• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Madden '13 Xbox 360 Online Franchise Thread: A chance to develop a dynasty!

McNei1y

lol, probably the dumbest game of Madden I've ever participated in.

And before you clowns accuse me of running it up, the game was pretty much always a one score game. I'd get a lead, throw a pick 6, or he'd get a KR TD, it was silly. So there's no way I was letting off the gas until I was at least two scores ahead. :p

I'm not using this post to accuse you of anything since but just clarifying that you held a 12 point lead for pretty much the second half.

He was either running it or throwing short passes. My shitty defense just couldn't stop it.

Sigh.

I'm not using this post to accuse you of anything since but just clarifying that you held a 12 point lead for pretty much the second half.

He was either running it or throwing short passes. My shitty defense just couldn't stop it.

Sigh.

You know what you need to do

McNei1y

What was the score?

44-63 or something like that

whatever happened to playing defense!?

I was playing defense. I was playing some of the best defense in the second quarter (the score was already 21-21). I got a pick or two in this quarter along with plenty of rushing the QB moments. I managed to go up by 10 at half... then madden hit me. Turnovers galore and horrible coverage. Corners not covering receivers on comeback routes. Then when the receiver caught the ball, the CB would either miss a tackle or be to far away to get to the receiver which allowed more space for more YAC.

When do I start to play these terrible defenses?

Whenever you play me... which you don't.

It's disheartening to see that I am 1-7 in this league with the worst defense, turnovers all over the place, and a shitty line. In the communities I was playing much better than what this league is showing and I know that. This just sucks!

McNei1y

It's almost like Community doesn't matter and people don't try in it

Well, the run game definitely seems different somehow. The run game has always been one of my strong positions and it's worked for me in past leagues. The communities I was running all over the place. But when you take that away from me in this league, I got nothin.

LukeSmith

Well, the run game definitely seems different somehow. The run game has always been one of my strong positions and it's worked for me in past leagues. The communities I was running all over the place. But when you take that away from me in this league, I got nothin.

It's almost like your other league is full of Balb-tier scrubs

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
NINE touchdowns for Big Ben?

YYbNf.gif

McNei1y

so there were no late passing TD's or anything?

Nah. It was pretty fair. I just did completely awful. It was a "close" game throughout. My tds were just spread out (passing tds, two KR tds, a pick six or two). He probably didnt want to get all dem TDs but he has no choice when its there for the taking since my guys gave wide open gaps or failed to play a guy close.

Like I said earlier, a couple of man to man fails when DBs dont react to comebacks lead to a few sideline gains. Some others were broken coverage in zone which lead to some wide open spaces in the field. Etc.

Most of it was just me playing some bad D.

i think it is becoming an epidemic with poor defense and questionable offense in the league. i mean jesus christ we have multiple people with over 20 int's already!

i don't know if the answer is lowering INT's or putting together some kind of strategy guide to help people with defense or lower the quarter length or what. you can make fun of me for having an auto D but i guarantee you that you could give me the worst D in the league and i wouldn't be giving up these numbers. i'm not trying to brag or be a dick about it but god damn we need to get this shit on the level. you have a high degree of people playing awful defense and chucking 5, 6, 7 picks per game and not giving a fuck.

so i'd like to hear any ideas on how to improve play. this is supposed to be as much of a sim league as possible but 9 passing TD's and 600+ yards is a fucking joke

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
i think it is becoming an epidemic with poor defense and questionable offense in the league. i mean jesus christ we have multiple people with over 20 int's already!

i don't know if the answer is lowering INT's or putting together some kind of strategy guide to help people with defense or lower the quarter length or what. you can make fun of me for having an auto D but i guarantee you that you could give me the worst D in the league and i wouldn't be giving up these numbers. i'm not trying to brag or be a dick about it but god damn we need to get this shit on the level. you have a high degree of people playing awful defense and chucking 5, 6, 7 picks per game and not giving a fuck.

so i'd like to hear any ideas on how to improve play. this is supposed to be as much of a sim league as possible but 9 passing TD's and 600+ yards is a fucking joke

At some point you just play 2 Man and let the CPU control the linebacker or something, right? I mean there has to be an awareness of "Im blowing it, i need to let the AI do this"

LukeSmith

Time to introduce "Relegation" like European Soccer.

i am completely willing to help in any way that i can anyone who wants advice on defense or offense or anything else. i'm not a great manual D player like cb or rors (or like DM used to be) but i have always been able to manufacture a decent defense, even before the 2012 49ers auto-D bailed me out!

LukeSmith

i am completely willing to help in any way that i can anyone who wants advice on defense or offense or anything else. i'm not a great manual D player like cb or rors (or like DM used to be) but i have always been able to manufacture a decent defense, even before the 2012 49ers auto-D bailed me out!

It's literally about what people call. I play such a boring ass version of defense, super vanilla mix of coverages and I rarely blitz.

Trasher

I like this post.

It pains me to see a rapist with an NFL record.

Trasher

It's literally about what people call. I play such a boring ass version of defense, super vanilla mix of coverages and I rarely blitz.

I think it has to sort of do with the mentalities like Bluemax's last night. People think the game is over after they are down two scores and just start making dumb calls.

People also love their stats. I know I get caught up in them too, but after you play a game against CB or Luke it makes me wish I could play D like they do. The game actually feels legit when they play. They factor in shit like time of possession and ball control using a great balance of play calling on offense. They just care about the W. Not the stats. I wanna be that good. :(

LukeSmith

Yeah, we shouldn't let the Livewires of the world off the hook, he was going for it in retarded situations backed up in his game against Smokey earlier this season.

I have no clue what some people are doing out there, what would help? How can we help

bluemax

Banned
I think it has to sort of do with the mentalities like Bluemax's last night. People think the game is over after they are down two scores and just start making dumb calls.

People also love their stats. I know I get caught up in them too, but after you play a game against CB or Luke it makes me wish I could play D like they do. The game actually feels legit when they play. They factor in shit like time of possession and ball control using a great balance of play calling on offense. They just care about the W. Not the stats. I wanna be that good. :(

I didn't think it was over down 14-0, I just felt I had very little momentum and the game was slipping away. I was on my third drive already and had yet to convert a third down, you were stacking 7-8 guys in the box on first and second down which forced me to throw in longer yardage situations which is absolutely the last thing I want to do on offense.

I *think* after playing you, I know what it would take to stop your offensive play calling, the problem is I'm not good enough at doing it consistently for it to make a difference.

I will admit to having games where I did exactly what CB suggested and saying "fuck it, let the AI do the work" and swapping to my worst defensive tackle and hoping for the best. I'm trying to get away from that because I know the only way I'll get better in this league is to be a quality manual defender at either safety or mlb (to be elite I'd have to be like Rors who can make instant perfect switches).

Yeah, we shouldn't let the Livewires of the world off the hook, he was going for it in retarded situations backed up in his game against Smokey earlier this season.

I have no clue what some people are doing out there, what would help? How can we help

Hmm, my biggest issues on defense are probably stopping good tight ends/slot guys, and figuring out what to do against really good running attacks like San Francisco or St Louis. I tried playing more zone to stop the running attacks thinking it would keep my defenders looking in the right direction at least, but my guys either couldn't get off blocks, or the other teams backs went right up the middle for 4-5 yards. The only thing I've found for tight ends is playing manual D and shadowing dudes on the obvious routes.

Also if we're dropping knowledge, the deep streak down the middle of the field, is that possible to complete or will the safety always beat my receiver if they're 1 on 1? And throwing to the flats, are their ways to identify when a guy is gonna come out of nowhere and pick those? I mean I know I throw a shit ton of bad picks to the flats, but there's a small percent where I feel like a dude makes a super human play on the ball.

here are the issues i've seen with people playing defense. take it for what it is:

1. a lot of people don't have discipline. whoever you are controlling, you have a job to do along with 10 other guys. i've seen people use LB, and on the snap they try to dart to the outside immediately.... leaving the middle cut back wide open. why? what did this gain for you? there is no point in jetting to the outside immediately. first off, in most instances you already have guys out there. now maybe they get eaten up by blocks and maybe they don't. just be patient as the LB and when the RB makes his move then you make yours. you can't compromise your entire D by vacating the middle because you think the RB is headed outside at the snap. if you shoot the gap and try to stop the RB in the backfield you better be sure to get him.

2. same with pass defense. if you are playing a zone, play your zone. it doesn't need to be by the book "i have to stay here!" but if you gamble on jumping a route you better be sure because if you leave that zone and you were wrong, then there is a huge hole in your D. we all laugh at "just hold Y" but dont be afraid to do this as you are patrolling your zone. watch the receivers that are in your area, DONT get caught watching what the QB is doing. i have been guilty a few times of taking a peek at the QB because i thought i saw my d-line closing in and then i lose concentration on my zone and bam i get burned.

3. mix up your coverages and do your best to disguise coverage! i'm not going to tell you specifically the things i like to do but playing all 2 deep man or playing all zone or always blitzing or NEVER blitzing is not a key for success. pick your blitzes at a good time because a good player will take advantage of a crappy blitz. try out some zone blitzing, man blitzes, etc. i like to run a lot of cover 3 variations. sometimes this gets me in trouble, but sometimes people are expecting one thing and when it turns out to be a zone blitz at the snap they panic and make a bad throw. the same thing on disgusing via playing bump coverage or playing off.

4. DONT PANIC on defense and make your opponent earn their points. if someone is dinking and dunking you down the field you can change accordingly to combat it but dont do anything that is going to give them an easy TD. sometimes you have to take some hits early to feel out what your opponent is trying to do. maybe it leads to an early FG or maybe it leads to a long TD drive early in the game but the point is you are gathering information early on how it's going to play out and make your adjustments as needed. it very much becomes a cat and mouse games with regards to playing man or zone. you play off on the receivers, your opponent may audible to a comeback route. but what if you are playing off with a nickle CB or LB dropping underneath the route (with a purple route) to dissuade from throwing that comeback? often times, by the time they realize what the coverage is and go to their next read, the d-line or blitz is on them and there is no play.

5. it is a long game. there is no reason to start chucking the ball down field every play when you are down by 10 or 14 or more in the first half. the odds are, your opponent is going to play it a bit safer and there will be some underneath routes or some running lanes. again be patient and just get back into the game. you put yourself in an even worse position by handing out picks like candy to your opponent. there is nothing wrong with punting the ball and playing sound defense. you get ridiculous scores when you start throwing taints and giving the opponent a short field

LukeSmith

Hmm, my biggest issues on defense are probably stopping good tight ends/slot guys, and figuring out what to do against really good running attacks like San Francisco or St Louis. I tried playing more zone to stop the running attacks thinking it would keep my defenders looking in the right direction at least, but my guys either couldn't get off blocks, or the other teams backs went right up the middle for 4-5 yards. The only thing I've found for tight ends is playing manual D and shadowing dudes on the obvious routes.

Also if we're dropping knowledge, the deep streak down the middle of the field, is that possible to complete or will the safety always beat my receiver if they're 1 on 1? And throwing to the flats, are their ways to identify when a guy is gonna come out of nowhere and pick those? I mean I know I throw a shit ton of bad picks to the flats, but there's a small percent where I feel like a dude makes a super human play on the ball.

I think almost everyone is a one-read player or at least slips into it (I definitely have games where I can't get anything going and get into a rut and can't make a read to save my life). Storybook - who beat me yesterday - had a guy get open a few times and he hit the same route a couple times out of a formation, when he came out in that formation, I assigned a guy, who has an already-existing assignment, to cover that particular player.

Then the re-assigned player's responsibility becomes my responsibility to user. Maybe I'll do that by buzzing an end to that side of of the field to take the flat away while I stay at safety, maybe I'll put a De in a hook zone and then user the DE after the assignment.

LukeSmith

Let's go one further with this:

Someone posted stats earlier today about league receiving data, Somnia's wide receiver Kendall Wright is third in the league in receiving. I play Somnia next.

In game I can look at the depth chart and see where Kendall Wright is -- I haven't actually looked yet, but if I was a betting man, I'd bet Kendall Wright lines up in the slot.

Knowing that going into my game will inform what I want to call against him. Maybe on the first defensive series of the game, I'll put Vontae at Nickel, or maybe I'll set up Dime to put strong corners on the inside and bad corners on the outside.

I also know Somnia recently had a huge game with Chris Johnson (on the heels of trying to trade him, even!), I'll usually try and track down who it was against and ask that person what Somnia did -- I haven't done this, but I'm guessing it was 99% to the outside or off tackle and probably to the strong side of the field. So when I see Somnia in running formations, I'll try and take away where I think he's going to go (outside).

I haven't looked at anything else yet, really. But I usually do to see what people are doing.

bluemax

Banned
I think almost everyone is a one-read player or at least slips into it (I definitely have games where I can't get anything going and get into a rut and can't make a read to save my life). Storybook - who beat me yesterday - had a guy get open a few times and he hit the same route a couple times out of a formation, when he came out in that formation, I assigned a guy, who has an already-existing assignment, to cover that particular player.

Then the re-assigned player's responsibility becomes my responsibility to user. Maybe I'll do that by buzzing an end to that side of of the field to take the flat away while I stay at safety, maybe I'll put a De in a hook zone and then user the DE after the assignment.

Yeah I have no idea what sorts of pre snap adjustments to make in given situations. I've been playing long enough to spot a lot of plays, but I don't really know what to do to stop them.

Rorschach

I see lots of guys playing zone coverage to stop the run. You can't just have 4 guys rush and let everyone sit back in coverage. The safeties will be way out most of the time. Stack the box and send more than your DL. The run blitzes are there to help you stop the run. :p

With SF, I would suggest blitzing the middle and containing outside yourself. FMT will always cut it outside no matter what and he will get the edge because his tackles are splendiferous. Especially to the right. Don't follow his path. You'll be completely out of position. Follow his cut if you must, but maintain your assignment if possible.

Vernon Davis is fucking retarded. There is no way to stop him besides praying. Double coverage on TE is wonky because they compete against each other instead of working with each other to stop him. They'll both end up trailing him or leaving him completely alone. I suggest cover 1 if you can get to the QB on time because he will usually wait 10 days for the drag to develop and he will have that time. 3-3-5 cover 1 used to eat him alive, but I no longer have it in my book!

Depends on the safety. Most of the time, that pass is not gonna work. If you can wait long enough and chuck it deep after your WR has reached the safety, your WR can outrun the safety. There usually isn't that much time, though. If I see a scrub safety, I'm gonna challenge him all day. If I see a guy like Berry, I'm not even going to try. I did today and it cost me!

You will know if the flats are open almost immediately. If there's a guy over there at all, it's a risky throw. If he's behind the receiver, you can complete it, but you won't get much. If he's running towards the receiver from the middle, you got yourself a throw and some yac.

I tried that the last few games, it didn't help at all!
Here are a few tips that will make things harder for me, but will help y'all out!

Blitzing works against 90% of the league. Do it. Don't be scared to blitz on third down. People just sit back on third and long. It's the complete opposite of most good defenses.

Rush 3? Sweet, I'll just kick back and let my routes develop. Granted, my WRs are retards, and they might not get open for a while, but I can shift left or right all day to avoid pressure and eventually find someone.

But if I rush the passer, they might get a completion! Yeah, but it'll have to be a quick throw. Can WRs get open 10+ yards down the field in time? And can the QB react to it fast enough? Looking at the QB numbers, I doubt it!

Send guys to help against the run. You maroons bought in to 2 man deep and now it's so fucking easy to run right up the gut. You do realize that your LBs will look at the receivers they are assigned to first before going after the RB, right? You realize that the safeties will drop back into their zones before reacting to the play, right? Stack that fucking box unless you have Patrick Willis.

Vary your play calling, BUT throw in plays that look similar at the start and use more than one play per formation. Plenty of people get fooled because they think they've seen X coverage before and it'll turn out to be Y. Zone blitzes are your friend.

And that's pretty much how to beat me. Hopefully, no one in my division is reading this.

Sokantish

It seems like my blitzes NEVER work, but maybe that's because I don't do it enough. I get discouraged from blitzing because it seems like on the few attempts I do try I never get through and I give up a big gain, but I guess I do that anyway so it wouldn't hurt to try blitzing more often.

Trasher

Don't be scared to blitz on third down.

I find that I give up huge plays whenever I blitz. I used to blitz a lot but I have toned it down to the point where I might blitz 3 or 4 times max in a single game. I think the main problem with me blitzing someone is that it can be too obvious. Especially to a well-skilled vet who seems to always have the right audible for that scenario. Then I get burned for a big play/TD.

This thread right now:
main.php

It seems like my blitzes NEVER work, but maybe that's because I don't do it enough. I get discouraged from blitzing because it seems like on the few attempts I do try I never get through and I give up a big gain, but I guess I do that anyway so it wouldn't hurt to try blitzing more often.

you don't have to jailhouse blitz every time. sometimes you send the blitz and just have to hope your opponent doesn't find the open man (if there is one) before the blitz gets there. you can manually cover up a lot of mistakes that your D might make

LukeSmith

I find that I give up huge plays whenever I blitz. I used to blitz a lot but I have toned it down to the point where I might blitz 3 or 4 times max in a single game. I think the main problem with me blitzing someone is that it can be too obvious. Especially to a well-skilled vet who seems to always have the right audible for that scenario. Then I get burned for a big play/TD.

This thread right now:
main.php

Bluemax is definitely the girl, all his PMS lately

Rorschach

What makes a play a run blitz versus a pass blitz? The formation?

In Madden? Basically. :p I don't like stunting the ends on runs, though. I will do it, but I generally don't like it.

As FMT said, you don't have to send the house. Also, send your best guys. If you have a guy that is better at blitzing than most, send that guy first. I find that people don't like to leave their backs in to block which leaves them susceptible to edge blitzes. Or, shit, just have a couple guys shoot a gap and play the numbers game.

Just don't blitz the following teams because it's fruitless:

Texans/49ers/Patriots: line too beastly
Colts: Player too elite
Eagles: QB too elusive

Speaking of elusive QBs, remind me in a week to tell you guys something I used to love to do to scramblers. It's hilarious and works every time.

Top Bottom