• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2011 MLB Thread v.2: The Mets are terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
Thome just always struck me as a real man which is why I think he relates to many fans from all the teams. You have all the powdered nose physical specimens all around the league now, and here is one guy who is just a brute of a man with limited tool set who dedicated his career to just crushing the cover off a ball.
And you know his celebration will just be eating an extra serving of bacon with breakfast tomorrow.

What a bunch of a-holes wearing Yankees gear at the K tonight. The vast majority of them live here, and are somehow also fans of the Red Sox.

Now to see if Bubba Starling, the local phenom from the high school down the street turned Royals 2011 first round draft pick will actually sign with the Royals or go play football for Nebraska. They'll announce it within the next thirty minutes.

EDIT: Cool, we got him.

jakncoke

Banned
Holy shit no way this guy better not be playing with my heart

SI_JonHeyman Jon Heyman
josh bell signs with #pirates

Edit: Cole getting 8 million according to that dude.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Beede and Jungmann are the two first round picks that didn't sign yet or word not released as of yet.

Edit: KLaw tweets that Jungmann did sign, so that leaves just Beede.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
nytimes - An R.B.I. Leader said:
Philadelphia Phillies first baseman Ryan Howard is once again at the top of the National League with the most runs batted in with 95. Since 2006, Howard has driven in 775 runs, 93 more than the closest player, Albert Pujols.

There’s no doubt that Howard’s at-bats lead to a lot of runs for the Phillies, but how much does this tell us about Howard and how much does this tell us about his teammates?

One goal of sabermetrics is to separate the effects of teammates from our evaluation of a player’s performance. Based on sabermetric stats, Howard does not appear to be the elite hitter that his R.B.I. totals imply. One quick (and mostly accurate) evaluation of offensive ability is O.P.S. (on-base percentage plus slugging percentage), which combines a player’s ability to get on base (score runs) with his ability to move runners around the bases with power (drive in runs).

Among N.L. batters who have qualified for the batting title entering the weekend, Howard’s .831 O.P.S. was just 23rd in the league. Among N.L. first basemen, he ranked seventh, below average for the 12 qualifying players.

In fact, if we look at a wide array of sabermetric measures, Howard never cracks the top 10 and is typically well down in the pack. And this is just considering hitting. If we combine hitting, defense and base running, WAR (wins above replacement) rated him as the seventh-best player on the Phillies this year.

Entering the weekend, Howard’s on-base percentage was seventh best and his slugging percentage was sixth best among the 10 most common cleanup hitters in the majors. Howard has significantly more outs made than his counterparts because of his low on-base percentage and because he is consistently in the lineup.

To answer why Howard has so many R.B.I., we need to dig a little deeper and consider the context of his at-bats.

Howard benefits significantly from the quality of the hitters ahead of him in the batting order. Chase Utley, Shane Victorino and, to a lesser extent, Jimmy Rollins and Placido Polanco all have strong on-base percentages. Through Wednesday, the Phillies’ 1-3 hitters reached base 547 times, the eighth most in the majors. But as a group, they ranked 17th in extra-base hits, so they get on base but leave more runners for Howard to drive in.

By comparison, the Boston Red Sox’ No. 1 through No. 3 hitters were first in reaching base, but are better at driving themselves in by ranking second in extra-base hits. Boston’s No. 3 hitter, Adrian Gonzalez, the American League R.B.I. leader for much of the season, is the only player to have more runners on base than Howard this season.

This is not just a recent phenomenon. Since 2006, Howard had 2,815 runners on base, well ahead of the runner-up, Mark Teixeira, with 2,689.

Howard is good at what he does. When a runner is on base, he can bring him home, but the problem with R.B.I. is that they give too much of the credit to the hitter and not enough to the player driven in.

While Howard is not yet getting consistent M.V.P. buzz this season, his four consecutive top-five finishes bring to mind a similar player from the late 1990s who had a strong run of M.V.P. voting: Rangers outfielder Juan Gonzalez. He drove in 140 runs a year from 1996 to 1999 and grabbed the 1996 and 1998 M.V.P. awards despite not finishing in the top 10 in WAR either year. After joining Detroit in 2000, Gonzalez slumped to 67 R.B.I., in part because of Comerica Park’s expansive outfield and the Tigers’ mediocre lineup.

https://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/14/sports/baseball/an-rbi-leader-but-not-an-elite-hitter.html
darkside31337 said:
Justin Upton will be your NL MVP. There really is no argument as of right now.
well if you use the notion that players only on winning teams can win the MVP. Justin Upton, Troy Tulowitski, Shane Victorino, Matt Kemp, Jose Reyes and Andrew McCutchen are all within 0.5 points of fWAR of each other. And then there is rWAR where Kemp is destroying everyone else. I think they all have a valid case.

Windu said:
well if you use the notion that players only on winning teams can win the MVP. Justin Upton, Troy Tulowitski, Shane Victorino, Matt Kemp, Jose Reyes and Andrew McCutchen are all within 0.5 points of fWAR of each other. And then there is rWAR where Kemp is destroying everyone else. I think they all have a valid case.
I think howard will be the mvp this year. Most rbis and top 2 or 3 in hrs on the team with the best record in baseball.

Sanjuro

yankeehater said:
I think howard will be the mvp this year. Most rbis and top 2 or 3 in hrs on the team with the best record in baseball.
cp5Fh.jpg

Sharp

I don't understand how even the most delusional Phillies fan could believe Howard was MVP when all three of Halladay, Hamels and Lee have clearly without a doubt contributed more to the team. Even if you believe in bullshit like RBIs as a descriptive statistic.

Sharp said:
I don't understand how even the most delusional Phillies fan could believe Howard was MVP when all three of Halladay, Hamels and Lee have clearly without a doubt contributed more to the team. Even if you believe in bullshit like RBIs as a descriptive statistic.

Did you read the article he posted. Juan gone won 2 mvps just based on his rbi production. They are not going to give it to a pitcher, and howard is the only phillie position player with a chance. If they runaway with the nl I think he will get it in large part because none of the other playoff teams have guys putting up way better numbers.

yankeehater said:
Did you read the article he posted. Juan gone won 2 mvps just based on his rbi production. They are not going to give it to a pitcher, and howard is the only phillie position player with a chance. If they runaway with the nl I think he will get it in large part because none of the other playoff teams have guys putting up way better numbers.
This isn't 1940 anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom