• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Madden '15 PS4 League Thread: Wards? Where We're Going We Dont Need....Wards

Ferny

Its not free it costs your soul.

DotA2 is still monetized though. Its just about the only game that is monetized in a way that isn't outright abusive of the players (depending upon how you feel about some of League's non cosmetic pay aspects).

Unfortunately very few developers understand how to monetize their game in ways that will be both profitable and consumer friendly.

I think this is more because Valve has Steam behind them. They can afford to do things like TF2 and Dota 2 where they only charge for cosmetics.

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
Honest question, how much have you guys spent? I bet that in the long run that likely makes more money. That's how Team Fortress works right?

They should have charged for dota after the long beta and then also charge for cosmetic stuff.

Im not sure. last time i was around 100 bucks. I would guess 150 but i wouldnt be too shocked if it were 200 or a little above.

Still, the cost to time played ratio blows anything else out of the water if thats the way you want to look at it.

The only thing i ever feel super obligated to buy each year is the TI compendium (and points for said compendium). Its a nice little enhancement and you generally get alot of cool shit from it.

eznark

Banned
Im not sure. last time i was around 100 bucks. I would guess 150 but i wouldnt be too shocked if it were 200 or a little above.

Still, the cost to time played ratio blows anything else out of the water if thats the way you want to look at it.

The only thing i ever feel super obligated to buy each year is the TI compendium (and points for said compendium). Its a nice little enhancement and you generally get alot of cool shit from it.

Yep. A $60 game would have to have provided me with 375 hours of entertainment so I am still way, way ahead even with $450 put into it.

brentech

Honest question, how much have you guys spent? I bet that in the long run that likely makes more money. That's how Team Fortress works right?

They should have charged for dota after the long beta and then also charge for cosmetic stuff.

1735 hrs on record
$170 spent

BigAT

My shame is not from money spent, but from time played. Don't have access to my purchase stats right now, but I'd guess $75-100.

eznark

Banned
My shame is not from money spent, but from time played. Don't have access to my purchase stats right now, but I'd guess $75-100.

I'd feel worse about it if I had missed any great games but the last three years have been pretty fucking shit outside of a handful of real gems. Realistically I'm usually going to be playing something from about 9pm - 4am, may as well be something I like.

DJ Bowser

archer-season-3-13-space-race-part-2-archer-come-out-play-warriors-parody.jpg

Smoooookey, come out to plaaaaaaaaaay!

Well, wait until 10pm... But srsly.

Same for me. I'd guess around $100, but time played is ridiculously high. Though it's hard to tell how much of that time is playing the game and how much of the time is idling in the lobby.

BigAT

Though it's hard to tell how much of that time is playing the game and how much of the time is idling in the lobby.

This is the lie I tell myself as well. "Think of how much time you probably were idle with the client open! You don't actually have 3500 hours played, only a crazy person would do that..."

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
This is the lie I tell myself as well. "Think of how much time you probably were idle with the client open! You don't actually have 3500 hours played, only a crazy person would do that..."

Games played are a better measure of things.

You have around 1800 more than me!

eznark

Banned

You're right. It's only 2,084 hours of game time! Also known as 87 days. Holy christ. You have basically three times as many hours played as me. I'm about equal to Crow.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
I checked, ez was not exaggerating that number wow.

Holy shit... 3500+ hours. Almost 100 working weeks.

Are these actual hours played or hours where the game is up and you guys are doing other shit?

I think this is more because Valve has Steam behind them. They can afford to do things like TF2 and Dota 2 where they only charge for cosmetics.

They also have a game concept that they didn't have to create and market themselves. All they had to do was figure out how to monetize it (and they took one of the most obvious routes) and tada!

BigAT

I checked, ez was not exaggerating that number wow.

Holy shit... 3500+ hours. Almost 100 working weeks.

Are these actual hours played or hours where the game is up and you guys are doing other shit?

It's just how long the client has been open, but as stated above I do have 2000+ actual hours played.
p93bKVP.gif

SickBoy

GG, Sickboy. I thought I lost the game when Lynch fumbled.

ALSO, HARVIN AGAIN INJURED FOR THE REST OF THE YEAR.

This fucking guy.

gg... I wish that fumble wasn't so late, and Alex Smith wasn't so terrible. You saw how off that open underneath pass was on that third and long... horrible. I though, "oh, I can make this a manageable fourth down." NOPE (as Alex Smith overthrows the crossing route by nearly five yards.)

I felt like the fumble was a Madden Makeup Play (TM) for the continued problem with my team: no one on D can make a catch to save their life (not that there were a ton of should-been-INTs ...maybe three, and mainly in the first half). Still, aside from that frustrating issue, you were moving the ball well. I didn't have a whole lot of opportunity on offence -- mostly big plays and three-and-outs.

I enjoy playing defence, but I've been doing a bit too much of it in the past couple of weeks :)

DJ Bowser

Someone is going to miss the playoffs in the NFC with 11+ wins.

Conference is trash.

Also, I've PMed Smokey, posted here, and messaged him on PSN the past couple days. We were supposed to play Sunday night but something came up for him and he couldn't. He hasn't responded to anything the past couple days (though he posted a couple times today)... if he doesn't show up to play some time tonight, could one of our fearless and glorious commissioners put him on AP so I can play the game before the 'vance before I work tomorrow?

Top Bottom