edit: looks like it needed a firmware update? I guess?

Playing EVE: Valkyrie. Noticed that it has "Ultra" graphics settings. I've got a 980ti, let's do this! Looks good, but after a bit, I notice that it hitches up randomly. Also, weird sounds are coming through the home theatre setup that my PC is hooked to, but not the Rift's headphones. Peek through the nose-hole to see...

...apparently, Steam was running in the background, receiving my controller inputs. American Truck simulator had started up, and was running at the same time as Valkyrie. My big rig was in an intersection. Eff off lazy devs, optimize your ish so I can run two games at once!

Enordash

Playing EVE: Valkyrie. Noticed that it has "Ultra" graphics settings. I've got a 980ti, let's do this! Looks good, but after a bit, I notice that it hitches up randomly. Also, weird sounds are coming through the home theatre setup that my PC is hooked to, but not the Rift's headphones. Peek through the nose-hole to see...

...apparently, Steam was running in the background, receiving my controller inputs. American Truck simulator had started up, and was running at the same time as Valkyrie. My big rig was in an intersection. Eff off lazy devs, optimize your ish so I can run two games at once!

This is an amazing problem to have.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
So any game or tech demo recommendations? Presence is what I'm looking for.

Honestly one of the biggest senses of presence is in the free BigScreen app which is on Steam.

For games The Climb has by far the most presence right now for me but I know it's pricey. I've kept coming back to it during the day, it's fun. Pinball FX2 VR is also really good for that, feels like playing real tables. Lucky's Tail feels like I'm looking at actual toys sometimes, especially when you find the little gifts that have figurines in them. I'd also recommend Chronos. While the stylized graphics keep it from having true presence for me some of the scale in the game is very impressive. Also, I tried to lean on a table in that game so I guess it does have some presence :p

Have you downloaded Farlands? That's another good one and free.

They told me my order that was declined previously would go out in the next batch.

The next batch happened and nothing. I have a Vive order in now because I could see this going about an entire month with the way Oculus support handles these situations. Frustrating.

TheRed

Seems I was finally processed at around 1:30 a.m. today. Didn't expect that, really hope it ships out today as well. 06:29 order, in Florida. Hoping to get both my Vive and Rift next week, it feels so real after being charged for both!

StudioTan

They told me my order that was declined previously would go out in the next batch.

The next batch happened and nothing. I have a Vive order in now because I could see this going about an entire month with the way Oculus support handles these situations. Frustrating.

Mine got shipped on Friday last week, so there is still hope.

Both Fated and Climb, now that both are out, seems to be really missing Touch judging by the people on reddit and some reviews...

Fated needs a run button more than it needs Touch. It's incredibly slow. I haven't played an awful lot but nothing so far would really benefit from Touch, there's not a huge amount of interaction with the world.

The Climb maybe could, but having played the rock climbing games in Wii Fit it would be incredibly tiring. It'll be fine as an optional thing which I think they're adding when Touch is out.

Fated needs a run button more than it needs Touch. It's incredibly slow. I haven't played an awful lot but nothing so far would really benefit from Touch, there's not a huge amount of interaction with the world.

The Climb maybe could, but having played the rock climbing games in Wii Fit it would be incredibly tiring. It'll be fine as an optional thing which I think they're adding when Touch is out.

I dont know, since I dont have a VR headset yet, but there are some people on Reddit that said that the bow-sections in Fated, some puzzle sections where you are moving your hands or holding a torch would benefit from Touch.

Btw. I actually think they said sth. about Touch support for The Climb when they first announced it.

I dont know, since I dont have a VR headset yet, but there are some people on Reddit that said that the bow-sections in Fated, some puzzle sections where you are moving your hands or holding a torch would benefit from Touch.

Btw. I actually think they said sth. about Touch support for The Climb when they first announced it.

The bow sections are pretty simplistic and aiming with your head works fine, you're still getting finer control than with a stick and it feels quite natural. Maybe later having free movement of your hands would feel natural, but as it stands I was quite enjoying it as a relaxed experience that didn't need much exertion. It's nice to mix up the more involved experiences with something a bit more passive.

TheExodu5

Banned
Anyone else have a noticeable brightness difference in both eyes on a black screen? My right eye's display is noticeably brighter than the left

Enordash

The bow sections are pretty simplistic and aiming with your head works fine, you're still getting finer control than with a stick and it feels quite natural. Maybe later having free movement of your hands would feel natural, but as it stands I was quite enjoying it as a relaxed experience that didn't need much exertion. It's nice to mix up the more involved experiences with something a bit more passive.

Is it worth the buy?

I accidentally ducked below my desk today and lost tracking. That is a quick way to sickness.

Jack John

Initial impressions were that I was pretty blown away. I've never done any sort of VR so this level of immersion is something I've never experienced before. You really do feel like you are in a completely different place. I called my friend almost immediately and was like, "um Lebron James dunked over me and I just pet a dinosaur."

The initial VR dream deck videos are a ton of fun and really were a great introduction to the oculus.

As far as gaming, my biggest surprise was what a hard time physically I had in the first person games such as Ethan Carter or even the recently released Fated. There's something about moving the camera with the analog stick instead of with your head where the image rushes by you and makes me extremely dizzy and nauseous. It's something I haven't had a problem with in any third person game (Chronos, Lucky's Tale, etc.) or interactive movie like experience.

Wallach

Initial impressions were that I was pretty blown away. I've never done any sort of VR so this level of immersion is something I've never experienced before. You really do feel like you are in a completely different place. I called my friend almost immediately and was like, "um Lebron James dunked over me and I just pet a dinosaur."

The initial VR dream deck videos are a ton of fun and really were a great introduction to the oculus.

As far as gaming, my biggest surprise was what a hard time physically I had in the first person games such as Ethan Carter or even the recently released Fated. There's something about moving the camera with the analog stick instead of with your head where the image rushes by you and makes me extremely dizzy and nauseous. It's something I haven't had a problem with in any third person game (Chronos, Lucky's Tale, etc.) or interactive movie like experience.

Yep. Artificial acceleration or yaw will disrupt your brain since your vestibular system isn't providing matching information to what it expects based on visual input. Some peoples' brains are going to put different amounts of priority on that particular sensory info so some people don't feel weird at all and some people would get kind of uncomfortable even playing something like Lucky's Tale when the camera is moving on its own. Your brain does sort of slowly adapt to playing in VR over time and you may feel less disruption from the vestibular / visual mismatch (which is what people mean by getting their "VR legs"), but in general it is varying amounts of unpleasant.

JambiBum

Both Fated and Climb, now that both are out, seems to be really missing Touch judging by the people on reddit and some reviews...

For someone that doesn't have a headset yet you sure do like to complain about how touch isn't out and how games really need it which isn't really true at all. I honestly thought you had a headset and you were disappointed in the fact that Touch wasn't out yet which would have at least made sense.

Would Touch help with immersion in certain games? Of course it would. But things like the Climb and Fated don't need it at all. The Climb doesn't need it because the controls work really well without them and it would get incredibly tiring (albeit realistic) to use Touch for that game. The Fated devs actually replied to those people complaining about lack of Touch in those threads on reddit and said that their game actually isn't suited for Touch at all because of the things you do in the game. They specifically addressed the bow usage and said that they enjoyed their version of using a bow more with a controller than with Touch and if they were to design the game around Touch they would have to completely change the fundamentals of the game.

Just because a game seems like it could benefit from Touch/motion controls doesn't mean that it actually would. Devs have had access to Touch for a while now and can decide whether or not their game would be better with or without it. Let's let the devs decide on what works best for their game instead of just assuming that one is better than the other shall we?

TheRed

Finally see a shipment for my order from 5:46 pm on the ups delivery manager. If it ships out today I hope I have the ability to pick up from somewhere if it's close enough over the weekend.

LaneDS

Finally see a shipment for my order from 5:46 pm on the ups delivery manager. If it ships out today I hope I have the ability to pick up from somewhere if it's close enough over the weekend.

What was your order estimate prior to today? In the 5/2-5/12 group and my hype has been pretty much entirely deflated to the point I'm questioning whether I'll even keep the damn thing when/if it arrives.

TheRed

What was your order estimate prior to today? In the 5/2-5/12 group and my hype has been pretty much entirely deflated to the point I'm questioning whether I'll even keep the damn thing when/if it arrives.

I had a 06:29 order with a 4/25-5/5 estimate. I had no hope until this morning bank was charged. Good thing is when it finally happens the process to getting the Rift seems to only take a few days. UPS says it'll be here Monday. HTC has had my money for longer already with no shipping.

For someone that doesn't have a headset yet you sure do like to complain about how touch isn't out and how games really need it which isn't really true at all. I honestly thought you had a headset and you were disappointed in the fact that Touch wasn't out yet which would have at least made sense.

Would Touch help with immersion in certain games? Of course it would. But things like the Climb and Fated don't need it at all. The Climb doesn't need it because the controls work really well without them and it would get incredibly tiring (albeit realistic) to use Touch for that game. The Fated devs actually replied to those people complaining about lack of Touch in those threads on reddit and said that their game actually isn't suited for Touch at all because of the things you do in the game. They specifically addressed the bow usage and said that they enjoyed their version of using a bow more with a controller than with Touch and if they were to design the game around Touch they would have to completely change the fundamentals of the game.

Just because a game seems like it could benefit from Touch/motion controls doesn't mean that it actually would. Devs have had access to Touch for a while now and can decide whether or not their game would be better with or without it. Let's let the devs decide on what works best for their game instead of just assuming that one is better than the other shall we?

I am just reading what I read on Reddit and NeoGAF and it seems a lot of people were kinda disappointed that Touch isnt out yet.
And everyone who tried out Touch said how better games would be with it. The Climb Review from VRFocus states that the game would benefit from Touch. And of course, if I am a dev and just released a Game for a VR headset, I wouldnt say "Yeah guys. We are planning a Touch-Version/It would be better with Touch", when Touch isnt out yet. Most customers would wait for that version then.

And afaik the devseven talked about that they have that in mind when they announced the game. I am sure it will get a Touch Version as well as Fated and some other games. I mean most of the comparisons by most sites state that Vive is better right now because of the motion controllers (and roomscale) when it comes to immersion.

And in this topic I usually complain about Oculus, because of how the company acts towards its customers and how their client is lacking things that every Indie-dev would actually add in a client if they ever used Steam, Origin or uPlay.
Just some examples: No refunds, only CC, no regional pricing, no achievements, no community features, no cloud-saves, a storefront where you cant even search for games, not much VR content since launch (while on Steam almost every day VR content is released), no Touch, apparently bad customer service, no fullscreen projecting games (some games do, some not) compard to SteamVR.

Its not that I want to rant. Its just kinda disappointing following all those news.

And yes. I am still waiting on my order. July-Batch :(

I am just reading what I read on Reddit and NeoGAF and it seems a lot of people were kinda disappointed that Touch isnt out yet.

The subreddit is... a bit of a mess, at the moment. For a good long stretch, the *only* threads that seemed to be upvoted were those that were critical (with varying degrees of fairness) of Oculus, the launch, Palmer's choice in footwear, etc. It make sense - most everyone is still waiting for their HMD, and the only thing to post about is disappointment. The single most upvoted comment in Palmer's response thread was by a poster whose entire post history was specifically anti-Oculus stuff, anywhere that would listen.

The mods got tougher on locking/removing posts that were clearly there to stir up drama, and immediately the Reddit "you are keeping me from trolling and it is CENSORSHIP" force arrived.

As someone with a Rift, whose Vive is being delivered Tuesday... it may not be the best place for reasoned discussion. Basic information? Sure.

So are people getting their headsets delivered as per the new estimates? Mine is still a month away...

Mine was a 6 minute, 14 second order, originally estimated for March. Got the 1-3 week email, later revised to 4/25 - 5/5. Arrived on 4/25.

Bookoo

And everyone who tried out Touch said how better games would be with it. The Climb Review from VRFocus states that the game would benefit from Touch. And of course, if I am a dev and just released a Game for a VR headset, I wouldnt say "Yeah guys. We are planning a Touch-Version/It would be better with Touch", when Touch isnt out yet.

Well yea, motion controls are cool so it sucks to have to wait, but it really depends on the games. I have heard good things about the controller support on The Climb,

I have both headsets at the moment and currently the Oculus is getting most of my time mainly because of the polished content out for it.

Vive experiences are fun, but a little shallow and I don't find myself playing for all that long. Although I do recommend Holoball for anyone who has their headset. I just picked it up, it's only $6-7 bucks and it's a lot of fun.

However having motion controls on Vive did only make me wish I had them on Rift because I find that headset much comfortable and more polished over all.

Jack John

Yep. Artificial acceleration or yaw will disrupt your brain since your vestibular system isn't providing matching information to what it expects based on visual input. Some peoples' brains are going to put different amounts of priority on that particular sensory info so some people don't feel weird at all and some people would get kind of uncomfortable even playing something like Lucky's Tale when the camera is moving on its own. Your brain does sort of slowly adapt to playing in VR over time and you may feel less disruption from the vestibular / visual mismatch (which is what people mean by getting their "VR legs"), but in general it is varying amounts of unpleasant.

Hmm thanks for the response. Hoping you are right and my body sort of gets used to it because I'd hate to miss out on future single player games that use this kind of mechanic. I guess I'm lucky because third person and other things dont bother me at all. Tried out The Climb and was fine-- I guess because your head still does the moving.

TheExodu5

Banned
I've heard of an issue with black levels in general not being set low enough:
https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/4eoayn/heads_up_if_blacks_appear_bright_grey_with_the/

First I've heard of it being different between the two displays though.

Someone else on reddit had the same issue, albeit seemingly far more pronounced than mine:

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/4gow8l/has_anyone_successfully_had_a_defective_unit/

LiQk31W.jpg

I guess I might need to contact support.

Oculus is handling this launch even worse than HTC xD

Where's my kickstarter headset?

I'm starting to think they purposely delayed everything so I can't sell my CV1 as soon as it gets here xD

;(

Enordash

We should break out the shipping issues to a different thread like with the Vive. I wanted to come in and leave some late game Lucky's Tale impressions, but the vibe is super negative in here.

Kevin

Has anyone tried any games in VOPRX? Looking for impressions on stuff like Alan Wake, GTA V, Dreamfall Chapters, Fallout 4, etc.

vermadas

VorpX was just patched today, most notably to add beta Vive support, but there's experimental "Direct Head Tracking" which right now only works in Fallout 4. I plan on checking it out later.

Everything I've tried in vorpX has been disappointing, but I've only been trying unsupported games that have a third person perspective ( Dark Souls 3, PvZ: Garden Warfare 2). The biggest problem with these games is that the camera "axis" of rotation is on your avatar instead of being fixed to the camera itself, which is disorienting to say the least. DaS 3 also doesn't have configurable FoV (there's a way to do it with CheatEngine but I figured it wasn't worth the effort). There are lots of other problems that would need solving:

- Even if there was a way to change the camera rotation axis, in games like Souls you would still want to be able to move the camera itself. If camera movement was completely mapped to head tracking, you would only have the lock-on button / center camera button. And when locked on, player controlled camera is disabled...

- In games like PvZ: GW2 you have a target reticle tied to the camera. Which is fine for FPS games, but for third-person, I'm not really sure if it would feel/work correctly if the camera rotation axis was not on your avatar.

I think if you're planning on playing GTAV, Skyrim, or Fallout 4 you'll have much better luck. Those games get the primary attention from the community.

Enordash

Alright, screw it. I just finished Lucky's Tale and I need to leave some impressions! The final ~20% of that game is easily the best of it. I really wish they would have expanded on some of the late game ideas a little more. I really hope there's a Lucky's Tale 2. I swear the game looked better and better the more I played it. This could just be me getting used to the Rift. I think there was only one little piece of the game that made my stomach drop. If anyone is trying to collect all of the presents, you probably know which one caused a little bit of sickness. All in all, it was a delightful game, just a bit short.

Kevin

Alright, screw it. I just finished Lucky's Tale and I need to leave some impressions! The final ~20% of that game is easily the best of it. I really wish they would have expanded on some of the late game ideas a little more. I really hope there's a Lucky's Tale 2. I swear the game looked better and better the more I played it. This could just be me getting used to the Rift. I think there was only one little piece of the game that made my stomach drop. If anyone is trying to collect all of the presents, you probably know which one caused a little bit of sickness. All in all, it was a delightful game, just a bit short.

Is there any story elements to this game (ala Banjo Kazooie or Mario 64)?

JambiBum

There is a VR games thread that I tried to get going to avoid issues like the ones you mentioned but no one really uses it. Saddens me that most of the VR threads are filled with negativity about shipping issues or what have you instead of actual impressions of games/experiences. Sure you might find a post every now and then (like yours) with impressions about something, but it would be great if people would use the VR games thread so that impressions could be found in one place instead of scouring the other threads.

StudioTan

I'm on the 4th or 5th world and I'm feeling this as well so far.

vermadas

Looking back, I can point out lots of things about Lucky's Tale that could have been better, especially if you try to compare it to the modern 3D Marios. However, I ended up having a lot of fun with it.

I didn't mind replaying levels. The speedrun variation of the levels were probably my favorite part of the game. They are actually quite challenging and I was never able to pull off a gold. I really liked how they would add floating enemies for you to chain jumps from in lieu of riding slow moving platforms or elevators.

Edit: All the positive impressions of The Climb swayed me into purchasing it. I've only done the easy climb on two environments but it's been pretty fantastic so far. It feels completely different than anything else I've ever played, and I love that about it.

Jack John

I do have a slight white line on the bottom corner left eye. I notice it on occasion when everything is black. I probably should be upset given the price but Im just enjoying it too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom