• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Madden '13 Xbox 360 Online Franchise Thread: A chance to develop a dynasty!

well i discussed it with luke and since this hands on "babying" approach hasn't worked in regards to running up the score/stat padding, we'll do the exact opposite. MINIMUM number of "rules". you want to be an asshole and run the score up? you want to be a fucking douchebag and stat pad against the CPU like ramirez? have at it!

what a lot of people don't realize is that some of the rules that were in place in those regards were to protect people from being destroyed. but it's pretty evident in talking to people and seeing the posts here that no one wants to be protected from that stuff. so be it!

i'm not saying FYIDM every game all game, i still want people to have some respect for their opponents and play realistically but we aren't going to suspend players over somewhat subjective things. i especially didn't want to give smokey or anyone else an advantage in a playoff game for something ramirez did against the CPU. yes it was sleazy and shameful but it was against the CPU. no one was really hurt by it. this isn't like throwing the controller to reset the game or rage quitting.

there are still rules in regards to NOT manual blitzing a LB. that is not likely to ever change! i have also noticed that some people have made user catches. i'm indifferent on user controlled WR catching so i'd like to hear some feedback on that. do you guys care? do you want user catching to continue to be banned?

Rorschach

Wow. You guys presume someone broke the rules (he didn't) and then go ahead and remove those rules... I don't want to be in a shitbag league. Numbers are already high enough too. You guys really need more?

User catching is broken. Shit, cpu catching with certain receivers is broken. But yeah, you guys are right, we need higher offensive numbers this year. You should do what Luke suggested earlier in the season and turn down coverages too.

LJ11

well i discussed it with luke and since this hands on "babying" approach hasn't worked in regards to running up the score/stat padding, we'll do the exact opposite. MINIMUM number of "rules". you want to be an asshole and run the score up? you want to be a fucking douchebag and stat pad against the CPU like ramirez? have at it!

what a lot of people don't realize is that some of the rules that were in place in those regards were to protect people from being destroyed. but it's pretty evident in talking to people and seeing the posts here that no one wants to be protected from that stuff. so be it!

i'm not saying FYIDM every game all game, i still want people to have some respect for their opponents and play realistically but we aren't going to suspend players over somewhat subjective things. i especially didn't want to give smokey or anyone else an advantage in a playoff game for something ramirez did against the CPU. yes it was sleazy and shameful but it was against the CPU. no one was really hurt by it. this isn't like throwing the controller to reset the game or rage quitting.

there are still rules in regards to NOT manual blitzing a LB. that is not likely to ever change! i have also noticed that some people have made user catches. i'm indifferent on user controlled WR catching so i'd like to hear some feedback on that. do you guys care? do you want user catching to continue to be banned?

I've been an advocate of manually catching in the past, but if we open it up it's going to be tough to defend, if you want me to demonstrate in a scrim I'm down. It's incredibly difficult to stop TEs as is, you open up manually catching and it'll be nothing but seam passes. Pass lead is too deadly, same with manually caught comebacks.

Edit: Sluggos too.

Wow. You guys presume someone broke the rules (he didn't) and then go ahead and remove those rules... I don't want to be in a shitbag league. Numbers are already high enough too. You guys really need more?

User catching is broken. Shit, cpu catching with certain receivers is broken. But yeah, you guys are right, we need higher offensive numbers this year. You should do what Luke suggested earlier in the season and turn down coverages too.

it's not a shitbag league. slider adjustments will be tested out in pre-season and i've got some ideas on what should be decreased (QB accuracy for one!). the only time ive seen user catching is when someone was already open so i dont know how effective it is otherwise and the only time i saw it was against the cards

I'm still against manual user catches and I'm with CB, this seems a weird way to go.

weird in what way? we're just going back to how it was before. i'm tired of micromanaging shit. i'm not telling people to run up the score, just to be respectful of your opponent. im not going to suspend players. if there are too many rules people complain. if there aren't enough rules people complain. if this happens people complain, if that happens people complain.

just play as close to sim ball as you can and be respectful towards your opponent

Rorschach

it's not a shitbag league. slider adjustments will be tested out in pre-season and i've got some ideas on what should be decreased (QB accuracy for one!). the only time ive seen user catching is when someone was already open so i dont know how effective it is otherwise and the only time i saw it was against the cards

That's right. It's not. You guys are actively trying to fix shit that isn't broken.

[edit]You should have said something to him when he was user catching... I guess getting rid of the rules is easier than enforcing them.

QB Accuracy going down? Ponder already misses my WRs by like 10 yards sometimes :(
Sorry, you should have drafted Andrew Luck. Suck it, bitch!

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
"tired of micro managing everything"

Can we get a commissioner who will actually take time to figure out the best way to go about things instead of someone who will just throw new shit against the wall every week to see what sticks?

LJ11

I wish there was some way to knock a pass down with a receiver, we all throw shit passes from time to time and it would be nice to play DB with a WR. Can understand a guy clicking on to knock down a bad pass or even try to catch it, but if we go full on manual it's going to increase the passing numbers. Love to manually catch, but I truly feel it's over powered with pass lead.

Edit: Not sure why but it feels like we had less issues in past seasons, seems like there's something popping up every other week.

That's right. It's not. You guys are actively trying to fix shit that isn't broken.

Sorry, you should have drafted Andrew Luck. Suck it, bitch!

well this is the first year in madden where we have online sliders so maybe some slider adjustments could help! pre-season is a good time to test it out!

Rorschach

I wish there was some way to knock a pass down with a receiver, we all throw shit passes from time to time and it would be nice to play DB with a WR. Can understand a guy clicking on to knock down a bad pass or even try to catch it, but if we go full on manual, it's going to increase the passing numbers. Love to manually catch, but I truly feel it's over powered with pass lead.

Tipped balls are already fair game at least.

BigAT

So basically the timeline is:

1. Ramirez got gaudy stats against the CPU.
2. ???
3. Fuck it, no more rules

WHAT THE FUCK WAS STEP 2?! I'm having an incredibly difficult time figuring out how one thing somehow caused the other.

Splat

weird in what way? we're just going back to how it was before. i'm tired of micromanaging shit. i'm not telling people to run up the score, just to be respectful of your opponent. im not going to suspend players. if there are too many rules people complain. if there aren't enough rules people complain. if this happens people complain, if that happens people complain.

just play as close to sim ball as you can and be respectful towards your opponent

Weird in that it seemed like "don't play for exp" rules were doing well once they started having bite, and now we're flipping a bitch.

E: Basically What BigAT said.

Mrbob

Someone who isn't a bottom feeder breaks the rules = there are no more rules

LJ, how does manually catching work with one on one press?

I'm thinking I can make some people pay for pressing marshall if I can manual catch with him one on one.

CB3

So basically the timeline is:

1. Ramirez got gaudy stats against the CPU.
2. ???
3. Fuck it, no more rules

WHAT THE FUCK WAS STEP 2?! I'm having an incredibly difficult time figuring out how one thing somehow caused the other.

2. Empty threats/laziness.

Sokantish

Weird in that it seemed like "don't play for exp" rules were doing well once they started having bite, and now we're flipping a bitch.

E: Basically What BigAT said.

Actually they only started having bite to certain people. Which let other people get further ahead in stats that didn't care about the threat of punishment, like RAM.

BigAT

Also the "we didn't want to have any effect on the playoffs" followed by saying user catches are allowed right before the playoffs start, with NO TIME to see their effect on the league, seems utterly ridiculous.

Rorschach

Someone who isn't a bottom feeder breaks the rules = there are no more rules

LJ, how does manually catching work with one on one press?

I'm thinking I can make some people pay for pressing marshall if I can manual catch with him one on one.

It works the same as any year. If you want to make easy receptions, and manual catch is an option, then just lob it. User defense doesn't have the priority, so even those Y holders will see their DBs run in circles. It has to be one of those hanging lobs, though. Works best on comebacks.

Mrbob

This league:

down-the-drain.jpg

We couldn't even finish one season before all hell breaks loose!

Thanks for the tip, Rors! I've actually haven't attempted a manual catch in years.

You said the only rule that's definitely still around is manual LB blitzing and that you've seen people doing user catches but don't care.

lulz i asked for opinions on it. i've only seen it in one game and didn't notice much of a difference.... which is why i asked for opinions on it! god forbid i get some input from league players. never did i say "manual catching is in!"

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Me personally, I think making someone bench a key guy or two for the playoffs is a good punishment, it's one that actually has good repercussions to it making it an effective punishment.

Whatever you guys want to do ill do but I just think its awesome that someone that was complaining about dl play being an exploit (lol) is the one bending all of the rules and forcing this nonsense.

Nightz

Manual catching will make me crappier than I already am. I have no stick control.

Also, I'd be scared to death if any of our commishes ever became the president.

BigAT

lulz i asked for opinions on it. i've only seen it in one game and didn't notice much of a difference.... which is why i asked for opinions on it! god forbid i get some input from league players. never did i say "manual catching is in!"

You said it wasn't out. What's the difference?

I'm still trying to figure out what prompted this. Seems completely out of left field and has no reason.

Me personally, I think making someone bench a key guy or two for the playoffs is a good punishment, it's one that actually has good repercussions to it making it an effective punishment.

Whatever you guys want to do ill do but I just think its awesome that someone that was complaining about dl play being an exploit (lol) is the one bending all of the rules and forcing this nonsense.

well the real spirit of the "rule" was not to embarrass your opponent by running the score up. the more i thought about it, the more that this is the equivalent of a CPU game in NCAA or elsewhere. so i'm going to hand a playoff win to smokey or the divisional opponent if ramirez wins that game for what? because ramirez got more yards against a CPU opponent than what he should have?

CB had an insane amount of rushing yards in his blowout game against the CPU cowboys. was this stat padding? "since it's running the ball it isn't!" he had 6 rushing TD's in his last game with mccoy in a blowout. was this stat padding? "why was mccoy even in in the 4th quarter!" i can make a case either way if i really wanted to

then it comes down to what is running up the score, what is stat padding. "well FMT said i could pass all i want through 3 quarters!" "fmt said if i run it it's not stat padding!" "fmt you said this you said that!" like i said earlier i'm tired of micro managing shit. "OH NOW you're telling me when i can run and when i can pass! NOW you're telling me when i can go for it on 4th and when i can't! why dont you just play the game for me then!" etc etc

one person complains about too many rules, another person complains about not enough rules. defense is too good, offense isn't good enough. i'm spending more time dealing with stupid fucking situations than actually playing the game or concentrating on the games

CB3

My game against mcnulty was an actual game in the third quarter. And I put Bryce brown in after it was a blowout. Suck my dick.

You said it wasn't out. What's the difference?

I'm still trying to figure out what prompted this. Seems completely out of left field and has no reason.

where did i say it wasn't out? "CONTINUE TO BE BANNED" as in, it is banned, should it continue to be banned? give me your feedback!

but i guess you can read it anyway you like. ZOMG HE SAID HE WAS INDIFFERENT ON USER CATCHING AND ASKED LEAGUE MEMBERS WHAT THEIR EXPERIENCES WERE! HE SAID IT'S OK!

DCX

DCX
I complained about user catching when it happened to me against the Cards. He said it was habit and will try not to use it.

If the Cards was Smokey's team he would have lost his team.

As much as I get shit for what I did I can't believe for the life if me that rules that have been in place longer than I have been in the league ( '06 ) are going to be jettisoned because the punishment is too harsh given the circumstances.

Ram needed 167 yards to beat the record. He didn't just want the record. He wanted the MVP and sis what most wouldn't to get it.

Bird sat his starters the last two games out of respect and intelligence ( injury risk ) I don't see eye to eye with CB many times but he is right on the fucking money.

If you want to change rules and stuff then make them go into effect season 2. You can't say fuck it week 17 and everyone played by the rules the 16 prior weeks.

DCX

My game against mcnulty was an actual game in the third quarter. And I put Bryce brown in after it was a blowout. Suck my dick.

and yet somehow bryce brown has 1 rush for 5 yards. not saying *I* consider it to be stat padding. i'm saying i can look at any game and any situation and say "welp he was stat padding!" you also beat the cowboys 42-0 in the CPU game... had 211 yards rushing with mccoy, 3 TD's. am i to believe you took mccoy out for the 4th quarter when you had a 28-0 lead? i dont know. sanjuro got 23 catches or whatever with fitz in a close game. couldn't i make the case that he was padding his stats for fitz? couldn't i say he was purposely feeding fitz just to get his stats up? he obviously could have spread the ball around but didn't. now fitz is his best player, so you want the ball in his hands. you see where that line is?

DCX

DCX
and yet somehow bryce brown has 1 rush for 5 yards. not saying *I* consider it to be stat padding. i'm saying i can look at any game and any situation and say "welp he was stat padding!" you also beat the cowboys 42-0 in the CPU game... had 211 yards rushing with mccoy, 3 TD's. am i to believe you took mccoy out for the 4th quarter when you had a 28-0 lead? i dont know. sanjuro got 23 catches or whatever with fitz in a close game. couldn't i make the case that he was padding his stats for fitz? couldn't i say he was purposely feeding fitz just to get his stats up? he obviously could have spread the ball around but didn't. now fitz is his best player, so you want the ball in his hands. you see where that line is?
we already deemed Fitz game legit due to it being close. If he did it winning 60-0 than yes that's stat padding. He did it and only won by a touchdown if I remember correct. Jesus I thought you made that difference back then. Do I have to quote you again?!

DCX

LukeSmith

What ram did or didn't do is documented a few pages ago - along with some hilarity - I said I didn't think it was ultimately a big deal and proposed ending the anti- dbag legislation because it does mostly amount to subjectivity on what is or isn't running up the score.

Do people think what he did against the CPU was punishment worthy? Why even have punishment or try and enforce a bunch of rules? It leads to more crying, complaining and fighting than its worth.

I think Ramirez punting inside the 20 to not run up the score but still passing all over the place is stat padding, but he did it against the CPU, I am sure it wouldn't happen against storybook.

I'm just going pontius Pilate with Ramirez. It was against the CPU and there's not much to fault. He's yours, Judeans.

we already deemed Fitz game legit due to it being close. If he did it winning 60-0 than yes that's stat padding. He did it and only won by a touchdown if I remember correct. Jesus I thought you made that difference back then. Do I have to quote you again?!

DCX

but remember, stat padding and running up the score don't necessarily have to happen in the same game. i understand it was a close game.... but 23 catches? i can make the case that he was just padding fitz' stats!

and the main thing with ramirez game is that it happened against the CPU. i can go look through most CPU games played and say "well this looks like stat padding to me" to different degrees

McNei1y

Guys, just like the game I had vs Ram, this game was also a game except for a play here and there that just resulted in a TD.

I was down by 3 at one point with the ball in the 3rd against CB. After giving up a TD and a 2pt conversion, I couldn't move the ball. McCoy was the complete opposite. A stupid run up the middle and BAM a wide gap for a TD. Then when I got the ball back, RGIII threw a pick or someone fumbled. It wasn't even a game in the 4th. CB didn't run up the score or stat pad, it just happened that way.

Guys guys, I'll just leave the league if Fitz is going to be an issue.

fitz isn't an issue. you're missing the point. i'm saying a lot of this stuff is SUBJECTIVE. if you want to throw to fitz 23 times then do it! i'm not going to suspend him 4 games because i think you could have thrown to other people and just wanted to get him stats. do you get what i'm saying?

Sanjuro

but remember, stat padding and running up the score don't necessarily have to happen in the same game. i understand it was a close game.... but 23 catches? i can make the case that he was just padding fitz' stats!

and the main thing with ramirez game is that it happened against the CPU. i can go look through most CPU games played and say "well this looks like stat padding to me" to different degrees

You can't make that case, because I don't care about stats! Cheesin the franchise receiver? Sure.

Top Bottom