• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official GAF PS3 NCAA 2009 Online Dynasty: Are you a man? Are you 40? Sign up!

DMczaf

FrenchMovieTheme said:
ill wait to see what DM says. i find it hard to believe he would quit because of a punt return TD. i have never had a punt returned on me for a TD even before the patch thanks to a combination of angling the punt (down, then left-up on the stick) and aiming it high to give my coverage more time.

It was a combination of things. After 3 return TDs, I was already boiling. And then he kicks an onside kick and the ball bounces off my user controlled player's hands...yes...off his hands...and bounces straight to lonestar's coverage team for the easiest onside kick ever. It's like the game said "I know you're pissed at me right now, but let's see how far I can push you!"

I've complained about my team's Return Coverage before numerous times, and no one gives me any tips, or tells me what I'm doing wrong. Instead I get people being dicks and posting pictures of babies. This is not something I just pulled out of thin air tonight as a reason to complain. Obviously from the overall league stats, people aren't returning TDs against the CPU and other Users as they do against me.

Edit: Hey, Livewire is the first person to give me advice for my problem!

No Livewire, I don't use Hit Stick during return coverage in NCAA (I do in Madden). I just try to get down field to get in position to make a play.

don't knkow what to say about the KR/PR tips. i don't think there is anything i "do" to prevent them. on punts i usually kick it out of bounds or kick it so high that they have to fair catch. on KR's i just pick one guy to control and never switch guys. not sure what to say beyond that.

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
I've complained about my team's Return Coverage before numerous times, and no one gives me any tips, or tells me what I'm doing wrong.

how about when we play, keep AIM open and ill tell you what plays im running as well!

quit being a bitch about it. clearly your doing something wrong on coverage since no one else is having this problem. if someone wont tell you what your doing wrong (and they have no obligation to do that like your making it out to be) then practice it and figure it out yourself.

its very disrespectful to just quit cause things arent going your way. i can understand frustration after a game but its a slap in your opponents face to just quit because of something like that

DMczaf

CB3 said:
how about when we play, keep AIM open and ill tell you what plays im running as well!

quit being a bitch about. clearly your doing something wrong on coverage since no one else is having this problem. if someone wont tell you what your doing wrong (and they have no obligation to do that like your making it out to be) then practice it and figure it out yourself.

Wow. I try to ask for help, and I get a douchebag response! Thanks!

FrenchMovieTheme said:
don't knkow what to say about the KR/PR tips. i don't think there is anything i "do" to prevent them. on punts i usually kick it out of bounds or kick it so high that they have to fair catch. on KR's i just pick one guy to control and never switch guys. not sure what to say beyond that.

When I punt high, my coverage team is too slow to get down field to force a fair catch (which is what I do in Madden). When I try to punt out of bounds, I usually screw up and get a shitty punt thats like 20 yards, or I punt it inbounds on accident and it's easy PR TD for any User against me.

Most of the time, if I "stop" someone on a KR, it's because they ran into my guys on accident.

what i do on angling depends on which side of the hash i'm on. i've kind of perfected it in practice mode, but you get a feel on how much you should tilt the stick when the meter is coming back up. don't confused what i'm saying: i leave the ACTUAL kick meter straight on (in other words, before the snap i do not move the arrow left or right, i leave it perfectly straight). THEN, when the meter is going back up, instead of pushing straight up, i push it kind of up and to the left.

for some reason (probably just me) i just can't get a hang of it kicking to the right. you will notice when you play me ALL my punts are angled left. anyhow, if i am on the left has, i may actually physically move the arrow before the punt to compensate for the fact that i'm also going to directional punt it left. if i am in the middle i typically dont move it, and if im on the right has i MAY move it a little to the left, but not too much. i've had good success with this. even though my punting average is in the low 40's, i will take that over the wildcard of letting someone return the punt on me.

as far as kick returns, i have absolutely no advice. i just kick the ball off, use one guy to run down and try to avoid the blockers and get to the returner.

CB3

Wow. I try to ask for help, and I get a douchebag response! Thanks!

i posted the obligatory baby picture because its funny and it tends to pop up when things like this happen. i had no intention of getting involved until you took it up the ass and called me a dick.

we should have a rule that you cant post in a league thread until like 2 hours after you've played your game. too many people here have short tempers.

DMczaf

FrenchMovieTheme said:
what i do on angling depends on which side of the hash i'm on. i've kind of perfected it in practice mode, but you get a feel on how much you should tilt the stick when the meter is coming back up. don't confused what i'm saying: i leave the ACTUAL kick meter straight on (in other words, before the snap i do not move the arrow left or right, i leave it perfectly straight). THEN, when the meter is going back up, instead of pushing straight up, i push it kind of up and to the left.

for some reason (probably just me) i just can't get a hang of it kicking to the right. you will notice when you play me ALL my punts are angled left. anyhow, if i am on the left has, i may actually physically move the arrow before the punt to compensate for the fact that i'm also going to directional punt it left. if i am in the middle i typically dont move it, and if im on the right has i MAY move it a little to the left, but not too much. i've had good success with this. even though my punting average is in the low 40's, i will take that over the wildcard of letting someone return the punt on me.

as far as kick returns, i have absolutely no advice. i just kick the ball off, use one guy to run down and try to avoid the blockers and get to the returner.

On punts, I've been angling the arrow and then trying to angle with the right stick as well. If I just BARELY mess it up, it's usually a crappy punt or I give up a 30+ yard punt return, or even worse a TD. When I try to punt it high, my gunners are too slow to get down field, or they've been pushed to the ground by blockers if they DO get down field. I feel if I can master punting out of bounds, this shouldn't be a problem...BUT KR coverage on the other hand....

I don't think anyone has any advice for Kick Return coverage, my coverage units are just SO slow. Even if I get a guy on the returner, he will usually break the tackle and still take it to the house. I just hope that who ever I'm playing against runs into one of my guys on accident, and slows him down long enough so I can throw 3-4 more guys at him. Although that didn't even work against Lonestar since his returner's TD runs happened after broken tackles and no one could jump on him while he was slowing down :(

I was honestly thinking about just kicking the ball out of bounds on Kickoffs against Lonestar and taking the penalty. That's how desperate I am.

Mrbob

I had a punt blocked returned for a TD and then a kickoff returned for a TD in my bowl game cry moar dm. :D

I agree though kickoff and punt returns are pretty much bs in this game.

LiveWire I can't play tonight. When are you home on Wed.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Hey, I had a legitimate beef, you fucking quit the game, disconnected. You have no bearing on shit here bud. You never asked me on "how to fix my punt coverage ability" or anything.

The first KO return, right after he scores, so it's 7-0 before this.
http://www.easportsworld.com/en_US/video/729059 Added this angle, because I actually see a comical block in the back and a bitch block by my other returner (though, all this is after Scott has broken through the middle)

http://www.easportsworld.com/en_US/video/729885
This is the 2nd KO return, sometime in the 3rd. I believe this is after he scores to open the 2nd half, I think it was 20-7 at that point, this makes it 20-14

http://www.easportsworld.com/en_US/video/729938
This is is me on 4th and 5, in the 4th quarter, I think I'm down 27-14 at that point, this makes it 27-21 sometime in the 4th. Broken coverage, again, if he stops it, I'm probably done.

He ends up kicking a FG on the next drive, so it's 30-21. I think I don't do much, and throw an INT, maybe 3 minutes left? I actually hold him and force a punt (using 2 timeouts on time, so it's like 2:00 left in the game when he punts, and this happens

http://www.easportsworld.com/en_US/video/730127

So, a punt return TD makes it now 30-28, I've got 1 TO, and I know I've barely stopped him on Offense, and 1 TO isn't enough to force another punt. So I onside it.

http://www.easportsworld.com/en_US/video/730012

You can see his team guy run up and try to get it, and my guy gets the ball after that. No control in any of that from me or him.

Next play, I think I scramble out of bounds with Star. Next play, sitting back looking for an opening, sense pressure, run to the right, he's got 1 DE and 1 LB chasing, I might not get much headway upfield...I see my RB coming across from the left, his coverage 10-15 yards behind him. I throw to him and complete it, so I'm at like the 30 yard line, FG range, 1:29 or so left. I chose a safe play and boom, user disconnected, would you like to continue vs CPU? Start this drama, end up finishing the game and it counts. I get to the goal line and Star runs in TD, that's how it ends 34-30

Mrbob

I'm not saying you are cheesing lonestar, but if all that happened to me too in one game I would probably quit as well.

Unless your name is Devon Hester this just doesn't happen.

I know why there are so many returns. The AI defenders do not react fast enough to handle the cuts from some of these speedier players. Now I realize the gap is different between players in the college level versus the pro level, but reaction time is way too slow.

Lonestar

hey, 95 speed 97 acc and 97 agility should count (Hodges, who I TOLD you guys I would use) Scott's like 93/95 himself

LiveWire

DM it's just the CPU coverage. Not much you can do against a sick speed RB if the human player makes a slow start and then a fast diagonal cut. It's that stupid CPU "I'm going to run with you down the sideline but I won't bother to take an angle to tackle you" animation that happens so often in this game.

You can try to manually move your blockers way off coverage as the ball is flying to the PR/KR to try and create confusion among the opposing blockers, sometimes that will create crowds where you can slow a guy up. Also, don't forget to use your swim/rip moves (L1/R1), they will work with special teams players that are engaged.

And don't worry about CB, he's an Eagles fan, so he's always an ass.

Bob, Heroes has to be over by now right? TiVo the 11 o'clock news and get online! I'm not free Wednesday, I have a softball game. What about tomorrow night?

DMczaf

LiveWire said:
DM it's just the CPU coverage. Not much you can do against a sick speed RB if the human player makes a slow start and then a fast diagonal cut. It's that stupid CPU "I'm going to run with you down the sideline but I won't bother to take an angle to tackle you" animation that happens so often in this game.

You can try to manually move your blockers way off coverage as the ball is flying to the PR/KR to try and create confusion among the opposing blockers, sometimes that will create crowds where you can slow a guy up. Also, don't forget to use your swim/rip moves (L1/R1), they will work with special teams players that are engaged.

I'm watching the punt return TD and just boiling at the CPU players all reacting to a spin the SAME exact way, and everyone takes themselves out of the play because of that.

And then I look at one of the kick return TDs, and he ran right into a pile of my players, breaks ONE tackle and then takes off for a TD while the rest of my players never gang tackled him down. It's just so frustrating to see my team play this stupid on returns.

I'll give the game another go, and I'll try my very hardest not to react and disconnect when I see 3 return TDs again...which will probably happen in Week 2 :(

Lonestar

I still feel you should be gone. Infuckingfuriating. You lead the ENTIRE game, and could have stopped me on that last drive just like you had the entire game. You almost broke one or 2 kicks off me, but I fought through it and tackled. That INT I threw, it sailed on me with no input from me. And Oregon's field makes it fucking difficult to get things done on offense.

To put in perspective, I went out after the game and ran over 15 people. It's on CNN.

No, I went and bought a Wii Fit. That's right, I've spent $90 on that Non Game, making Nintendo richer.

ARE YOU HAPPY, ARE YOU NOT INTERTANNED?

Mrbob

Just let me know....

I'm too drained to play a league game tonight. I had to work 14+ today and I'm looking at a 13+ day tommorrow, busy time for me.

CB3

GG DCX. i was sweating balls when i threw that int late in the game. that QB is a motherfucker to take down

To everyone else: Sup fellas! USC has reclaimed its #1 spot. get used to us staying there :)

I will say this for advice. If you're punting to the middle of the field, that's just asking for trouble. You leave way too much room for the returner to dance around.

DCX

DCX
CB3 said:
GG DCX. i was sweating balls when i threw that int late in the game. that QB is a motherfucker to take down

To everyone else: Sup fellas! USC has reclaimed its #1 spot. get used to us staying there :)
gg alot of rust in that game. every time igot in scoring position my team just gave up. the fumbles were ridiculous. down year for ohio state and boo at the commish for having us play the first game!

DCX

LiveWire

Mrbob said:
Just let me know....

I'm too drained to play a league game tonight. I had to work 14+ today and I'm looking at a 13+ day tommorrow, busy time for me.

Let's shoot for 9:30 Eastern Wed night?

Mrbob

Should be fine...10PM eastern might work better for me.

Can't wait to use my freshman qb superstar. Testing him out in practice, boy has a laser cannon for an arm.

Mrbob

Hey LiveWire you thurr at all. If we start in the next half hour I can play tonight. I'm tired but what the hell I want to get the game in.

LiveWire

Mrbob said:
Hey LiveWire you thurr at all. If we start in the next half hour I can play tonight. I'm tired but what the hell I want to get the game in.

About to play bluemax in our Madden league game. Can get you in afterwards if you wanna stay up but if not we can do tomorrow as planned.

Mrbob

Yeah I'm at work right now but....I get home around 6PM eastern today. If you want we can play right away then. I might be heading out tonight now so late night game time might be a bit dicey.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Can I jump out of the leage and jump back in when I have power?

Estimates now are anywhere from Sunday to next Wednesday for me to get power. If I am going to be holding this up, just remove me from the league if possible.

LiveWire

Mrbob said:
Yeah I'm at work right now but....I get home around 6PM eastern today. If you want we can play right away then. I might be heading out tonight now so late night game time might be a bit dicey.

My softball game is 6:30-8:30. I'll be home by 9 so can we squeeze it in then?

Mrbob

T minus 15 min or I'm gonna go do something else.

Don't whine about my TV shows again you stood me up for nearly two hours tonight. :D

LiveWire

Mrbob said:
T minus 15 min or I'm gonna go do something else.

Don't whine about my TV shows again you stood me up for nearly two hours tonight. :D

My bad my bad, I have an excuse, the highway I took home had an accident which slowed traffic. And to answer your question, yes I did win the softball game (actually we play a doubleheader each Wed night) and hit an in-the-park homerun and a one-hop ground rule double. The bats were hot tonight for my entire team, one of our women almost put one out, it was ridiculous. :lol

Mrbob

Me and Livewire had another good battle. Was a tough back and forth game and I finally took control of it in the 4th. He had some big time momentum as he scored a TD right before half to take the lead and got the ball to start the second half. On his first drive of the 2nd half I made a big play on defense to help turn things around:

http://www.easportsworld.com/en_US/video/778393

Unfortunately, the kicking bar didn't register on my proceeding kickoff so he got the ball at my 45 to start the drive! :lol He scored a TD to go back up, and then I followed with a long drive to take the lead midway in the 4th. He had 3 and out on his next possession, I got the ball back and made some big plays to run the clock out. Being up 21-17 with about 1:55 left in the 4th with 4th and 1 at his 30 yard line, I decided to go for the win since he didn't have any timeouts left. I converted on the play and held onto the victory (No Penn State-esque screw job this time!).

Good, hard fought game Livewire! Tough break losing two years in a row by a combined 7 points. :/

LiveWire

gg. I should've abandoned the run earlier. My RBs blow chunks. Both freshman WR recruits (McPherson and Newberry) got TDs and were clearly faster than your #2/#3 DBs. I was expecting you to move your star free safety over to the right to help cover them as I was mostly throwing right. But the first time I throw left, he gets a pickle. :(

Not a bad showing for my new spread offense playbook though. Vic Hall (my #1 CB) will be a beast this year. I'm predicting at least 6 INTs.

i will advance tomorrow... possibly tomorrow morning! but more than likely tomorrow night when i get home from work. sorry about the delay dudes, didn't realize everyone was finished so quick!

but then should i just sim Malleymals game?

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
Do i play Az this year?? let me know..

as for with Dskillz sorry about the power man... we will get it in another time... I will do my recruiting when I get to jersey today...

Lonestar

Ahhh, I was going to joke that he was going to wake a week before telling you he'd be out for 2 weeks around that time.

Top Bottom