• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift shipments delayed by a month or more due to unexpected component shortage

I really can't believe it would be the controller.

Why not? Given the shipping pattern and what we know about the distribution facilities, it's not like they could be doing major modifications or installations once these units arrive for shipment. It would have to be something relatively simple to insert into the box or replace that doesn't require a trained technician.

tenchir

Why not? Given the shipping pattern and what we know about the distribution facilities, it's not like they could be doing major modifications or installations once these units arrive for shipment. It would have to be something relatively simple to insert into the box or replace that doesn't require a trained technician.

It's likely not the controller or receiver. These two component have been in production for a long time before Oculus started producing the CV1, so they would have stocked inventory in advance when Oculus gives them a number months in advance. The only way if controller/receiver would be the problem is if Oculus ordered 10s or 100s of thousands of them within weeks of shipping out the oculus. MS is not going to hire a lot of people to temporary ramp up production.

The kickstarter edition aren't all shipped out either and there's only like 6000 of them, I doubt the controller/receiver would be the culprit for this if they can't even cover this small amount.

It's likely not the controller or receiver. These two component have been in production for a long time before Oculus started producing the CV1, so they would have stocked inventory in advance when Oculus gives them a number months in advance. The only way if controller/receiver would be the problem is if Oculus ordered 10s or 100s of thousands of them within weeks of shipping out the oculus. MS is not going to hire a lot of people to temporary ramp up production.

The kickstarter edition aren't all shipped out either and there's only like 6000 of them, I doubt the controller/receiver would be the culprit for this.

Lots of holes in your logic. The Kickstarter editions are being shipped concurrently with the regular orders, not ahead of them. The Reddit link someone shared explains how the controllers could have been the problem. Simply put, Microsoft botched the order (i.e. there was some kind of communication breakdown between Microsoft and Oculus) and by the time delivery rolled around and the mistake was realized, it was too late for Microsoft to source enough to fulfill the order. It makes sense from my perspective because nobody at Oculus would have suspected that Microsoft wouldn't deliver on something that is readily available from most retailers, but if the purported pre-order quantity was correct (300K pre-ordered Oculus units), that could have been a very major problem and not one that could be quickly corrected.

tenchir

Lots of holes in your logic. The Kickstarter editions are being shipped concurrently with the regular orders, not ahead of them. The Reddit link someone shared explains how the controllers could have been the problem. Simply put, Microsoft botched the order (i.e. there was some kind of communication breakdown between Microsoft and Oculus) and by the time delivery rolled around and the mistake was realized, it was too late for Microsoft to source enough to fulfill the order. It makes sense from my perspective because nobody at Oculus would have suspected that Microsoft wouldn't deliver on something that is readily available from most retailers, but if the purported pre-order quantity was correct (300K pre-ordered Oculus units), that could have been a very major problem and not one that could be quickly corrected.

I'm just not convince. HMD with 100s customized components Vs. MS/Oculus botched controller orders.

I'm just not convince. HMD with 100s customized components Vs. MS/Oculus botched controller orders.

One of those would result in delays of months not weeks.

One of those Oculus would have known in advance.

Cables and the controller are realistically the only components in which Oculus would not have known in advance.

tenchir

One of those would result in delays of months not weeks.

One of those Oculus would have known in advance.

That would depend on when they know in advance, they don't put it together themselves. They would hire a manufacturer to do it for them and who would be in charge of the logistics of getting all the parts. Does the parts gets shipped to oculus who ships it to the manufacturer? Or is shipped to the manufacturer straight from the suppliers? How are inventories recorded?

I used to work for an electronics manufacturer, so I have an idea of what could have happened. Some of our clients would give us a list of parts to order and we bill them, other would supply the parts themselves. There are a lot of times where the PCB boards would be in limbo on the production floor because we ran out of components to finish them. It could be bad inventory recording(us or/and them) or that we have several other boards that uses the same components from the same client that we producing simultaneously.

Surface mount components are easy source unless the client for some reason requires the use of old components that aren't produced anymore. Custom parts are pretty much out of our control.

edit: To be fair, my old employer only produced from a few dozen to a few hundred boards for our clients. We do have a lot of clients and produced hundreds of different kinds of boards.

edit2: Controller/receiver rumor is officially called fake by an oculus rep.
https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/com...at_went_wrong_with_the_launch_insider/d20kary

MaulerX

I initially thought it might have been the wireless dongle but I doubt it. After checking, the dongle is in stock and readily available at every single retailer imaginable. Same with the controller. I'm convinced it has something to do with the Rift itself.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
I initially thought it might have been the wireless dongle but I doubt it. After checking, the dongle is in stock and readily available at every single retailer imaginable. Same with the controller. I'm convinced it has something to do with the Rift itself.

Oculus isn't willing to pay retail for the dongle and controller. They are aiming to procure in large quantities for a price break. Amazon and the likes don't do that so they are ineffective sources of supply for those seeking to make profit.

MaulerX

Oculus isn't willing to pay retail for the dongle and controller. They are aiming to procure in large quantities for a price break. Amazon and the likes don't do that so they are ineffective sources of supply for those seeking to make profit.

No but it's a sign that MS isn't having a hard time producing them. Besides, didn't they already said it wasn't that?

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Waiting for parody CEO Kaz Hirai to weigh in on the whole thing. Comedy of errors on both sides. Sorry to hear people's units are delayed.

The April fool's lens theory sounded plausible enough. Must be something similar, anyway. Doesn't really matter what I suppose.

artsi

The learning curve for these VR companies that aren't also hardware companies is going to be rough.

On the other hand, hardware companies like HTC could learn to do support and RMA's properly, that side seems to be working with Oculus.

(waiting for my Vive and praying that there's nothing wrong with it)

Jimrpg

I imagine there would be subcontractors upon subscontractors supplying materials and components to the manufacturer (Foxconn?). Oculus' expectation was probably just too high, and suppliers over promised things to get the contract and there probably weren't enough penalties in place in the right place to get things done on time. I bet Apple have some pretty tight demands on Foxconn making adequate numbers of their iphone.

People who are mad at Oculus have every right, but there's probably not a thing Oculus can do, because the manufacturer probably has the same problem with his supplier who has a problem with somebody else down the line and so on and so forth. If anybody watched that BBC documentary on child miners for Apple products, you'd know that there's a miner who digs material out of the ground for 16 hours a day, who sells the materials on to a local factory for sorting, who sells it onto a manufacturer for the component, who has special distributors of whom only they can sell their parts, who then onsell to the actual manufacturer. That's at least 4 or 5 subcontractors (possibly more in the supply line). And in any one of these supply lines, if the business conditions are not favourable for them, they will literally stop production and do something else. What I mean by that is, say the price of steel jumps 10%, (i work in construction), they'll stop production of any steel products until it becomes a favourable business proposition again. Oculus and the manufacturer could jump up and down until they're blue in the face, but money is the only thing that drives them. They'll promise more sure, but its just to get people off their back. In the end its Oculus that should learn to under promise and over deliver. Anyways maybe I have no idea what I'm talking about, but that's how I imagine what's happening. And if you're frustrated you haven't got your Oculus, just cancel. Money talks.

Got an email yesterday saying my new shipment window was first half of May, but just got an email from Oculus Ireland this morning saying it is being processed.

Anyone else?

Seems like the new estimates might have been playing it very safe.

nakedeyes

Banned
Yeah, I wound up going April -> late May too.

Wound up cancelling. I'm just trying to fuckin' drive cars in the virtuals and the universe is conspiring against me right now.
!! Sounds like you are conspiring against yourself if you cancelled your order !! I understand being super bummed of course, but personally I would wait it out! Hope something works out soon.

mitchman

Gold Member
Got an email yesterday saying my new shipment window was first half of May, but just got an email from Oculus Ireland this morning saying it is being processed.

Anyone else?

Seems like the new estimates might have been playing it very safe.

Ooh, I got a shipping window of May 5th to 12th, also located in Europe. No mail yet, but I'm hopeful. Too bad i go away on a vacation next week :-|

Top Bottom