• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official All-Pro Football 2k8 Neo-GAF Online League Thread: Rats off to ya!

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Hate to admit it, but I'm kind of getting sold on the game just based on the online possibilities. Which is rare for me.

dk_

Skipped the clip after several minutes. Looks somewhat unfinished, that means weird animations and the player models look like shit as well as their proportions.

All Pro Football -1
Madden 08 +1

dk_ said:
Skipped the clip after several minutes. Looks somewhat unfinished, that means weird animations and the player models look like shit as well as their proportions.

All Pro Football -1
Madden 08 +1

Yeah, Madden's player models are very well proportioned.

ronnie-coleman-large.GIF

Kintaro

Got the new GI which has a All Pro 2k8 Review in it. The game got an 8 and 7.5 on Second Opinion.

+ Loved the aspect of putting together your own team.
+ Improves on 2k5 as well as improved DB AI
- Predictable and less aggressive CPU
- Lack of smoothness when playing defense

+ Great new animations
- QB tends to have trouble getting rid of the ball because of them
- No franchise

SO

+Retains great action and animations
- Fails to offer in depth experience for die hard football fans.
- No franchise
- Needs a lot of work to be a complete football game/experience.

Ramirez

Who trusts magazine/website reviews for sports games, honestly? So, according to EB this game comes out tomorrow? Kinda weird to launch on a Sunday no?

TheDuce22

Banned
Kintaro said:
- Lack of smoothness when playing defense

What do these even mean? Lack of smoothness? QB cant get rid of the ball? Do they know some QBs have quicker releases than others?

outsida

Well they're not going to rate this game high because of the missing NFL license we all knew this ahead of time.

Kintaro

TheDuce22 said:
What do these even mean? Lack of smoothness? QB cant get rid of the ball? Do they know some QBs have quicker releases than others?

I don't know. =P

The QB thing could mean the animations get in the way, ala NBA 2k7, but I'm just guessing. There's only so much room in the magazine review.

FWIW, NCAA 2008 scored 8 and 8.25

Guess we'll find out in a couple more days.

newsguy

outsida said:
Well they're not going to rate this game high because of the missing NFL license we all knew this ahead of time.

I don't know. I think with the success of games like Winning Eleven, reviewers can look past it if it plays a solid game of football. What will hurt 2K's scores is a lack of franchise.

Ramirez

Pretty simple Duce if you read them in the order they were intended...

+ Great new animations

Stupid NBA2K like animations that take control out of your hands? YES!

TheDuce22

Banned
Ramirez said:

+ Great new animations

In the videos ive seen it looks like the animation is basically the same from 2k5. The only thing that comes to mind is if they are throwing on the run there is a much longer animation.

maynerd

Banned
FrenchMovieTheme said:
newsguy/maynerd, join our league!

maynerd if you join i promise you can have the boz, the greatest seahawk to ever fly the oceans blue

No steve largent! Very disappointed!

TheDuce22 said:
In the videos ive seen it looks like the animation is basically the same from 2k5. The only thing that comes to mind is if they are throwing on the run there is a much longer animation.

Many are the same but there are now 40% more animations and many were replaced such that at least 60% of the animations are new. (According to developer chat.)

Sportsgamer.com has a final impressions write-up.

It sounds like the game is gonna get reviews around the 8 level which is pretty good for a first effort coming back. I just hope they sell enough games to make it again next year!

maynerd said:
I can't access that site from work can you post the contents?! :)
I had a chance to spend a few hours playing All-Pro football during E3. Knowing that many people will be picking up their copies this week, I thought I would give you my final impressions on the title...

Graphics
The graphics are slightly disappointing, especially if you are expecting them to be on par with Madden 08; I doubt they have changed at all since 2K5. You won't see individual blades of grass, field wear and tear, or any of the other graphical improvements that Madden has introduced on the next-gen. Although graphics are not critical, it does fall short of Madden enough that it is worth mentioning.

One aspect that was slightly disappointing was the inability to be able to clearly identify players by their faces. While some players are identifiable, you will find yourself asking, "Is that {insert obscure legend here} on their team?", quite often. This may be nitpicking to some extent but the game is premised on the nostalgia and pride from the NFL legends you choose for your team. It only seems natural to be able to recognize them easily, especially since other 2K titles have done this very well.

Offensive Adjustments
The adjustments are reminiscent of what you would find in Madden: audibles, hot routes for receivers, motioning.

The audible system is clever. Pressing Y presnap brings up a small window which you can scroll to view the 5 plays you can audible to. This is helpful for those who don't like to set their audibles before the game. They also prevent choosing the wrong play by accident. The other nice thing is that you can audible to a play that isn't currently being viewed so that your opponent won't know which play you choose.

Motioning is pretty basic. You can cycle through the motionable players using up and down on the directional pad and send them in motion by pressing right or left. The one thing worth mentioning is that you can send multiple players in motions (one at a time, not concurrently obviously). This is a ability not available in Madden and does give you some greater flexibility presnap.

Defensive Adjustments
This is definitely a strength of the game. Options are available to adjust your defensive formations, call audibles, and shift players.

The defensive formation adjustments are a great implementation. They allow you to adjust the your defense on the fly to another formation. For example, if you come out in a Cover 2 CB Blitz and realize that your opponent will likely run up the middle, you can quickly change to a Base Cover 1. The shifts are pretty quick so you can really confuse the offense with lots of movement presnap.

The controls to shift your coverages is also well done in All-Pro. Depending on how many times you press the right analog stick down, you can shift your safeties closer and closer to the line of scrimmage. This offers the defender plenty of control to adapt to the offense. Other adjustments include LB shifting and DL shifts.

Animations/Player Mechanics
This is one aspect of All-Pro that is definitely stronger than Madden, even with all the implementation of dual-player tackles in Madden this year. The animations are all fluid and, while there are instances of clipping errors from time to time, they are only really viewable on the zoomed in replays. Most of the animations are things you have probably seen in real life.
You won't find yourself going down just because your leg touched a player lying on the ground (though there are animations in which the player on the ground can make shoestring tackles).

The multiple player tackles looks equally good. The players fall in ways that would seem reasonable if three independent bodies clashed. Again, this also seems slightly better than its Madden counterpart.

Although players will still drop balls, it does seem as though picking off errant throws is slightly more common than in Madden. This just makes it that much more important to set your feet before you throw.

The physics in the game are top notch. Players won't run in position when stuck behind their offensive line, pockets seem dynamic, and players can even trip over other players. Referees even get knocked down from time to time. The transition from player control to the tackling animation is fluid enough that it is hard to pinpoint when exactly it takes place.

Game Speed
The game does seem to play slightly slower than Madden. This can be considered both a good and a bad thing. Its good in the sense that you can be more deliberate in your moves and cutbacks than in Madden but it also feels a bit unrealistic, especially if you are accustomed to the speed of Madden. The slower speed was probably necessary to allow the execution of the chargeable moves.

Extras
There are a few instances in which it sounds like Stephen Hawking is doing the play-by-play but its not a big deal. The halftime and postgame shows are very well done, showing the most prominent play in each drive and reporting on how the drive ended. This really does leave the imprint of a 2K Game.

I didn't have a chance to see the online features but supposedly it will support online leagues and tournaments. 2K usually does a good job here.

Overall, I had a fun experience playing the game. Although the game does play like a simulation, it is not a replacement for Madden. Having the current NFL players simply makes Madden too appealing to pass up. That being said, All-Pro is a solid title. 2K does a great job of doing the small things... a player could pick up an incomplete pass and run with it even after the refs blew the play dead; the kind of thing you see in football all the time. It will probably take a year or two to iron out the kinks but it is nice to see 2K making football games again.

newsguy

I read this earlier today. Although it's overall positive (I love the safety moving up with the right stick click) this guy is writing the review with his turdurken goggles on. WTF?

especially if you are expecting them to be on par with Madden 08

graphical improvements that Madden has introduced on the next-gen

fall short of Madden

you would find in Madden

not available in Madden

stronger than Madden

in Madden this year

its Madden counterpart

common than in Madden

slower than Madden

cutbacks than in Madden

the speed of Madden

not a replacement for Madden

makes Madden too appealing

madden6nj.jpg

You rang?!?!

LiveWire

Ramirez said:

+ Great new animations

So you're telling me to draft Dan Marino then? OK! :D

a player could pick up an incomplete pass and run with it even after the refs blew the play dead; the kind of thing you see in football all the time.

That is the kind of things I want to see in a next gen football game. Of course game play is the most important thing, but we all know it will never be perfect. So things like this really add life to the game.

newsguy said:
I read this earlier today. Although it's overall positive (I love the safety moving up with the right stick click) this guy is writing the review with his turdurken goggles on. WTF?

Yeah, that guy has madden on the brain.

The 2KSportsfootball.com site has additional info that you guys might find interesting.

APF 2K8 sounds pretty solid but light on game modes. It is sad to think about how good the 2K sports football game could have been if they had been working on it continously over the last 3 years as Madden has.

SickBoy

I'm interested to get a feel for how much the game is getting docked for modes. I think a franchise mode is a good thing, but it's not a deal-breaker for me (I think in this game in particular, assembling different teams to take through seasons is more attractive anyhow).

In Madden, the longest I ever kept a franchise was about three years... the game settings I had put game durations at just under an hour.

Speaking of things I hope for, I hope the frontend is pretty simple and responsive. That's an area that's disappointed me in Madden on 360 to date....

maynerd

Banned
I like that you sorta have a team built on strengths. You can have a superstar D team or superstar O team. Maybe you have a balanced team. A run heavy team perhaps. All air team. Monster D line crushing all runners or perhaps a monster secondary that stops all passes. It sorta reminds me of magic the gathering (Ok I'm a nerd).

newsguy

maynerd said:
I like that you sorta have a team built on strengths. You can have a superstar D team or superstar O team. Maybe you have a balanced team. A run heavy team perhaps. All air team. Monster D line crushing all runners or perhaps a monster secondary that stops all passes. It sorta reminds me of magic the gathering (Ok I'm a nerd).

Actually, online this will be what makes this game awesome. It's not just jumping in the game, it's the strategy of who you want to put on the field. Leagues are even more involved because you have an order, so Payton might be your first gold, but you may want to draft Cunningham with a high pick for a steal at silver. The possibilities are enough to give people a legendary chubby.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
speculawyer said:
Graphics
The graphics are slightly disappointing, especially if you are expecting them to be on par with Madden 08; I doubt they have changed at all since 2K5. You won't see individual blades of grass, field wear and tear, or any of the other graphical improvements that Madden has introduced on the next-gen. Although graphics are not critical, it does fall short of Madden enough that it is worth mentioning.
I could swear even 2K5 had field wear and tear of some sort. Am I remembering things wrong?

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
XiaNaphryz said:
I could swear even 2K5 had field wear and tear of some sort. Am I remembering things wrong?

nope....it did have it.

I get my copy in the morning btw.

newsguy said:
http://forums.xbox.com/13973670/ShowPost.aspx

This guy got it in Canada. Apparantly they're selling it there already. First thing he mentions is that there is an auto-strafe feature that needs to be turned off on defense. This could be the "lack of smoothness on defense" that the GI review mentions.

Whaaa I live in Canada..I just assumed it wasn't in!!

I thought this was a for sure rental but the online play sounds terrific im thinking it could be purchase worthy. brb to call rental stores.

heres another review from......Xboxfamily

- Graphics seem like an after thought

- Sound will immerse players in the game

- Best football sim to date

- It’s just nice to see 2K back in the game

Final Score:
7.5/10

Edit: wow the graphics seem bad. I was avoiding any spoilers of this game but i caved...well it looks worse than 2k5....

2003898747683665924_rs.jpg

2003885626900995664_rs.jpg

Kintaro

Lion Heart said:
heres another review from......Xboxfamily

- Graphics seem like an after thought

- Sound will immerse players in the game

- Best football sim to date

- It’s just nice to see 2K back in the game

Final Score:
7.5/10

Edit: wow the graphics seem bad. I was avoiding any spoilers of this game but i caved...well it looks worse than 2k5....

frame_lead.php

frame_lead.php

:lol :lol :lol

So, it's the best football sim to date, but only manages 7.5? Somehow, I'm not really buying this.

Kintaro said:
:lol :lol :lol

So, it's the best football sim to date, but only manages 7.5? Somehow, I'm not really buying this.

Uhh, maybe they mean best at simulating a real football game, but not the best at everything else, which could lower the score to a 7.5.

GCQuinton

RBH said:
http://2ksports.com/forums/showthread.php?t=128225

I said wow. :lol

And honestly, I think the whole thing about the graphics is a bit exaggerated. I mean, the game doesn't look mindblowing or anything like that, but the graphics appear to be solid and to say that it looks worse than 2K5 is stretching it.

Guess we'll know for sure tomorrow. :D

we got in a argument and he said for me to chose whats more important a stupid football game or a job, so I started rapping the "Give me football rap" at work infront of everyone

:lol :lol

newsguy

RBH said:
And honestly, I think the whole thing about the graphics is a bit exaggerated. I mean, the game doesn't look mindblowing or anything like that, but the graphics appear to be solid and to say that it looks worse than 2K5 is stretching it.

Guess we'll know for sure tomorrow. :D

In this generation I have been numbed to graphics for the first time. When people mention shitty graphics in NCAA I don't see it. I even play Winning Eleven and after 1 game I don't care that it looks like an HD PS2 game. I've seen the amazing (GOW, Resistance) and what I remember in the end is the gameplay. This game can graphically look like 2K5, but as long as it's HD and it's solid I don't even care.

newsguy said:
In this generation I have been numbed to graphics for the first time. When people mention shitty graphics in NCAA I don't see it. I even play Winning Eleven and after 1 game I don't care that it looks like an HD PS2 game. I've seen the amazing (GOW, Resistance) and what I remember in the end is the gameplay. This game can graphically look like 2K5, but as long as it's HD and it's solid I don't even care.

Don't get me wrong, i would choose this game over Madden anyday but yikes, look at my two shots of comparison. but I admit, after 20 minutes I dont even see the graphics.

Zep

Banned
Lion Heart said:
Don't get me wrong, i would choose this game over Madden anyday but yikes, look at my two shots of comparison. but I admit, after 20 minutes I dont even see the graphics.

heres a hint*

game doesnt look that bad

Watch some hd movies.

Top Bottom