• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift Launch Thread: Ballpark 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaLe

What a coincidence. I'm working on this game.

Happy to post a few free copies here if you guys are interested.

I know the programmers/lead designers are busting their backs getting VR working on this thing.

Count me in for a copy if you're able to obtain some please :)

I'll return the favor in any way I can. Game looks great from the screens / trailer.

I know the programmers/lead designers are busting their backs getting VR working on this thing.

Goddamn, that's incredibly generous. I'd love to try a copy if given the opportunity.

First night I tried it I got simulation sickness from the first level of lucky's tale.

Couldn't play last night because the thought of putting it on was making my headache start again.

Going to try again tonight and hope things are better. :(

Also couldn't get SteamVR to recognize the rift. Kept giving an error (108 I believe) saying the headset was not available.

As a VR noob it was interesting. The coolest thing was looking at that alien during the setup. You can tell the tech is still early with the bad IQ and jaggies. Makes me worried for what PSVR will look like since it's on less powerful hardware.

I'm literally just lying in bed right now because I tried to play Super Mario Sunshine with Dolphin VR. I haven't been this nauseous since DK1.

Kevin

I wouldn't mind giving this a try if you have a spare key. :) Looks great!

Riptwo

The FPS genre has to change completely to work with VR. It's been designed around the limitations of screens for so long that making it realistic will only make people disappointed. In reality, running towards a waist-high obstacle to take cover from incoming fire, then popping up (slowly), taking aim and firing is exciting stuff. On a screen it would be boring and incredibly slow since you don't have to worry about inertia, can turn at the flick of a wrist, and don't have to worry about muscles and balance to, say, aim. So they just sped everything up and discarded every illusion of realism, and now that VR is here, we're paying the price.

We aren't likely to see anything that reminds us of traditional FPS games until we get VR interfaces that hook up directly to our brains.
I want to preface this by saying that I'm a huge VR supporter, and that I truly believe that it's the future of gaming (and VR is the industry that I'm trying to pivot my career into)...but I just don't think that current VR input methods are capable of creating a shooter that's as engaging as even the original Doom, and redesigning the genre around our current limitations seems like a bit of a waste. I can obviously only speak for myself, but I don't want to play endless short cover shooters where I have to warp around small square spaces in worlds where uneven terrain doesn't exist. I don't believe that VR experiences necessarily need to aim for realism over immersion, and I still hope that something like GVS will let us experience more "traditional" gaming experiences with the more unique benefits provided by tracked headsets and hand controllers.

When my DK1 arrived, it showed me that we were on the right track, but were still in the "figuring things out through tech demos" phase. Now that the CV1/Vive are out, I still feel largely the same way. We're closer than we were before, and the headsets and input methods are progressing nicely, but we still aren't quite there.

TheRed

I've been keeping my eye on that one, it looks nice. A free copy would be very generous. I don't have much money for games after buying the headsets lol.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Disable the offending driver

yeah I did, but Windows 10 is super nice and reinstalls drivers for you if hardware isn't working.

Disabling the hardware allowed me to kill the driver for good. I could probably just find and delete the driver file, but ultimately I'm not going to use those ports, so it's NBD

Looks like Hitman Go was just released on Oculus Home. Heard a lot of good things about that game, so I think I'll give it a go. (pun honestly not intended)

Enk

makes good threads.
Just got charged and got notified that my Rift is being readied for shipping! I had a May 16th - 26th estimated shipping date but I'm not sure what my order time was. Very much looking forward to diving back into a more polished VR experience. The DK1 and 2 were fun for me while they lasted, but they just had me craving a more finished, ironed out product.

I'd love to test this out as well. The environments in those screens look very nice! Plus as a big MST3K fan I couldn't help but like your name.

TheExodu5

Banned

I'd love to try it out. Looks gorgeous.

Disclaimer: I'm still running a GTX 680, so I could only report on how it performs given subpar hardware. That being said, I will get a 1080/1070 as soon as humanly possible.

Hell yes, Volo Airsport just got updated for the new Oculus and Rift runtimes.

The game is still crazy early, but I *cannot* *wait* to try this out in the rift. It was already fun as a proof-of-concept without a headset, the sensation of speed is going to be stupid fast with one.

Word of warning though, $13 is a bit high for what's currently in the game, and they are *very* slow to update.

Dartastic

I'm super close to cancelling my Rift preorder. I was thinking maybe I could take that money and put it towards a 1070, sell my 970, and use the 400 dollar difference towards a trip to Japan. I kinda feel like maybe I got caught up in the hype and I don't see much out there that really warrants a purchase of the hardware yet. Gahhhh.

Just played the first 14 levels of Hitman Go. It's an interesting game that I can see myself returning to, especially as there seems to be a ton of levels. It's not exactly the strongest of VR experiences, but it feels surprisingly suited for it. Sort of like playing a board game.

wonderpug

Neo Member
I'm super close to cancelling my Rift preorder. I was thinking maybe I could take that money and put it towards a 1070, sell my 970, and use the 400 dollar difference towards a trip to Japan. I kinda feel like maybe I got caught up in the hype and I don't see much out there that really warrants a purchase of the hardware yet. Gahhhh.

Even though I'm really happy with my Rift so far, I'd say a wait and see approach isn't a bad idea at all. Waiting means more content to choose from, lower prices on PC parts, motion controls from day 1, and an easier time knowing for sure if you really want a Rift instead of a Vive or PSVR.

If you're not that interested in VR right now, I'd say sell it and wait for sure. The GPU upgrade will be great for VR, and by the end of the year you'll have a more interesting decision to make. Oculus Touch could potentially close the gap between the Vive, and honestly I'd take the form factor and comfort of the Rift over the Vive for sure. If Touch can replicate roomscale without an absurd amount of cabling and tracking issues, then the only thing that will stop me from switching is the bullshit exclusivity Oculus seems attached to right now. Nothing should be HMD exclusive unless it utilizes hardware that Oculus literally doesn't have right now, and I drastically prefer Valve's take on this.

Also, there's absolutely nothing to play right now. Oculus has a better launch lineup, but once you finish Lucky's Tale and Chronos it's back to endless minigame collections and tech demo-esque $20 games.

AgeEighty

Woo, my order processed today! I was a :17:24 order, and my shipping window was May 16 - 26. They're really flying through the minutes now.

Weird part is, I was charged through PayPal, but I could swear I entered my credit card directly. Oh well.

I sort of get the move to ground shipping now. They are ahead *ahem* of their adjusted schedule so they'll still hit your window with ground. Makes sense even if it's annoying for people who are still waiting.

Dartastic

If you're not that interested in VR right now, I'd say sell it and wait for sure. The GPU upgrade will be great for VR, and by the end of the year you'll have a more interesting decision to make. Oculus Touch could potentially close the gap between the Vive, and honestly I'd take the form factor and comfort of the Rift over the Vive for sure. If Touch can replicate roomscale without an absurd amount of cabling and tracking issues, then the only thing that will stop me from switching is the bullshit exclusivity Oculus seems attached to right now. Nothing should be HMD exclusive unless it utilizes hardware that Oculus literally doesn't have right now, and I drastically prefer Valve's take on this.

Also, there's absolutely nothing to play right now. Oculus has a better launch lineup, but once you finish Lucky's Tale and Chronos it's back to endless minigame collections and tech demo-esque $20 games.
Thanks for the second opinion. I think that's the move I'm going to take. I'd rather take that extra money and go to Japan. Sounds smarter.

charpunk

When did it go on sale at BestBuy online? It used to say "coming soon" and now it says "Sold out online".

It hasn't for just the oculus. They aren't selling it online for awhile until the company can get more stock. The first batch was just in store only. It doesn't say coming soon anymore since the release date for best buy was last Saturday.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Glad to see more people are getting their Rifts soon :)

AgeEighty

Either they've ramped up to the Nth degree or the preorders tailed way off after 10 minutes past the hour (or some combination of both). People all over the map from quarter past to as late as 29 past are having orders processed today.

Wallach

Either they've ramped up to the Nth degree or the preorders tailed way off after 10 minutes past the hour (or some combination of both). People all over the map from 10 past to as late as 29 past are having orders processed today.

Sounds like some of both. From what I understand some of the EU production capacity was shifted to US. But yeah the majority of day 1 orders were people waiting at the time pre-orders went up for sure. That 5-7m section in particular was probably like a full quarter of their day 1 pre-orders or something due to the website going down.

AgeEighty

Sounds like some of both. From what I understand some of the EU production capacity was shifted to US. But yeah the majority of day 1 orders were people waiting at the time pre-orders went up for sure. That 5-7m section in particular was probably like a full quarter of their day 1 pre-orders or something due to the website going down.

Well, there were a bunch of us who were also waiting at the time preorders went up, but didn't get orders in until later thanks to Oculus' credit card glitch. I had my finger on the mouse from five minutes before the hour, but didn't get my order in successfully until 17 past.

Wallach

Well, there were a bunch of us who were also waiting at the time preorders went up, but didn't get orders in until later thanks to Oculus' credit card glitch. I had my finger on the mouse from five minutes before the hour, but didn't get my order in successfully until 17 past.

Yeah, that was me too (24 minutes after). But pretty much the entire world got bopped by the initial website crash, so the biggest glut of orders was at 5-7m since the website came back up ~5 minutes after the hour.

Yeah, me and two friends were trying at the same time. My friends got their orders in before 8:00am, mine was hit by the credit card glitch and I got it in after 20 minutes.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Amazing what a difference a few minutes and even seconds meant in terms of delivery. I got my order in 3 seconds after some people and had to wait an extra week.

Enordash

I kinda have to agree here. Those two kept me coming back to the Rift every single day. Nothing is pulling me in anymore.

How i feel about my Vive. I need something meatier to play. Insomniac has some good titles coming soon. One is releasing next month.

I'm pretty excited about this as well, despite my increasingly tempered enthusiasm for seated experiences.

I really hope Valve releases something in the next year or so. The Lab is such an incredible experience on it's own, let alone compared to the rest of the current VR content.

robotrock

Banned
How many times does UPS try to deliver?

Today was their first attempt but I wasn't there to sign for it, so now they're making me pick it up.

Enordash

How i feel about my Vive. I need something meatier to play. Insomniac has some good titles coming soon. One is releasing next month.

I'm thinking that my Rift will chill out until Edge of Nowhere (the one next month). This is pretty OK though with the other games that have released recently. I don't want VR to monopolize my gaming time anyway.

Enk

makes good threads.
Jumped into the Oculus Store to download a few things for my Rift next week and noticed that Square Enix just put up Hitman Go VR on there.

spannicus

I'm thinking that my Rift will chill out until Edge of Nowhere (the one next month). This is pretty OK though with the other games that have released recently. I don't want VR to monopolize my gaming time anyway.
Feel the same way. Still have to finish Quantum break, Tomb Raider, etc backlog is too big right now. Adding Vr is only making it worse.

Wallach

I'm gonna play the shiiiiiiit out of pCARS and Elite pretty much. What I've been planning for months. There is some other stuff along the way I will fuck with like Pinball FX 2, BlazeRush, Chronos, etc. But for the most part I bought a CV1 to be a driving & now flight thing. Everything else along the way this generation is going to be a bonus.

Zaptruder

Banned
Hi all,

Ready to reveal my paper on VR locomotion.

The system is called: Controller Assisted On the Spot movement (or CAOTS for short).

You can download it here.

https://mega.nz/#!08BBUDLA!OZtIYs45ww43Zg7j0L3lLMJVQup4QwUFNb18LwNhPLk

The paper includes a reasonably thorough primer on the state of VR locomotion, why it's important, and how this solution solves for a lot of the problems of VR within the practical constraints of current day VR tech.

The basic synopsis of CAOTS is that the user uses a tracked motion controller to provide the movement directionality and intent of movement, but not the actual velocity of movement itself, which is instead inferred by the head bounce motion of the user’s head mounted display as the user walks, jogs or runs on the spot.

VR Locomotion is an issue that has the potential to effect the trajectory of VR adoption and thus society as a whole. An intuitive and immersive locomotion method that works well within the necessary limitations of the systems will help to drive forward the range of possible VR experiences. At this stage, the VR industry as a whole has not settled on such a solution, but a keen and considered implementation of Controller Assisted On the Spot (CAOTS) movement that pairs well with room scale movement will go a long way towards enabling that desirable locomotion standard for a majority of all VR experiences. This in turn allows users to switch between many VR experiences without having to guess at or relearn basic traversal and navigation concepts.
In summary, with CAOTS, we have access to a VR locomotion method that
• Can use standard existing room scale VR hardware
• Allows for unlimited traversal within the virtual environment (VE)
• Synergizes with room scale movement
• Provides proprioceptive and vestibular cues that approximate actual movement and is therefore more immersive
• Provides a natural sense of movement through VEs
• Allows for more intuitive changes to the rate of movement.
• Requires minimal training (a few minutes to get used to it).
• Enhances the sense of scale of VEs, by getting users to actually use their bodies to traverse VE space.
• Provides users with a fitness and health positive traversal solution
• Helps mitigate and minimize motion sickness.
• Decouples the direction of motion from the direction of the head and allows users to easily look around in the VE without disrupting the direction of travel.
• Is compatible with a wide range of play space sizes.
This solution does not provide the user with a perfect 1:1 visual motion to vestibular motion relationship. But it does allow for users to engage that room scale mode to the extent that it is physically possible, while affording a compromise to VR locomotion that is likely going to be as good as it gets. This is especially true when taking into account the necessary constraints of mainstream consumer usage of VR – which include consideration for cost, complexity, extra peripherals/components/ accessories as well as the physical limitations of the play space that most people will be able to use their VR systems in.

There's actually a demo of it that you can try made by Ryan Sullivan/Deprecated Coder called RIPMotion.

http://smirkingcat.software/ripmotion/

Worth noting that it's not a direct implementation of CAOTS as described in the paper - but the key principles are there - directionality indicated by controller heading, and intentionality signaled by the user. It can be held in hand (I'd suggest is a better solution than putting it in your belt for a number of reasons, among which is, not everyone is wearing the appropriate attire), uses head bounce for velocity measurement, not arm swing. I'd also suggest turning on beginner to advanced chaperone boundaries if you haven't already, because you will drift as you run in place, and having the bounds pop up as you drift helps you recenter very easily.

Also, the implementation is rough around its edges - especially in terms of the stride length. The ideal is to get it so that it feels like your body motion is directly responsible for the motion - the paper suggests a detailed movement scaling system that provides this feedback.

Nonetheless, it's a great demo of the principles discussed in the paper and you should give it a shot if you haven't already (and if you have, try it again with the minor modifications that I suggest - holding it in hand, while taking note of things like scale, vection, the ability to look around, moving around in room space and larger VE space, etc).

I've talked with deprecatedcoder and apparently he's made some modifications and will be releasing a demo soon - so looking forward to seeing that.

Seiru

Banned
So I tried Elite Dangerous for the first time with my hotas. All I did was undock from the starting station, fly to the next closest station, and dock again.

It was fucking nuts. Coolest thing I've experienced yet. The game is confusing as hell to me as a new ED player, but man. I can't wait to get back into it.

Best part was some guy was loitering I guess at the station I was docking at, and station security lit him the fuck up. I had my head craned up to see what was happening, it was really cool.

Zaptruder you're number 1 on the first Climb mountain I see. Tried to do a race but kept falling off! Is it me or is the game a little grindey? Played through the first course three times now and I'm still a level 3.

Good mechanics though. It feels really satisfying, I'm not entirely sure how they'll do this with motion controllers (contrary to intuition)

Zaptruder you're number 1 on the first Climb mountain I see. Tried to do a race but kept falling off! Is it me or is the game a little grindey? Played through the first course three times now and I'm still a level 3.

Why are you playing that course over and over again? Just do the advanced tutorial and get the other courses right away. I'm rank 8 or so, and I haven't repeated a single course.

Zaptruder

Banned

Good mechanics though. It feels really satisfying, I'm not entirely sure how they'll do this with motion controllers (contrary to intuition)

Mmmm... it didn't feel that grindy to me, but I can see how you'd feel that way. The climbs are all fairly enjoyable, and mastering them is fun. If you're not pulled along by the inherent fun of the activity and just want the loot/stars, then yeah, it'll get a bit grindy.

But there's a lot of ways to cut down on time, including going for larger hand holds. Also gotta go for those bonus objectives! (which I have no idea how to do on medium if I'm to be honest... I think they need to redesign that bonus objective...)

Can someone please tell me if I need to disable my onboard USB on mobo to get the Inateck Superspeed 7 Ports PCI-E to USB 3.0 Expansion Card to work with oculus rift?

JambiBum

The two biggest games I go back to constantly are BlazeRush and Elite right now. I also like doing stuff in Big Screen and I feel like it's one of the better experiences out there right now. The biggest problem with most games is that they don't have a lot of replayability. BlazeRush and Elite are both great because they never really end, but things like Chronos and Lucky's Tale are linear experiences that don't really have much of a point to go back to. This isn't exclusive to VR games of course, but when the current library of games is as small as it is, not having games with replayability hurts. With traditional games you have such a huge library to choose from that playing linear games doesn't matter as much because you can just move onto the next thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom