• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ODDWORLD: NEW 'N' TASTY |OT| Save 99 Mudokons as The Stitch-Lipped One. Follow me!

El-Suave

Bought with my Vita via Remote Play. Now it's downloading for me to play it when I go upstairs tonight. So convenient, when it all works.

Inspectorg

Neo Member
Gotta say this impressed me too. It's $31.95 on the Australian store, so pretty much exactly a 1:1 conversion with the US version. I don't think I've ever seen this happen on the PSN or, well... anything gaming or media related before here in Australia haha.

Will definitely buy once the Vita version is out.

Absolutely amazing. Well done, I'm so impressed. It's currently downloading right now for me. I have to say knowing how you guys are treating your fans was actually the extra incentive for me to buy right now rather than wait for price drops or something.

Stewart, appreciate the great conversion of price, and your communication here :) normally we get screwed in Aus (and eu in general but can only speak for aus ATM) happy to support you guys. Let us know when exoddus is possible and I'll drop money on it as soon as it releases (or preorder if possible in Eu)!

Yeah I know its crossbuy for me personally cross buy isn't something I make use of even though I have all the Sony machines i stick to the one machine its good it has it I'd never put something down that has in any way just I don't make use of the feature myself.

As for the price I know its been completely overhauled and its just an HD remake or remaster and I don't mean any disrespect, just the price for me is too high maybe because I had a price I was expecting in my head I'm not sure but 17.99 seems like to much.

May I ask BTW why no plus discount? I know there's some dlc but why no discount?

I gotta respect your opinion, and this next bit isn't about you, I get annoyed however when there's a retail title for sale digitally and it's the same price as the retail version IE £49.99 + yet it only has 5hrs of gameplay.

We're confident first timers will be 8hrs + on this, or totally brand new people 15hrs +

It seems like a strange economy really.

As to why no PS+ Discount, and this is my PERSONAL opinion, I guess it's a perception thing, we now live in a society where people expect to pay as little as possible for something, E.G. Look at Steam, when there isn't a sale on then sales figures are quite low, because people KNOW there's going to be a sale so hold out.

We spent 30 months making NnT and you know $2m+ too, we're an indie we don't have millions and millions in the bank, we don't have an amazingly wealthy benefactor hiding away somewhere, we spent the revenue from previous titles on the new title, so we need to make that money back to be able to make the NEXT game or we're out of work.

So by giving a discount, and having people expect that, it feels like at times that they under value our work.

As I said, this is my personal opinion on this sort of stuff, would be interested in hearing a good counter if you have one.

I guess it's a perception thing, we now live in a society where people expect to pay as little as possible for something

This is so true. Ive done videos on games before that are really high budget affairs and people ask me "is this free?" Because that's what they're used to seeing on youtube these days

Though I haven't tried it today, yesterday I couldn't get the pre-order dlc to download. I kept getting an error message. The outfit downloaded but not the other gameplay content. Anyone else?

I'm pretty sure it's because it's not actually out yet. I think when they announced it they said it would be available shortly after release.

I was one of those who thought 20 was a bit much, but cross-buy makes it much better to think about buying because you get 2 versions for 10 dollars (at least that is how I am letting my mind think).
Wish I could have played it yesterday, but it took 5 hours to download. Hoping to play it a bit tonight.

Edit: Just because some retail games are short means nothing to pricing. It is natural to expect PSN games to be at most 15.

KeRaSh

I gotta respect your opinion, and this next bit isn't about you, I get annoyed however when there's a retail title for sale digitally and it's the same price as the retail version IE £49.99 + yet it only has 5hrs of gameplay.

We're confident first timers will be 8hrs + on this, or totally brand new people 15hrs +

As to why no PS+ Discount, and this is my PERSONAL opinion, I guess it's a perception thing, we now live in a society where people expect to pay as little as possible for something, E.G. Look at Steam, when there isn't a sale on then sales figures are quite low, because people KNOW there's going to be a sale so hold out.

We spent 30 months making NnT and you know $2m+ too, we're an indie we don't have millions and millions in the bank, we don't have an amazingly wealthy benefactor hiding away somewhere, we spent the revenue from previous titles on the new title, so we need to make that money back to be able to make the NEXT game or we're out of work.

So by giving a discount, and having people expect that, it feels like at times that they under value our work.

As I said, this is my personal opinion on this sort of stuff, would be interested in hearing a good counter if you have one.

Well said. I'll be grabbing the game next week when I get paid. Some unforseen bills popped up so I'll have to be a little patient. I've had the store page open on my computer at work ever since it appeared in the EU store... I'm teasing myself... ;_;

I really hope you guys hit your goals. I'm hungry for more Oddworld!

Gangxxter

It is natural to expect PSN games to be at most 15.
And this attitude has to change. Plenty of games are released digital-only on PC at a higher price than New'n'Tasty and nobody is complaining.
Again, just because it's a download-only title doesn't mean it has to be cheap.

Stuart444

A little issue with the subtitles: They aren't timed great, many times the subs either start too late or finish too early (based on the op cutscene).

I sometimes like to have subs on just in case but turned them off due to this. They are also a little low on the screen. Like right above the bottom part of my TV (very bottom of the picture). Subs are ideally placed a few degrees upwards so you can easier see what's going on in the game and read what is said on the text.

Not a big issue for me mind since I turned the subs off after this and can deal without but might be an issue for deaf folks.

That said, half way through the first level and loving this. Though in the first secret area, I couldn't run through the fast moving saw thing without dying unlike in the old PS1 version where I could. Playing on Normal (I'll do hard for my second play through :p ) Is it meant to be like that now?

I was luckily able to get every other Mudokon down to the very bottom platform then changed the electricity back on (slowing down the fast moving saw) and got the Mudokon behind it to follow me. Thankfully they now run a little through the saws stuff so if you time it right, they won't get killed.
(spoiling this just incase since it could be considered a puzzle that others may prefer to solve themselves :p )

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
The only other Oddworld game ive finished is Munchs Oddyssey and I loved it. This seems to have the same great strategic puzzle solving gameplay. I'm in love.

You should definitely check out the rest of the series, if you haven't already. Stranger's Wrath, in particular.

Abe's Oddysee is a special game for me. I playing it (might have been a demo) at a friend's house when I was 10 (1998). I became obsessed. I needed the game. My family wasn't well off, though. At that time, I was still rocking the hand-me-down NES and Game Gear. Getting a Playstation took months of doing whatever odd job I could find that would net me some cash. I would walk to my grandmother's house and beg for chores. I saved my lunch money. I sold NES games. I needed a Playstation.

When I finally had enough money saved up, I got my mom to hit up Ebay and find a deal for me. She found something decent, I gave her my cash, and she sent them a check. The next day, I spent the rest of my savings on two games: Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee and Spyro the Dragon. Over the next few days, I read every page of those manuals at least 3 times over. I took the cases to school, so I could stare at the screenshots on the back during lunch. Time crawled by as I waited for my Playstation arrived. I hardly slept. Every day felt like an eternity. I was so close to playing Oddworld.

Turns out we had been scammed on Ebay. This was back when it was still pretty young, and more risky. I was devastated. Cried my eyes out. It wasn't like my mom could just go out and buy an expensive toy for me, though. We weren't rich. She couldn't comfortably throw around money like that. So I went back to waiting, and reading the manuals for the two games I felt like I'd never get to play.

A few days passed by. I was miserable. Mad about being scammed, and sad that I had these two amazing games that I could do nothing with. I moped. I cried. Shit sucked. Things changed, though. On a Friday, I got a note from the office saying that I would be picked up a few minutes before school actually let out. Usually I rode the bus, so this was strange. Turns out my mom was coming by to get me. She said she had a surprise in the car for me.

A fucking Playstation. Somehow, she had worked it out and got me a brand new PSX. To this day, I can't believe it. I didn't expect gifts this expensive for Christmas or birthdays, and to get it on a random Friday just melted my brain. I was freaking out. Take the kid from that N64 Christmas vid and put him in some OshKosh B'Gosh overalls. That was my reaction. I only left the TV to eat, sleep, and pee that weekend. After an excruciatingly long wait, I was finally able to play Oddworld (Spyro was fine, too). All that time spent staring at pictures of the game. Dreaming about it. Crying over it. I was actually able to play it. As lame as it may sound, it was one of the happiest moments of my childhood.

That's why I'm so excited for this release. Cheesy as it is, Oddworld is more than just a game for me. Honestly, it was part of growing up for me. It's the first thing I worked and saved for. It's the game that really made me fall in love with the hobby. It's also one of the nicest things my mom has ever done for me. Abe's Oddysee is a big deal.

Sorry if this is poorly formatted or has any spelling errors. I'm posting from my phone, and didn't expect to ramble like this.

Gurish

I love this game and I think it's worth every penny, but for people unfamiliar with this enormous franchise it may seems a little expensive compared to other indie titles, especially if they don't care about cross buy (I for example don't see c-buy as a factor, I only care about the best version- PS4), maybe you could give another option for non cross buy players if it inflates the price?

Anyway i know this franchise and played the original so I bought this remake without hesitation and i think it's easily worth the asking price, but maybe for people who don't know what this game is about and are comparing it to prices of other (inferior) indie titles that they are not familiar with as well, it may seem a little expensive.

Their loss if you ask me and i really wish you a great success with this game- it's amazing!

You should definitely check out the rest of the series, if you haven't already. Stranger's Wrath, in particular.
I have to agree considering Munch's is the weakest in the series. Stranger's Wrath is my favorite. I have mixed feeling on the Abe games (really liked 2, did not care much for 1).

Yasawas

I'm going to buy this blind based on you all wanking over it and it better be great. I'm not sure how I've never played it, I don't think any of my friends owned any of them back at the time although I was aware they existed and did buy too many PS1 games as it was.

Saiyan-Rox

Oh of course the fact digital titles are the same price and sometimes more than retail is stupid (looking at Activision here) goes in hand to hand with stupid conversion rates that make no sense. with steam I kinda expect that outcome for PC in general people will look for keys cheaper elsewhere that can be used one steam thus undercutting steam or as you said wait for the steam sales winter,summer etc. the plus question was just curiosity really Sony tend to get plus discounts on titles that realise first on the consoles so was just wondering why was all in this case.

I totally see where you're coming from on the aspect you're a company to make money and give people a product for that money that people enjoy I guess in this case the fact that I never played the full original and i had a price point in my head made me doubt the price and I honestly didn't mean to offend or anything you or the people who made it I'll watch some streams of the game and make my choice after that

Autofokus

That's why I'm so excited for this release. Cheesy as it is, Oddworld is more than just a game for me. Honestly, it was part of growing up for me. It's the first thing I worked and saved for. It's the game that really made me fall in love with the hobby. It's also one of the nicest things my mom has ever done for me. Abe's Oddysee is a big deal.

Now close the circle and buy yourself a PS4. ;)

Yeah you will do. If you pre-ordered it or purchase the game within the first 2 weeks of release, you'll get the Alf's DLC.

Thanks for the response.

I'm all in! This was one of the first titles I got for Playstation back in the day, and I remember it being brilliant.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Now close the circle and buy yourself a PS4. ;)
It's really tempting. I cant, though. 2 year anniversary is coming up this weekend, and I just spent $300 on a Wii U for my girl. I can't justify dipping into my savings for a PS4 when I already have a nice PC.

I'll probably get one in 2015 at some point.

bumpkin

Bought with my Vita via Remote Play. Now it's downloading for me to play it when I go upstairs tonight. So convenient, when it all works.
Have you started playing the game yet via Remote Play? I tried to last night and it seemed like there were only two "buttons" mapped to the back touch pad, neither of which was L2 or R2; basically rendering the entire secondary GameSpeak phrases unusable. :(

PaulloDEC

Bought and downloading. $32 AUD seems like a fair price for a mid-tier game IMO, especially one with a pedigree like Oddworld.

Looking forward to getting stuck in by tomorrow evening!

I also thought it was a bit steep, but been as though you put it like that..

Bought.

Stuart444

BtO9E-nIEAIPIc9.jpg:large

Is the trap door here meant to be a secret area? If so, how do you get into it since it keeps closing when I run off the ledge to get to it?

I have one more secret area/8 more mudokons to find and can't see any more trap doors/shafts/doors I can jump to so this is the only place I can think of now.

Have you started playing the game yet via Remote Play? I tried to last night and it seemed like there were only two "buttons" mapped to the back touch pad, neither of which was L2 or R2; basically rendering the entire secondary GameSpeak phrases unusable. :(

Actually, L2 and R2 are on the touch screen, top left / top right respectively :)

Oh of course the fact digital titles are the same price and sometimes more than retail is stupid (looking at Activision here) goes in hand to hand with stupid conversion rates that make no sense. with steam I kinda expect that outcome for PC in general people will look for keys cheaper elsewhere that can be used one steam thus undercutting steam or as you said wait for the steam sales winter,summer etc. the plus question was just curiosity really Sony tend to get plus discounts on titles that realise first on the consoles so was just wondering why was all in this case.

I totally see where you're coming from on the aspect you're a company to make money and give people a product for that money that people enjoy I guess in this case the fact that I never played the full original and i had a price point in my head made me doubt the price and I honestly didn't mean to offend or anything you or the people who made it I'll watch some streams of the game and make my choice after that

I can't ask anything more than that. If the game is something you like, or would enjoy playing then I hope you make the right decision ;-)

If it's not, then I'm not going expect you to buy something you wouldn't enjoy. :)

I also thought it was a bit steep, but been as though you put it like that..

Bought.

Thank you :)

Saiyan-Rox

I can't ask anything more than that. If the game is something you like, or would enjoy playing then I hope you make the right decision ;-)

If it's not, then I'm not going expect you to buy something you wouldn't enjoy. :)

Thank you :)

again I am sorry if I offended in any way it wasn't my intention to do so. the fact you're taking the time to talk to the fanbase rather than hide makes you guys stand out

again I am sorry if I offended in any way it wasn't my intention to do so. the fact you're taking the time to talk to the fanbase rather than hide makes you guys stand out

I met Tyler (you know the owner of GAF) at E3 last year, he gave me a nice compliment, and that was that I do exactly what you said, I engage.

It started in Jan 2010, when we RIGHTLY had our asses ripped a new one for the PC version of Stranger's Wrath, GAF hated us, but I persisted with it, and I think 4.5 years later, I think GAF user appreciate that I do hang out here and I do stick by what I say and what we try to do.

I believe in fixing things, I believe in getting it right, if people have a problem with something we've done I like to fix it, so by sitting in this thread reply to you guys and NOT hiding away, that helps you guys take us seriously, and it stops you guys turning into an angry mob :)

And no, you have not offended me in the slightest :)

Yes, but I'm not talking about it... yet ;-)

IT'S NOT NEWS IF
YOU DIDN'T SAY ANYTHING
DAMNIT

Really enjoying this game. I don't remember having this much fun as a kid, but then again, I was a stupid kid who contained not an ounce of patience, so maybe that's why.

And this Kill All run is bretty fun.

If any of you guys kill any Mudokons we can no longer be friends

It's now my current fetish. Deal with it. Even Abe agrees with feigned indifference. "Ooops" my ass, Abe, you know you don't give a shit.

mattp

I was one of those who thought 20 was a bit much, but cross-buy makes it much better to think about buying because you get 2 versions for 10 dollars (at least that is how I am letting my mind think).
Wish I could have played it yesterday, but it took 5 hours to download. Hoping to play it a bit tonight.

Edit: Just because some retail games are short means nothing to pricing. It is natural to expect PSN games to be at most 15.

the game is 30 dollars

LAA

It's now my current fetish. Deal with it. Even Abe agrees with feigned indifference. "Ooops" my ass, Abe, you know you don't give a shit.

This made me laugh, ha ha!

I fear I may too kill some... (only for the trophy) trying to save them all atm though

Just got to the
temple

Love love love the game, however I do have a couple of nitpicks. The first is as the bomb timing being very difficult, although that could be a function of me playing on hard. Maybe it's more forgiving on other difficulties. The second is that the default audio mix is such that it's really hard to hear Abe's dialogue. I ratcheted the sound effects to 25% and the music to 50%, with voice at 100%, which helps a lot but I don't think the average user is going to do that and I hate the idea of people not getting to hear his story.

I had the same experience with the audio. I only played a few minutes before heading to bed last night, but I'll have to change the levels in-game too.

Top Bottom