• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official "I need a new PC!!" 2009 Edition

StreetDisciple said:
Two guys claim it needs 650w to push it though, are they wrong? On a side note is this the same Ceebs from the PSUniverse board.

They are wrong. Shitty PSU's are inefficient and require stupid amounts of wattage to supply parts properly. More than that what matters most is the rail voltage: which is what your GPU needs, for example. Poorly made PSU's don't have ample voltage hindering your parts, so people wind up buying 750W $60 PSU's thinking they are the shit because the numbers are higher.

No single card setup requires anything above 500W, no matter what you throw in there barring an insane number of components like 6 HDD's and 3 Blu Ray players. You are always better off getting a rock solid, lower wattage PSU as its more efficient and does a better job of giving the important parts the voltages they need.

This is why you can get a 750W PSU for 60 bucks, and a 520W PSU for $120. One is inefficient and cheap, the other is super efficient and rock solid. Theres a happy medium there too, but good PSU's are usually in the 60-100 dollar range for a single GPU setup, barring any special deals or manufacturers being super competitive.

If a PSU is offering 800W for the same price Corsair is offering 450W, something is wrong there.

letsbereasonable said:
If the power supply starts up and dies right away it's probably defective, right?

I've taken everything out of the motherboard and removed the board from the case to rule out a short, but the power supply still cuts out a second after I hit the power button.

It spins right up and runs fine using the paperclip trick, so maybe its only dying when it actually has to pump some power out?

Anything obvious I'm missing? I'm probably RMAing this one and grabbing something locally tomorrow, otherwise.

If a PSU can't give components the power they need it shuts down. This could mean you have a bad PSU or it doesn't have enough power. Otherwise its just dying randomly and is faulty. Either way you should return it if nothing else is obviously causing the shutdowns.

If you are going local you really can't go wrong with anything by Corsair. Everything they make is pretty much perfect. They aren't the only good PSU's but by brand alone they've earned a lot of good will from PC builders for being reliable.

TheHeretic said:
If a PSU can't give components the power they need it shuts down. This could mean you have a bad PSU or it doesn't have enough power. Otherwise its just dying randomly and is faulty. Either way you should return it if nothing else is obviously causing the shutdowns.

Thanks, I got it to power a couple of the case fans while running the paperclip trick, but connecting the 20+4 pin power cable to an empty mainboard would result in the power supply immediately dying every time. Either way, not a great sign. Hopefully a different brand does the trick.

Also, while I've got you, I've got a 4890 that's going in this box, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to hunt down another power supply with 2 PCIE power connectors. Is there anything wrong with using the one that the power supply will give me and using a 2 ATX -> PCIE adapter for the other? I'm guessing no, but I'd rather not learn the hard way, lol.

letsbereasonable said:
Thanks, I got it to power a couple of the case fans while running the paperclip trick, but connecting the 20+4 pin power cable to an empty mainboard would result in the power supply immediately dying every time. Either way, not a great sign. Hopefully a different brand does the trick.

Also, while I've got you, I've got a 4890 that's going in this box, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to hunt down another power supply with 2 PCIE power connectors. Is there anything wrong with using the one that the power supply will give me and using a 2 ATX -> PCIE adapter for the other? I'm guessing no, but I'd rather not learn the hard way, lol.

Well any crossfire ready PSU is going to have at least 2 x 6 PCIE pin connectors, if not more.

Those 2 ATX to PCIE are pretty much designed exactly for that purpose as far as I know, so I don't see why that would be a problem! But really any crossfire ready PSU has all the PCIE you'll need: and even many that don't still have that option because ATi's latest does require it.

Firestorm

Argh I am so mad at myself. I didn't realize two of my rebates expired 21 days after purchase. My other ones are all 30 days. I lost $52 =[ $30 MIR for my PSU ($89.99 - $30 MIR for 700w OCZ ModXStream) and $22 on my RAM ($61.99 - $22 MIR for 4GB Corsair XMS2).

x.x

Thought I had way more time but I guess it's because I ordered my stuff on the 25th of July and got it on August 1st.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Firestorm said:
Argh I am so mad at myself. I didn't realize two of my rebates expired 21 days after purchase. My other ones are all 30 days. I lost $52 =[ $30 MIR for my PSU ($89.99 - $30 MIR for 700w OCZ ModXStream) and $22 on my RAM ($61.99 - $22 MIR for 4GB Corsair XMS2).

x.x

Thought I had way more time but I guess it's because I ordered my stuff on the 25th of July and got it on August 1st.
Try giving them a call... Corsair might do it.

Firestorm

Hazaro said:
Try giving them a call... Corsair might do it.
Rebates are set up in a way to screw you over any way they can. Corsair doesn't even do the rebates themselves as far as I can tell. All the companies seem to use external rebate companies.

Firestorm said:
Rebates are set up in a way to screw you over any way they can. Corsair doesn't even do the rebates themselves as far as I can tell. All the companies seem to use external rebate companies.

Theres a million stories of people not being able to get them, they are pretty unreliable.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Firestorm said:
I realize this, but give it a shot anyway.

TheExodu5 said:
I'm guessing the 7900GT is the faster card.

*checking benchmarks*

Seems like it's about 40% the speed of an HD 4670. Your 7900GT should definitely be the faster card, by a decent margin.

Thanks I'm gonna put it in and c-c-check out

So, i'm way out of the loop when it comes to processors.

Would it be worth me upgrading my core 2 e6600 overclocked at 3.3ghz to a core i7? or would it be better me just going for a normal quad core so i don't have to splash out on a new mobo. Or should i not bother at all...this is for gaming by the way.

fizzelopeguss said:
So, i'm way out of the loop when it comes to processors.

Would it be worth me upgrading my core 2 e6600 overclocked at 3.3ghz to a core i7? or would it be better me just going for a normal quad core so i don't have to splash out on a new mobo. Or should i not bother at all...this is for gaming by the way.

Not bother at all. Most games only use 2 cores, and are GPU limited. Too early for a jump in my opinion.

Doytch

OK, I was looking at some CPU scaling charts, and I wasn't really satisfied with the benefit an E8400 would give over my OCed E6600 (3-4 FPS != $200). So, I'm just gonna get a new graphics card and toss in two more GB of RAM for W7.

Q: I have the Sonata III, with the Antec EarthPower 500W PSU. It's a decent enough PSU, is at least 80% efficient (maybe 85-90%? Can't remember atm), and it seems like there'd be no problems with it running a 4890 or GTX 275. That said, I wanted to check if anyone here's running a similar setup and wanted to comment one way or another.

I'll be waiting until DX11 cards drop (please don't be a paper launch) to look for some price drops, though.

Doytch said:
OK, I was looking at some CPU scaling charts, and I wasn't really satisfied with the benefit an E8400 would give over my OCed E6600 (3-4 FPS != $200). So, I'm just gonna get a new graphics card and toss in two more GB of RAM for W7.

Q: I have the Sonata III, with the Antec EarthPower 500W PSU. It's a decent enough PSU, is at least 80% efficient (maybe 85-90%? Can't remember atm), and it seems like there'd be no problems with it running a 4890 or GTX 275. That said, I wanted to check if anyone here's running a similar setup and wanted to comment one way or another.

I'll be waiting until DX11 cards drop (please don't be a paper launch) to look for some price drops, though.

It'll be fine, that's a really good PSU.

Doytch said:

We have the same case/PSU combo. And we were just talking about that PSU the page before. :lol

TheExodu5

Banned
Meus Renaissance said:
Thanks I'm gonna put it in and c-c-check out

Run a benchmark before hand. Anything really. 3D Mark, CS Source, or just plain Fraps. That will give you a good idea of the performance difference.

If the difference is negligeable, then you may want to stick with the 4350 for lower power consumption and heat.

Hey gaf guru's i think i picked out my ram and mobo

GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD4P LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
Item #: N82E16813128374

OCZ Platinum 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
Item #: N82E16820227381

$354.98 + 20 dollars rebate

do you think i will have a problem with this mobo and ram pairing?
the ram has a latancy of cas 7. The asrock extreme was sold out so i decided to spend a little bit more on the mobo.

also i am thinking of getting

SAPPHIRE VAPOR-X 100269VXL Radeon HD 4890 1GB 256-bit GDDR5

but all the reviews says they are having cold boot problems, i have my corsair 650tx and it should be able to run that graphics card.

So what do you think gaf? for or against?

Fredescu

Technosteve said:
also i am thinking of getting

SAPPHIRE VAPOR-X 100269VXL Radeon HD 4890 1GB 256-bit GDDR5

but all the reviews says they are having cold boot problems, i have my corsair 650tx and it should be able to run that graphics card.

So what do you think gaf? for or against?
I'm trying to make this exact decision today. I'm buying it because my 4870 is away in RMA land and I don't want to have to RMA another card. It's hard to get a feel for how widespread the cold boot problem is. All the reviews gush over how good the cooler is.

Fredescu said:
I'm trying to make this exact decision today. I'm buying it because my 4870 is away in RMA land and I don't want to have to RMA another card. It's hard to get a feel for how widespread the cold boot problem is. All the reviews gush over how good the cooler is.

yeah i'm on the fence, there's free shipping and 5 dollars off also it's free shipping back to new egg if cold boots so i dunno. I really like the cooler design and look tho

I have the Toxic with my monitor connected through DVI and haven't had any problems. Not sure if the issue is with both models or just the Vapor X.

TheHeretic said:
They are wrong. Shitty PSU's are inefficient and require stupid amounts of wattage to supply parts properly. More than that what matters most is the rail voltage: which is what your GPU needs, for example. Poorly made PSU's don't have ample voltage hindering your parts, so people wind up buying 750W $60 PSU's thinking they are the shit because the numbers are higher.

Okay I went on ahead and bit the bullet and ordered the set up you recommended. Besides cold start complaints on the Sapphire card i am very optimistic. I'm real excited to join the PC world of gaming, along with just having a capable PC for my media needs. Hopefully everything comes to my crib by Friday afternoon so I can piece it together.

Thanks again

Atilac

evil solrac v3.0 said:
their prices are different. but i've dealt with cyber and they know what they're doing but DIY is the best way of course.... but their prices really cant be beat for what you get...
Regardless if the prices are different. Their the same company and have the same mailing address.

mr stroke

don't know if its been posted but here is a pic of the upcoming 5870x2 and rumored specs

11qtlwj.jpg

larger than 4870x2 single PCB
40nm 353mm^2 die x 2
19mm x 19mm at cost of $34 per die
1 6pin + 1 8pin PCI_E power connectors
DX11
3200SP
256bit bus x 2
80TMU x 2
32ROP x 2
1024/2048mb x 2 mem configs ???
~$500 MSRP
3dmark vantage performance:
(2x Cypress) theoretical P34xxx ???

GPU boner incoming :p

can't wait until the next round of cards in the next month or so. Finally Crysis maxed@60fps :)

Firestorm said:
Are you opposed to spending a little more on the video card?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814143183

I'm thinking it might be good to get a little more as 3D might be pushing your system harder than normal. It's $30 more for the GTX 275. Both come with Batman Arkham Asylum.
Oh, poo. That one sold out today. =(

So now I'm waffling between the $160 GTX260 and the $215 GTX275. I'm a bit concerned, since the 275 says it requires at least 550W PSU, and I only have that 500W. Those things are definitely meant to be listened to, right? Is it even worth the extra $55 for the 275 compared to the 260?

hey, bit of a computer building noob but Ive put together this system but would appreciate some advice before i buy, prices are in GBP

GTX 285 287
i7 920 206
Corsair 4GB DDR2 800 RAM 40
Seagate 1TB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 32MB Cache 63.80
Coolermaster CM690 Dominator Black Mid Tower Case - No PSU 60
Corsair 650W TX Series PSU 72
Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R iX58 Socket 1366 7.1 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard 133
DVD Drive 30
Vista Home Upgrade 7 87.2

its mostly for gaming. I play on 1440x900

cheers in advance

equap

Banned
Sir Hamish said:
hey, bit of a computer building noob but Ive put together this system but would appreciate some advice before i buy

GTX 285 287
i7 920 206
DVD Drive 30

cheers in advance
where you get the i7 920 for that price?

Firestorm

RocketDarkness, it is true now that I look at your PSU that it has 34W combined on the two 12V rails while the card wants 42W... I'm not too sure. I'm sure the BFG will be back in stock, but check with someone more knowledgeable than me on power requirements.

Sir Hamish, that build is overkill for 1440x900 but at the prices you listed, holy crap.

equap, I believe the i7 920 is $200 at Microcenter.

Fredescu

Technosteve said:
yeah i'm on the fence, there's free shipping and 5 dollars off also it's free shipping back to new egg if cold boots so i dunno. I really like the cooler design and look tho
Well, I bit the bullet and I'll be installing it tonight. The place I got it from has 7 day DOA so no biggy if it doesn't work I guess.

Firestorm said:
RocketDarkness, it is true now that I look at your PSU that it has 34W combined on the two 12V rails while the card wants 42W... I'm not too sure. I'm sure the BFG will be back in stock, but check with someone more knowledgeable than me on power requirements.
How do you figure that number out? I don't really know much about power supplies.

And are you talking about the 275s, or does the 260 also want 34+? Am I looking at a definite PSU upgrade here?

Sir Hamish said:
hey, bit of a computer building noob but Ive put together this system but would appreciate some advice before i buy, prices are in GBP

GTX 285 287
i7 920 206
DVD Drive 30

cheers in advance

Hey there.

For intels i7 you are going to need triple channel DDR3, you can't use dual channel DDR2 which is what you have there. Heres an example of what you need:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148246

I'd also go with an ATi 4890 over a 285 GTX, simply because the former is a lot cheaper whilst still being up there in terms of power, and the resolution you are playing at isn't all that demanding to begin with. I don't think the price increase to get to the 285 is worth it. An overclocked 4890 performers better than a stock 285, to illustrate the performance difference there.

Apart from that there aren't any real problems. The case is excellent, the PSU is a little overkill but good quality, the motherboard seems a good choice as well.

TheHeretic said:
Hey there.

For intels i7 you are going to need triple channel DDR3, you can't use dual channel DDR2 which is what you have there. Heres an example of what you need:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148246

I'd also go with an ATi 4890 over a 285 GTX, simply because the former is a lot cheaper whilst still being up there in terms of power, and the resolution you are playing at isn't all that demanding to begin with. I don't think the price increase to get to the 285 is worth it. An overclocked 4890 performers better than a stock 285, to illustrate the performance difference there.

Apart from that there aren't any real problems. The case is excellent, the PSU is a little overkill but good quality, the motherboard seems a good choice as well.

cool, thanks for the feedback, I will pick up the DDR3 ram instead

its actually quite pricey, and I read that intel are going to be going with two sockets for future products which will make the i7 quite costly to replace. Am i better off getting a different CPU?

StreetDisciple said:
Okay I went on ahead and bit the bullet and ordered the set up you recommended. Besides cold start complaints on the Sapphire card i am very optimistic. I'm real excited to join the PC world of gaming, along with just having a capable PC for my media needs. Hopefully everything comes to my crib by Friday afternoon so I can piece it together.

Thanks again

No problems man. The Sapphire card does have issues with being DOA but it is pretty much the best version of the 4890, having an amazing cooler. We'll just have to see how you go. Don't hesitate to PM me if you need any help, and when you get your parts just take your time and you'll be fine. Build your PC in a static free environment (i.e. not on carpet) and start by screwing the MOBO into the case and putting the PSU in its slot up the back. From there it really is pretty simple.

Check your motherboards manual as to which slots to put the ram in, they will be paired off into dual channels. Usually its even and odd, so slots 1-3 and 2-4 are where you want to put your RAM. Putting it in the wrong slot won't actually do any damage or anything, it'll just be a waste of performance.

Sir Hamish said:
cool, thanks for the feedback, I will pick up the DDR3 ram instead

its actually quite pricey, and I read that intel are going to be going with two sockets for future products which will make the i7 quite costly to replace. Am i better off getting a different CPU?

I made a build for StreetDisciple a page back who had a similar budget. That will save you quite a bit of money and will perform pretty much the same, though i7 is definately the top dog CPU line.

I don't know what you mean by two sockets, can you elaborate?

TheHeretic said:
I made a build for StreetDisciple a page back who had a similar budget. That will save you quite a bit of money and will perform pretty much the same, though i7 is definately the top dog CPU line.

I don't know what you mean by two sockets, can you elaborate?

I read it on a message board, and I didnt exactly understand, it was just a cause for concern.

The impression I got was that the poster believed Intel are going to have two CPU lines that connect to different motherboard sockets or something (as in AGP or PCI-E i think), and it means i7 processors will be much more expensive to upgrade in the future. or something, who knows :lol technobabble

i will check out that build, cheers

Fredescu said:
Well, I bit the bullet and I'll be installing it tonight. The place I got it from has 7 day DOA so no biggy if it doesn't work I guess.

we can be DOA buddies. i also ordered it too, my friends like it's 50 percent 1 egg on newegg i go i know but the fan looks too cool :lol

i think hamish is thinking of the new i5's and i7's is going to be dual channel ram only no tripple channel.

Firestorm

Sir Hamish said:
oh god GBP that makes everything on there super expensive again just like they're supposed to be XD

RocketDarkness said:
How do you figure that number out? I don't really know much about power supplies.

And are you talking about the 275s, or does the 260 also want 34+? Am I looking at a definite PSU upgrade here?

GTX 260 says in the Newegg specs:
(Minimum recommended power supply with +12 Volt current rating of 36 Amp Amps.)

Your PSU says in its output section on Newegg:
+3.3V@24A,+5V@24A,+12V1@17A,+12V2@17A,-12V@0.8A, +5VSB@2.5A
You combine the two +12V to get what you'd be putting into your Video Card since it takes both connectors. 17 + 17 = 34

Although I'd say good PSU companies like Antec and good video card companies like EVGA give a good bit of leeway. I don't think anyone's had trouble running a GTX 260 on it.

If I'm wrong about something, someone should correct me.

Firestorm said:
oh god GBP that makes everything on there super expensive again just like they're supposed to be XD

GTX 260 says in the Newegg specs:
(Minimum recommended power supply with +12 Volt current rating of 36 Amp Amps.)

Your PSU says in its output section on Newegg:
+3.3V@24A,+5V@24A,+12V1@17A,+12V2@17A,-12V@0.8A, +5VSB@2.5A
You combine the two +12V to get what you'd be putting into your Video Card since it takes both connectors. 17 + 17 = 34

Although I'd say good PSU companies like Antec and good video card companies like EVGA give a good bit of leeway. I don't think anyone's had trouble running a GTX 260 on it.

If I'm wrong about something, someone should correct me.
Hmm, okay. Thanks for the PSU lesson, Firestorm. =D

I take it that replacing the CPU and getting the 275 probably isn't worth it, compared to simply getting the 260? That's the vibe I'm getting, but I'm fairly terrible at comparing fairly close graphics card numbers. :lol

allreal

uh hi everyone. ima newb at this computer stuff i have a hp desktop a1330n that i had forever. and i recently got a new geforce vc and

i was wondering if i would be able to play the latest and greatest pc games on it.

so maybe i could get just a simple yes or no question.

AMD Athlon 64 2.4 GHz
1.94 gigs of ram? which i assume is 2?
Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition
geforce 8800 oc gts 512mb

i had to buy a new power supply so i am unable to test anything. im just wondering if everything will run okay?

maybe i could get examples of a game and how high i can put the setting?

thanks in advance.

allreal said:
uh hi everyone. ima newb at this computer stuff i have a hp desktop a1330n that i had forever. and i recently got a new geforce vc and

i was wondering if i would be able to play the latest and greatest pc games on it.

so maybe i could get just a simple yes or no question.

AMD Athlon 64 2.4 GHz
1.94 gigs of ram? which i assume is 2?
Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition
geforce 8800 oc gts 512mb

i had to buy a new power supply so i am unable to test anything. im just wondering if everything will run okay?

maybe i could get examples of a game and how high i can put the setting?

thanks in advance.

GPU is fine, RAM amount is fine with XP, but your processor is dated. Its a single core and its pretty slow, and will be bottleneck in many games. I honestly can't say how well you'd do in the latest games, but I could see problems arising.

TofuEater

Sir Hamish said:

GTX 285 287
i7 920 206
DVD Drive 30

cheers in advance

Might want to buy a aftermarketer cooler for the i7 if you like silent pc's. Noctua's are nice.

Did seagate fix the HDD failure issue yet?

Sir Hamish said:

GTX 285 287
i7 920 206
DVD Drive 30

cheers in advance

The GTX 285 is horrible value, especially considering you're running a resolution where a 4850 would more than suffice. Get a GTX 275 instead, you won't notice the difference in eprformance at all, but you will like the extra £100 in your back pocket.

I'd go with a WD CAVIAR BLACK or Samsung F1 HDD instead, Seagate HDDs have been very dodgy of late.

You need 3x 2GB DDR3 for your Core i7 rig, that memory won't work.

RocketDarkness said:
Hmm, okay. Thanks for the PSU lesson, Firestorm. =D

I take it that replacing the CPU and getting the 275 probably isn't worth it, compared to simply getting the 260? That's the vibe I'm getting, but I'm fairly terrible at comparing fairly close graphics card numbers. :lol

An Earthwatts 500w will run a GTX 275 just fine, don't worry.

Fredescu

Fredescu said:
Success! Booted first time.
...and then crashed while loading a game, and then failed too boot at all after that. It works fine through HDMI though, so I don't know what I'm going to do. I might wait until my 4870 comes back and RMA this one. The fan is nice.

Top Bottom