• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official NBA2K9 GAF Season...6(?) Thread!

DiddyBop

smokey,thanks for the beating earlier:lol i learned a lot about your defense and player tendancies, but being undressed by houston twice in a row was harsh.

bigAT,our game was affected by lag,i know it messed you up because some of your guys were missing wide open jumpers,the lag affected the release points. do you by chance happen to live in toronto since you use the raps?

Smokey

AkaBalla said:
Smokey clarify this please..

It's PIP - 2nd chance = total PIP

I dunno why he has fast break in there. Fast breaks don't count for anything...they're just there to let you know.

Hunter D said:
Can someone put up step by step how to upload vids.

I have multiple times in the thread. Do a search and see if anything comes up.

DiddyBop said:
smokey,thanks for the beating earlier:lol i learned a lot about your defense and player tendancies, but being undressed by houston twice in a row was harsh.

Well I'm going to bring it against you anytime I play you, whether for real or in a scrimmage. You gave me my one loss so everytime we play I'm aiming for a beatdown against you:lol

GG Denog. Caught me by surprise how you came out in the 1st quarter. That and I couldn't make too much. 2nd quarter I got focused and won the quarter 26-7, but you did impress me. Surprised you didn't go after Artest more when he had 4 fouls in the 2nd quarter.

AirBrian

I think the confusion about fast break points is because in the OP you have:

-50 points in paint is MAX for a game. This DOES NOT include fast break points or second chance points. This is plenty. Now that 2K9 actually has a mid-range game this really shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Also, Spurs and 76ers, I should be around tomorrow evening to play some games!

AirBrian

One more thing...if you're up 20 points with 2 minutes left, there's no reason to keep jacking up 3s or go for alley-oops. Show some fucking respect.

Smokey

AirBrian said:
I think the confusion about fast break points is because in the OP you have:

Also, Spurs and 76ers, I should be around tomorrow evening to play some games!

Ah okay I changed the wording.

PIP - 2nd chance = total pip

fastbreak points are just...there. They don't help you nor hurt you.

ecnal

if we're going to discuss a lot of rules atm, i would like to talk about a non-existent rule that should probably be looked at...

specifically, in my game vs true, he intentionally fouled me to stop fast breaks (i'd say this happened ~3 times). however, the game never called a clear path foul even though i'd have a person on the opposite side of the court wide open.

because the game doesn't enforce clear path fouls, we shouldn't allow people to intentionally foul to stop fast breaks--it's an exploit because i should be getting a free throw and the ball back.

discuss.

ive gotten a clear path foul call before, although i think it was in single player and not online.

could be an online issue though cause i have never seen it called online.

ecnal

AirBrian said:
I've gotten clear path fouls before online.

in our league, since the patch?

im not sure how nash getting fouled @ the FT line, no defender past half court, and a wide open teamate @ the opposite FT line isn't a clear path foul... happened several times.

AirBrian

Not since the patch, but I've only played 3 games since the patch was released. Before that, yes. In last year's league too. It's very rare, but they do exist.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
ecnal said:
if we're going to discuss a lot of rules atm, i would like to talk about a non-existent rule that should probably be looked at...

specifically, in my game vs true, he intentionally fouled me to stop fast breaks (i'd say this happened ~3 times). however, the game never called a clear path foul even though i'd have a person on the opposite side of the court wide open.

because the game doesn't enforce clear path fouls, we shouldn't allow people to intentionally foul to stop fast breaks--it's an exploit because i should be getting a free throw and the ball back.

discuss.

Well we actually did have a rule in the past that we needed to enforce regarding this issue. I only do it out of frustration when I'm getting murdered by lag. If there was a button to start a bench clearing brawl I would hit that one. :D I don't mean to do it to take away a score, I do it just like I would if I was on the court. I would grab you by your throat and throw you to the ground. :D Yeah I've been tossed from a few games in my day. Oh well.

And yes I have been called for a clear path foul this season. A couple of times I think.

AkaBalla

ecnal said:
in our league, since the patch?

im not sure how nash getting fouled @ the FT line, no defender past half court, and a wide open teamate @ the opposite FT line isn't a clear path foul... happened several times.

Yes it does

It only calls the clear path foul if the ball handler is ahead of the defensive players...

It doesnt matter if a non ball handler is way beyond the defense.

AkaBalla

I have connections with the 2k web engineer, I have asked if he could include 2nd chance points in the team stats box score on the website.

Stay tuned...

Also is there anything you guys would like to see on the website? Please make request realistic and i can forward ideas to him.

Some things he added due to us asking... Trade block and injuries on the website.

ecnal

AkaBalla said:
Yes it does

It only calls the clear path foul if the ball handler is ahead of the defensive players...

It doesnt matter if a non ball handler is way beyond the defense.

hmmm, ok.

so, smokey & true, it's a legal tactic to intentionally foul to stop wide open fast breaks?

Smokey

AkaBalla said:
I have connections with the 2k web engineer, I have asked if he could include 2nd chance points in the team stats box score on the website.

Stay tuned...

Also is there anything you guys would like to see on the website? Please make request realistic and i can forward ideas to him.

Some things he added due to us asking... Trade block and injuries on the website.

I can't think of anything else besides 2nd chance points being shown.

Although you could pass along to him the HUGE desire for a spectator mode for 2k10:D .

As far as intentionally fouling on fast breaks...I wouldn't make a habit out of it. One it's not fun, and two you run the risk of getting called for a clear path foul turning 2 pts into potentially 4.

ecnal

Smokey said:
As far as intentionally fouling on fast breaks...I wouldn't make a habit out of it. One it's not fun, and two you run the risk of getting called for a clear path foul turning 2 pts into potentially 4.

supposed to run the risk of getting a clear path foul.

aka balla's description of how the game rules clear path fouls makes sense, because there would be 1 defender on nash (committing the foul), but that would be the only person "in-between" the ball and the wide open teamate at the opposite side of the court.

not to whine about what happened or try to make true out to be some bad guy (i do believe that he was doing it out of frustration rather than exploiting), but he only intentionally fouled me when it was blatantly obvious i was going to get a break away dunk--he let me run other fast breaks when he actually had defenders back.

seems like an un-legit tactic--easy way to take away guaranteed 2 points, all you have to do is run a defender in front of the ball handler and intentionally foul him; no clear path violation.

it's not like it could be exploited every time (it's an easy way to get over the foul limit), but in certain situations it's a guaranteed fix to a breakaway fastbreak--that's my concern with it being an exploit.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Smokey said:
GG Denog. Caught me by surprise how you came out in the 1st quarter. That and I couldn't make too much. 2nd quarter I got focused and won the quarter 26-7, but you did impress me. Surprised you didn't go after Artest more when he had 4 fouls in the 2nd quarter.

I tried. I quite honestly was focusing so much on stopping AI and Ming that Artest got pushed back on the backburner. McGrady, Artest, AI, and Ming is pretty hard to strategize against.

GG, by the way.

For those I have yet to play, I should be around tonight. I would like to see some of the Panthers game. FMT, AKABalla, and the owners of the Pistons and Bucks(?): When are good times for you this week?

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
FrenchMovieTheme said:
i'm usually available after 5 pm pst denogg, you name the date and time and ill try to make it!
I will see how things go tonight but I may be able to start late in the second quarter of the Panthers/Bucs game. I will be on AIM and we can try to connect there. OK?

daw840

Alright guys, I'm back. Looks like a missed a lot of drama.:lol

I apologize to the Lakers if I "broke" any rules. But at the end of our game, I did PIP - 2nd chance - fastbreak and came up with about 48 PIP total. Fastbreak points count because 99% of them are dunks or layups. I mean, I have played 20-30 games and scrimmages with a lot of people in this league and no one EVER said anything about the way I play. Never. Let me ask this. I play a LOT of fastbreaks, if I get a steal or a DEF rebound I immediately try to pass the ball up court and get a 2 on 1 situation. Am I supposed to just pull up on my fastbreaks and shoot outside of the paint?

edit: Just out of curiosity, does GAF usually delete all of your subscribed threads after a ban?

ecnal

total PIP = PIP - 2nd chance points; you don't subtract fast break points--they're tracked as a separate stat.

per from the first post in the thread:

-50 points in paint is MAX for a game. Points in Paint - 2nd chance points = total points in paint. This is plenty. Now that 2K9 actually has a mid-range game this really shouldn't be too much of an issue.

daw840

ecnal said:
total PIP = PIP - 2nd chance points; you don't subtract fast break points--they're tracked as a separate stat.

per from the first post in the thread:

I'm well aware of the first post in the thread. BTW, that was changed in the last couple of days because the wording before was that you subtracted FB and 2nd chance pts.

Smokey

Here is my reasoning for not counting fastbreak points...

If FB points were to be subtracted from the equation, what that is doing is giving off the impression that it would be in a players best interest to fast break as much as possible during a game, b/c the points would be subtracted anyway.

For instance say that I have 70 PIP. I only have 8 2nd chance points, yet I have 15 fastbreak points. That would give me a total of 47 PIP. Now looking at that, it would appear that if I was this player it would be to my advantage to run as much as I can...b/c those FB points would offset the shitload of PIP that I scored b/c they are subtracted.

Now that same scenario with fast break points taken out I would have 62 total PIP, way above the limit of 50. With FB not in the equation it makes players incorporate more into their game instead of being able to use FB points as a crutch to get out of a situation.

Yes, I understand that fastbreak points are technically PIP. But I can see plenty of opportunities where the loophole could be exploited to stay under the PIP limit. As it is now, they neither help nor hurt you. They're just there.

Does this make sense?

Also I got this response when I PMd one of the 2k devs earlier:
Thanks for the note. I'll ask around about that second chance points issue...it should definitly be counting those. And i hear your wish for spectator mode. We're getting that a lot lately...:)

HMMM

daw840

I guess True isn't around, anyone want to scrim? I need to alter my game playing style apparently and would like a little online practice.

Smokey

daw840 said:
I guess True isn't around, anyone want to scrim? I need to alter my game playing style apparently and would like a little online practice.

i would but im watching the mess that is heroes:lol

you know, if we applied dynamic PIP, we wouldn't be having this issue. just saying.
daw840 said:
you. let's roll.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
ecnal said:
supposed not to whine about what happened or try to make true out to be some bad guy (i do believe that he was doing it out of frustration rather than exploiting), but he only intentionally fouled me when it was blatantly obvious i was going to get a break away dunk--he let me run other fast breaks when he actually had defenders back.

seems like an un-legit tactic--easy way to take away guaranteed 2 points, all you have to do is run a defender in front of the ball handler and intentionally foul him; no clear path violation.

it's not like it could be exploited every time (it's an easy way to get over the foul limit), but in certain situations it's a guaranteed fix to a breakaway fastbreak--that's my concern with it being an exploit.

The rule in the past was not more than 3 times a game. It is not a unrealistic tactic and once when I did it to you I had Big Z at zero bars of energy and was a perfect time to force a stoppage in play. I don't use it as a "tactic". I would like to think I am the most worried about the rules out of everyone here.

If you watch NBA games teams will take clear path fouls at times. It happens.

daw840

Truelize said:
The rule in the past was not more than 3 times a game. It is not a unrealistic tactic and once when I did it to you I had Big Z at zero bars of energy and was a perfect time to force a stoppage in play. I don't use it as a "tactic". I would like to think I am the most worried about the rules out of everyone here.

If you watch NBA games teams will take clear path fouls at times. It happens.

When do you want to play our game?

daw840

You know, now that I think about the PIP rule and Smokey saying that fast break points neither help nor hurt I think it doesn't make sense. Technically they would hurt you. Because every time you get a legitimate fast break you get PIP at the same time. That would cut down on the number of drives to the basket you would have under a normal possession. Just something to think about, I don't really care either way. I will play as is prescribed in the rules.

Top Bottom