• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Wkd Box Office 07•17–19•09 - spic-and-span Harry is still lucky, punk

Status
Not open for further replies.

xaosslug

1z1gztu.jpg
xby7ep.jpg
2055w81.jpg
ra9t20.jpg
2073ivs.jpg

rottenwatch box office:
1zva2wj.gif
84% Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
21c5en8.gif
45% Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs
21e8cxi.gif
20% Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen
4tlpah.gif
69% Brüno
vsoqw5.gif
79% The Hangover
qnk8jm.gif
90% 500 Days of Summer

metacritic box office:

*click pic(s) for source(s)*

'Harry Potter' conjures up $79.5 million. Five-day domestic take totals $159.7 million

Warner Bros.’ “Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince” grossed an estimated $79.5 million from 4,325 theaters over the weekend for a five-day domestic opening of $159.7 million, the best start ever for the still-magical franchise.

Film also was an international powerhouse. Foreign grosses will be released later this morning.

Elsewhere at the domestic B.O., Sacha Baron Cohen’s “Bruno” fell a steep 73% in its second weekend. The Universal pic grossed an estimated $8.4 million from 2,759 theaters for a 10-day cume of $49.6 million, making it unlikely that the mockumentary will come anywhere near what Cohen’s “Borat” cumed domestically ($128.5 million).

“Bruno” placed No. 4 for the weekend, after “Half-Blood Prince,” 20th Century Fox’s “Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs” ($17.7 million) and Paramount’s “Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen” ($13.8 million).

On the specialty side, Fox Searchlight’s offbeat rom com “500 Days of Summer” posted a boffo per location average of $31,000 as it opened in 27 theaters, grossing an estimated $837,500.

*click pic for full list/source*

jtb

Banned
Wow at Bruno's drop. Just 50,000 away from the Hangover. Also, I'm surprised Harry Potter had such a tiny step up from OoTP, considering the huge midnight showing, and all the hype about this one being "the best one yet". I doubt this one hits 300 million, though it might hit 1 billion WW (at least it has a better shot at 1 billion, than 300 million domestic).

Edit: Also, at this point, I say TF2 limps to 400 million, considering how there is no viable competition left this summer. None. It's stablizing at around 40% drops, will probably hover around 30% drops next weekend, leaving it with just enough momentum to hit 400 million.

unnecessary bruno bashing incoming blah blah blah borat was better blah blah blah the hangover was better rant rant

yawn.

syllogism

canova said:
Transformer 2 is inching closer to 400M, can it make it??
It can, but it's far from a "lock" unless you assume Paramount will fudge the numbers which could very well be a lock since it will get very close regardless. It needs sub-40% drops and soon.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
SanjuroTsubaki said:
I can't believe boring no jokes/action shit like Harry Potter makes this much money.

Maybe because kids like Harry Potter?

*umad.jpg?* (amidoinitrite, GAF?)

I'm surprised Transformers 2 is doing good, given how much everyone panned it.

Sanjuro

TheSeks said:

I am mad. Idiots going to see crap like Harry Potter where AMC Classics like Transformers 2: Revenge of the Fallen are getting the shaft.

WJD

SanjuroTsubaki said:
I am mad. Idiots going to see crap like Harry Potter where AMC Classics like Transformers 2: Revenge of the Fallen are getting the shaft.

You funny.

har har

duckroll

TF2 will hit 400 million, but 450 million is pretty much a lost cause now. Worldwide I'll expect a total of 800-850 million or so. Can't wait for Unicron in TF3! :D

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
73% drop for the second weekend!! Wow

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
NomarTyme said:
Bomba. America already sick of his ass.

Well, I didn't like Borat... so I didn't go see Bruno.

SanjuroTsubaki said:

*notsureifserious.jpg*

No, seriously... I'm not sure if you're joking or not.

The first Transformers wasn't that good, either. Why people have some lovefest for it besides Megan Fox, I dunno.

Though, I did like "the Rock" so Bay does have some good in him among the piles of crap he releases. :/

DAMN IT I KEEP THINKING SPOILERS IS THE TAG. DAMN YOU "S!"

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
TheSeks said:

Well Transformers brings in such a diverse audience. It gets children and adults, and it was basically review proof during its opening weekend. But it has had a massive slowdown since then. It obviously is getting bad word of mouth and very little repeat viewings. I bet a lot of people are hearing it isn't that great, so they'll just wait for the dvd.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
500 Days of Summer per theater average = :D

My distaste for slow rollouts of films, however, is still high. I missed Brother Bloom because I had no diea when it'd be in my area!

Vyer

Was Borat a big opening? I can't remember.

Hangover deserves the success. Happy to see it.

Also, was a bit disappointed in HP. Dragged horribly, terrible pacing, a lot less enjoyable than the last two. Still, that it will continue to make money is not a surprise.

FuturusX

Lion Heart said:
The Hangovers profits are Ridiculous. More than Transformers.

Transformers 2:
With a marketing budget of $150 million dollars...it's the equivalent of shovelling 200 million tons of liquid shit with the largest fleet of dump trucks ever assembled.

BattleMonkey said:
Making over 160 million in a few weeks after it's initial release is now considered front loaded? Keep moving those goal posts!
62+% drop its second weekend. That's not front-loaded? Oh wait, it was July 4th right?

t-storm

BattleMonkey said:
Making over 160 million in a few weeks after it's initial release is now considered front loaded? Keep moving those goal posts!
tru dat...

and someone please quote the douche(s) in last week's thread who said TF2 won't crack 400m.

SuperBonk

People seem to be attributing quality as the reason for Transformers 2's (not so) terrible legs when the far more likely candidate is that it was a sequel.

t-storm said:
tru dat...

and someone please quote the douche(s) in last week's thread who said TF2 won't crack 400m.

Someone please quote the douche(s) in last week's thread who were guaranteeing that TF2 would crack 400m and be the biggest movie of the year.

gtj1092

How is making 50% of your gross in your first weekend front loaded and a sign of failure especially when that first weekend is 200million:lol

Its behaving like your average blockbuster :/

You've got to be pretty jaded to try and spin being the biggest movie of the year into a failure.

gimmmick

The fact that it cost warner brothers 35 mil to make the hang over, that is f`n amazing. Really strong legs this year.

I seriously can't believe TF2 is going to be the highest grossing film the year :lol

DevelopmentArrested said:
Wow @ Hangover. Pretty incredible numbers.
Lol @ Transformers 2. Talk about front-loaded.

and go watch THE HURT LOCKER! Best movie of the year.
LOL, wut?

Less than 30% of it's take so far came from the first weekend (Same as Dark Knight by the way) and it's still making money. Even if you changed the goalpost to "First three days" since it opened in the middle of the week it's still tracking at around 35%, better than a lot of other similar movies such as Pirates 2 or more recently Wolverine.

62+% drop its second weekend. That's not front-loaded? Oh wait, it was July 4th right?

Pretty much every high opening gross summer movie sees a 50%+ drop it's second week, it's the nature of making so much so quickly. The last Harry Potter saw around a 60% drop it's second week and managed to be the best grossing film since the original.

SuperBonk

typhonsentra said:
LOL, wut?

Less than 30% of it's take so far came from the first weekend (Same as Dark Knight by the way) and it's still making money. Even if you changed the goalpost to "First three days" since it opened in the middle of the week it's still tracking at around 35%, better than a lot of other similar movies such as Pirates 2 or more recently Wolverine.
It most definitely is not tracking better than Pirates 2. Perhaps you meant Pirates 3 (which is still hard to make the case for since its paltry opening Thursday gross means that its first 3 days actually make up a far lower percentage of its total gross than Transformers 2's first 3 days).

Also, Transformers 2, while not having the terrible legs of movies like Wolverine and other movies released this year alone, is certainly faring much worse than the Dark Knight.

ZeoVGM

Banned

You're not really trying to continue denying July 4th falling on a Saturday impacting the numbers, are you? In last week's thread, I showed you why that made the drop bigger than it would have been, showing the huge dropoffs from the 3rd to 4th for other movies.

I'll even quote it for you:

Because, yet again, the only reason it dropped 61% was due to the 4th being on a Saturday. The numbers show this.

July 3rd: 51%
July 4th: 73%
July 5th: 57%

Here's the Proposal, which had its third week fall on the same weekend:

July 3rd: 15%
July 4th: 50%
July 5th: 23%

The Hangover?

July 3rd: 15%
July 4th: 57%
July 5th: 22%

To deny the 4th falling on a Saturday impacted the numbers negatively is simply wrong.

I had no intention of arguing this yet again. Wasn't even a thought coming into the thread. But for some reason you feel the need to mock people said it, dragging it into this thread as well.

FuturusX

typhonsentra said:
LOL, wut?

Spoken like a true studio exec....You have a bright future son.

ryutaro's mama said:
*cue irfan and nomg wrong to shit up the thread.

omg rite said:
You're not really trying to continue denying July 4th falling on a Saturday impacting the numbers, are you? In last week's thread, I showed you why that made the drop bigger than it would have been, showing the huge dropoffs from the 3rd to 4th for other movies.

I'll even quote it for you:

To deny the 4th falling on a Saturday impacted the numbers negatively is simply wrong.

I had no intention of arguing this yet again. Wasn't even a thought coming into the thread. But for some reason you feel the need to mock people said it, dragging it into this thread as well.

One down...

ZeoVGM

Banned
ryutaro's mama said:
One down...

You're a hypocrite.

If DevelopmentArrested was the one to bring up the topic again, wouldn't he be shitting up the thread?

Ah, of course not. You'll ignore that. It's okay for him to bring it up again, but not okay for someone to reply to him. They're the ones shitting up the thread.

SuperBonk said:
It most definitely is not tracking better than Pirates 2. Perhaps you meant Pirates 3.
Why not? It only needs to make 400 million to match the percentages (Assuming w're talking about first 3 days and not weekends).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom