• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official "I need a new PC!!" 2009 Edition

Firestorm

TheHeretic said:
I'm hesitant to use the site. I prefer the AMD 940 or 945, which are cheaper and better.
940 and 945 are cheaper, but not better than the Q9550. I haven't heard of anybody's experiences with NCIX US though. They're Canada's equivalent of Newegg. If NCIX US is as bad as Newegg Canada, then it's just the pricing and shipping that sucks =P Although to be honest, those prices aren't half bad. Same build cost me that much AFTER rebate.

Firestorm said:
940 and 945 are cheaper, but not better than the Q9550. I haven't heard of anybody's experiences with NCIX US though. They're Canada's equivalent of Newegg. If NCIX US is as bad as Newegg Canada, then it's just the pricing and shipping that sucks =P Although to be honest, those prices aren't half bad. Same build cost me that much AFTER rebate.

Well its cheaper and performs the same at stock, which is pretty much better. It also has an unlocked multiplier making it a better overclocker. You can also put it in an AM3 board which is AMDs next standard, Intel have abandoned 775. It gives you access to DDR3 as well, which is a nice bonus as DDR3 can be had for pretty cheap these days.

Hi guys.

I'm looking to upgrade my early 2005 Dell Dimension 8400 via NewEgg.

I want to keep the mid-tower case, monitor, mouse, keyboard, and hard drive.

I have a budget of $300 and am looking for a decent motherboard, CPU, GPU, and ram.

Thanks.

FleckSplat said:
Hi guys.

I'm looking to upgrade my early 2005 Dell Dimension 8400 via NewEgg.

I want to keep the mid-tower case, monitor, mouse, keyboard, and hard drive.

I have a budget of $300 and am looking for a decent motherboard, CPU, GPU, and ram.

Thanks.

What about OS?

TheHeretic said:
The reason we recommend building your own is that websites charge very large premiums on building them for you. I just ran through what should have been a $700 rig on ibuypower.com, it wound up being $1150. Thats the sort of thing i'm not comfortable recommending to anyone. I will dig around for you though. In my mind the PC builder within knows how far $1000 will get you: and generally its just difficult to get that kind of value from prebuilt systems.

Thanks for the tip! Well could you price one out for me that I could build? Like I said my budget is 1 grand plus or minus a hundred bucks. The PC will be used for media editing and gaming. Also what is the difficulty in building a PC for your first time? It is somthing I always wanted to do but never have. And also is there any guides to doing this? Where can I find one?

Thanks

FleckSplat said:
I have XP, but will be getting Windows 7 via MSDNAA soon.

EDIT: Another noob question, do ATX motherboards fit in midtower cases?

Sometimes. It really depends on the case.

That dimension was around the time dell liked to use proprietary shit to keep people from upgrading their stuff.

I would ditch the case.

StreetDisciple said:
Thanks for the tip! Well could you price one out for me that I could build? Like I said my budget is 1 grand plus or minus a hundred bucks. The PC will be used for media editing and gaming. Also what is the difficulty in building a PC for your first time? It is somthing I always wanted to do but never have. And also is there any guides to doing this? Where can I find one?

Thanks

Building a PC really isn't all that difficult. Its a bit like assembling lego: everything is coloured and if something slots into something else correctly thats where it belongs :lol

The difficulty in building a PC isn't so much plugging things in as much as it is cable management to be honest. You want to tie down any power cords flailing around within your case: though you don't really need to, its just a cleanliness/airflow issue. Good motherboards have detailed guides on putting a PC together, for the most part is pretty obvious. Theres a part, and a big ol' slot that part will obviously go in. What can be somewhat tricky is powering everything: but again, if a power cord fits, thats what you should use.

As long as you are careful with your parts worst case scenario is you haven't powered something and your PC won't boot. Luckily this just requires going back to your PC, going through the instructions and plugging in whatever it is you didn't plug in to begin with. It really would require a special kind of negligence to actually break your computer while building it. Just make sure above all else your CPU's fan is spinning, if it isn't your CPU isn't being cooled and thats a problem.

PC's come with everything you'll need to put them together. You'll screw your motherboard into your case: and from there all you need to do is slot things in and give them the connection they need. All screws/cables are provided and neogaf and a bajillion other websites have step by step guides on what to do and troubleshooting.

For $1000 bucks you really can afford the best. Heres my build for ya!

CPU: AMD Phenom II 955 BE - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103674 - $200
RAM: G.Skill DDR3 4GB - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231180 - $78
HDD: Western Digital CB 640GB - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136319 - $75
GPU: XFX 4890 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150359 - $200
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790XT-UD4P - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128378 - $127
PSU: Corsair 550VX - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139004 - $90
CASE: Coolermaster 690 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119137 - $70
DVD: LG 22X DVD Burner: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827136153 - $30

Total: $870

Optional Monitor: ASUS 24" TN Diplay - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236049 - $220
Optional CPU Cooler: Core Contact Freezer 120mm -http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16835207004 - $40

Very powerful PC build, probably as powerful as you could go without delving into i7 (which is overpriced, imo). The CPU is a beast and is a ridiculous overclocker if you choose to do so. Luckily its quick out of the gate so no concerns there. The RAM is DDR3 which is a bit of a waste but isn't too expensive and you'll want DDR3 for AMD's latest. The HDD is the 640GB Caviar Black which as far as I know is the fastest 7200RPM drive out there, best of all its cheap!

XFX GPU's have a double lifetime warranty, and the 4890 is the best card on the market. Great overclocker, can handle any game at any resolution. The PSU is a Corsair and should be as reliable as any other. The Coolermaster 690 is the best in its class without question, no need to spend any more there. The DVD was the highest rated/most popular/cheapest on newegg, its black and it works!

The monitor I picked out is just the most popular 24" displayer on newegg. Its cheap and its a TN display: meaning great for games and cheap as chips but the image quality won't be great. I don't even know if you need one but I threw it in there for good measure.

The CPU cooler is for if you want to overclock. Its a backplate by design meaning it screws in over the CPU and comes with its own thermal paste and fan controller to sit on the back. Its the core contact freezer, meaning its massive in size and is one of the best coolers out there.

If its too expensive we can cut back a little. Unfortunately the AMD X4 940 has been discontinued which was a great chip for its price. There are ways to make it cheaper, just let me know!

Wow!! Thanks TheHeretic for the effort! I think I am going to go ahead and bite the bullet on your set-up. It looks very reasonable and I can save a few bucks because I already have a DVD Burner. Thanks also to Firestorm for your input. If all goes well I should have this done by end of next week. I also want a dual monitor config, do yall see any problems there?

StreetDisciple said:
Wow!! Thanks TheHeretic for the effort! I think I am going to go ahead and bite the bullet on your set-up. It looks very reasonable and I can save a few bucks because I already have a DVD Burner. Thanks also to Firestorm for your input. If all goes well I should have this done by end of next week. I also want a dual monitor config, do yall see any problems there?
No probs! Most gpus come with two dvi ports, the one I listed is no exception. It's designed to handle two monitors.

Edit: Just an addendum to my build. You should probably get this 4890 instead:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102841

Its factory overclocked and has a better cooler, which makes it quieter as well. Same price, better card! Instead of having dual DVI it has DVI, VGA and HDMI (one of each). You can convert HDMI or VGA easily to support a DVI monitor so its no big deal, but its something to consider. If you still want two DVI slots get this without the hassle of buying a converter:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150360

Still XFX, but factory overclocked. A bit of an oversight on my part.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Any idea if two GTX 275's would fit in an old Lian-li pc65b case? I love my case and I don't want to upgrade it if I don't have to. I guess I would have to take out the hard drive bay, I don't really see that being a problem if I can mount my hard drive(s) in the 3.5 bays.

StreetDisciple said:
My budget is about 1 grand give or take a hundred dollars, I am looking to buy a decent gaming pc. I am not really interested in building my own, can someone direct me to a already built PC that will be good in the gaming / media department.

Thanks

cyberpowerpc. they are cheaper than ibuypower.

TheExodu5

Banned
Legjend said:
I'm trying to build a quick PC for my friend. All he really wants to do is play Team Fortress 2 and possibly Left 4 Dead/ Fallout 3. He plans to play the Old Republic when it comes out. He's on a tight ass cheeks budget so here's what I got:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4692631&sku=B69-1077

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130297

Let me know what you guys think. I appreciate it.

He really would do better saving up an extra $100 and getting a better PSU + videocard. That 8600GT is not going to be doing much nowadays. A 4850 would be much better suited to the task of playing those games, but it does require a lot more power.

With an 8600GT, you'd be expecting 20-30fps in TF2 maxed out at 1680*1050. Maybe 25-40 if you turn down some settings. You can just about triple those numbers with an HD 4850.

Atilac said:
Their also the same company...
H ardconsumer did some interesting full system evaluations with them back in the day.

their prices are different. but i've dealt with cyber and they know what they're doing but DIY is the best way of course.... but their prices really cant be beat for what you get...

TheExodu5

Banned
Meus Renaissance said:

I'm guessing the 7900GT is the faster card.

*checking benchmarks*

Seems like it's about 40% the speed of an HD 4670. Your 7900GT should definitely be the faster card, by a decent margin.

Heya, PC-GAF! About a year and a half ago, I built a new computer. I wasn't a huge fan of PC gaming at that point, so it's been great for all the stuff I've used it for thus far. But now, I'm considering biting the bullet and picking up a 3D monitor, seeing as I need a new one anyways...and so, with 3D gaming, would come an increased strain on the system. I don't have Windows7 yet (going to pick up a new HDD to test it with), so I haven't been able to test my current system with the Resident Evil 5 benchmark yet.

Here's the games I'd probably be playing in 3D, if I picked up everything:
-L4D, L4D2
-Resident Evil 5
-Aion
-FFXIV
-Audiosurf

Here's my current machine:
-4GB RAM
-Card: GeForce 9600 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16
-CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor
-MoBo: EVGA 132-CK-NF78-A1 LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 780i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard

Keep in mind, I'd like to avoid replacing the motherboard if possible.

I was planning on picking up a GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 Superclocked Edition 896MB 448-bit GDDR3, since with the rebate, it's a "mere" $160. Beyond that, I was also considering upgrading to a Quad Core, if it turns out to be necessary (It probably would, wouldn't it?).

In regards to the monitor, it looks like there's only two 3D monitors available right now: the Samsung SyncMaster and the ViewSonic FuHzion. The FuHuzion seems to be available for $100 less, and has a lower response time to boot. Is the FuHuzion a no-brainer, or is there some reason nVidia is bundling the Samsung and not the ViewSonic with the glasses? Is ViewSonic an unreliable company, or is there something else I'm missing?

Lastly: I just noticed my CPU supports 64bit, but I'm pretty sure I've been running 32bit XP on it. Are 64-bit capable CPUs able to run 32-bit OSes as well, or have I just been using 64bit XP this entire time?

Thanks sooooooo much for all your time.

Ceebs

StreetDisciple said:

Thanks

As an aside to what TheHeretic said about building a PC, the only real issue is static electricity while building. Putting it together somewhere there is not carpet and grounding yourself to the metal case takes care of that though. If you want to be extra careful you can buy a grounding bracelet to do the job as well.

Other than that, it's like a LEGO set.

RocketDarkness said:
Heya, PC-GAF! About a year and a half ago, I built a new computer. I wasn't a huge fan of PC gaming at that point, so it's been great for all the stuff I've used it for thus far. But now, I'm considering biting the bullet and picking up a 3D monitor, seeing as I need a new one anyways...and so, with 3D gaming, would come an increased strain on the system. I don't have Windows7 yet (going to pick up a new HDD to test it with), so I haven't been able to test my current system with the Resident Evil 5 benchmark yet.

Here's the games I'd probably be playing in 3D, if I picked up everything:
-L4D, L4D2
-Resident Evil 5
-Aion
-FFXIV
-Audiosurf

Here's my current machine:
-4GB RAM
-Card: GeForce 9600 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16
-CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor
-MoBo: EVGA 132-CK-NF78-A1 LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 780i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard

Keep in mind, I'd like to avoid replacing the motherboard if possible.

I was planning on picking up a GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 Superclocked Edition 896MB 448-bit GDDR3, since with the rebate, it's a "mere" $160. Beyond that, I was also considering upgrading to a Quad Core, if it turns out to be necessary (It probably would, wouldn't it?).

In regards to the monitor, it looks like there's only two 3D monitors available right now: the Samsung SyncMaster and the ViewSonic FuHzion. The FuHuzion seems to be available for $100 less, and has a lower response time to boot. Is the FuHuzion a no-brainer, or is there some reason nVidia is bundling the Samsung and not the ViewSonic with the glasses? Is ViewSonic an unreliable company, or is there something else I'm missing?

Lastly: I just noticed my CPU supports 64bit, but I'm pretty sure I've been running 32bit XP on it. Are 64-bit capable CPUs able to run 32-bit OSes as well, or have I just been using 64bit XP this entire time?

Thanks sooooooo much for all your time.

Yep that GTX 260's a pretty good deal considering it comes with Batman, which is meant to be 3D vision optimised so ideal to try out on your new monitor.

Since you have an SLI board you can use your 9600GT as a PhysX card, so it won't go to total waste. Batman is going to be insane on that thing with both Physx and 3D vision.

That E8400 is more than enough, if it ever proves a problem just OC it some.

No idea on which monitor to go with, you'll have to ask someone else.

Of course 64 bit CPUs can run a 32 bit OS, yeah. Just make sure you install the 64 bit version of 7.

Wow, what a fast reply. I'll put in an order for the card and the hard drive sometime this week, then. And yeah, I'll have to go ahead and download the 64-bit version of 7, still have 3 days. XD

In regards to using the 9600 as a PhysX card, do you mean having both plugged in independently, or actually using the SLI connector in some manner? I don't know much about SLI's functionality, eheheh.

RocketDarkness said:
Wow, what a fast reply. I'll put in an order for the card and the hard drive sometime this week, then. And yeah, I'll have to go ahead and download the 64-bit version of 7, still have 3 days. XD

In regards to using the 9600 as a PhysX card, do you mean having both plugged in independently, or actually using the SLI connector in some manner? I don't know much about SLI's functionality, eheheh.

Eh, you'll have to read up about hooking up a Physx card but I doubt you'd need to use the SLI connector, just stick it in your second PCIe slot and set it as a PhysX card in the driver control panel.

You won't be using SLI (it wouldn't work) just using it as a dedicated PhysX cards in games that support it. You don't have to do it but since you're going to be using 3D vision you'll probably need it to get playable framerates when using both PhysX and 3D vision together.

Firestorm

RocketDarkness said:

Are you opposed to spending a little more on the video card?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814143183

I'm thinking it might be good to get a little more as 3D might be pushing your system harder than normal. It's $30 more for the GTX 275. Both come with Batman Arkham Asylum.

vanty

I put together this mofo last night. Only had time to hook it up to power and turn it on, everything lit up and fans were all going so it all seems fine. Was a total bitch getting the motherboard in, after a couple screws it was alright though.

Is there anything I should do in the BIOS before installing Windows apart from making sure it'll boot from DVD first?

Daigoro

SuperEnemyCrab said:
go to control panel, admin tools, computer management and then disk management and make sure it's detected, then try right clicking on it to activate.

just wanted to chime in and say thanks again. that did the trick.

unfortunately i mistakenly reformatted that drive at some point during my new build (a hard lesson learned). but its working and being used now.

still getting used to Vista. not bad once i started to figure it out.

Firestorm said:
Are you opposed to spending a little more on the video card?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814143183

I'm thinking it might be good to get a little more as 3D might be pushing your system harder than normal. It's $30 more for the GTX 275. Both come with Batman Arkham Asylum.
I think that seems reasonable enough. I may need another power supply to run both cards, but I'll check at home beforehand. If I do, this 750W supply popped up at only $100, after rebates. Seems like a steal. Thoughts?

Oh, and any opinions on the monitors would be great as well.

RocketDarkness said:
I think that seems reasonable enough. I may need another power supply to run both cards, but I'll check at home beforehand. If I do, this 750W supply popped up at only $100, after rebates. Seems like a steal. Thoughts?

Oh, and any opinions on the monitors would be great as well.

Just drop the 9600 as a PhysX card if it requires a PSU upgrade, its not worth it.

Could you link to your PSU please?

Ceebs

vanty. said:
I put together this mofo last night. Only had time to hook it up to power and turn it on, everything lit up and fans were all going so it all seems fine. Was a total bitch getting the motherboard in, after a couple screws it was alright though.

Is there anything I should do in the BIOS before installing Windows apart from making sure it'll boot from DVD first?
If you do not need a BIOS update for your CPU go ahead and install Windows. I made the mistake on the one I built last week of not checking what CPU it had detected. Windows took ages to install because of it.

brain_stew said:
Eh, you'll have to read up about hooking up a Physx card but I doubt you'd need to use the SLI connector, just stick it in your second PCIe slot and set it as a PhysX card in the driver control panel.

You won't be using SLI (it wouldn't work) just using it as a dedicated PhysX cards in games that support it. You don't have to do it but since you're going to be using 3D vision you'll probably need it to get playable framerates when using both PhysX and 3D vision together.

Do you need an SLI- capable mobo to do this? Or will a mobo with 2 PCI 2.0 16x slots do (IE -Crossfire)?

Gully State said:
Do you need an SLI- capable mobo to do this? Or will a mobo with 2 PCI 2.0 16x slots do (IE -Crossfire)?

I've honestly no idea. In theory an SLI board shouldn't be required but you'll have to look into it.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Any news if/when we could expect a price cut on SSD drives?

I have a 500gb WD drive that's slow as shit. I would like to use it as storage and use a SSD for Windows and Apps but the price still isn't right for me.

I'm just wondering if there's anything in the pipeline anyone might know about? 64/128 at £70-99 would what I'm hoping for be the end of this year (sort of in time for Windows 7)

TheHeretic said:
No probs! Most gpus come with two dvi ports, the one I listed is no exception. It's designed to handle two monitors.

Edit: Just an addendum to my build. You should probably get this 4890 instead:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102841

Its factory overclocked and has a better cooler, which makes it quieter as well. Same price, better card! Instead of having dual DVI it has DVI, VGA and HDMI (one of each). You can convert HDMI or VGA easily to support a DVI monitor so its no big deal, but its something to consider. If you still want two DVI slots get this without the hassle of buying a converter:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150360

Still XFX, but factory overclocked. A bit of an oversight on my part.

Is the PSU going to push enough power to the Sapphire GPU you showed me? .

Reading the reviews someone stated this

"As stated previously, the card requires TWO power plugs directly from your computer's power supply. I am using a 1,000 watt PS. But, I think the minimum required is 650 watts. DO NOT UNDERPOWER THE CARD. This is not clear in the installation manual (which is on the Driver CD-ROM by the way)."

I just wanted to be certain before I started purchasing this stuff

Ceebs

StreetDisciple said:
Is the PSU going to push enough power to the Sapphire GPU you showed me? .

Reading the reviews someone stated this

"As stated previously, the card requires TWO power plugs directly from your computer's power supply. I am using a 1,000 watt PS. But, I think the minimum required is 650 watts. DO NOT UNDERPOWER THE CARD. This is not clear in the installation manual (which is on the Driver CD-ROM by the way)."

I just wanted to be certain before I started purchasing this stuff

I would say 80% of the people that write those reviews think more is always better in terms of power supplies. If you get one too big it will just end up wasting juice and raising your electric bill for power you never even used. A good 550W is more than enough for a single GPU.

Ceebs said:
I would say 80% of the people that write those reviews think more is always better in terms of power supplies. If you get one too big it will just end up wasting juice and raising your electric bill for power you never even used. A good 550W is more than enough for a single GPU.

Two guys claim it needs 650w to push it though, are they wrong? On a side note is this the same Ceebs from the PSUniverse board.

StreetDisciple said:
Two guys claim it needs 650w to push it though, are they wrong? On a side note is this the same Ceebs from the PSUniverse board.

Yes and no. A decent 500w PSU will power a 4890 just fine but a bargain budget 700w will probably blow up.

The 500w OCZ ModXstream would be a good choice as its cheap as chips yet still rather excellent.

Fwiw, if you're interested in picking up the new Batman game, most GTX 275s are shipping with it for free, so they might be a better buy if you're interested.

brain_stew said:
Just drop the 9600 as a PhysX card if it requires a PSU upgrade, its not worth it.

Could you link to your PSU please?
I honestly didn't know what I had 'til I checked just now. I seem to be running anAntec Earthwatts EA-500D. It only seems to have two PCI-E 6-pins, which is what the new card would use. I don't think I have any spare 4-pins to use the converters on, either.

EDIT: It came with the case I'm using.

Getting excited. First of my parts arrived today (bought from 2 online stores and one local store to get the cheapest possible prices :p). My CPU (Phenom II X4 940 black), tomorrow i can get the CPU cooler, and the rest of my build should arrive by the end of the week!

If the power supply starts up and dies right away it's probably defective, right?

I've taken everything out of the motherboard and removed the board from the case to rule out a short, but the power supply still cuts out a second after I hit the power button.

It spins right up and runs fine using the paperclip trick, so maybe its only dying when it actually has to pump some power out?

Anything obvious I'm missing? I'm probably RMAing this one and grabbing something locally tomorrow, otherwise.

Top Bottom